The Official B&C Desert Island VI NSW Memorial Running Diary Thread for the Cure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, Wilco. Let's move on. :wink:

Okkervil River :up: Now we're talking. For Real is a great song.

I've made it known that I think the Panda Bear album is a bit overrated, but Take Pills (along with Comfy In Nautica) is the best part.

Wow, Revolution 9. I appreciate how it sounds here after Take Pills, but God I can't stand it.

However, this trio of Take Pills > Revolution 9 > Fez is as experimental of a trio that I've ever heard put together in DI.

Ugh, Wilco. Let's move on. :wink:

Okkervil River :up: Now we're talking. For Real is a great song.

I've made it known that I think the Panda Bear album is a bit overrated, but Take Pills (along with Comfy In Nautica) is the best part.

Wow, Revolution 9. I appreciate how it sounds here after Take Pills, but God I can't stand it.

However, this trio of Take Pills > Revolution 9 > Fez is as experimental of a trio that I've ever heard put together in DI.

Haha, not a big Wilco fan, heh?

Just finished The Sad Punk's playlist. And it ended on a very high note - My Funny Valentine + Swervedriver (which I didn't know) were fantastic.

I really liked it throughout. I particularly enjoyed the branching out to several different genres and putting everything together in a very consistent way. My favorite part was the last 4 song stretch at the end of Disc 1, but I think Disc 2 overall was even stronger.

The flow was very good throughout and many parts of the playlist set a great mood (particularly the first 5 or 6 songs of Disc 2).

Haha, not a big Wilco fan, heh?

How'd you guess?

Yeah, just never really liked them, save for a few songs here and there.

So after the awesomeness of Fez, we had a really strong run of songs to wrap things up. NYC was up first, one of my favorites from Interpol's first album.

And then a song I hadn't heard before, Dry The Rain. Very good stuff - I enjoyed that one.

My Bloody Valentine. Nice going with Soon. Great track.

And One Day Like This was one of the best songs, if not the best, from last year. Great way to close.

The sequencing over this part was very good, although I think it works better if you had Soon after Fez, and then continued on, because Dry The Rain into One Day Like This actually sounds fantastic.

Overall, this is probably one of the best playlists in terms of flow that I've heard so far; it was meticulously constructed throughout. There were several songs that I didn't care for personally, though. Just songs that I wouldn't particularly listen to normally. But that's personal preference - there's no denying how well this was put together, and that's certainly a factor to consider in evaluating these things.

And considering this is your first time participating, that's quite the impressive feat. Nice job.

How'd you guess?

Yeah, just never really liked them, save for a few songs here and there.

So after the awesomeness of Fez, we had a really strong run of songs to wrap things up. NYC was up first, one of my favorites from Interpol's first album.

And then a song I hadn't heard before, Dry The Rain. Very good stuff - I enjoyed that one.

My Bloody Valentine. Nice going with Soon. Great track.

And One Day Like This was one of the best songs, if not the best, from last year. Great way to close.

The sequencing over this part was very good, although I think it works better if you had Soon after Fez, and then continued on, because Dry The Rain into One Day Like This actually sounds fantastic.

Thanks, phanan. That's a good idea about Fez > Soon. I basically wanted to have NYC after Fez for some lyrical reasons, but I've just played Dry The Rain > One Day Like This and it sounds great.

Btw, Beta Band is a great group to check. This "album" called 3 EPs is very experimental - Dry The Rain is probably the least experimental song there - but still very melodic. The kind of stuff that I like.

Overall, this is probably one of the best playlists in terms of flow that I've heard so far; it was meticulously constructed throughout. There were several songs that I didn't care for personally, though. Just songs that I wouldn't particularly listen to normally. But that's personal preference - there's no denying how well this was put together, and that's certainly a factor to consider in evaluating these things.

And considering this is your first time participating, that's quite the impressive feat. Nice job.

Thanks a lot for your comments, really appreciate it. I tried to choose flow over songs when there was a tradeoff, so many of the songs are not my favorites even in their own albums. I'm glad you liked the flow!

Your list is up for me during the weekend. From what I saw of it on paper, it would be a good one to play on Saturday (as I warm up for the Andrew Bird concert in the evening!).

I think my playlist is gonna be an either love it or hate it thing (or both), so I'll be curious to see what you think.

I'm pretty sure I'll be on the "love it" camp. I'll post my comments during the weekend.

I listened to Tourist's first disc a couple of days ago. I was expecting to enjoy it, since there was clearly a bunch of stuff up my alley, but the result was a lot better than I was expecting. If anything, it was the first few songs that I didn't really care for - not a big fan of the respective bands at all, but as soon as it kicks into the Motown suite, I'm in hook, line and sinker. I could argue that the choices were perhaps a little predictable for a showcase of the genre, but that would be utterly pedantic - they're fantastic songs (and I hadn't heard that version of Ain't No Mountain High Enough in a long time, so good choice there) that really set the mood for what was to follow. Really, a very good list indeed - and also introduced me to a couple of bands I hadn't heard about that I'm now dying to hear more from - Fold Zandura and The Foxglove Hunt, namely. And so much props for the M83 track - what a magnificent song. No real segue problems, just all around a good list.

I'm not expecting to like the second disc as much, but it does have Layla in it, so maybe I'll prove myself wrong. Good show, Andrew.

Finished Tourist's list yesterday and really enjoyed it in spurts. The first 10 songs are so were extremely solid... plus the idea of having Motown mix with Electronica was such a cool idea by itself. Then it got to the Electronica section, and besides the M83 and Cut Copy tracks, I find myself skipping over a lot. Mainly because everything sounded like it was coming out of a cheap Casio? I don't know. Mixed bag here.

The second half had a lot more to offer, with a bunch of tracks that I consider to be the greatest of all-time ("Baba O'Riley," "Layla," "Gimme Shelter..."). That BMRC to U2 transition was one of the most sublime things I've heard so far, so that's cool. Really enjoyed what you did here with established tracks and lesser-known awesome ones.

Good work, sell-out. ;)

Finished Tourist's list yesterday and really enjoyed it in spurts. The first 10 songs are so were extremely solid... plus the idea of having Motown mix with Electronica was such a cool idea by itself. Then it got to the Electronica section, and besides the M83 and Cut Copy tracks, I find myself skipping over a lot. Mainly because everything sounded like it was coming out of a cheap Casio? I don't know. Mixed bag here.

The second half had a lot more to offer, with a bunch of tracks that I consider to be the greatest of all-time ("Baba O'Riley," "Layla," "Gimme Shelter..."). That BMRC to U2 transition was one of the most sublime things I've heard so far, so that's cool. Really enjoyed what you did here with established tracks and lesser-known awesome ones.

Good work, sell-out. ;)

For some reason I was under the impression that our music tastes often seemed nearly interchangeable, so I'm kind of amazed to see some ruuude disagreements here. Anyway, yours is another I'm really looking forward to listening to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom