New Tori Amos record - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2005, 11:34 PM   #286
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:31 AM
Update: Tori is set to appear with the Prague Symphany Orchestra at the Montreux Jazzfestival, summer of 2006.

Tori with strings I am so there.

Old 11-20-2005, 12:31 AM   #287
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:31 PM
Gee, I spent a good 10 minutes looking for this thread. It's sunk too low, man. I'm addicted to this latest album. My opinion is that the music sounds "sweeter" than her previous work. It sounds like the sweet early b-sides. Although I miss the quirky piano hooks (like Father Lucifer, for eg), I'm appreciating the guitar weaves in Beekeeper more, and am liking her jamming at the end of Barons of Suburbia. I'm liking everything, actually.

foray

Old 12-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #288
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:31 AM
Just rented this album from the local public library.. and then promptly burned a copy for myself. I love it!!! The last album of hers I'd listened to was Under The Pink.

Anyway, I still haven't dug deep into this epic of an album.. 19 tracks, almost 80 mins But on first listen, I absolutely love Parasol, Sweet The Sting, Orange Knickers, Jamaica Inn, Barons of Suburbia and General Joy!
Old 12-26-2005, 09:04 PM   #289
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:31 AM
^Glad you guys are enjoying The Beekeeper

I'm getting so antsy over her next album. I hope there's a harpsicord comeback
Old 01-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #290
Blue Crack Supplier

I can't get enough of Orange Knickers!!!

... the song, that is.

Shame shame time to leave me now
Shame shame you've had your fun
Shame shame for letting me think that I would be the one
Can somebody tell me now who is this terrorist
this little pill in my hand or this secret kiss
am I alone in this kiss

Old 01-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #291
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:31 AM

I'm not crazy about it myself but a lot of people seem to feel the way you do.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:36 AM   #292
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:31 PM
Question to you guys: What is your personal take on the lyrics of Martha's Foolish Ginger? It's currently my favourite, and although I get that it is the name of a ship, I'm still wondering about the chorus if those harbour lights had just been half-a-mile inland/who knows what I would have done. Not that it matters a whole lot to me - the song is great musically. The drums are reminiscent of Josephine.

foray
Old 06-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #293
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
And I kinda miss the turbulence and sense of melodrama I loved about her earlier stuff; here it's more muted and the quirkiness more ironed out.
Yeah, that's true! And I didn't really realize it until you mentioned it. There is nothing here along the lines of Waitress or the Pretty Good Year bridge But I do really really enjoy listening to The Beekeeper.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:55 PM   #294
Blue Crack Supplier

Forgot to add...

Tracks I can't get enough of:

Parasol
...Orange Knickers
Jamaica Inn
Barons Of Suburbia
Sleeps With Butterflies
General Joy
Cars and Guitars
Ireland
The Beekeeper
Martha's Foolish Ginger
Goodbye Pisces
Mars Of The Sea
Toast

I do like the rest, just not as much as these above. I can't understand why some of you say you don't like Cars & Guitars! It's such fun... I love the way she sings this song and that intro!

Yes, it's been what, a year and 4 months and I still can't get enough of this album.

Of course I discovered it only in like December or something I think. My original post is actually on this very same page!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #295
Blue Crack Addict

Did you get Scarlet's Walk yet? If you love The Beekeeper I predict you will really love Scarlet's Walk. I can't say that the reverse is always true, though. The Beekeeper is probably my least favorite and least listened to Tori record. But I say that as someone who loves just about everything she's ever done so that doesn't mean I dislike The Beekeeper. It has a similar vibe as Scarlet's Walk but for me SW is stunning in the way it flows, and it's lush and gorgeous. It's also a near perfect listen beginning to end. I don't skip anything. I agree with what HeartlandGirl said in the SW thread--that it's one of her masterpieces, the other being Boys for Pele, imo. That I came to feel that way really surprised me because it didn't strike me that way in the beginning. But over time, I came to appreciate it more and more and I still reach for it all the time. It's like comfort music.

The Beekeeper sounds more like a fine collection of B-sides to my ear, with a few exceptions, and I will also add that I loved those songs live more than I do on the record. Saying they sound like B-sides is by no means an insult either because she has more great B-sides than just about anyone I can think of. But for me there aren't as many standout songs as on SW.

In any case, like with any artist, every fan has their favorites and I support you in any way that you enjoy Tori. I'm glad you are loving The Beekeeper. It has inspired me to put it on. It's possible I have not yet begun to even hear it, you know? Her music is like that sometimes.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #296
Blue Crack Supplier

I ordered Scarlet's Walk online today! Just 8 bucks including S&H. Words cannot express how badly I want to listen to it once it arrives in the mail.

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
It's possible I have not yet begun to even hear it, you know? Her music is like that sometimes.
Yes. The first time I listened to The Beekeeper was in December of last year and I fell in love with tracks 1 thru 7 almost instantly! Well maybe not Sweet The Sting but soon enough that one too. The album is so long that I didn't quite get into the songs beyond that point, even though I did listen to them a couple of times. Picked it up again a few days back and realized how many songs I loved listening to here! Cars & Guitars and Ireland immediately stood out. And then Marys Of The Sea and Toast. Then it was Martha's Foolish Ginger & Goodbye Pisces. Now I can't get enough if it. I feel like I've rediscovered this album really late! And I wish I could have seen her on her last tour. Oh well, next time I'll be waiting for my ticketmaster alert!
Old 06-08-2006, 01:30 AM   #297
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

*feels like I need to listen to Beekeeper again after reading all this*
Old 06-08-2006, 01:40 AM   #298
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by HeartlandGirl
*feels like I need to listen to Beekeeper again after reading all this*
Mission Accomplished.