Review the Movie You Viewed 10 (out of 10=Masterpiece)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I Am Love
A stylish, opulent Italian melodrama with a fantastic, vivid central performance from Tilda Swinton and some of the most sensual love scenes I've seen in any film. It's quite slow-paced and it feels a bit remote for the first hour or so, but in the end it blossoms into something quite touching. My only real gripe was the Russian dialogue (Swinton's character is supposed to be originally from Russia) - non-native speakers wouldn't care that the character sounds just like a foreigner trying to speak Russian, but to me it felt jarring and took me out of the movie.

A Star is Born (the Judy Garland version)

Boy, I don't know why it was in my head that this was going to be fantastic. I'd always wanted to see it. I was bored for much of the three hours.

Is the original any better? Is the Babs version any better?

If we're still talking about masterpieces, then Paul Schrader's Mishima belongs in the discussion. Holy shit. Holy fucking shit. It's arguably the best film that I've seen articulate the connection between the artist and his art and its influence over his life. The way the various levels of reality are represented, along with the progression of the ideas, knocked my socks off.

Also, Equinox was a decent B-movie romp. It had an undercurrent of boredom throughout, but there was enough ingenuity and passion behind some of the ideas that I couldn't help but be charmed by some of them.

Colonel Blimp and Black Narcissus will have to wait until I get back home.

Departures 10/10. It deserved the Oscar. It's probably the best movie I've seen about death that actually makes you embrace life more. I had a lump in my throat like 3 times. Warning for those who hate tear jerkers: STAY AWAY, otherwise it's a totally cathartic satisfying movie.

YouTube - Departures - Trailer

Whip It

Eh. Mildly entertaining, but not nearly as much as I'd hoped. I expected more from you, Drew Barrymore!

I plan on watching Whip It at some point just because I'm completely self absorbed with my city.

2046 - Finished the WKW catalog except for my Nora Jonesberry Nights. I'd rank this towards the top, but not my favorite (In the Mood For Love is would be tops for me). Thought that Leung's performance was fantastic, probably my favorite performance in a WKW film. I also thought that Ziyi Zhang was fantastic. Loved the fleeting glimpses we got of Maggie Cheung. Liked it a lot, loved the forlorn vibe running throughout.

Sunrise - Finally back on track with watching the films on that top 1,000 list I'm working off of. I was not prepared for how engrossed I'd get, nor for how emotional the film would make me. Cried at the end, twice. Very moving, and, a very gorgeous film, or so I thought. Lawrence of Arabia is next on the list.

Aliens - After all these years, I finally got around to watching Alien a few months ago, and now Aliens. Pretty enjoyable, I must say. Paced nicely, fairly tense, decent amount of action, Ripley kicking ass again, and 5 laugh out loud moments (some good some bad) for me:

1) Bill Paxton's character saying, quite hysterically "Why don't you put her in charge?!?!?!" - I laughed in a good way

2) The Queen Alien getting in the elevator - I laughed in a bad way

3) Lance Henricksen getting ripped in two - I laughed, loudly, in a good way

4) Ripley yelling "Get away from her you bitch" - I laughed in a bad way, preferred her use of "bitch" in Alien.

5) The door opening and there's Ripley in the big robot suit - I laughed in a good way

Anyway, it was good fun, glad to have finally watched it and its predecessor.

Red Desert will be watched later today.

1. Glad you enjoyed 2046, and Leung really outdoes himself in playing the bitter residue of a previous character. Ziyi Zhang completely heartbreaking esp. in the scene where he gives her money after their "real" date.

2. So did you like Aliens better than Alien? Personally I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Scott's film.

3. Enjoy the Antonioni, although if this is your first I'm not sure if it's the best one to start with.

1. That scene killed me, where she takes the money, looks heartbroken for a few seconds and then moves past it, at least outwardly. Also, the scene where the Japanese businessman pours his heart out to the Hotel owner's eldest daughter only to be met with silence killed me as well.

