South Sandwich Islands Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fast Cars should actually be worked into the album properly. It's a good track. The lyrics aren't moronic and the music's fun. (Also, I prefer it over Xanax And Wine.)

I've never understood why U2 don't road-test songs live any more. It clearly worked for them in the early eighties. Their songs always grow and evolve and they'd benefit so much from the procedure. They've never been a studio band! And, hell, I think heaps of people would be buying tickets on the prospect of "U2 play unreleased new material exclusively live!" But McGuinne$$ is probably scared bootleggers will eat into his precious profits or some stupid shit like that.

:lmao: SuperWinFail.

Road testing songs is exactly what bands like U2 (who are not tradition songwriters) need.

I find pumpkin intolerable. It's easily one of my least favourite foods. But bizarrely, I enjoy my mother's pumpkin soup! It's the only possible way I'll touch the stuff.

Hah. I've always wondered about some of the fast food places around here, some seem fairly dodgy ... not to mention stupidly overpriced!

Well, I'm in a Commonwealth Supported Place at uni, but you need to be an Aussie or Kiwi citizen to get that. Most people at uni are in a CSP. Basically, the government covers most of your fees, then the couple of thousand dollars a semester left, you can either pay up-front and get a discount, or defer it (and if you don't earn above a certain amount, you don't have to pay it back!). But I really don't know how things work for non-citizens.
awesome! :hi5: pumpkin soup? sounds interesting :hmm:

yeah, i know what you mean. i'm sure most places are gross.

really? wow. i wish we got stuff like that here. here, you've got to qualify, and it's near impossible to qualify based on income. but i did at least find one student loan company here that'll give you loans for studying abroad.

The band that I'm in practices our songs so much, and tweeks our songs so much that I'm starting to feel like I'm in U2. Good thing Paul (our singer, HA!) is a better songwriter than post 1996 Bono. And I'm not even kidding.

U2 should have just pulled a Beatles in 1993 and quit touring. Bono's voice was still decent. Popmart did it in, though. And hanging out with Oasis. But yeah--U2 should play the hits off the last couple albums and then deeper album cuts.

Popmart definitely pushed Bono's voice too far, though I think the rigours of ZooTV fucked it anyway. I mean, that was a gigantic tour, and Popmart was just the final nail in the coffin. He was going to fall apart vocally anyway. I think ZooTV should have been much shorter. Cut the 1993 legs and focus on Zooropa, then tour in 1994. That would have given Bono's voice more of a chance.

I wish they just would've followed Lovetown further into the next album and not Dream It All Up Again. And just play little short tours so as not to kill Bono's voice.

And not feel the need to play every fucking American city. For god's sake. It's not helping things that they do 80+ shows in one country. That's well over half the tour!

It's the only one of FOABP that I don't particularly care for.

Yeah. Hence "decent" rather than "good" or anything. I don't think it's a bad song, and it really gained some intensity live, but I usually stop the album after Way Out Of Here.

Popmart definitely pushed Bono's voice too far, though I think the rigours of ZooTV fucked it anyway. I mean, that was a gigantic tour, and Popmart was just the final nail in the coffin. He was going to fall apart vocally anyway. I think ZooTV should have been much shorter. Cut the 1993 legs and focus on Zooropa, then tour in 1994. That would have given Bono's voice more of a chance.

And not feel the need to play every fucking American city. For god's sake. It's not helping things that they do 80+ shows in one country. That's well over half the tour!

If their tours had been 25 festival shows in the US and EU, and 10 elsewhere in the world, with 6 months in between legs, maybe Bono's voice could be where it was with HMTMKMKM now. Because U2 doesn't need to play 120 shows on a tour. They just need to play fucking gigantic shows with 150,000 people at them.

Road testing songs is exactly what bands like U2 (who are not tradition songwriters) need.

Yep. Look at Boy. The songs were mostly thoroughly road-tested before they were recorded. Note how few of them ever substantially evolved live from their studio versions.

Then compare that to all subsequent albums and how much they evolved. Imagine JT if it had been road-tested. WOWY would have the Shine Like Stars climax. Bullet and Exit would rock more. One Tree Hill would have an even more intense conclusion. So on and so forth.

The band that I'm in practices our songs so much, and tweeks our songs so much that I'm starting to feel like I'm in U2. Good thing Paul (our singer, HA!) is a better songwriter than post 1996 Bono. And I'm not even kidding.

Hah, awesome.

I should upload one of our unmixed demos.

This would be very cool.

Yep. Look at Boy. The songs were mostly thoroughly road-tested before they were recorded. Note how few of them ever substantially evolved live from their studio versions.

Then compare that to all subsequent albums and how much they evolved. Imagine JT if it had been road-tested. WOWY would have the Shine Like Stars climax. Bullet and Exit would rock more. One Tree Hill would have an even more intense conclusion. So on and so forth.
U2 needs to read the superthread :sad:

or really, listen to anyone's opinions other than yesmen. i'm sure any decent fan would suggest similar things.

awesome! :hi5: pumpkin soup? sounds interesting :hmm:

yeah, i know what you mean. i'm sure most places are gross.

really? wow. i wish we got stuff like that here. here, you've got to qualify, and it's near impossible to qualify based on income. but i did at least find one student loan company here that'll give you loans for studying abroad.

My mother's always made awesome soups. :up:

I've long since learnt which ones to avoid in central Melbourne. A couple are just so busy because they're right by major railway stations that you get the impression there's no quality control at all. Ice creams are just about liquidy, chips are limp, burgers are going cold, etc.

