Review the last movie you viewed (NO LISTS) II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
grumpypray.gif
grumpypray.gif

got_edge said:
Grindhouse: 7.5/10

What an adventure, gang! Though I've never been a big fan of zombie movies, I'd have to say I enjoyed Rodriguez's Planet Terror more out of the two. But at the same time, both films were incredibly fun. They each had the perfect balance of wit, dark humor and, of course, lots of gore.

Planet Terror was much more action-packed and had more crazy storylines crammed in. They don't make the scenes boring or the storyline complicated but rather the character interactions and the resulting dialogue is what makes this film better than Death Proof. Of course, you can't go wrong with all the explosions and the machine gun leg. 8/10

What I loved most about Death Proof is all the talking that goes on. Sure, people are expecting much more blood and sex (duh) but I think it's the long, witty conversations between The Girls that makes it... awesome. Really, though, you can place The Girls in any type of situation regardless of what sadistic fate awaits them and you'll have the same end result. I think it's because of how irrelevent the car chasing scenes were to the rest of the movie that makes this one suffer a little. It almost seemed like two different films (think: From Dusk Til Dawn). 7/10

CLIFF NOTES: :blahblah: go see it- it's a lot of fun.

PS: Get a SMALL drink from the concession stand. Thanks for the peepee jokes, Quentin! :grumpy:

I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING STATED ABOVE :love:

Except the only thing I liked about Death Proof was the car chase stuffs. The ending was so satisfying :drool:

Overall I'd say 8/10

Planet Terror was just :combust:

Oh, wait! The faux-trailers (word up to Don't) get a 100/10 :up:

Last edited:
Well, last night we received United 93 via Netflix.
And in lieu of everything that has happened in the world, we decided to not watch it and we returned it, for the second time:|

I don't think I'll ever watch that movie.:huh:

RedrocksU2 said:
And in lieu of everything that has happened in the world, we decided to not watch it and we returned it, for the second time:|

I liked the ending- it was intense.

Queen Bee said:
SHUT UP:

got_edge: machete was the best
got_edge: but duh
got_edge: it's the only one i saw

:tsk:!!!!!!!!!!!

Is posting private emails, Private Messages (PMs), chat logs, or Instant Message logs ok?

ONLY if you have the consent of the other party(s) involved in the communication in question. Posting of private communications without the consent of the other party(s) involved is reason to have your forum membership terminated and to be banned from the forum. This also applies to any private communications which are to or from the sites' staff whether they be posted here or elsewhere. In some places, posting of such communications without consent is considered illegal.
:shame:

I just watched Brokeback Mountain for the first time today.

I dont know why it took me so long but I actually thought it was really good, and really sad.
I give it 9/10.

Sicy said:
I just watched Brokeback Mountain for the first time today.

I dont know why it took me so long but I actually thought it was really good, and really sad.
I give it 9/10.
I thought Ledger was great in this but Gyllenhaal annoyed the hell out of me.

Heath Ledger was A+. And such a change from other roles I've seen him in (10 Things I H8 About You, The Patriot). Jakey was nothing spectacular and it was really Heath that carried the movie.

Yeah I can agree with that :up:

Even though half the time I couldnt understand what the hell he was saying :mad: :lol:

Oh my god, me either! I had the volume up high, and I could not understand nor even hear half the time, any of the dialogue.

RedrocksU2 said:

It's really great, and doesn't feel at all Hollywood. But I agree it really does take a lot out of you. The last 10 minutes in particular are really hard to watch. You're just begging and begging that they'll break through the doors, pull up the plane, and somehow make it out alive.
I've never been more physically affected by any other movie. I didn't cry in it, but it left me with such an emptiness in my chest. I still get it when I think about what I saw. It's as close as we can get to the real thing. :slant:
--------

On a light note, HOT FUZZ is/was/will forever be fantastic! I laughed so hard in the last half hour.
It has quite of bit of guns in the movie, so if you're having a hard time grieving I wouldn't recommend watching it so soon, but it really was hilarious.
I love the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost relationship.

If you loved Shaun of the Dead, you'll love this one.

9.9999/10
(I found it funnier than Borat, too)

PlaTheGreat said:
HOT FUZZ is/was/will forever be fantastic! I laughed so hard in the last half hour.
It has quite of bit of guns in the movie, so if you're having a hard time grieving I wouldn't recommend watching it so soon, but it really was hilarious.
I love the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost relationship.

If you loved Shaun of the Dead, you'll love this one.

9.9999/10
(I found it funnier than Borat, too)

"Yaaarrrrp" :up:

I hate to sound like Lancemc, but that was probably the best movie I've seen this year (so far) :wink:

The mix of action and comedy was brilliant and balls-to-the-wall action scenes during the last act were incredibly well done :love:

I saw Hot Fuzz last night as well. I was a bit disappointed. Just a better-than-average comedy for me. Probably a 7/10.

The best film this year by far has been Zodiac. :drool: I'm dying to see this again on DVD.

I'm planning to go to a movie with a friend this week sometime. I hope Zodiac is still in at the bargain theater then, because we missed it at the big theaters. I'm too much of a wuss to go see it by myself :reject:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I'm planning to go to a movie with a friend this week sometime. I hope Zodiac is still in at the bargain theater then, because we missed it at the big theaters. I'm too much of a wuss to go see it by myself :reject:

The murder scenes really aren't that bad...well, one of them is...but still, they're so beautifully filmed that you WANT to watch them. But there is one scene later in the movie that is utterly terrifying. It even had me pushing myself back into my seat, haha.

But it's seriously one of the best films I've seen in the past couple years. Do yourself a favor and see it if you still can. :yes:

BonoIsMyMuse said:

I think it is a very good film.

And not that gruesom

It does a good job of capturing the seventies

Queen Bee said:

I hate to sound like Lancemc, but that was probably the best movie I've seen this year (so far) :wink:
Too late. Anyway, I wasn't planning on watching Hot Fuzz based on the trailer but I guess I'm gonna have to now. I don't trust Pla's 9.99999 rating... how would you rate it?

Disturbia

7/10

I was hoping it wouldn't be too much of a slasher movie and it wasn't. Pretty good story line. If I could do it again I would rent it instead of seeing it in the theater though.

Inside Man (Denzel Washington, Clive Owen, Jodie Foster, Christopher Plummer)

Good story line, not just a typical bank robbery/hostage situation

8/10

Rumor Has It (Jennifer Aniston, Kevin Costner, Mark Ruffalo, Shirley MacLaine)
Aniston is engaged to Ruffalo's character. Rumors where they grew up/society circles about "Mrs. Robinson" character from "The Graduate" and if it might be based on someone in Aniston's family.
No great acting or much surprise here.

meh - 5.5/10

I viewed Ghost World as a means of seeing as much of Scarlett Johansson's work as I am able. To my disappointment, her role was less pronounced than I had expected, but the film was strong nonetheless- very quirky and open to interpretation. It focuses on an unlikely friendship between an eccentric young girl and a socially awkward middle-aged man, and the manner in which that relationship interferes with the friendship of that girl and Scarlett's character. Much of it, in terms of setting and character development, reminded me of a more ambitious and serious version of Napoleon Dynamite- especially the town, which seemed to be suspended in a late 80s or early 90s timeframe. Overall, a quaint but strong film.

7/10

got_edge said:
Too late. Anyway, I wasn't planning on watching Hot Fuzz based on the trailer but I guess I'm gonna have to now. I don't trust Pla's 9.99999 rating... how would you rate it?

I'd say 9 or 9.5. The trailer doesn't do it any justice. It kind of plays out as more of a homage to cop/action movies than a parody to them, much in the same vein as Shaun of The Dead (except that was a different genre, obviously). If you love SOTD or British comedy (as I know you do :flirt: ) you'll definitely enjoy it. It's just a tad too long, but the last act makes up for it. Trust me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom