NFL Thread Part Three, Take Two - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2006, 02:16 PM   #346
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:55 AM
oh im not really blaming the refs, i was just saying i thought that was interesting. i don't blame them at all , that's a very difficult call to make no matter what. but if they are going to call polamalu's intereception not an interception...

my point was moreso that it could have gone down as one of the best plays in NFL history much like albert pujols' game 5 homer off of lidge and that two out rally in game 5 of the nlcs...if the cardinals went on to win that series. which they didn't. and that call wasn't overturned, and the patriots didn't win- so it isn't.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:28 PM   #347
Refugee

Local Time: 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
my point was moreso that it could have gone down as one of the best plays in NFL history
Which brings up another point. How is it that "one of the best plays in NFL history" occurs when Tom Brady throws a terrible pass that is intercepted, and the only reason it wasn't a touchdown was because Champ Bailey (foolishly) slowed down? Would it be one of the greatest plays in history if it was called correctly and the Broncos had still gone on to win?

I just don't get the logic here. Tom Brady screws up. Champ Bailey screws up. Just because one guy hustles (as he should) doesn't make it one of the best plays.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #348
Rock n' Roll Doggie

People love hustle and seeing people doing stupid things...think Leon Lett. It would've definitely been remembered but to call one of the best plays in NFL history may be a stretch.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:32 PM   #349
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
People love hustle and seeing people doing stupid things...think Leon Lett. It would've definitely been remembered but to call one of the best plays in NFL history may be a stretch.
Exactly. People hustle all the time. People do stupid things all the time. Not exactly historical.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #350
Refugee

This was my personal favorite response, courtesy of the Sports Guy:

Quote:
swear, I'm not blaming the officiating for the Pats' loss. Really, I'm not. I know it seems that way ... I just can't handle it when my favorite team gets screwed over by bad calls. For my sake, let's look at the Bailey fumble logically, and only because I slow-mo'ed it on TiVo 345,323 times this weekend before ultimately bludgeoning myself with the remote.

A. There's Champ running full-speed down the left sideline with ball in his right hand, with young Ben Watson heroically running full-speed toward him at a 55-degree angle.

B. Watson nails Champ at the 2-yard line, but because Champ has so much forward momentum going, he doesn't really start to fumble until he's one-and-a-half yards from the goal line. Also, the direction of Watson's hit pushes Champ toward the sideline.

C. Again, he's carrying the ball in his right hand -- the same side where Watson popped him. Watson's momentum pushes the arm forward before he fumbles, so his hand probably released the ball one yard from the goal line.

E. Here's the best way to describe the direction of the ball after it comes out: If Champ fumbled in a direction of a clock, the ball would have gone toward 10:30 on the clock.

My first point: Given Bailey's position on the field, his momentum from running full-speed, how close he was to the goal line, and where the ball eventually landed, it would have been logistically impossible for the football to go out of bounds before it crossed the goal line. There is no possible way. It's impossible. The football would have had to have taken a hard-left (almost a 90-degree angle), then a hard-right (to end up where it ended up). Almost like the magic bullet embedding itself into Gov. John Connelly's back.

My second point: With all of the technology we have, isn't there an ironclad way to prove this once and for all? If that was ruled a touchback, the Pats would have been down only 10-6. With an entire quarter to play. Starting another drive from their own 20. I find this to be significant. Not as significant as Jason Priestley making his TV comeback in a show called "Love Monkey," then spending the entire show deadpanning lines with his head tilted upwards like George Plimpton ... but significant nonetheless.

My third point: As Las Vegas reader Kyle tells us, "I was at the Pats-Broncos game, sitting in Section 111, Row 7. That Bailey interception return came right at me. Let me tell you, that was a freaking touchback. But, there wasn't a ref or cameraman within 20 yards of the play. Even the Broncos fans knew it was a touchback and were screaming for Shanahan to get the play off. Also, Ben Watson levelled Champ. Champ was on the ground for the entire review time."

My fourth point: I really, really need to let this go.
Riiiiiiiight. Because, as we all know, it's a prerequisite for any NFL official to have a degree in physics. And it's protocal to use said degree when making a call in every NFL game.

Simmons, you're right. You really, really need to let this go.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #351
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by stammer476

Ah, let him rant. After all, in a couple days one of Isiah Thomas's cronies is going to be depositing him in the East River.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:44 PM   #352
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
Ah, let him rant. After all, in a couple days one of Isiah Thomas's cronies is going to be depositing him in the East River.
Actually, Isaiah would hire Al Pacino, based on his work in the Godfather, to knock him off for the price of $25 Million. Of course, Isaiah is oblivous to the fact Pacino is now 65 years old and never was a mob boss / hitman in real life.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #353
Blue Crack Distributor

i enjoy the sports guy when he's making jokes.

when he's attempting to make serious commentarys on sports, i move on to something else.

do i think the ball was a touchback? yes... was there enough evidence to overturn it? no.

i crack jokes about how paul tagliabeu was on the horn with the ref durring that interception overturn... but not for a second do i actually believe it.

as for the pats/rams, the pats had a sizeable lead heading into the 4th quarter. did the refs cause the three ram turnovers? were the refs rigging the game when they called a holding penalty on willie mcginist, negating a fumble recovery that was returned for a touchdown that would have made the game 24-3 in the 4th quarter? please...

and oh yea, i bet on the rams
Old 01-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #354
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Which brings up another point. How is it that "one of the best plays in NFL history" occurs when Tom Brady throws a terrible pass that is intercepted, and the only reason it wasn't a touchdown was because Champ Bailey (foolishly) slowed down? Would it be one of the greatest plays in history if it was called correctly and the Broncos had still gone on to win?

I just don't get the logic here. Tom Brady screws up. Champ Bailey screws up. Just because one guy hustles (as he should) doesn't make it one of the best plays.
From what I heard of Bailey's comment, he wasn't slowing down on purpose. He simply ran out of gas. So if Watson is able to run him down because he's got more speed and can sustain it longer, and had forced a touchback, it would have been an incredible play from that standpoint.

Brady is the only one who screwed up here.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #355
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i enjoy the sports guy when he's making jokes.

when he's attempting to make serious commentarys on sports, i move on to something else.
The problem with the Sports Guy in a nutshell. He needs to spend more time hanging out with other analysts at ESPN and sharpen his skills.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #356
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
This was my personal favorite response, courtesy of the Sports Guy:

Riiiiiiiight. Because, as we all know, it's a prerequisite for any NFL official to have a degree in physics. And it's protocal to use said degree when making a call in every NFL game.

I thought the article was interesting and humorous.

Where's the physics talk, by the way? I don't see it.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #357
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
From what I heard of Bailey's comment, he wasn't slowing down on purpose. He simply ran out of gas.
Are you serious? A world class athlete should never, ever, ever, ever run out of gas from running 100 yards. Let me know the next time you watch a track meet and the sprinters look gassed after the first 100 meters.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:00 PM   #358
Blue Crack Addict

dp
Old 01-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #359
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

I thought the article was interesting and humorous.

Where's the physics talk, by the way? I don't see it.
Quote:
running full-speed down the left sideline
Quote:
running full-speed toward him at a 55-degree angle
Quote:
Champ has so much forward momentum going
Quote:
Given Bailey's position on the field, his momentum from running full-speed, how close he was to the goal line, and where the ball eventually landed, it would have been logistically impossible for the football to go out of bounds before it crossed the goal line. There is no possible way. It's impossible. The football would have had to have taken a hard-left (almost a 90-degree angle), then a hard-right (to end up where it ended up).
Call me crazy, but I just can't see the ref explaining, "While the video reply does not give us evidence, we've contacted Dr. Keeman Lonschilde, professor of Phsyics at MIT, and he has concluded that the ball did in fact go out of bounds inside the goal line. Therefore, New England will receive the ball on the 20."
Old 01-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #360
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Sprinting 100 yards in full equipment after playing one half of football at a mile above sea level is pretty tiring. These guys are built to be football players, not sprinters.

And phanan is right -- we shouldn't take Bill Simmons so seriously. I think we can all agree that we don't want him studying to be a NFL analyst under Sean Salisbury.