So what's your name.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first name aint "Baby", It's "Janet", "Miss Jackson" if you're nasty.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

My name is Danny.:wink:

I'm Amanda and I love my name. My mom wanted to name me Ann and my grandma said she'd kill her if she named me such a plain name ( no offense to any Ann's out there). Then she wanted to name me Jennifer and I think there was about a million Jennifer's being born in 1974 so my grandma said no way to that one too! My grandma felt I needed to be named something different and 30 years ago hardly anyone was named Amanda. Plus my mom decided she wanted an "A" name. I'm so happy my mom listened to her!

My family and a few friends call me Mandy. I don't care for it but I don't have much of a choice. :mad:

:reject: I suppose I could have just said "hi I'm Amanda" instead of the long explaination :reject: Oh well.......

arw9797 said:
I'm Amanda and I love my name. My mom wanted to name me Ann and my grandma said she'd kill her if she named me such a plain name ( no offense to any Ann's out there). Then she wanted to name me Jennifer and I think there was about a million Jennifer's being born in 1974 so my grandma said no way to that one too! My grandma felt I needed to be named something different and 30 years ago hardly anyone was named Amanda. Plus my mom decided she wanted an "A" name. I'm so happy my mom listened to her!

My family and a few friends call me Mandy. I don't care for it but I don't have much of a choice. :mad:

:reject: I suppose I could have just said "hi I'm Amanda" instead of the long explaination :reject: Oh well.......

i knew that was your name. :D :shifty: and i'm telling you, if i ever do meet you in person i will probably do something wierd like try to call you arw...and i'm still sure exactly how to pronounce that...

:wink:

actually, my name is Jim, formally, James. I was named after my Mom's father. I almost wasn't named James because my aunt wanted to name my older cousin James but her husband wanted a jr. So, He got Jake jr. while I got James, call me Jim though :)

I'm Char...actually Charlene. I was named after my father Charles. And because his initials were CCC, my parents decided it would be cute to do the same thing to me...Charlene Christine Carlson. I'm used to it now but it was hell to try and learn how write such a long name when I started school.

oh and hi Geek...I mean Jim! :wave: :laugh:

zorya said:
Jocelyn

and i too wonder how Dick comes from Richard... :ohmy:

The pet name for Richard, Dick. Where did that one come from? The -ick part of it is not difficult to analyze -- look at Rick. Richard is pronounced Rickard in German, so it is easy to see whence the -ick arose. The D in Dick is thought to have come about when native English speakers, during the Middle Ages, had trouble trilling the initial R as would have been done in Norman French.:crazy:

trevster2k said:
The Muppet Show had a character named Trevor the Grouse, you know a type of bird, but it also sounds like gross. That sucked whenever it was used. :sad:

Weird. I have never even heard of that Muppet character. But hey look on the bright side. U2 had a song named after us (albeit briefly). :wink:

caroline

carrie for short

my maiden name farrell

when i was little, some neighborhood kids would call me

"carrie ferry"

it hurt me deep down inside

Last edited:
That character was an actual grouse muppet and I think it was only on 1 show ever.

Yeah, that Trevor song was neat too. I mentioned in a previous thread how I could never find anything with my name on it when I was growing up like mugs, or keychains. I used to sit in a front of the tv during a show called Romper Room where the female host would say " I see Billy, Julie, etc" but the bitch would never ever say my name. Very traumatizing to a little kid but having a U2 song called Trevor is cool.

Roi. No special pronunciation - my mom just got a little fancy with the spelling. French people always think I'm conceited however. :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom