Should i buy an iPod? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:24 AM
i agree with you nbcrusader, but at the same time i agree with what others have said. gah!

Old 01-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:24 PM
Look at it this way, would you make the iPod a priority if you were not going to Europe?

If it is still at the top of the "things you need" list, get it.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
ok so i'm getting yes's and no's. gah!
the more you see the less you know
Old 01-12-2005, 09:14 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I'd save the iPod money and keep it as extra spending money in Europe. Or, save it for something nice in the future.
I would too.

Don't get me wrong, I have an iPod, I had it long before most people here got on the bandwagon with the U2 one, and I adore the thing. It's gone with me to school, work, on vacation, etc. Very convenient, sleek design, beautiful and easy to sync - I don't havea single complaint aside from the unreasonably shitty battery life. It is a great investment, but I bought it because I had gotten a chunk of money as a gift and had nothing better to spend it on.

You will always remember your trip to Europe, but in 20 years you won't remember whether you brought an iPod along, trust me. Hell for $300, you can see an extra country for a day or two, or spend it on an activity you otherwise wouldn't have.

I've travelled with it, and honestly, I didn't use it that much. Usually a trip to Europe will entail an overnight flight there, and you can always occupy yourself with other things. And I found that on bus or car rides, it's more fun to talk to people with you or to just enjoy the scenery than listen to the same album you've heard a hundred times. For example, I went on a great trip in Jamaica with a local guide and a few other friends/acquaintances and we spent all our time listening and talking to him and to the local reggae band he was playing on the radio. IMO, a much more valuable experience.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:15 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Look at it this way, would you make the iPod a priority if you were not going to Europe?

If it is still at the top of the "things you need" list, get it.
I think I'll start collecting every penny, nickel, dime, quater, etc. I can find and put them into savings. In a month or so depending on how much I have I'll see whether or not I want to buy one.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:17 AM   #51
Refugee

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Definitely get an iPod if you can afford it, but not necessarily for the trip. As others have said, soak up the scenery and culture, and you can do that better without American and British (and Irish) music tainting your ears.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:23 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

I wouldn't be sightseeing with digital music in my ears. I want to enjoy it. So that's not an issue.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #53
Refugee

Quote:

This is an excellent point. Leaving your music behind may enhance you experience. You will likely hear and see more things and get a better flavor for Europe by leaving a slice of the US behind.
Last time I was in Europe Fall 2000 after I completed my Peace Corps Service. I had a tape player and one u2 tape. hehe

I had a great backpacking experience while listening to my one u2 tape.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:07 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
PS-music helps me get to sleep. I may need that on this trip.

You will be in Europe ..... wine will help you sleep.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:51 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I would get the ipod shuffle but it only holds 240 songs. i think my u2 collection alone exceeds that. i may as well go for the mini. if i get one.

lara. though many here seem to be happy with their ipods, so do my friends.
The $99 new Shuffles are cheap, but as you stated, they only hold 240 songs. That's not enough for me at all. A CD can hold that many (depending on the size of the mp3, of course).

I'm not a fan of the mini-iPods because while a bit smaller, they are nearly the same price as the 20GB iPod. For a mere $50 you go to 5000 songs. To me, that's more than worth the extra bucks. I have over 1000 songs on my iPod already! So it fills up fairly quickly. If the mini's were at least $100 cheaper, they might be a good option, but not at their current price.

Also, it should be pointed out that the 20 GB iPod isn't some gargantuan thing. It's just a bit thicker. It's still ridiculously small. So no matter what you decide, be sure you check for your iPod a lot as it'll be easy to steal and/or lose.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I would too.

Don't get me wrong, I have an iPod, I had it long before most people here got on the bandwagon with the U2 one, and I adore the thing. It's gone with me to school, work, on vacation, etc. Very convenient, sleek design, beautiful and easy to sync - I don't havea single complaint aside from the unreasonably shitty battery life. It is a great investment, but I bought it because I had gotten a chunk of money as a gift and had nothing better to spend it on.

You will always remember your trip to Europe, but in 20 years you won't remember whether you brought an iPod along, trust me. Hell for $300, you can see an extra country for a day or two, or spend it on an activity you otherwise wouldn't have.

I've travelled with it, and honestly, I didn't use it that much. Usually a trip to Europe will entail an overnight flight there, and you can always occupy yourself with other things. And I found that on bus or car rides, it's more fun to talk to people with you or to just enjoy the scenery than listen to the same album you've heard a hundred times. For example, I went on a great trip in Jamaica with a local guide and a few other friends/acquaintances and we spent all our time listening and talking to him and to the local reggae band he was playing on the radio. IMO, a much more valuable experience.
This is great advice.

If you were making some cross-country trip, I think the iPod would be great to have in your car. If you were doing a ton of flying, again, the iPod is great.

But if $$ is really tight, you have ways to occupy your time without music, then use the extra funds on your trip.

I have an iPod because it worked well in my life. But it was a big expense and not something I could readily afford again.

So if you have surplus in your budget and wish to treat yourself to an iPod - go for it. But if in a month, $$ is still tight, then save it for Europe. Buy a far less cheaper CD/mp3 player and burn a few CD's of your favorite mp3's.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #57
War Child

Local Time: 02:24 AM
I LOVE MY iPod!!!! It totally rocks. All my music and still room for more! I say get the iPod. It is totally worth the money!!! i listen to it all the time and i mean ALL the time!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
So if you have surplus in your budget and wish to treat yourself to an iPod - go for it. But if in a month, $$ is still tight, then save it for Europe. Buy a far less cheaper CD/mp3 player and burn a few CD's of your favorite mp3's.
I think this is the best advice that I'm going to follow.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:51 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Should i buy an iPod?

Quote:
This summer I'm going to Europe and have been putting aside every cent for that, not wanting to splurge on anything. However, an iPod would be very convenient to have instead of a bulky CD case and CD player for the trip. I have a little over $1,000 in my savings but am hesitant to spend it. If I were to buy one I'd buy a mini. But do I want to give up $250 for it? Is it worth it? What would y'all do in my situation?

What you don't have, you don't need it now
Old 01-12-2005, 04:52 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

I know i don't need it now but i also don't 'need' to go to europe.