I think there are some income thresholds, definitely there are for a scholarship I get, but I qualify for everything in that regard so I've little knowledge what the thresholds are! I just wish I'd lived during the days when university education here was free. FREE! Oh how awesome that must have been. Ah well, it's still pretty good - at least in comparison to how shithouse the US sounds.

Agreed completely. :up:

I'm going to avoid jumping into this U2 discussion, because that's not what I come to a U2 fansite for ( :lol: )

So I'll just throw this in:

openrange.jpg

If their tours had been 25 festival shows in the US and EU, and 10 elsewhere in the world, with 6 months in between legs, maybe Bono's voice could be where it was with HMTMKMKM now. Because U2 doesn't need to play 120 shows on a tour. They just need to play fucking gigantic shows with 150,000 people at them.

Here's how I see an ideal U2 tour.

Leg 1: US. 30 shows. Biiiig fucking stadiums in the major markets.
Leg 2: Europe. 30 shows. Big fucking stadiums. Still doesn't cater for demand, but Bono's voice can't take much more.
Leg 3: Rest of the world. 30 shows. Big fucking stadiums. Still missing some markets, but again, Bono's voice.

Space that out comfortably over a whole year. That's just ninety gigs in 365 days. A show every four days, thereabouts. If Bono's voice can't hack that, QUIT.

My mother's always made awesome soups. :up:

I've long since learnt which ones to avoid in central Melbourne. A couple are just so busy because they're right by major railway stations that you get the impression there's no quality control at all. Ice creams are just about liquidy, chips are limp, burgers are going cold, etc.

I think there are some income thresholds, definitely there are for a scholarship I get, but I qualify for everything in that regard so I've little knowledge what the thresholds are! I just wish I'd lived during the days when university education here was free. FREE! Oh how awesome that must have been. Ah well, it's still pretty good - at least in comparison to how shithouse the US sounds.
:cute: that's awesome. whenever my mom made soup, it was from a can. which i'm not knocking, my mom will freely admit she's not a great from scratch cook. i think she just needs some recipes and some time in the kitchen to try them out.

awesome :up: ugh, i hate getting food like that. it makes me not even want to eat it, because why waste calories on cold food? if i do end up moving to melbourne, i'm sure i'll be asking for advice so i don't just go to mcdonald's all the time since it's the only thing i recognize.

yeah, free university sounds awesome. even if it's mostly free. though i will say over here, college isn't tooooo expensive, if you go to one in-state that's public. the college i go to is pretty inexpensive. i think it's like $3k per semester if you go full-time.

U2 needs to read the superthread :sad:

or really, listen to anyone's opinions other than yesmen. i'm sure any decent fan would suggest similar things.

YES. Honestly, I'm convinced U2 are the last people who should be allowed to judge their own work since they so often seem to get it totally wrong. They may be a fucking huge band right now, but I think they could have an even greater legacy for quality and receive a lot less negative flak if they'd made better decisions.

holy shit, the line of soaps i use is on an infomercial! i didn't think they'd need the publicity :hmm:

They just want you to buy two 25-packs for $39.95. :happy:

Here's how I see an ideal U2 tour.

Leg 1: US. 30 shows. Biiiig fucking stadiums in the major markets.
Leg 2: Europe. 30 shows. Big fucking stadiums. Still doesn't cater for demand, but Bono's voice can't take much more.
Leg 3: Rest of the world. 30 shows. Big fucking stadiums. Still missing some markets, but again, Bono's voice.

Space that out comfortably over a whole year. That's just ninety gigs in 365 days. A show every four days, thereabouts. If Bono's voice can't hack that, QUIT.
:up: i know they'd never come here, but that's fine. they don't now, when they play a buttload of shows!

YES. Honestly, I'm convinced U2 are the last people who should be allowed to judge their own work since they so often seem to get it totally wrong. They may be a fucking huge band right now, but I think they could have an even greater legacy for quality and receive a lot less negative flak if they'd made better decisions.

They just want you to buy two 25-packs for $39.95. :happy:
exactly. you're never the best judge of your own material. if you were, i'd be a famous singer, too.

:lol: now that i'm paying attention, it seems to be for their facial skincare line, which i don't use.

:up: i know they'd never come here, but that's fine. they don't now, when they play a buttload of shows!

The only show in the Pacific Northwest (including BC, Washington, Idaho, Oregon, and Colorado) should be at the Gorge (which could probably hold 150k).

:cute: that's awesome. whenever my mom made soup, it was from a can. which i'm not knocking, my mom will freely admit she's not a great from scratch cook. i think she just needs some recipes and some time in the kitchen to try them out.

awesome :up: ugh, i hate getting food like that. it makes me not even want to eat it, because why waste calories on cold food? if i do end up moving to melbourne, i'm sure i'll be asking for advice so i don't just go to mcdonald's all the time since it's the only thing i recognize.

yeah, free university sounds awesome. even if it's mostly free. though i will say over here, college isn't tooooo expensive, if you go to one in-state that's public. the college i go to is pretty inexpensive. i think it's like $3k per semester if you go full-time.

Heh, my mother used to look down on canned soup, but over the last couple of years, she's tried some and has changed her tune. She finds them to be a great lazy lunch, and obviously damn handy when you're unwell.

:lol: Melbourne has so much great food, it's amazing. I guess that's what comes with being such a multi-cultural city. Though I don't imagine you'll be dining in the famous Italian cuisine precinct of Lygon Street, heh. But there's plenty of Asian and Indian food, and some Greek, and all kinds of other things. I feel bad because I really don't eat out that much!

Melbourne University in the top twenty universities in the world. :drool: And it's still spectacularly cheap compared to the US universities with it in the top twenty.

And what happened to our little Axver?

EDIT: sure, you post right when I ask where you went?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom