THE TEMPLE BAR: Timmy T's Fan Fiction...UP YOUR FUCKING ASS!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
~BrightestStar~ said:
Soo....

what I chose to glean from that at the moment is:

don't write my exams tomorrow

Okay! :hyper:

oh wait. crap...does that show a lack of work ethic?

I kid. You def make some very good points, and I def agree with alot of what you said.

:lol: passing your exams puts you on a whole other plane.

With the exception of "a lot" what didn't you agree with?

http://forum.interference.com/t175331.html

Mine was more a rant when faced with the product of a fulfilled entitlement expectation. I have some amazing uni students that I excluded from my rant through either the mention of work ethic, pride in accomplishment, and specialized fields. It was definitely directed more at the "I'm here, I wrote a paper - doesn't matter what the quality, I submitted it" student. A very few short yrs ago a rarity, now an emerging breed.

ok, you caught me. I skimmed. :reject:

In my once over, I don't think there was anything I neccessarily disgree with. In fact, that whole sense of entitlement thing is kind of funny because I was just reading an article in the Macleans University issue the other day in which it was discussing the decline of students and the watering down of university. With a bunch of quotes from profs, including "sometimes I wish I there was no rule saying I couldn't fail the entire class". I don't think the problem all lies in the realm of the universities though, it falls back to the high schools as well. A lot of stuff covered in high school gets rehashed to the extreme, in not just first year courses, but upper year ones as well. And I get the need to go back, and make sure everyone is up to speed - I do think that is a good thing, I'm not big on the whole, Too bad for you, go learn it yourself - because you don't have control over what you get taught in HS. However, contrary to my expectation, they often don't review and then expand, they just do highschool all over again. And I'm really not paying attention to where I'm going with this, but I don't know about provate institutions, but I know that in the high school aena of private schools - it most certainly does not equal a better education. I have found that although they might have to work a little harder, the educational value is not always equal. However, perhaps the life skills (ethic and the like) learned make up for this. I can't say.

and yeah, I just lost my train of thought.
Oh, I was going to say it defineatly depends on where you are. My degree is rather general, however, the classes specific to my programme have high expectations...and small class sizes, expect participation and the like. And there are other programmes that I know are similar. Perhaps they are the exception to the rule. Part of the problem I guess leads back to sheer size, in the General science programmes and stuff the sheer class size means it is next to impossible to have small discussion based classes, or lots of assignments, and multiple choice tests are favoured.

I have a bunch of points about why they water down courses and all that, but I really should be putting this effort into my paper...:uhoh:

snowbunny00774 said:
http://forum.interference.com/t175331.html

Mine was more a rant when faced with the product of a fulfilled entitlement expectation. I have some amazing uni students that I excluded from my rant through either the mention of work ethic, pride in accomplishment, and specialized fields. It was definitely directed more at the "I'm here, I wrote a paper - doesn't matter what the quality, I submitted it" student. A very few short yrs ago a rarity, now an emerging breed.

:hmm: Very interesting stuff.

If you come to SF we can continue this discussion :flirt:

I really want to debate your post ( is it really the High School's fault that uni is re covering the material?) however, I agree the effort should be put into your paper. This discussion will freeze well :wink:

Your thoughts Thora? I know you have mentioned the return to school several times...

Is it wrong I think Avril is great and I defended her energetically over the weekend? :reject:

Sluts :drool: Fests :drool:
What a combination. :lol:

I'd just like to clarify that I don't feel that the HS's aren't teaching the material, so much as despte the so called reforms there is a lot of inconsitency across the schools regarding what gets covered and such. There's a lack of...I can't think of the right word at the moment, co-ordination. Thus, the university's are left with the task of trying to get everyone on the same page. Now is it the HS's fault that they rehash, and don't go further? No. I mean, the university's don't have to bring everyone up to speed - but as I said, I do feel it's the right thing to do - perhaps they just need to reform how they do it - a little less hand holding and perhaps covering the key ideas, but allowing those who need more help to get it elsewhere (office hours and the like).

~BrightestStar~ said:

:lol:

:mac:

Is procrastination a lack of work ethic? Cause I've got heaps of that. I bet you couldn't tell. :wink:
But when I do get to doing it, I want to do it right. That's gotta count for somethin...

Honestly - I don't think it's the univeristies obligation to go over anything the student may not have covered in hs. We are talking an entirely different level of education, and people choose to go to uni outside of their home town or curriculum (through choosing the school or to go period, if there is no uni in town etc.) - you make this choice, you get caught up and on track. Students used to have to PAY for a tutor to accomplish this - it wasn't an expectation that the uni would provide it. Oh no, wow, that sounds like an expectation of entitlement :wink:

I have a Masters in ProC so I'm so not one to talk - however, when the work thing kicks in - I listen :slavetoupbringing:

Last edited:
Veepee! :hug:

snowbunny00774 said:

Honestly - I don't think it's the univeristies obligation to go over anything the student may not have covered in hs. We are talking an entirely different level of education, and people choose to go to uni outside of their home town or curriculum (through choosing the school or to go period, if there is no uni in town etc.) - you make this choice, you get caught up and on track. Students used to have to PAY for a tutor to accomplish this - it wasn't an expectation that the uni would provide it. Oh no, wow, that sounds like an expectation of entitlement :wink:

I have a Masters in ProC so I'm so not one to talk - however, when the work thing kicks in - I listen :slavetoupbringing:

You're right. They have no obligation to. Do I think it's a neccessary evil? Yes. Do I think they go about it the wrong way? Yes.
I'm not saying it should be handed on a silver platter, if you're really unaquinted/weak/whatever with the stuff - it should be expected that one will go out and work to get up to speed. However, for the simple learning process itself, it is often helpful to take a step back and ground yourself before moving foreward- I think it (has the potential to) cultivate a better learning environment.
Maybe it's just my sense of entighlment talking :wink:, maybe it is better if they just shoot info at you and let you sink or swim...

~BrightestStar~ said:
Veepee! :hug:

You're right. They have no obligation to. Do I think it's a neccessary evil? Yes. Do I think they go about it the wrong way? Yes.
I'm not saying it should be handed on a silver platter, if you're really unaquinted/weak/whatever with the stuff - it should be expected that one will go out and work to get up to speed. However, for the simple learning process itself, it is often helpful to take a step back and ground yourself before moving foreward- I think it (has the potential to) cultivate a better learning environment.
Maybe it's just my sense of entighlment talking :wink:, maybe it is better if they just shoot info at you and let you sink or swim...

SF babe....you have to come :up: We could do this now but I'm on # 4 and spellcheck'll be forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom