Random Music Talk LX: Cori's Skrillex Karaoke was a Tribute to ZooTV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Man, live albums are pointless most of the time, but occasionally they're a godsend. I never have to listen to A Ghost Is Born ever again now that I've heard Kicking Television; Wilco plays nine tracks from it, and they're all the good ones. And they mop the floor with the originals, which sound dull and detached in comparison (AGIB is dull and detached compared to most albums, but that's part of its strange appeal).

Similarly, I never had to listen to Tommy again once I heard Live At Leeds deluxe. The original sounds like a blueprint. Then again, The Who are probably my favorite live band ever.

Man, live albums are pointless most of the time, but occasionally they're a godsend. I never have to listen to A Ghost Is Born ever again now that I've heard Kicking Television; Wilco plays nine tracks from it, and they're all the good ones. And they mop the floor with the originals, which sound dull and detached in comparison (AGIB is dull and detached compared to most albums, but that's part of its strange appeal).

I am with you 100%. I blasted that baby a few times on my road trip. This right here is perfection:

Wilco - Misunderstood (Kicking Television) - YouTube

That one's a white whale for me. They opened with Sunken Treasure instead of Misunderstood the last time I saw them, which was a fair trade-off. I'm sure I'll get it next time.

Holy fuck, our encore was sick. I wasn't a big enough fan at the time to appreciate how great this set was, minus the Sky Blue Sky shit.

I was happily surprised to hear it at Red Rocks. He chopped off a bunch of "nothings" which I always thought I wanted but then it seemed sort of anticlimactic without them. Still fantastic, of course.

Man, live albums are pointless most of the time, but occasionally they're a godsend.

The restaurant where I was drinking earlier played the entirety of Zeppelin's How the West Was Won. That might be the best live album I have ever heard. Neil Young's Massey Hall 1971 would probably be second.

Man, you want to get out some frustrations? Get a coconut. Those bastards take some serious whacking to crack them open, and then prying the meat off the inside is just a joy to behold. Two dollars for a coconut, but an afternoon of stress relief.

LM, you'll appreciate this. Last night a DJ played Niggas in Paris and when it got to the Blades of Glory sample, he mixed it into a 360 song.

And for some reason these people are considered gods. I've never heard anything so offensive in my entire life.

:wave: I've never thought they quite got in right in the studio, and that was confirmed when I saw them. Excellent, high-class musicianship, good songwriting, but the production always holds them back a bit. Until you hear Meet Me In The Basement live, you don't know how energetic they can be.

I dunno, I love both You Forgot it in People and Forgiveness Rock Record. I see where you're coming from though. I think the production is why I don't really like the self-titled. Aside from Ibi and It's All Gonna Break I find it pretty boring. And they were miles better live.

Still, tracks like Ibi, It's All Gonna Break, KC Accidental, Chase Scene, World Sick, Water in Hell, Art House Director, Cause = Time, these all sound pretty epic on record, and that's leaving aside all the slower, quieter songs like Anthems, Sentimental X's, Shoreline, etc.

They are. So much so I wasn't really all that bothered that they didn't play Ibi Dreams of Pavement. I remember they were all hanging out the back of the joint afterwards too, smoking. I said something like "awesome, awesome show" and I think Brendan Canning said "thanks man". It's the only time I wish I smoked, I could have gone up to Lisa Lobsinger and been all like "hey Lisa, great show, want a cigarette?" And we would have talked, made out a little bit, fallen in love and started a family together.

Though, it begs the question, if the whole band was out there smoking, but she needed to be offered a cigarette by cobbler in the first place, does she smoke?

bono_212 said:
Though, it begs the question, if the whole band was out there smoking, but she needed to be offered a cigarette by cobbler in the first place, does she smoke?

She was smoking, I just needed a way in.

Today has been one of those days where I just get a song stuck in my head and listen to it over and over. I've played KC Accidental about 10 times today.

Joyful, I sincerely can't thank you enough. The DLPA and the MSM (I found some yesterday at Walmart) are working wonders, more than the pain relievers, which I'm still taking, cause it can't hurt.

I don't know how much of a mood elevator the DLPA is being for me, cause twice this morning I was going to have to cut a bitch. We went up to the university hospital to get my brother's staples out of the back of his head, and there's a diner nearby, so we stopped in to grab some breakfast. In the booth next to us were a group of college girls, heavily pierced and tattooed. And they had to stare at my brother, who wasn't bothering anyone, and giggle at every little noise he made. My brother doesn't like to be stared at, but he was in a good mood, so he didn't act out or anything. Both me and my mom said, not so quietly, how rude and disrespectful it was that they were staring at him. Didn't stop them until they got their food. Then my brother had to go to the bathroom, so my mom took him and one of the girls turned around and said to me, "Are you over it yet?" My fingers curled around the butterknife in my hand, but I didn't acknowledge what she said beyond that, cause I would have removed several of her piercings with the butterknife. As we got up to leave, my brother farted while he stood next to their table. Unintentional, but my brother's farts are like tear gas.

Then, we take him to Walmart, which is our usual Sunday routine, to go grocery shopping, and he was acting out because we didn't go our usual route around the store. My mom and I were trying to calm him down, because he was pounding his fists on the side of the cart and being loud, and my mom was being loud and stern with him back, and some random lady walking past goes, "Why do we need to yell in the store?" and I turned around and shouted back, "Cause it's a free goddamn country, lady." Fucking hate people. Sometimes I think we need to tattoo "Autism" on my brother's forehead, but we shouldn't have to. My mom wants to go on vistaprint.com and get business cards that say, "Your staring doesn't offend us, but your ignorance does" with a link to Autism Speaks or something.

People are fuckin' assholes.

Do you guys remember Master P? Whatever happened to that guy?

Oh, yeah. I don't know where he is now, but the thing I remember most about him is that he was a really good basketball player. I think he even played in the NBA for a minute. I want to say for the Hornets. And his son, Lil Romeo (!), played basketball at USC.

On that same note, I think it's kinda interesting that Puff Daddy's son and Snoop Dogg's son will be playing football together for UCLA. Small world.

And now I just suddenly got extremely excited for college football season to start.

I can't wait for college football to start.

This. TCU's about to face some cold, hard reality in the Big 12, but that's alright.

Football in general is something we need back. I was watching Lethal Weapon last night and there was a playoff game on Danny Glover's old-school TV and I was like shiiit...best sport ever. Let's get this shit on the road.

The kid diddling is in the past.

Penn St. has survived. This shit spins forward.

Illinois has a new football coach, and he is a god damned raving lunatic and I love him.

Back
Top Bottom