Random Music Talk CIX: Thank God We Have Limes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I recall, they had only ever played it live on the Permanent Waves tour, which was in 1980.

I've seen a few videos of it because I know I won't get to see them :)sad:), and because that band is physically breaking down, I probably won't ever get the chance. But to see a band with a drummer suffering from severe tendonitis and a guitarist suffering from severe arthritis play THAT song for the first time since they were in their twenties, and for it to sound that good.

So jealous. :p had you seen them before? Any other highlights? Ramble on!

Long post coming, spoilered for your avoidance pleasure:

A bit of a preamble:

Been a fan since, what, 1981? When Moving Pictures came out, all the older kids were all over it, and songs like Tom Sawyer were pretty ubiquitous. I was 10 so it's not like I went out and bought all their prior albums then, but, I knew who the band were and remained a fan. I saw them on tour for the first time when they were supporting Hold Your Fire, this was late 1987 I think. Tommy Shaw opened for them. This was the 2nd concert I ever attended.

Since then, I've bought every album and have seen them in concert about 6, maybe 7 times, but I had not seen them 2002, a pretty long gap. Every time I have tried to see them between 2002 and last night, I got sick or had to go out of town on business, etc, events just conspired to keep me from their shows.

I'm not a fan of any one era of theirs, or any one type of sound. I find their early years kind of endearingly goofy, and can take or leave the whole albums but certainly have songs during that period I love. But, I mean, the point is, I'm not all "their keyboard era sucks ass", etc. Hell, I love albums like Roll the Bones (not the title track, which was played last night) and Hold Your Fire. Every time I see the band I wonder how many other people are thinking "Gosh I hope they play High Water".

So, anyway, there's the long preamble, sorry. Just wanted to establish that I'm a long time fan, they're a top 10 favorite band for me, I know damn well that they are the object of much ridicule for a very long time now and I'm not sure if that ever bothered me, but if it did, it sure hasn't for a long time now. We like what we like.

Last night. Highlights:

I'm a gigantic fan of Xanadu so hearing that again was really awesome for me and the only time that I kind of felt some measure of nostalgia as opposed to just being in the moment. That's not a bad thing, it brought back some pretty strong memories and associated feelings.

Hearing Parts 1, 2, 4 and 7 of 2112 right after Xanadu didn't suck.

Jacob's Ladder, as discussed was pretty great. A big surprise and the crowd seemed pretty rapt. When the song was over the camera zoomed in on Geddy and he had this great look on his face, it looked like 1/4 part relieved but 3/4 like he just blew his own mind.

Closing with two songs from their first album was fun. I'm not a gigantic fan of either tune but they sounded good and you know it means something to the band to be up there playing these songs that are 40 years old. I wonder how Peart feels about playing these songs. He must not mind, I guess.

As far as the simple pleasure of "rocking out" goes, coming back from an intermission and playing Tom Sawyer then Red Barchetta then The Spirit of Radio is a pretty good way to get a bunch of middle aged cats playing air drums and/or guitar. I was probably a little Tom Sawyer'd out by the last time I saw the band but it was welcome last night. Red Barchetta is my favorite of that trio, though. I was into it, let's just say.

Losing It was a nice treat. It was sandwiched between Distant Early Warning and Subdivisions so it slowed down what could have been pretty good momentum into the intermission but it was pretty. I looked at some recent set lists this morning and it looks like Analog Kid is normally in that slot, which, fuck, I really love that song but whatever. Subdivisions is my favorite Rush song, so, that's probably the overall highlight.

The only real lowlight for me was Roll the Bones. I genuinely dislike that song, but, it was at least mitigated by some amusing lip synching on the video screen by Paul Rudd, Jason Segal, Peter Dinklage, etc.

The last thing I'll say is that one of the best things about Rush shows is the crowd. Everyone there is into it. I mean, of course, there are always gonna be a few that got dragged there or were curious or whatever, but for the most part if 17k people are there, 16.5k are big fans. So, there are no dead moments, no songs where there's a mass exodus to the bathroom. It's a fun shared experience, every time. I used to wonder how a band that makes a song like The Spirit of Radio doesn't achieve wider popularity, but, well, selling out arenas for decades seems like a decent amount of popularity….and, it has kept their crowds the way I like it, adoring and passionate. It blows my mind that two of the bands I latched onto earlier in life, U2 and Rush, are still around, still have the same line up (sorry John Rutsey) and still put on great shows.

I was watching the video screen on and off during the show and when they'd zoom in on any of the trio playing their instruments, I thought to myself that I hope to be 1/10th as good at anything in life as they are at playing music when I reach their age.

When I first started getting into Love & Rockets back in the day (somewhere between the release of the videos for "No New Tale To Tell " and "So Alive"), I was less enamored with Express than their other 3 albums.

Not sure what I was thinking; such a strong LP, particularly the longer version that was used for the CD pressing.

What did I learn at Rock Werchter 2015?

Royal Blood are awesome live. I even saw them twice.

Hot Chip is lots of fun. That lead singer is one of those charismatic-by-not-being-charismatic-at-all guys. I loved it.

SBTRKT plays this awesome cover of Weird Fishes live. It made me very happy seeing a guy a few feet (I'm actually using feet here :lol:) away from me singing along at the top of his lungs.

The Chemical Brothers are so boring. I'm not exactly a fan of all those overblown drops in modern dance music but a few of those in a dance gig of 90 minutes wouldn't hurt. They were always building up to what I thought was going to be a climax, only to start mixing in the next track.

Damian Marley plays a few Bob Marley tracks so yay.

I hate all of you guys that don't like Alt-J, so basically everyone here. They were easily the highlight of the festival, just as they were two years ago. The crowd was amazing. The tent of about 15000 people was packed and everyone was going crazy. It was as if they had a bunch of big festival classics, everybody was singing along to the songs off the first record. It's weird and awesome seeing a crowd being so ecstatic at a concert with that kind of music. The songs were faster and punchier of course.

FKA Twigs is cool.

Pharrell is just awful live. The only fun part about his show were the dancers.

An Ocean Between the Waves is one of the best songs of the last five years.

Lenny Kravitz was okay. I really like Fly Away.

Noel Gallagher writes lots of great songs and is such funny guy. Is there a Mexican in the crowd? Some ginger guy raises his hands. A fookin' ginger Mexican? That's like seeing a unicorn on acid! He sure writes bad lyrics for someone whocan be so clever in interviews and such. Don't Look Back In Anger must be the best song to play at a festival.

Mr Jones is such a good song. Duritz, or whatever that guy's is called, reminded me alot of Bono singing One or WOWY however. He was just talking behind the melody.

The Vaccines are actually a good band. I don't know why I've never given any of their albums a listen.

Muse is an awesome live band. Especially when they choose a good setlist. Only one song each off The 2nd Law and The Resistance? One song off Showbiz (Uno which was pretty random) Four and three songs off Absolution and Origin of Symmetry (one of which was Micro Cuts!) respectively? The five best songs off Drones? Yes please. Didn't get New Born which is my favorite song but Citizen Erased nearly made up for it. Bellamy can sure play the guitar.

It's possible to survive four days on hamburgers, french fries and canned noodles with on average three hours of sleep a night.

Festivals are the best. Those days are usually my favorite of my year.

Life is good.

I'd be down.

My last trip in, I didn't do shit but work, it was pretty hectic.

I'll be in for a few days in August, but that will be brief and pretty packed work-wise. However, I'll probably be out for a week in October, that might be a good time to get something organized going.

I can't believe we haven't met, but then again, maybe you're avoiding me... And the birds.

I'm not planning on going anywhere, so I'm definitely down.

Long post coming, spoilered for your avoidance pleasure:

A bit of a preamble:

Been a fan since, what, 1981? When Moving Pictures came out, all the older kids were all over it, and songs like Tom Sawyer were pretty ubiquitous. I was 10 so it's not like I went out and bought all their prior albums then, but, I knew who the band were and remained a fan. I saw them on tour for the first time when they were supporting Hold Your Fire, this was late 1987 I think. Tommy Shaw opened for them. This was the 2nd concert I ever attended.

Since then, I've bought every album and have seen them in concert about 6, maybe 7 times, but I had not seen them 2002, a pretty long gap. Every time I have tried to see them between 2002 and last night, I got sick or had to go out of town on business, etc, events just conspired to keep me from their shows.

