The Temple Bar - Dalton and the Rescue Pet Team ... UYMFA - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #301
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico

We'll certainly see. I've just become completely uninterested. Perhaps because I don't see the big change or progress that people are getting excited about. These candidates are lukewarm and neither of their policies seem to move us towards the change I want to see. I just feel jaded and detached. I think things just aren't moving at the rate I want them to. I should be excited because any change is good change, but at the same time I'm just so frustrated with how behind the times this place really is in comparison to other developing nations. Meh.
Yeah, after '04, I'm kinda like "damn you, US, you're not going to suck me in and break my heart again."

I think it's absolutely wonderful how people are getting behind Obama, the interest he's generating and all, but like you, I feel jaded, and can't see him prompting the vast change that people are hoping for. Even if he has good intentions, once he gets in, he still has to work from within the system.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #302
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:15 AM
nite all....

and night dalton...

Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #303
Blue Crack Addict

nite u2f4e!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #304
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

Yeah, after '04, I'm kinda like "damn you, US, you're not going to suck me in and break my heart again."

I think it's absolutely wonderful how people are getting behind Obama, the interest he's generating and all, but like you, I feel jaded, and can't see him prompting the vast change that people are hoping for. Even if he has good intentions, once he gets in, he still has to work from within the system.

precisely! how about changes to the system? how about booting the electoral college and nafta for starters. man could you imagine how many problems that would solve?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #305
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Quote:

My one real contribution, and, I am reticent to talk politics, as you may have figured out. And, of course, this will be nothing too insightful or whatnot, but whatever....

To me, the system is so very fucking broken, not flawed, just broken, that it's hard for me to get my hopes up. I'm very proud that Obama and Hillary are the two left standing, and that one of them is going to represent the Democratic party in the coming Election. That's progress. But until interest groups and major corporations and such lose some of their sway, I hold no real true hope for significant change. I sure as fuck hope it happens in my lifetime, but I aint holding my breath.

I love government, hate politics.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #306
Blue Crack Addict

my undergrad is polisci. but various factors led me away from that field. it's crazy because you go in wanting to make a difference, and in college they feed that idealism. then you apply for jobs and reality sinks in.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #307
Blue Crack Distributor

NSW, Mia

See? That's why I'm more comfortable discussing it in here. The climate is much more reasonable.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #308
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
NSW, Mia

See? That's why I'm more comfortable discussing it in here. The climate is much more reasonable.

i don't blame ya. i've minimized my posts in FYM since the election began. i try to pop in with different topics but not many people seem to care.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #309
Blue Crack Supplier

My interest has been sparked and I intend to be politically active, somewhat (certainly no U2Dem, making campaign calls and whatnot - that's dedication I can't put forth ).

I realize that it's mostly bullshit in the end, but I think it's interesting and important.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #310
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

I love government, hate politics.
that pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #311
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
My interest has been sparked and I intend to be politically active, somewhat
I've always wanted to be, but honestly, no candidate has ever inspired enough passion in me to make me actually get off my ass and do anything about it.

Canadian politics tend to be painfully dull.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #312
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
My interest has been sparked and I intend to be politically active, somewhat (certainly no U2Dem, making campaign calls and whatnot - that's dedication I can't put forth ).

I realize that it's mostly bullshit in the end, but I think it's interesting and important.

staying active is key. it is only through the activity that we can eventually get to where i'd want us to be. despite my frustrations with this election i've stayed pretty active on issues themselves. if i don't then i shouldn't be complaining about anything.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #313
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't know what exactly I'm going to "do about it" other than supporting and debating for the nominee.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #314
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:15 AM
Too bad the framers set up the constitution to avoid drastic change. They purposefully wanted a slow moving government, so that's what we've got
Old 03-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #315
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Canadian politics tend to be painfully dull.
To expand on that thought, I'd like to add that I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. The US media just tends to sensationalize things so much, and up here, we don't have that happening to such a huge degree.

Hell, we have the most conservative Prime Minister now that we've had in decades, and despite the gloom and doom prognosis regarding his win, he hasn't been that bad. He's completely left social issues alone, which is good.

Mind you, up here, a conservative PM would probably be on the left side, for you guys.