2. God no, Alien was much better and I should have given my typical three sentence review of it when I saw it. Alien's cast alone was outstanding, and I was genuinely scared a few times....whereas Aliens was fun and explosive but I felt no true tension. Still, Henricksen getting torn in two is astounding.

3. Thanks. Yeah, it's my first but I'm gonna give it a go. I'm not typically distracted (fucking dis-trac-ting) by things in films so I'm hoping Richard Harris being dubbed into Italian does not draw too much of my attention, if that makes sense.

I'm very excited to see Lawrence of Arabia.

It's okay. They move pretty slow. Plus, things are in color these days, so surely that will somehow help.

I've heard that the best way to defeat an army of zombies is to get them to spontaneously break into a choreographed dance. It has worked in the past.

NSW, good work on finally seeing, and enjoying, Alien and Aliens. And I'm glad you got a kick out of Paxton. His character is just absolutely classic. I love both of those movies dearly.

The Runaways

I dug it! I kind-of-sort-of knew Cherry Bomb, but had never heard any other Runaways songs. Must pick up a collection, post haste.

It was better than I was expecting, even though I felt bad that it was mostly the Joan and Cherie show. But if I recall correctly, it was based on Cherie's memoir, so that explains that.

I've heard that the best way to defeat an army of zombies is to get them to spontaneously break into a choreographed dance. It has worked in the past.

NSW, good work on finally seeing, and enjoying, Alien and Aliens. And I'm glad you got a kick out of Paxton. His character is just absolutely classic. I love both of those movies dearly.

Thanks, Hawk Jr. Glad I finally got around to them. Yeah, Paxton was most entertaining once he started to lose his shit. He was like a human version of CP30.

TOO SOON.

080514MichaelJackson68225%5B1%5D.jpg

The Runaways

I dug it! I kind-of-sort-of knew Cherry Bomb, but had never heard any other Runaways songs. Must pick up a collection, post haste.

It was better than I was expecting, even though I felt bad that it was mostly the Joan and Cherie show. But if I recall correctly, it was based on Cherie's memoir, so that explains that.

Watched this Saturday, also enjoyed it.
And yes it was based on "Neon Angel", Cherie's book, and Joan was executive producer, so the focus was on those 2. I would have liked a little more of Lita Ford involved in the story, the scene where she blows up in the studio, seems Scout Taylor Compton had her pegged pretty well. And Twilight girl did well as Joan Jett.

Chloe

Well ... it started out being better than I thought it was going to be. But then the last half hour was completely ridiculous.

Amanda Seyfriend's wardrobe was lovely, so that was something. And I always enjoy looking at Liam Neeson. And at least it was only 90 minutes.

Inception

giving it 1 outta 10.
the 1 for special effects

7/8 outta 10 for Leo's acting

Freedom of opinion and all... but 1??? Are you sure this isn't your backlash against hype, you would objectively give it a 1/10?? :crack:

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (won tickets to a press screening)

8/10. It's lavish and constantly eye-popping...there isn't too much going on below the surface here, but a lot of really innovative ideas (in pretty much every scene) that help get across its quirky graphic novel flavor from the pages to the screen.

Green Zone... sucked. I never thought I'd have to say that for Paul Greengrass, especially when it was supposed to have come from such engaging source material. This had nothing to do with the book, or the truth, it was so heavy-handed and bashing it's point across, even if I agree with the fact that we were mislead into war and it was mismanaged once we were there, this screenplay is still garbage. Pretty strong action, nothing interesting from the cast of mostly strong actors. I am glad I ended up not having time to see it in theaters, watching it from Netflix was bad enough.

Someone needs to adapt the expose it is 'based' off of into a documentary instead.

Inception

9.2/10

And I wouldn't be surprised if I give it an even higher grade next time I see it, 'cause yesterday I was reaaaaally tired when I got to the theatre.

Back
Top Bottom