The Temple Bar - WELCOME back Kat! -now UYFA and get ready for ITTH!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reggie Thee Dog said:
< Is drinkin' right now...:D

snowbunny00774 said:
everything. dogs, family, houses, friends, plans, dreams. :sigh:

So, if i'm following this story: The dog ate your family causing them to become dark angry spirits that haunt your house like those freaky ghosts in Poltergeist and they killed all your friends, thus leading you to have to cancel your plans due to a lengthy jail term which will in fact, most likely though not definitely, put a halt on your dreams - or perhaps will cause bad dreams. I'm unclear there. Either way, that sucks. Sorry.

UberBeaver said:

So, if i'm following this story: The dog ate your family causing them to become dark angry spirits that haunt your house like those freaky ghosts in Poltergeist and they killed all your friends, thus leading you to have to cancel your plans due to a lengthy jail term which will in fact, most likely though not definitely, put a halt on your dreams - or perhaps will cause bad dreams. I'm unclear there. Either way, that sucks. Sorry.

I've been there. Bummer.

Oh yeah, the Tolkien book - Im just into the first chapter, and I like it. Elves and Men and shit, lots of drama. It's Tolkien. But the son writes it well - it's written as a book, not a history like the Simillarion. It's strange to say, but it's "fiction", where as the Similiarian and Lost Tales are "non-fiction" and I am scaring the shit out of myself for saying that "outloud".

I look forward to reading it.

I read the Silmarillion. Had so much trouble making it past the first 100 pages or so, and then, it just sort of became this incredible saga, or so I thought....I really enjoyed it, even found it to be touching.

I know what you mean re: ficiton/non

Yeah, the Similairon (I will never spell that the same way twice) is great. I liked it better than the Hobbit. Wasn't too crazy about the lost tales though. And I'm really starting to not like aspects of the Peter Jackson movie, ie GImli as comic relief and I really to need stop now.

I'll always love the films...hard to please everyone, and impossible to be 100% true to all aspects of the books. I agree, liked the Silmarillion more than I did the Hobbit, and I enjoyed the Hobbit. Have not read Lost Tales. Dude, have you ever read any of the Dune books? If I've asked already, sorry.

The prequels and sequels by his son are fairly lame....entertaining, but, not at all deep like the original books.....I LOVED the first 2 Dune books....thought the 3rd was ok....4th ok.....and I went back to loving the 5th and 6th. He touches on so many different areas...religion, philosophy, politics, ecology....really well done stuff.

I gave up on Jordan after the 1st book.

Oh, we've talked about Martin before. He's great, wish he was a little more prolific, but, the quality makes up for the lack of quantity.

There's a slew of new stuff out there in the fantasy/sci-fi genre....I should PM you some of the authors I've "discovered" over the past year or so, once all my books are unpacked.

No, never heard of it. Should I?

I got a dope book lined up next: The First Word. It's about the search for the origin of language. I love that shit. I totally geeked out in Scotland - the tour guide started talking about some word and it's Latin root and that was awesome. We had a nice little conversation of word origins and all that. My family looked at me funny. My wife shuts down when I do that - like she just sighs and walks away, lol. I need a job that will let me talk about word origins. You got one?

My job explores the origins of the screen pass or the jump shot...which is fun...but limiting.

I'm with you, I'm a word geek. In grade school, I used to memorize prefixes and suffixes to help me better understand words....and, yeah, Etymology is fascinating, at least to me.

Should you have heard of that series? Maybe. Should you read it? I think so. The main character is very much an anti-hero....hard to like him, actually....but the books are great.

Did you watch Firefly? That show was great. I didn't watch it when it was on, but I got the DVDs and I saw Serenity.

Joss Whedon is awesome.

I'll check out that dude. Sounds good. I like the anti-hero angle.

I saw Serenity, but never watched the series. I want to. I've been told to check out Babylon 5, that it improved greatly after the 1st season and was actually compelling. Yeah, check the Covenant Series out, you might like it.

from like an hour ago: I think on Jordan I got book 8, maybe? All I know if one time I went to the bookstore and I couldn't remember which books I had read, so Istarted flipping through them and was like, "wait.....every book is exactly the same..." so I stopped with that. He started off awesome though - books 2-4 or 5 were great. I read them all in a summer, I think.

Last edited:
No spoken words said:
Ever read the Covenant series by Donaldson?

Covenant series rocks :D

She's more fantasy, but I'd highly recommend Melanie Rawn - the Dragon Prince and Dragon Star trilogies (related but you can read them separately), and the Exiles trilogy (though I've been waiting at least 8 years now for book 3!)

Asimov too - though I've only read the Robots novels and all but the last one of the Foundation series :)

Back
Top Bottom