The "Desert Island Album" Game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sweet deal guys.

I'll work on my write-up and uploads sometime soon.

have we decided on a thing yet?

Official word is that there's an extension until the 19th. Consulted with Liam earlier.

As it stands, I'm bogged down with essays. This weekend is going to suuuuuuck. I can't wait for the 19th - I'll only have two more assignments to go after then, and one will be piss-easy while the other isn't due until June.

pepokiss said:
ok, I HAVE to upload all the songs?.... that will take a real while...

No, you don't HAVE to. All you HAVE to do is submit a playlist of two CDs, each no more than 80 minutes long, with the songs listed in the correct format as given in the original post (if anyone sends me discs in the wrong format, I will e-mail you to ask you to fix it). If you want to upload it, that of course helps your case, and you can provide information on why you made your choices, etc.

Folks, today's the last day, so get your tracklistings in! I'll be kind and say the 19th ends at midnight US Pacific time, which I believe is -0800 GMT. Once it's the 20th, Liam and I will make a list of everyone who hasn't submitted their tracklist yet and ask if you plan on submitting one. If we don't get a response and tracklist within a couple of days, we'll throw the spot open for someone else.

Axver said:

Folks, today's the last day, so get your tracklistings in! I'll be kind and say the 19th ends at midnight US Pacific time, which I believe is -0800 GMT. Once it's the 20th, Liam and I will make a list of everyone who hasn't submitted their tracklist yet and ask if you plan on submitting one. If we don't get a response and tracklist within a couple of days, we'll throw the spot open for someone else.

:up:

Thanks Axver and Liam for organizing this! I'm really excited to get started! :hyper:

I've got my first disc uploaded to and I'll be working on the second disc this weekend :)

Unless I am mistaken, this is our list of competitors:

1). Liamcool
2). Axver
3). LJT
4). Miricale_Drug
5). MacPhistoPT
6). hippy
7). Bono's shades
8). MrBrau1
9). LemonMacPhisto
10). Eliv8
11). namkcuR
12). VertigoGal
13). inmyplace13
14). Souly
15). yertle-the-turtle
16). pepokiss

And neither Liam nor I have received tracklistings from:

- Miricale_Drug
- yertle-the-turtle

Yertle: are you going to have time to get a tracklisting in, or would you like to give someone else your place?

Miricale_Drug: I don't recall ever receiving a tracklisting from you. Are you still in? We'll wait 48 hours, but then I'll have to open up the position.

Now, I believe we have received a tracklisting from tuwie even though they aren't in the 16 competitors, and I said BonoIsMyMuse could be a reserve if we require one. If the two posters who are yet to contribute pull out/are disqualified, tuwie and BonoIsMyMuse will get rights of first refusal for the spare places. If they don't take the spots, we'll throw the slots open to the first person who can get a tracklist in swiftly.

(Important note: brackets for the competition will be drawn once the 16 competitors have been finalised.)

All of the following possibilities are OPTIONAL. A participant is only required to submit their tracklisting in the correct format and adhering to the time and disc limit, but the following are additional things you can do if you wish. They will likely help your chances in the tournament.

Uploads

My current idea is to get a "save file" account and use that. Unfortunately, it has a 60MB file size limit, so I imagine any 2CD compilation will require three ZIP files. However, it has no time limit (unlike places like YSI and "send space") and all the files are accessible in one place, so we can just put up files and people can access them to listen at any time. What I will do upon making the account is that I'll e-mail the password to anyone who expresses intent in uploading their compilation and they can go ahead and do it. If you don't know how to upload, we'll tell you how. If you CAN'T upload, once we have all the tracklistings finalised, they will be posted together in one big post on this thread. I'm sure other people will be able to supply at least some songs from your compilation so it has some representation for people to hear.

Compilation Elaboration

If you would like, you can give a submission explaining why you made the choices you made. I will post it with the poll in which your compilation competes. You can write as little or as much as you like: just remember, other people will be reading it and they probably don't want you to write a book about how great the first ten seconds of Mysterious Ways is.

If you do write a description, please e-mail (amakaxver[at]gmail.com) or PM it to me (NOT Liam) as I will be the one making the polls so I will need them. There is currently no deadline as we can't give a starting date for the competition until all sixteen playlists are finalised. If you send me an e-mail, please use the subject line "[Your screen name here]'s Album Description".

Axver said:

Uploads

My current idea is to get a "save file" account and use that. Unfortunately, it has a 60MB file size limit, so I imagine any 2CD compilation will require three ZIP files. However, it has no time limit (unlike places like YSI and "send space") and all the files are accessible in one place, so we can just put up files and people can access them to listen at any time. What I will do upon making the account is that I'll e-mail the password to anyone who expresses intent in uploading their compilation and they can go ahead and do it. If you don't know how to upload, we'll tell you how. If you CAN'T upload, once we have all the tracklistings finalised, they will be posted together in one big post on this thread. I'm sure other people will be able to supply at least some songs from your compilation so it has some representation for people to hear.

Compilation Elaboration

If you would like, you can give a submission explaining why you made the choices you made. I will post it with the poll in which your compilation competes. You can write as little or as much as you like: just remember, other people will be reading it and they probably don't want you to write a book about how great the first ten seconds of Mysterious Ways is.

If you do write a description, please e-mail (amakaxver[at]gmail.com) or PM it to me (NOT Liam) as I will be the one making the polls so I will need them. There is currently no deadline as we can't give a starting date for the competition until all sixteen playlists are finalised. If you send me an e-mail, please use the subject line "[Your screen name here]'s Album Description".

Upload question: What if I have my own and I've started my projects? Can I just send you the link to the projects to post? An alternate to posting three big .zip files on is to do each track individually (that's what I've done) and then people can download the tracks they need?

when the competition starts, are usernames going to be associated with compilations, or are we simply voting for the compilations we like best, and then the user who submitted that compilation will be revealed at the end once he/she wins?

I hope I'm still on the list as an alternate, since I have my discs almost ready to go. :wink:

I can have them done by the end of the day if someone drops out. You can PM me or email me at this name @gmail.com

hippy said:

Upload question: What if I have my own and I've started my projects? Can I just send you the link to the projects to post? An alternate to posting three big .zip files on is to do each track individually (that's what I've done) and then people can download the tracks they need?

That's fine - as long as you can give me a link to to post, everything's good. I just want it to be a site that doesn't expire as I'd like to keep using the same links throughout the competition rather than getting people to upload all the time.

If people can make their own "save file" account and upload each song individually, that'd work even better in my view. I was just thinking ZIP files on a common account would be easiest for everyone. I think I'll do what you're doing, though.

but 60 MB its NOTHING.... the whole 2 cds are 170 MB for me...

unless I can make most of the files .WMA, some are, but most of them are MP3...

I don't know... YSI is easy, but 25 downloads is nothing...

pepokiss said:
but 60 MB its NOTHING.... the whole 2 cds are 170 MB for me...

unless I can make most of the files .WMA, some are, but most of them are MP3...

I don't know... YSI is easy, but 25 downloads is nothing...

try save file.com (without the space) for uploading files... it's unlimited downloads and you can do the files individually... that's what I'm doing so that people can download only the songs they don't have...

OK, I've received yertle-the-turtle's tracklisting. Still waiting for Miricale_Drug.

Miricale_Drug: you have one day to submit your tracklisting. If it's not in my inbox (either e-mail or Interference PM) when I get home from university tomorrow (which is 28 hours from this post), I'm sorry, but we'll have to disqualify you from the competition and give your place to someone else.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i just noticed this thread. boo, i would've liked to have done this too :(

oh well, i'll be watching from the sidelines :D

you'll get an orange popsicle if you vote for me Khan.

An orgasmatastic popsicle of the orange color, how could you resist?

Alright, the deadline's past, and I'm sorry, but Miricale_Drug, you've been disqualified.

Which creates a problem: we have two reserves, BonoIsMyMuse and tuwie. They both have good claims to getting the one spot, and while I don't wish to get into specifics (or why I think BonoIsMyMuse has the better claim), I don't have the heart to kick either out. I was the first reserve over on the Mike Portnoy forums, I made my tracklisting, and it ultimately wasn't needed, so I know what it's like to put effort into it and not get a chance.

For that reason, I have a proposal. We will have a play-off round for the 16th position between BonoIsMyMuse and tuwie. It will be a good chance to rehearse the system and to fix any problems with the upload system and all that sort of stuff. If both potential contestants are willing to agree to this and no-one else strongly objects, we'll set a date for the playoff. If one (or both, obviously) don't agree or a sufficiently persuasive objection is lodged, we'll think of something else.

In any case, the brackets should be coming soon ...

Cool. :up:

I'd like to get this under way as quickly as possible, so if tuwie doesn't reply by, say, the end of Wednesday, I'll just give the place to BonoIsMyMuse and we'll get things started.

the system sounds good to me. you're so considerate, axver =)
although, i don't have time to upload all my songs and stuff, so it's your call, Axver, but i think BonoIsMyMuse should just go ahead and get the spot since (s)he (hahah sorry, i don't know :) ) is going to put all that effort into uploading and finalizing.
hahah i also have a very eclectic taste in music that not very many people (at least the ones i know) identify with ;]

Back
Top Bottom