Review the Movie You Viewed 10 (out of 10=Masterpiece)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alfred has quite a few 10 out of 10s:

The Lady vanishes (need Criterion DVD for better sound)
39 steps (need Criterion DVD for better sound)
Rebecca
Foreign Correspondent (underrated)
Spellbound
Notorious
Rear Window
Vertigo (my fav)
North by northwest (Looks great on Blu-ray now)
Psycho (coming on Blu-ray this fall)
The Birds

Most of these movies improve when there is little explanation on first viewing since it's easy to spoil the endings.

Empire Records

Fucking hell.

Typically, I'm proud of the man I am. I am confident that my tastes in entertainment are superior to that of others, I own enough band tees to clothe the whole of Africa, and, as long as I stay in the right parts of town (>2 Starbucks per square kilometer), I'm OK with being scrawny. However, certain movies occasionally make me want to repent of my lifestyle. 6 months ago, I watched 500 Days of Summer and felt like the biggest jackass to ever walk the earth by initially falling for the hype, as well as knowing I'm continually associated with such narcissistic, useless people. I thought I had learned better. Sadly, movies centered on people who enjoy music are my Achilles' heel.

Prior to this evening, I didn't think there was a way to screw up a film about kids trying to save a record score with the power of music and naivety. Tonight, however, I found several:

1. Wooden acting. Sure, my friends couldn't have done much better, and I suppose that should make the film even more relatable, but my film would have a better soundtrack. Which brings me to...

2. Crappy soundtracks. Again, I wasn't certain it was possible, but Empire Records blew my mind once more: here lies an indietastic film that offers no entertainment in the audio department. If you're so far up your own pretentious ass that you need to put a cover of a Big Star song in your film, you shouldn't be attempting to operate a camera.

3. Plot holes large enough to make Lance's mom blush. By the end of the film, I had no idea why the fuck anything was happening. Well, beyond offering an excuse to shove in another bland '80s "gem" we were all better off forgetting, and pairing it with a nonsensical montage that serves to forward the film without forcing the screenwriter to actually get out of bed.

4. Reminders of why you hate the decade the film is set in. Present in Empire Records are "have a nice daze" posters, kids slacking all over the fucking place, orange hair, and -- even though this plight isn't specific to the '90s, I'm pointing it out regardless -- quoting Jim Morrison as if one is reading from the holiest of holy script. Everyone in this film needs their ass kicked.

In sum: so bad, it makes me want to change my avatar, as well as change my Interference birthdate from 1991 to 1989, just to get me out of the fucking '90s. 3/10.

Alfred has quite a few 10 out of 10s:

The Lady vanishes (need Criterion DVD for better sound)
39 steps (need Criterion DVD for better sound)
Rebecca
Foreign Correspondent (underrated)
Spellbound
Notorious
Rear Window
Vertigo (my fav)
North by northwest (Looks great on Blu-ray now)
Psycho (coming on Blu-ray this fall)
The Birds

Most of these movies improve when there is little explanation on first viewing since it's easy to spoil the endings.

In no way is Spellbound a 10/10. In fact, it's widely regarded as a bit of a Hitchcock misstep.

Personally, I prefer other mixed bags from that period like Stage Fright and I Confess.

The other great ones missing from your list are Strangers on a Train, Saboteur, and the divisive though fascinating Under Capricorn and Marnie.

Wasn't Spellbound less a Hitchcock misstep and more of a get-the-fuck-out-of-the-way-Selznick misstep? Or am I thinking of a different movie

In no way is Spellbound a 10/10. In fact, it's widely regarded as a bit of a Hitchcock misstep.

Personally, I prefer other mixed bags from that period like Stage Fright and I Confess.

The other great ones missing from your list are Strangers on a Train, Saboteur, and the divisive though fascinating Under Capricorn and Marnie.

Feel free to add to the list. There's no science to "greatness" or "masterpieces". I personally HATE Bridge on the river Kwai but others think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I still think I got most of them. I also like Lifeboat. I still like Spellbound and it's Dali influence. The ending was cool. I haven't seen Stage Fright and I Confess yet.

I'm with stupid on this one, although I know he likes it way more than I do. I simply can't get past the fact that the ending changes virtually the entire meaning and vibe of the original story, to its detriment. It comes off as so preachy and ugly and petulant. Thankfully, Malcolm McDowell gives one of my all-time favorite performances (Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard and Kevin Spacey in American Beauty are right there with it) and nearly sells the film for me, although not quite.

It's only because all his other films are so great.

Well, yes, everything is relative, of course.

But, for me, I have a hard time thinking that The Shining is not his "worst" film. Again, not saying it's bar, or even close to bad, just not in the same league with ACO or 2001 or Strangelove, etc.

IN MY OPINION.

Funny, I find the ending of ACO nearly saves the film. Nearly. I never read the novel though. Don't want to either.

Funny, I find the ending of ACO nearly saves the film. Nearly. I never read the novel though. Don't want to either.

There's no doubt that the ending of the novel is markedly different than the film version, and as I see it....a "better" more thoughtful ending.

That being said, I could not care less about that when watching the film. It's a distinct entity and I judge it on its own merits, as I always try to do when watching any adaptation.

There's no doubt that the ending of the novel is markedly different than the film version, and as I see it....a "better" more thoughtful ending.

That being said, I could not care less about that when watching the film. It's a distinct entity and I judge it on its own merits, as I always try to do when watching any adaptation.

See, I do care though, and this is what bugs me about his adaptation of The Shining. Not that I've read Clockwork, but it just seems wrong to take someone else's work and change it so markedly. As far as The Shining goes, I'd probably flat out love it if it went by any other name. As it is, it's probably my favorite of King's works, and so, I really get irked every damn time I watch the movie and realize this is nothing at all what the story was supposed to be.

Yeah, knowing the novel is out there kind of ruins the movie for me. I like the political satire the ending offers, but it does feel like a hopeless "fuck you" to the audience and leaves me cold. The whole film does, but I acknowledge that it has a unique aesthetic and terrific dialogue. I just don't have any desire to watch it again.

Re: favorite Kubrick, I watch The Shining as a comedy and greatly enjoy it as such. Casting Nicholson as a man who was supposed to have some semblance of sanity for about half the film was a horrendous idea, but there's Kubrick's adapting techniques at work once more. Strangelove is what I would consider his "best" film; absolutely brilliant and hilarious.

Also, with my appreciation for film noir steadily increasing, I want to see The Killing really badly.

See, I do care though, and this is what bugs me about his adaptation of The Shining. Not that I've read Clockwork, but it just seems wrong to take someone else's work and change it so markedly. As far as The Shining goes, I'd probably flat out love it if it went by any other name. As it is, it's probably my favorite of King's works, and so, I really get irked every damn time I watch the movie and realize this is nothing at all what the story was supposed to be.

I hear you, I have read a TON of books that were adapted into films and were altered, changed, etc....and I'm able to disassociate, for whatever reason.

Most people can't or don't, and that's fine, too.

Back
Top Bottom