I'm not a fan of any one era of theirs, or any one type of sound. I find their early years kind of endearingly goofy, and can take or leave the whole albums but certainly have songs during that period I love. But, I mean, the point is, I'm not all "their keyboard era sucks ass", etc. Hell, I love albums like Roll the Bones (not the title track, which was played last night) and Hold Your Fire. Every time I see the band I wonder how many other people are thinking "Gosh I hope they play High Water".

So, anyway, there's the long preamble, sorry. Just wanted to establish that I'm a long time fan, they're a top 10 favorite band for me, I know damn well that they are the object of much ridicule for a very long time now and I'm not sure if that ever bothered me, but if it did, it sure hasn't for a long time now. We like what we like.

Last night. Highlights:

I'm a gigantic fan of Xanadu so hearing that again was really awesome for me and the only time that I kind of felt some measure of nostalgia as opposed to just being in the moment. That's not a bad thing, it brought back some pretty strong memories and associated feelings.

Hearing Parts 1, 2, 4 and 7 of 2112 right after Xanadu didn't suck.

Jacob's Ladder, as discussed was pretty great. A big surprise and the crowd seemed pretty rapt. When the song was over the camera zoomed in on Geddy and he had this great look on his face, it looked like 1/4 part relieved but 3/4 like he just blew his own mind.

Closing with two songs from their first album was fun. I'm not a gigantic fan of either tune but they sounded good and you know it means something to the band to be up there playing these songs that are 40 years old. I wonder how Peart feels about playing these songs. He must not mind, I guess.

As far as the simple pleasure of "rocking out" goes, coming back from an intermission and playing Tom Sawyer then Red Barchetta then The Spirit of Radio is a pretty good way to get a bunch of middle aged cats playing air drums and/or guitar. I was probably a little Tom Sawyer'd out by the last time I saw the band but it was welcome last night. Red Barchetta is my favorite of that trio, though. I was into it, let's just say.

Losing It was a nice treat. It was sandwiched between Distant Early Warning and Subdivisions so it slowed down what could have been pretty good momentum into the intermission but it was pretty. I looked at some recent set lists this morning and it looks like Analog Kid is normally in that slot, which, fuck, I really love that song but whatever. Subdivisions is my favorite Rush song, so, that's probably the overall highlight.

The only real lowlight for me was Roll the Bones. I genuinely dislike that song, but, it was at least mitigated by some amusing lip synching on the video screen by Paul Rudd, Jason Segal, Peter Dinklage, etc.

The last thing I'll say is that one of the best things about Rush shows is the crowd. Everyone there is into it. I mean, of course, there are always gonna be a few that got dragged there or were curious or whatever, but for the most part if 17k people are there, 16.5k are big fans. So, there are no dead moments, no songs where there's a mass exodus to the bathroom. It's a fun shared experience, every time. I used to wonder how a band that makes a song like The Spirit of Radio doesn't achieve wider popularity, but, well, selling out arenas for decades seems like a decent amount of popularity….and, it has kept their crowds the way I like it, adoring and passionate. It blows my mind that two of the bands I latched onto earlier in life, U2 and Rush, are still around, still have the same line up (sorry John Rutsey) and still put on great shows.

I was watching the video screen on and off during the show and when they'd zoom in on any of the trio playing their instruments, I thought to myself that I hope to be 1/10th as good at anything in life as they are at playing music when I reach their age.

This is fantastic, I honestly had no idea you were a fan. I wish I knew more of their stuff, to be honest. They've just slipped under the cracks for me. I enjoy, with just a slight bit of irony, nearly everything I've ever heard by them. Thank you for sharing.

When I first started getting into Love & Rockets back in the day (somewhere between the release of the videos for "No New Tale To Tell " and "So Alive"), I was less enamored with Express than their other 3 albums.

Not sure what I was thinking; such a strong LP, particularly the longer version that was used for the CD pressing.

I only ever listened to one album, so you're saying it's worth delving deeper?

I've wanted to see TV on the Radio for years, missing them for random reasons every time they have come through Chicago. Turns out they are doing a Lollapalooza aftershow that I was able to get a ticket for, at one of my favorite venues as well.

I can't believe we haven't met, but then again, maybe you're avoiding me... And the birds.

I'm not planning on going anywhere, so I'm definitely down.

