Random Music Talk LII: No Cobbler, No Cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Based on that recent p4K article about Albarn's upcoming projects, it sounds like a new Blur album is basically a done deal at some point. Awesome news.

Fuck yeah. I'll listen to anything he releases, but I would rather be listening to Blur.

Cobbler, re: 2012, you shouldn't miss Schoolboy Q's album. Really dark and clever hip-hop, but humorous and with a lot of swagger. It's not perfect, but I think that guy is on his way to making a truly excellent album soon enough.

Possibly my favorite on the album as well. I've got to say End of the Century has grown on me a lot over the years...what a tremendous chorus that song has.

Girls and Boys has gotten kinda old though. As far as Blur album openers go, I think it's my least favorite (yeah, I love She's So High).

Yeah, it's not my favorite either. Compared to Tender, Beetlebum, and Ambulance it comes off slight. But I do prefer it to Stereotypes and whatever opens Modern Life.

Badhead has always been a favorite of mine. Favorite is probably between that and Track Jacks. The album is rather top-heavy for me, despite This Is A Low and To The End being standouts. Which is ultimately why I consider the self-titled my favorite, because the second half of that album has Death Of A Party, Movin' On, Essex Dogs, Strange News From Another Star, and Killer For Your Love.

The Great Escape doesn't get enough love or conversation. It's a superb Brit Pop album, its main crime being that it's not Parklife. But in terms of maturity and sophistication it's so well-written and performed, even if it can be a bit of a slog. I mean, I honestly can't tell you how half the songs go.

Nope. Downloaded Modern Life is Rubbish.

Spent the final night in Thailand watching The Shawshank Redemption. Man is that an incredible movie. I'd seen it before but the ending never fails to make me cry.

lazarus said:
and whatever opens Modern Life.

Uh, For Tomorrow. A top 10 Blur track for me, great single, and encore regular for their reunion gigs. Definitely a classic in league with all the others.

I don't think I ever noticed how great they are at album openers.

After hearing it 10 or so times, I don't really have an opinion on the Great Escape. It has some off-the-charts classics (Country House, The Universal, He Thought of Cars) a bunch of unremarkable filler, and some great lyrics, possibly Albarn's best. It's difficult to cut anything on a concept album, but I could certainly live without hearing Top Man and Ernold Same again.

That new Lanegan album is pretty good actually, once I figured out that the 2nd half is much, much stronger than the 1st one, which bored me to death to be frank.

Holy cow, youz guyz were very talky last night!

I was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast (dont ask. first time) and that Deadmou5 douche was on. I just don't understand how someone who should know a lot about music thought that Vanilla Ice covered The Eurythmics on Ice Ice Baby. He said something else incredibly ignorant for a musician too, but I can't remember. And he generally came off as an ass

I listened to the first 30 mins or so of this one and quit as well. The freaking guy couldn't think of the name of songs he himself had freaking remixed (A Black Keys one specifically). I actually think he's pretty decent at what he does, but I was really unimpressed with his personality in general on that podcast. Maybe it was just a bad day.

As a side note, some of the Joe Rogan podcasts are awesome. I usually pick and choose which, but when he has guys on who also like fighting, they'll seriously talk about MMA for 2 hours. Do you happen to listen to or watch Ariel Helwani's MMA Hour video podcast? It's usually really good.

the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Noooooooo!!!!!! :wink:

So I don't think I've really heard any new albums from this year yet. What are some great ones that you (pl.) think I'd enjoy?

Check out the Chairlift and Shearwater threads. Some songs to try out there. I'm also really liking the new Air album, but this would not be the place to start. Friggin' Cobbler.

My favourite release of the year so far is Burial's Kindred EP. It just got BNM'd as well.

You can only buy it from their label now or something? I know it's available to purchase digitally there, but not on iTunes, Amazon, etc. Despite having credits on iTunes and Amazon, I may have to just buy it directly from the label rather htan wait and see when it finally becomes available elsewhere.

I bought it from Hyperdub yes. I don't think there is an expected release date yet for the vinyl or an iTunes release. It's definitely worth the 2.5 quid I paid for it.

Hey, if you want to write books, write books. I want to do that too, it's mainly why I'm thinking of teaching; it would be a good front for my career as groundbreaking novelist. I'm hoping to meet someone in publishing who can get my foot in the door, but if you know anyone, just send in your work. Or, hell, even if you don't. Never know what takes. It's always a little easier at the scholastic level because publications aren't as picky re: creative writing, but it's always worth a try.

Are you going to the AWP conference in Chicago? I'll be there for work. It's a good place for networking for writers.

Noooooooo!!!!!! :wink:

Mom loved religious choral music more than anything.

As a side note, some of the Joe Rogan podcasts are awesome. I usually pick and choose which, but when he has guys on who also like fighting, they'll seriously talk about MMA for 2 hours. Do you happen to listen to or watch Ariel Helwani's MMA Hour video podcast? It's usually really good.

Apparently Deadmouse doesn't live too far from me. Maybe I'll pay him a little visit :madwife:

I tried listening to another Rogan podcast today (the one previous) and couldn't do it. He had some asshat on who would just continually quote authors he had read. Like he just really wanted us to know that he read books. It was incredibly annoying. I even fast forwarded 20 minutes and within another couple minutes, he did it again and I had to turn it off. The guy didn't have a single thought of his own. I'll have to find one with decent guests. I like Rogan himself.

I haven't listened to Helwani's stuff, but I like him as an interviewer, so I'll definitely check it out. Another Canadian :rockon: (but I'm embarrassed about deadmouse, so it's really just a wash)

Can someone please tell me that in the second verse of "I Dig Love" by George Harrison, he's not saying "I love dick/I love dick/I love dick/I love dick in the morning/I love a dick every evening"? Please?

I haven't listened to Helwani's stuff, but I like him as an interviewer, so I'll definitely check it out.

He gets awesome guests. For example, he had Rogan, Condit, and Ceasar Gracie (Diaz bros trainer) on Tuesday (among others).

Was Ceasar Gracie as big a dick as he seems like he is?

He was on last week as well. He was a huge douche last week, this week he was trying to play and such considering his fighter just failed a drug test. That guy is so negative, no wonder all his fighters seem to have massive personality issues.

tumblr_l0gq07U2sL1qbzbxso1_500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom