Random Music Talk LII: No Cobbler, No Cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:sigh: Something I'm going to need to keep in mind, then. I love writing and want to make a career out of it, too-kinda interested in journalism, mainly want to write stories and non-fiction books. But it looks like I'll have a long way to go to achieve that.

Hey, if you want to write books, write books. I want to do that too, it's mainly why I'm thinking of teaching; it would be a good front for my career as groundbreaking novelist. I'm hoping to meet someone in publishing who can get my foot in the door, but if you know anyone, just send in your work. Or, hell, even if you don't. Never know what takes. It's always a little easier at the scholastic level because publications aren't as picky re: creative writing, but it's always worth a try.

My 6 year old loves Yellow Submarine, for what it's worth.

I have always loved this song and I always will.

Why are you wearing Beatles clothing if you're NOT a fan?

That sounds awful, but I assume anyone wearing a band shirt must be a pretty big fan of that band.

That is interesting, though. (No, really!) I can understand the hype being offputting (although it makes me sad when someone writes a band/movie/show off completely without exploring it just because of hype).

Read what I said again, I said I never would've worn it before the last 6 months or so until the day I finally realized I was being a shithead and admitted I like them. I just find it harder to admit I like them to other people. (Plus my mom bought me the shirt, and holy shit if you saw it it's adorable) I think I'm afraid if I say I like the Beatles people are going to roll their eyes and assume I know like two songs and am just trying to be cool.

I loved listening to music with my parents, it's the reason why I love Sabbath and Pink Floyd as well as new wave.

Me too, especially with Floyd. When my dad first played Dark Side for me, when I was 13 or 14, I remember him saying that I was soon going to have a new favorite band. He was right, and, fifteen years later, Floyd remains my favorite band. That is impressive, especially considering the sheer amount of music that I have heard in that time-frame.

beatles-umbrella.jpg

I think it's this pic, Travis can confirm.

Why are you wearing Beatles clothing if you're NOT a fan?

That sounds awful, but I assume anyone wearing a band shirt must be a pretty big fan of that band.

One of my mates bought a "trendy" Abbey Road singlet in Thailand. I seriously doubt he'd be able to name more than five songs from their entire catalogue.

There was music constantly in the house I grew up in, different music in every room all the time. Mom and dad both played piano, my mom sang, my dad listened to opera, Bach, Beethoven, Woody Guthrie, Roy Clark and Porter Wagoner (dad loved a good nudie suit), mom listened to more traditional stuff like Andy Williams and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and my sisters and I listened to everything that rock, pop, folk & soul had to offer. So if I didn't fall in love with actual singers and musicians that my parents listened to, I certainly had a good music education and inherited their love for music.

Me too, especially with Floyd. When my dad first played Dark Side for me, when I was 13 or 14, I remember him saying that I was soon going to have a new favorite band. He was right, and, fifteen years later, Floyd remains my favorite band. That is impressive, especially considering the sheer amount of music that I have heard in that time-frame.

Now, with Floyd, I feel like I am more of a fan of The Wall than the band itself, which is a strange thing to say, because I like many other albums by them, but when it comes right down to it, I don't LOVE anything else by them. (that being said, I still own these two shirts because they are fucking badass
pink_floyd_japan_l.jpg

and I can't find a pic of the other one, but it's from the Animals Tour and has the pig on it :drool:
)

I mainly just know Pink Floyd's big songs. And I respect them and like the songs I've heard. But I don't know if they're a band I could sit and listen to for hours on end (and given that I don't do drugs, I don't know if that'd affect any of my listening experiences, either :wink:).

My parents were never Beatles obsessives, buying up every single thing related to them and whatnot, but they definitely like(d) the music itself. My mom actually always talks about how she kinda missed the boat for the teen love the Beatles got, as she was fairly young when they were on TV. So the closest she got to the whole "teen fandom" thing was the Monkees (whom she still likes to this day).

Hey, if you want to write books, write books. I want to do that too, it's mainly why I'm thinking of teaching; it would be a good front for my career as groundbreaking novelist. I'm hoping to meet someone in publishing who can get my foot in the door, but if you know anyone, just send in your work. Or, hell, even if you don't. Never know what takes. It's always a little easier at the scholastic level because publications aren't as picky re: creative writing, but it's always worth a try.

Oh, yeah, there is that, too, definitely. It's just that I know I will need something to fall back on while I work on the whole "writing books" thing, 'cause that's not something that normally happens overnight for many authors, and I do want to go back to school and further pursue more writing-related activities and such. That just reminded me of all the work I'd have to do in that regard.

The connections/publishing thing is what I'm having difficulty with, too. We get local authors here sometimes to do book signings, I do talk to them when possible (annoying as that might be to some of them :p). I just want to make sure it's someone reputable I come across, that's my biggest concern.

But yeah. I'll keep looking around and see what happens.

Meant to say earlier, by the way, HEY, cobl, welcome back :wave:! Missed you around here :hug:!

Sounds like you had a pretty interesting trip. I'm curious to see that photo you alluded to.

I mainly just know Pink Floyd's big songs. And I respect them and like the songs I've heard. But I don't know if they're a band I could sit and listen to for hours on end (and given that I don't do drugs, I don't know if that'd affect any of my listening experiences, either :wink:).

The drug thing is completely a myth. The band members themselves, excepting of course Syd, were never heavy drug users, either.

I also realize that your drug comment was likely sarcastic. :)

The drug thing is completely a myth. The band members themselves, excepting of course Syd, were never heavy drug users, either.

I also realize that your drug comment was likely sarcastic. :)

Heh, I was actually referring more to the listeners instead of the members themselves-I get the feeling their music takes on a whole new meaning for someone who's under the influence while listening to it...but that is an interesting, and rather surprising, tidbit. I don't know whether the idea of them just being naturally strange is worth respecting or worth being a bit concerned about :p.

Yeah. I feel bad for poor Syd. What a tragic way to depart from a band.

I have a feeling we'll hear a few more juicy details from the next drunk late night posting.

That's the one that caught your eye?

He just seemed more of a willing participant in the 'full moon party'

Not to mention the thought of Cobbler getting an Old Fashion from a ladyboy was traumatic enough to warrant no further mention

You brought up Blur earlier LeMel, well, I'm listening to Parklife for the first time in probably over a year and I just would like to throw out some praise for "Badhead." Shit, was a beautiful song. One of my favorites from the band, for sure. How was this not a single?

If that had happened, laz, I wouldn't be posting on this forum anymore. I'd be in a mental asylum. The moment I was grabbed was seriously one of the scariest things of my life.

I missed you, Cobbler. I didn't like the news today from Thailand, so I'm glad you're home.

Thanks, martha! What news?

Oh, I was definitely questioning that bit as well.

The buckets you buy cost like $4 Australian and they contain a 250ml bottle of smirnoff or bundaberg rum, with ice, soft drink and a red bull. I only had one, after five or six beers, and I don't remember a great deal. A mate of mine was either drugged and woke up on the other side of the island, or was that drunk he tried to walk somewhere when we lost each other and passed out.

You brought up Blur earlier LeMel, well, I'm listening to Parklife for the first time in probably over a year and I just would like to throw out some praise for "Badhead." Shit, was a beautiful song. One of my favorites from the band, for sure. How was this not a single?

Possibly my favorite on the album as well. I've got to say End of the Century has grown on me a lot over the years...what a tremendous chorus that song has.

Girls and Boys has gotten kinda old though. As far as Blur album openers go, I think it's my least favorite (yeah, I love She's So High).

Welcome back, cobbs. The only two albums from 2012 that I've heard in full and really enjoyed are the albums by Lana Del Rey and Craig Finn. There are a few being released in the near future that I'm looking forward to, though. The Shins, Sleigh Bells, Jack White, Boss Springsteen, etc.

Possibly my favorite on the album as well. I've got to say End of the Century has grown on me a lot over the years...what a tremendous chorus that song has.

Girls and Boys has gotten kinda old though. As far as Blur album openers go, I think it's my least favorite (yeah, I love She's So High).

Based on that recent p4K article about Albarn's upcoming projects, it sounds like a new Blur album is basically a done deal at some point. Awesome news.

Back
Top Bottom