This is fantastic, I honestly had no idea you were a fan. I wish I knew more of their stuff, to be honest. They've just slipped under the cracks for me. I enjoy, with just a slight bit of irony, nearly everything I've ever heard by them. Thank you for sharing.

My trips to LA are great and all but they're usually so fucking busy work-wise. I wind up working weekends out there, too, which makes seeing people that much harder. I have close friends I have not seen once since moving back to NYC, it sucks. I know you're kidding but I'm not avoiding you. The birds, maybe.

So, ok, let's try for October……you, your husband, Laz, Martha if she's not busy grading papers or whatever, anyone else that might give a fuck, etc…..

I don't talk about Rush on here very much because it usually goes the same way each time. I know there are a few other fans on here who are not bat-shit insane about it, like Phanan, but by and large I already know how the conversation will go. You know, I don't even know if there is a dedicated thread for them.

Also, this site is a great place for me to find out about and talk about bands that your average person is not familiar with/wouldn't like, but as it turns out, I know a lot of Rush fans off the site so if I feel a need to talk about the band I have real life options. They're far from perfect, a lot of the criticism levied at them is legit but what band is perfect? The things they do well they do very well and whatever's lacking I can get from any number of other bands.

I meant because of how long we've "known" each other and because of how long you lived in Chicago as well. I know you're not avoiding and I really was just giving you shit... But not about the birds. Never about that.

October it is, for now. Hopefully it works out :)

Everytime a Rush thread starts, it gets derailed, but if I get a chance to listen to something of theirs today, I'll start a new one and post my thoughts there. God help anyone who fucks with my thread.

I only ever listened to one album, so you're saying it's worth delving deeper?

Which one have you heard? The first four are all great, and the following three all have enough good tracks to be worth listening to at some point.

Not only did L&R make a clean break from the Bauhaus sound, but they kept exploring in different directions in their new incarnation. Each album seems to be a left-turn reaction to the previous one. Earth, Sun, Moon has a more acoustic, folkier feel (and is my favorite of theirs), and they started working with more dance-oriented sounds on album #5 Hot Trip To Heaven.

Totally fine to start with the first one, Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven, and if you're not familiar with it I'd listen to Bauhaus' last album before Peter Murphy's departure (Burning From The Inside) beforehand just to see what the group was coming off of.

The current lineup of Journey is playing here on Fourth of July.

I will not be going

well haven't most of the crazies been banned at this point?

It gets turned into a joke thread more often than not. Similar if I were to try to start a sincere thread about how much I love The Darkness (despite the fact that their new album is shiiiitttt :()
Will you rename yourself bono_2112 ?

We shall see! At this point, listening to the album may be delayed as long as me watching Celine and Julie Go Boating. My work computer hates me today.
Which one have you heard? The first four are all great, and the following three all have enough good tracks to be worth listening to at some point.

Not only did L&R make a clean break from the Bauhaus sound, but they kept exploring in different directions in their new incarnation. Each album seems to be a left-turn reaction to the previous one. Earth, Sun, Moon has a more acoustic, folkier feel (and is my favorite of theirs), and they started working with more dance-oriented sounds on album #5 Hot Trip To Heaven.

Totally fine to start with the first one, Seventh Dream of Teenage Heaven, and if you're not familiar with it I'd listen to Bauhaus' last album before Peter Murphy's departure (Burning From The Inside) beforehand just to see what the group was coming off of.

I believe I've only heart Earth, Sun, Moon. I liked it pretty well and I've only got more into that sound since then. I'll start at the beginning, in that case.

I've never listened to Bauhaus, another I've always meant to.

Funny story, I used to go around saying that "So Alive" was my favorite INXS song totally serious. I had no idea until embarrassingly recently :lol:.

Will you rename yourself bono_2112 ?

Some days I wish this forum had upvote and downvote buttons, because this post deserves a hearty upvote.

thumbsupcomputerkid.gif

I think they're playing at the Glass House at some point soon.

I thought you meant Rush until I looked at their calendar :lol:. I hate The Darkness' new album. It's really bad. I don't know if I'd go, BUT thanks to you, I now know Jesus and Mary Chain are coming to town, and I'd be really happy to hear they're playing closer than Pomona, but I won't get my hopes up

Back
Top Bottom