The Tim McCarver Memorial Post-Season MLB Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2@NYC said:
Headache, never ever reject a supporter, you may regret it... :|

you're more than welcome to do whatever you'd like, of course... but you're not going to get many met fans to embrace someone who roots for the yankees, first. you may have been living in new york for 5 years, but if you believe that would happen, you must have been living under a rock.

met fans have as much dislike and hatred for the yankees as red sox fans do.

well... maybe not that much :wink:

but it's close

zoney! said:

Define pretty.

Seriously...if the homeless, drug dealers and taxi cab drivers sludging through discarded food wrappers, chewing gum and other unidentifiable things is "pretty" - then, yeah, NYC is "pretty"!!!

You need to travel more!

:mad:

come on zoney... they've been throwing the homeless into jersey since the giulliani regime :wink:

while the city (well... at least manhattan) is cleaner and safer than it perhaps has ever been these days, pretty isn't exactly the word i'd use. vancouver is pretty. new york is sexy.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
vancouver is pretty. new york is sexy.

EXACTLY!

Vancouver is by far the prettiest city in all of North America. HANDS DOWN!

And you haven't seen ugly until you've been to Decatur, Ill. ;)

:hmm:

Originally posted by U2@NYC The ugliest city in the U.S. beats the prettiest city in the U.S.

He said U.S. - I think he may be predicting the outcome of the Cards/Padres series.

:hmm:

waits for the shitstorm from the St. Louis locals.

but it was just getting good :flirt::wink:

Nice and slow now... You don't expect me to give it all up at once, do ya? :flirt:

Detroit's not the prettiest city, I agree, but it's better than it has been in a lot of years.

Originally posted by Headache
vancouver is pretty. new york is sexy.

Truer words were never spoken. :drool:

you're more than welcome to do whatever you'd like, of course... but you're not going to get many met fans to embrace someone who roots for the yankees, first. you may have been living in new york for 5 years, but if you believe that would happen, you must have been living under a rock.

met fans have as much dislike and hatred for the yankees as red sox fans do.

well... maybe not that much :wink:

but it's close

The same thing happened last year in Chicago. Lots and lots of bandwagon jumpers. :angry: Even douchebag extraordinaire John Cusack tried to jump on the White Sox bandwagon. (Huge Cub fan, by the way.) His request for World Series tickets was denied! :happy: The story even made the 10 pm news.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Nice and slow now... You don't expect me to give it all up at once, do ya? :flirt:

:whistle:

:wink:

Go Cards - I can't root for the Paddies cause they put out the Phils. Of course, MLB takes a back seat to the 5PM football games today... :hyper:

lupica's throwing his weight behind the story too... so it's a little more credible than, say, if it was the post.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was based on Steinbrenner's gut reaction, and that after a couple of days to settle down, things change.

That's why I'll wait for something official first.

phanan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this was based on Steinbrenner's gut reaction, and that after a couple of days to settle down, things change.

That's why I'll wait for something official first.

i actually think it would be a good move... the yankees need someone to light a fire under their ass and who isn't afraid to tell a guy making 10 million that it's ok to make a productive out now and then... which is exactly what sweet lou would provide.

thus why i hope the story isn't true and torre stays :happy:

Well, Steinbrenner had better be sure that Lou Piniella will take the job, 'cause he's the only man who would want to take the job under these circumstances. If Torre is out and Lou declines the job, the Yankees will be in some trouble.

ah headache, now my sworn enemy (even moreso than usual)

signature bet?

loser uses signature of winners choice until the end of the world series

interesting to see if carpenter goes game 2 on 3 days rest and then game 5 on 3 days rest or game 6 on full rest. of course, thats getting way ahead.

StlElevation said:
interesting to see if carpenter goes game 2 on 3 days rest and then game 5 on 3 days rest or game 6 on full rest. of course, thats getting way ahead.

having to start carpenter tonight really hurts, but oh well. i think the rotation will look something like this

G1: Weaver
G2: Suppan
G3: Carpenter
G4: Reyes
G5: Weaver
G6: Suppan
G7: Carpenter

if larussa starts marquis over reyes in the NLCS ill blow a gasket

Man, my predictions were off. I got one of the four correct.

Chizip said:

having to start carpenter tonight really hurts, but oh well. i think the rotation will look something like this

i wouldn't be shocked to see carpenter pitch game 2 on short rest and then game 5 on short rest. saving him for game 3 and then hoping there's a game seven seems like a difficult thing to do having the best pitcher in the league, or at least the series, possibly only pitching once.

having said that, who knows how effective he'll be on three days rest. he's a big guy, not a small guy ala peavy or pedro so i think he'd fare pretty well on short rest.

i would rather see reyes over marquis as well. weaver in game 1 makes me nauseated... though he did shut down an anemic padres lineup.

also if you go with Carp 2 and Suppan 3, then you get suppan at home...but i guess that didn't work out yesterday.

Chizip said:
ah headache, now my sworn enemy (even moreso than usual)

signature bet?

loser uses signature of winners choice until the end of the world series

deal... and then some.

if the mets can't beat the cardinals, they don't deserve to go to the world series.

even if ya give carpenter the 2 wins, which isn't a gaurantee by any stretch... if the mets offense can't get 4 wins off of weaver, supan and reyes/marquis, with that makeshift bullpen st. louis has, well then, they deserve to go home with their heads between their tails, much like the yankees did.

i am very confident.

Last edited:
StlElevation said:

having said that, who knows how effective he'll be on three days rest. he's a big guy, not a small guy ala peavy or pedro so i think he'd fare pretty well on short rest.

duncan siad he they wont pitch carpenter on short rest

deal... and then some.

if the mets can't beat the cardinals, they don't deserve to go to the world series.

even if ya give carpenter the 2 wins, which isn't a gaurantee by any stretch... if the mets offense can't get 4 wins off of weaver, supan and reyes/marquis, with that makeshift bullpen st. louis has, well then, they deserve to go home with their heads between their tails, much like the yankees did.

i am very confident.

frankly after the past couple years, i like being the underdog

since nobody expects them to win, there really is no pressure on the cardinals, and thats good for a larussa team

should be fun

speedracer said:
This is just a rumor right now, but it seems that George Steinbrenner has gone completely nuts and is going to fire Joe Torre.
Right because its Torre's fault that they are paying a guy $25Million to bat 8th in the playoffs and go 1 for 14.

Time to look at the way business is done in the Bronx and realize throwing more money at things is not the solution, development of players is.

Look at the dominant Yanks of the late 90's...core was Jeter, BWilliams, Posada, Rivera...home grown.

Then in the 2000's...as the core players aged, the Yanks went the mercinary route rather than restocking with youth...starting with Mussina, adding the likes of Sheffield, ARoid, Unit and others, and have no champonships to show for it.

Torre is not the problem, the Yankee philosophy is, so either Steinbrenner or Cashman should go, and Cashman is not the problem either.

Chizip said:

Yikes - Weaver in Game One. I know he pitched well last time out, but that can't be the most confident thing to see if you are a Cardinals fan.

phanan said:

Yikes - Weaver in Game One. I know he pitched well last time out, but that can't be the most confident thing to see if you are a Cardinals fan.

no, but he did pitch a huge game to get the cardinals into the playoffs, and then pitched a great game in san diego, so if he could somehow steal that first game, that would be huge as carpenter would then be going up against trachsel or oliver perez in game 3.

i actually prefer not having homefield advantage in this round, because i really feel the 2-3-2 format gives the advantage to the road team. if they can win 1 of the first 2 on the road, they then get 3 home games in a row.

im not saying the cardinals are the favorites in this series, but im definitely not throwing in the towel before the series starts.

With the Mets' injuries to the rotation, the Cards have a legit shot...expect this series to be a slugfest.

Someone get word to Scott Spiezio that he looks ridiculous with that "Cardinal Red Imperial".

The AL games will look more like NL games and vice versa score wise.

Tiggers and A's are built on pitching, Cards and Mets (now at least) are gonna be more of hitting clubs.

450speizio_tattoo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom