The Aussie Chat Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No spoken words said:
"I remember when we could sleep on stones" is obviously Bono saying that they used to be able to handle anything.....the whispers and moans line denotes that they cannot even sleep in their own bed together any longer, restless, etc.

Whispers and moans has only one clear connotation.

Originally written by Neil Finn

Dull, dull grey, the colour of our times
Cool, cool space that I still hope to find
Far beyond the veil
The sound of whispers and moans

Slow time bomb, the clamour of the street
I hear this town, it never goes to sleep
And I will catch the taxi driver
Weeping like a wounded beast
Then I wake up in your room
Share one piece of your life
When tomorrow comes
We may not be here at all
Without your whispers and moans
Here you come to carry me home

Love that sound, time erase
Tension wheels, cool heels
Won't ya come on open the bid before too long
I wake up in your room
Share one piece of your life
I'd give anything to be a fly upon the wall
And hear your whispers and moans
I like to hear your whispers and moans
Here you come to carry me home

We are the mirrors of each other
In a lifetime of suspicion
Cleansed in a moment, a flash of recognition
You gave your life for it
Worth its weight in gold and growing empires
Art collectors and Alans sound investments
Will one day be forgotten, one day be forgotten
YEAH!

Crowded House > U2 anyway.

From a news bulletin update during a break in the cricket: "A photograph of Barack Obama in traditional African tribal dress has shaken the American presidential campaign."

WTF people, seriously?

wtf is crowded house?

And the fact that you are mislead into thinking whispers and moans is a nice tender happy thing is part of what I like about the song. It's subtle but if you've ever tried to sleep in a bed with someone and it just isn't working, whispers and moans (and tossing turning and sweating) can pretty much sum it up.

Axver said:
From a news bulletin update during a break in the cricket: "A photograph of Barack Obama in traditional African tribal dress has shaken the American presidential campaign."

:shrug: it has been all over the headlines and I really don't understand it. Something about Hillary maybe sending it to newspapers and then Barack's campaign manager calling her racist?

unico said:
i've never heard of crowded house

I bet you've heard Don't Dream It's Over. Just about every American I've ever met who hasn't heard of Crowded House has still heard that song.

They're the most famous band to come from New Zealand. Though Australia claims them too. Technically the US could too. Initially they had one New Zealander (Neil Finn) and two Aussies. Then Neil's brother Tim joined and it was two Kiwis, two Aussies. Nowadays, it's Neil (Kiwi), Nick Seymour (Aussie), and two Americans, Mark Hart and ... Matt? Sherrod.

Well, whatever the case, Neil Finn is New Zealand's greatest musician.

You could probably make a case someone like Martin Phillipps is better, but nobody outside of New Zealand has heard of him. At least Neil in his various bands has had top ten hits in the US, UK, and Australia.

Varitek said:
wtf is crowded house?

And the fact that you are mislead into thinking whispers and moans is a nice tender happy thing is part of what I like about the song. It's subtle but if you've ever tried to sleep in a bed with someone and it just isn't working, whispers and moans (and tossing turning and sweating) can pretty much sum it up.

Well, it's just a shit choice of words then. 'Groans' also fits and that's got at least a bit more of a connotation of discomfort. "Complaints and groans", there we go.

Actually, not sure if that fits. Every time I try to sing the line, I end up singing "whispers and moans" Crowded House style and I refuse to put Ultra Violet on.

Varitek said:

:shrug: it has been all over the headlines and I really don't understand it. Something about Hillary maybe sending it to newspapers and then Barack's campaign manager calling her racist?

I'm just not seeing how him wearing traditional African tribal dress is meant to be a bad thing anyway. How the fuck is distributing that photo meant to be a smear?

coolian2 said:

But Fawlty Towers will improve my mind

Ah, touche. Everybody needs more Fawlty in their life.

Also, see how shithouse Sri Lanka's innings has been? 9/179 right now, with Kapugedera on 57 n.o. and the rest of them just sucking completely.

coolian2 said:

Hillary must be chasing the redneck vote

I'd rather lose an election than get the racist vote.

But this is probably why I'm not a politician.

Axver said:

Ah, touche. Everybody needs more Fawlty in their life.

Also, see how shithouse Sri Lanka's innings has been? 9/179 right now, with Kapugedera on 57 n.o. and the rest of them just sucking completely.

I'm glad i forgot that it was on, although i did check the score about five minutes agogo

Well, there goes Kapugedera caught and bowled to Harbhajan. Loved Harbhajan's celebration. So India only have to get 180. Helloooo Twenty20 style run chase!

Axver said:

I'd rather lose an election than get the racist vote.

Agreed. But when the rednecks make up such a large proportion of the potential voters you have to play to them, even if it means losing all the other voters, not that it matters because Hillary has already lost all of the other voters.

unico said:
OH!!! "hey now heeeeeey now."

how is crowded house > u2 when they only have one song i know of?

Because the Crowdies are consistently great while U2 have gone to shit.

Also, Crowdies live > U2 live. They do wildly varied sets, can play their entire discography (I kid you not, I think in their latest tour, they've done all but probably only five or so of their ~75 songs). And the banter between Nick and Neil is just hilarious. Bono and Edge need more banter.

coolian2 said:

Agreed. But when the rednecks make up such a large proportion of the potential voters you have to play to them, even if it means losing all the other voters, not that it matters because Hillary has already lost all of the other voters.

And all of the rednecks are probably voting Republican anyway. Those Demoncrats will just take away their guns, poor things.

god damn it i am starting again. I have a "clean" ES but it is too choppy

I am sure there is someone on interference more qualified to do this well than me. but they don't seem to have stepped forward in the last 5 years...

Ian, how about Praveen Kumar's bowling? 10 overs, 4 for 31. That's just sensational.

Varitek said:
god damn it i am starting again. I have a "clean" ES but it is too choppy

I am sure there is someone on interference more qualified to do this well than me. but they don't seem to have stepped forward in the last 5 years...

Everything i've tried to do on Audacity or Sound Forge comes out like a disaster, which isn't a good sign for someone doing Radio Production this year.

coolian2 said:

I just realised we're talking politics. Is this what these chat threads have come to?

No, this is awesome, we're arguing about Ultra Violet, comparing U2 and Crowded House, talking sport, dropping study guides in water, and having a go at the US right wing. What next? Jen's innuendo again? :wink:

coolian2 said:

Wow, those are great figures. Take that, Brett Lee. You wanker.

I hate Nathan Bracken more. Especially because he looks like a girl I went to school with. I didn't dislike her, actually. She was nice, though bizarrely married my friend's brother. But it seems that with every passing game, Bracken is trying more and more to accentuate his likeness to her and it's getting creepy.

Also, Ishant Sharma, 10 overs, 4 for 41. Not bad there either. Sharma has to be the bowler of the summer. Fuck, he's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom