Sigur Ros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was all probably W A Y more than anyone wanted to know but I had to tell someone and my friends don't care.

no it was good.

jonsi didn't wreck that song, i think he entered it late causing a mild mental stupor cluster in his head only..

<>

I've been listening to Ágætis Byrjun again today and I have to say, Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása - I :heart: everything up until around 9:30 or so... I don't like the way it dissolves into a stringy mess... other than that fucking unbelievable song :drool:

My fun-that-costs-money is pretty much over for awhile. This was a last hurrah. If it hadn't all been paid for months ago I would not have gone at all. I walked right by that merchandise table without stopping like a crack addict walking by a crack house.

I've been listening to Ágætis Byrjun again today and I have to say, Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása - I :heart: everything up until around 9:30 or so... I don't like the way it dissolves into a stringy mess... other than that fucking unbelievable song :drool:

What?! The "stringy mess" is the best part!! I prefer to think of it as a gorgeous cacophony, though (let me guess, you also don't like the brassy mess at the end of National Anthem?). It is the one song I've wanted to hear live more than any other but they just refuse to play it for me (it's all about me, of course, as I think we've seen). Of course it would have been disappointing last night due to the absence of the stringy mess. But it is my all-time favorite SR song.

jonsi didn't wreck that song, i think he entered it late causing a mild mental stupor cluster in his head only..

<>

That could very well have been it. It wasn't wrecked at all, but something was off - and you're right in that they seemed to think it was more off than it actually was.

Okay, here's a better picture of Alex Somers:
327421085_44208c3fcf.jpg

He looks familiar, but I'm still not entirely sure which band member that was. Was he the singer?

He looks familiar, but I'm still not entirely sure which band member that was. Was he the singer?

No, not the singer though he sort of resembles the singer. I know he played a guitar of some kind. He stood directly on the other side of the female on keyboards, between her and the lead singer.

Random fun picture - Gobbledigook with Bjork, looks like. More fun than a barrel full of monkeys
2620901469_e94be73a1b.jpg

I just realized why you can't place him. You were fixated on the violinist with the peaches & cream complexion, amirite or amirite?

I just realized why you can't place him. You were fixated on the violinist with the peaches & cream complexion, amirite or amirite?

:shh:

I think he was the guitar player. As the guitar amp made absolutely NO sound in SLC for Parachutes, it's not too surprising that I forgot him.

What?! The "stringy mess" is the best part!! I prefer to think of it as a gorgeous cacophony, though (let me guess, you also don't like the brassy mess at the end of National Anthem?). It is the one song I've wanted to hear live more than any other but they just refuse to play it for me (it's all about me, of course, as I think we've seen). Of course it would have been disappointing last night due to the absence of the stringy mess. But it is my all-time favorite SR song.

true dat, I love National Anthem up untill the end, same goes for my all time favourite Beatles song A Day In The Life, there is something about that whole messy noise ending which does not appeal to me - I usually skip to the next song.

That could very well have been it. It wasn't wrecked at all, but something was off - and you're right in that they seemed to think it was more off than it actually was.

yes and his voice was sooo perfect, so it was barely noticeable...i think he thought every fan was a harder hard core sigur ros fan than him.

i like when live versions are slightly off, this way they're different from the studio.

<>

true dat, I love National Anthem up untill the end, same goes for my all time favourite Beatles song A Day In The Life, there is something about that whole messy noise ending which does not appeal to me - I usually skip to the next song.

:(

I fast forward and rewind to keep hearing it again. It excites me. It's a kind of madness, an organized chaos, that I suppose I resonate with somehow, because it doesn't sound messy to me, it sounds perfect with each dissonant note sounding carefully orchestrated. My parents were obsessed with classical music the way I am obsessed with other kinds of music, and they'd take me and my sisters to the symphony on a regular basis. My favorite part was always the sound of the orchestra warming up. :huh:

How about a noisy beginning? Did you like the noise at the beginning of Ny Batteri (if they played that at your show)?

Noise at the beginning doesn't seem to bother me as much because I know there is a song coming (at least I hope there is) but when it's at the end, I dunno, it's like ok already, we get it, next song please...

I'm more of an orderly person in life though - chaos and mess tend to bother me more than others so I guess it transfers to what I like musically as well...

yes and his voice was sooo perfect, so it was barely noticeable...
<>

:yes: That voice is simply out of this world.

Last night I had to give away my copy of Med Sud. A dear friend from NYC was visiting, a man in his 70s who always wants to know what I'm listening to. Mind you, this guy was at Woodstock so he's always been into music. I make him mixes and he loves everything--he especially loves Radiohead, Sufjan Stevens, and Antony. So I played Festival for him sitting in the car outside Walgrens. He kept saying "turn it up" and then there were "oh my Gods" every few seconds. I thought he might lose interest when the song changed at the end but he kept saying, "this is fantastic!! Oh my God!!" and he had to hear it again. We listened to almost the whole record and during I think it was Fljótavik he was moved nearly to tears. So he's taking it home with him, and you know what I'll be doing on my lunch break.

:yes: That voice is simply out of this world.

Last night I had to give away my copy of Med Sud. A dear friend from NYC was visiting, a man in his 70s who always wants to know what I'm listening to. Mind you, this guy was at Woodstock so he's always been into music. I make him mixes and he loves everything--he especially loves Radiohead, Sufjan Stevens, and Antony. So I played Festival for him sitting in the car outside Walgrens. He kept saying "turn it up" and then there were "oh my Gods" every few seconds. I thought he might lose interest when the song changed at the end but he kept saying, "this is fantastic!! Oh my God!!" and he had to hear it again. We listened to almost the whole record and during I think it was Fljótavik he was moved nearly to tears. So he's taking it home with him, and you know what I'll be doing on my lunch break.

M,

Very touching.

Am I alone here, or do other Sigur Ros fans get the "warm and fuzzies" while listening to them?

I get warm all over and tingling from head to toe. listening to Jonsi and all their melodies.:angry:

Also, which song is it that is beautiful thru out it's entirety, but at the end it sounds like an electric toy airplane crashing? What's the title of that one?

<>

and during I think it was Fljótavik he was moved nearly to tears.

Finally, someone here who likes it as much as I do! :wink:

I was really hoping they'd play it on Sunday, as I am interested in what it would sound like live.

Finally, someone here who likes it as much as I do! :wink:

I was really hoping they'd play it on Sunday, as I am interested in what it would sound like live.

I love it, too! I would love to have heard it live.

Oh wow, thanks david! Looking at those pictures makes me realize I was so close I saw the band but maybe not the show.

Oh wow, thanks david! Looking at those pictures makes me realize I was so close I saw the band but maybe not the show.

I felt that way too. Only once or twice did I even notice that there were images being projected on a screen behind the band.....

Listening to Takk for the third time. I don't know... the music is beautiful, no doubt! but I'm not crazy about the vocals. Add to the fact that I cannot understand anything what he is singing about! :lol: This is my honest first impression. Hoppipolla is my favorite track right now.

but I'm not crazy about the vocals. Add to the fact that I cannot understand anything what he is singing about! :lol:

You'll get over it. I know you will. :sexywink:

At the show I caught myself once "singing" along, i.e., making noises that match his the way I do when I'm in my car, then I realized with some horror that I could not do that in public.

Listening to Takk for the third time. I don't know... the music is beautiful, no doubt! but I'm not crazy about the vocals. Add to the fact that I cannot understand anything what he is singing about! :lol: This is my honest first impression. Hoppipolla is my favorite track right now.

When I first started listening to them I had the same complaint but something happened the more I listened to them - it became less about trying to understand what he was singing and more about the entire song and the different layers.

I look at his voice and lyrics as another instrument now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom