Reading? Still Sexy: Books Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Miéville really is fantastic...and inventive. And he's starting to evolve a bit, too, which is nice.

I'll check Priest out...the last author you recommended that I acted upon was Tim Powers....loved one title, didn't really like the other....but 1 out of 2 aint bad at all.

I loved loved loved The Anubis Gates and didn't really like Declare, even though I figured I'd love it due to my affinity for the espionage genre and such.

Have you read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, or, anything by Neal Stephenson?

I started Snow Crash a long time ago and never finished it. I also bought Cryptonomicon and Quicksilver but only got a little into each one.

The Anubis Gates is one of my fav sci-fi books ever, and maybe the best time travel book I've ever read (though it's far more than that). Declare isn't not up there with his best work IMO though it does have some great ideas.

If you're into pirates, his book On Stranger Tides was optioned and gutted for the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, but it really is a thrilling novel on its own with some very cool supernatural elements.

I think you might like Last Call a lot, which is followed by one called Expiration Date, and then one called Earthquake Weather which is kind of a dovetail sequel to both. But the former is the best of the three and certainly stands alone. It involves Las Vegas and the myth of The Fisher King. Neat stuff.

If you're into the Gothic/Romantic period, one of his best works is The Stress of Her Regard, which imagines the lives of Mary Shelley, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Lord Byron, etc. getting mixed up with some vampiric muse. It's really genius how he interweaves references in their own work as "evidence" for his fantasy.

I started and stopped Cryptonomicon 2x, but never gave up......and once it clicked for me, it was phenomenal and now I'm a huge fan of his.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is pretty fantastic, you might want to look into it.

I'll check Last Call out, then.....thanks. And, yes, Anubis Gates was really marvelous.

If I ever typed "If you're into Pirates" you'd have a field day with that. :) But, as it turns out, I do enjoy a good Pirate tale (not tail) from time to time.

Oh, and, if you ever want to read a compulsively readable sci-fi book, think about Spin by Robert Charles Wilson.

It's not my preferred genre, but I'd heard so many good things about Stephenson, so I gave it a shot. It took me a couple of tries to get into Cryptonomicon, but eventually it clicked, and I'm glad I kept with it. Raves from friends led me to Gaiman as well, and I read a couple of his that I absolutely loved as well (American Gods and Neverwhere).

I have Snow Crash, which I'll get around to eventually.

Yeah, I just thought of both because it was the "authors in genres I wouldn't have picked up on my own but enough of my friends love them so it made me check it out" kind of thing. :)

Since I'm heading to Texas this summer, I thought I'd read up a bit on it.

The West From a Car Window, by Richard Harding Davis

Loved this. He wrote a series of articles about The West, mostly Texas, for an Eastern magazine whose names escapes me right now, maybe Harper's Weekly, in 1892. This book is the 1903 edition, I think, even though the date says 1892. He looks at the West without too many illusions, even for 1892. He writes about Denver, ranch life, and all kinds of interesting things. He goes to Creed, Colorado, just as it's beginning as a mining town. It's really terrific. Oh, and many of the illustrations were done by Remington, who kicks Russell's ass all over the place.

Life in the Saddle, by Frank Collinson

I had picked this up at a library sale many years ago, and my friend in Clarendon, the one we're going to visit on his ranch, suggested I read it. Collinson and the illustrator both lived in Clarendon for a while, so that's the connection. Collinson came to Texas from England as a teenager in 1872 to work as a cowboy and spent his whole life as a cowboy and rancher. I liked many parts of this book, although since he was an old man when he wrote these pieces, he writes like an old man talks, and that got a little old after a while. Another thing that got real old real fast was the descriptions of the senseless killing of wild animals. I understand that animals die and cattle ranching's about slaughter, but Collinson participated in the extermination of the buffalo in Texas and describes his role in eliminating the grey wolf from Texas as well. Other animals who cross his path don't fare that well either, and that's not even the hunting part. I liked it, but parts of it were too tedious or too graphic for me.

Rock Bottom by Michael Shilling

Shilling was the drummer for PNW-based band The Long Winters, so he's got some experience behind his tale set in one day in the life of a band on its final downward spiral, in Amsterdam.

Some of it was funny, some was just gross and disturbing. He certainly knows how to tell a very seedy and grungy tale. I feel like I need a shower.

Live! From Death Valley: Dispatches From America's Low Point by John Soennichsen.

When I can't be in Death Valley I like to read about Death Valley. Soennichsen has spent nearly two decades exploring Death Valley. I've been everywhere he talked about in the book except Devil's Hole, which scares the heck out of me, although I must admit I am tempted to take a look. The chapter on Pupfish (which don't exist anywhere in the world except Death Valley) was interesting. They've not only survived their environment but the threat of man as well. Yay, Pupfish!

The author talks about the time he camped out at Badwater in June "to experience the summer heat" (camping on the salt flats isn't allowed but the author claims there used to be less rangers in the park during the summer months and that's how he got away with it) and the time he camped out at Racetrack Playa to see if he could catch the moving rocks in action. He didn't. No one has.

An interesting, informative book that made me miss the place more than ever.

^ I've heard about those moving rocks; they're incredible!

I started reading Water for Elephants in the GA line yesterday. It's pretty good so far.

Two Kisses for Maddy, Matt Logelin. A memoir. The author's wife died suddenly just hours after giving birth to their daughter. He is now a single father and popular blogger as he writes about raising Maddy by himself.

Long Drive Home, Will Allison. A father tries to teach a reckless teenage driver a lesson. This causes an accident that only he and his six-year-old daughter are witnesses to. He lies to the police about what really happened. The story is in how his life and his relationship with his daughter unravel in the years that follow.

2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America, Albert Brooks. So disjointed and rambling I couldn't even finish it.

I am now a few chapters into The English Patient, by Michael Ondaatje. The writing is beautiful.

I know I said I wasn't planning on reading any more Stephen King, but I found The Bachman Books at a thrift store for $1, so whatever.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think The Long Walk is one of the best things he ever wrote. A great dystopian existential thriller, and refreshing in its simplicity and containment, compared to his usual sprawling works (at least the ones I've read).

I'm a little surprised this hasn't been turned into a film yet, but it's very, very dark.

Also, he was only like 19 when he wrote this? Fuuuuuuck.

Finally picked up the first two books in Coetzee's fictional autbiographical series, Boyhood and Youth, almost a year after reading Summertime. Coetzee pretends he is dead, and pretends he is a biographer writing a story on Coetzee, and interviews people who have been a part of his life and imagines what they'd say. It is utterly spellbinding and some of the most audacious writing I've ever read. For anyone who is looking for something different, this is a great series.

I read my first book on a Kindle. I got it through Woot, and it was such a good deal, I couldn't pass it up, as it will be perfect for Ireland, as it'll be easier to pack than a couple of books.

I have to say - I really enjoyed reading on it, particularly on the bus. Easier to hold and turn pages with one hand (coffee in the other). Light. Damn.

I wish books were cheaper. I don't want to spend $10 or more on an electronic book. I went through my 10-page book wish list on Amazon and found a handful that were around $5, and bought a couple to try out. I hope Kindle comes out with an option to check books out from the library.

Anyway, I read Meg Cabot's Airhead, which is about, I shit you not, a teenaged outcast who gets a brain transplant from a teenaged supermodel. Silly, fluffy and fun, just like I like my Meg Cabot books. Although this one was sillier than most. Which might explain why it was clearly written to kick off a series, but as far as I can tell has not had a sequel yet.

Anyway. I'm also slogging through Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette book, and I can't decide if I want to keep reading it or not. If I'm still skimming in another 100 pages, I'll probably give it up.

Anyway. I'm also slogging through Antonia Fraser's Marie Antoinette book, and I can't decide if I want to keep reading it or not. If I'm still skimming in another 100 pages, I'll probably give it up.

If you do, I won't blame you. It is very dry reading. I don't know how I managed reading it myself.

I officially gave up on it today. :)

I think I was all gung-ho about reading it after the Sofia Copolla movie (which I loved), but I probably man, that was years ago. I guess that's what I get for getting books and letting them sitting around gathering dust for so long.

It took me 18 months (17.9 of them stuck on ~p.30), but I just finished Crime and Punishment. When I first picked it up I just wasn't ready, because powering through the drunk Marmeladov monologue really prepares you for the rest of the novel's occasional prolonged stream-of-consciousness logorrhea.

I'm glad I stuck with it because Dostoevsky has a knack for cranking up intense dialogue, notably in Raskolnikov and the Detective's several scenes, and the Katerina dinner party.

Finally, I know what Woody Allen was going on about in Match Point.

Anyone else think Jane Austen is irrepressibly boring?

Also, I've hated many things, but not many as much as I hated
the-curious-incident-of-the-dog-in-the-night-time-book-cover.jpg

Yes! :hi5:

I've tried to read at least three of her books, and at first they'd go down well, but after some time her whole world inevitably starts to bore and suffocate me silly.

I have however enjoyed most of the film/TV adaptations of her novels, so it's clearly not the story or characters per se that's the problem. Maybe it's something about her prose that rubs me wrong.

I did Lit in yr 11 and we were prescribed Persuasion, and I could never even get past three or four pages. One particular film / TV adaption was more enjoyable, but that was because the lead character was played by a woman with the unfortunate name of Amanda Root, and being 16-17 we all thought that was fucking hilarious.

Still kinda is

Anyone else think Jane Austen is irrepressibly boring?

Yes! I don't understand the appeal at all and didn't make it very far into Pride and Prejudice. :down: Also, I had to see a theatrical performance of Pride and Prejudice at a friend-of-a-friend's college and it eventually became a game of How Long Can Rachel Stay Awake? :crack:

Cheerfulness Breaks In by Angela Thirkell

This continues the Thirkell series and her wartime novels are her best, I think. This was published in early '40, when the shit was clearly going to hit the fan in Britain any day. It's another light English countryside love story, but the young men are joining up and facing death in the coming war, there are evacuees to adjust to, and German immigrants to despise. It's terrific, with genuinely funny parts, witty turns of phrase, and an ending that makes you catch your breath and scurry to your Thirkell guide to make sure the character survives. I can't imagine how her readers in '40 managed. But then, they were heading into very dark days, so they may have been better equipped than I was.

This of course led to

The Battle of Britain, by Richard Hough and Denis Richards

This is an interesting and easy to read history of the Battle of Britain. It's strictly about the RAF air battle, and covers the Battle from the official opening to the official closing. The London bombing is only discussed as it relates to the Battle. The authors are quick to praise the pilots on both sides, but offer serious criticism of the Luftwaffe leadership. Thank God the Luftwaffe leadership fucked it all up.

I hate to say it, but I don't think 2011 is going to be another "70-plus books read" in the Cori household. :(

If you do, I won't blame you. It is very dry reading. I don't know how I managed reading it myself.

I actually loved this one. That, and Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution were two that I particularly enjoyed in recent times.

The Metamorphosis is basically an early Rob Schneider work.

"Rob Schneider is a moderately successful film and television actor loved by thousands of fraternity members. But one day, Rob Schneider woke up as...a cockroach! Now his family has turned against him, and he's got to find a way to keep his position at the firm and derpitty derpitty derp derp.

Rob Schneider is...The Cockroach! Rated PG-13."

But seriously, I'm reading a Kafka collection right now and digging that classic pretty hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom