National Hockey League 2012-13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peef, what is Frank Seravalli's reputation in Philly like? He, of course, wrote a piece over the weekend citing unnamed sources that Ed Snider, in his capacity at Comcast (NBC Sports Network), is moving away from his hawkish stance in this dispute and pushing for a resolution behind the scenes.

That could have been a reason why after two weeks of almost no talks, and seemingly out of the blue, there was a flurry of activity over a nine-day period about 10 days ago.

Gary Bettman, in his infinite wisdom, called the piece a "complete fabrication" which is, of course, different from saying it's wrong.

NHL Apocalypse Watch: Its Rider Was Named Death, and Hades Was Following Close Behind Him (Hi, Gary!) - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

For all the sound and fury, it seems clear the question of who will come out ahead in this deal has been settled: almost all of the meaningful movement to this point has come from the players' side. They agreed to a 50/50 revenue split, down from the 57% they already receive. They budged on contract term limits and the length of the CBA (though not far enough to satisfy the NHL; those issues are two of the remaining sticking points.) They submitted, implicitly, to the idea that teams may not wind up paying in full all the contracts that their front offices offered and inked -- some of them just weeks before the expiration of the last CBA.

By comparison, the NHL hasn't yielded much of anything. Some of the items the league considers itself to have compromised on — arbitration rights and the parameters surrounding free agency, for example — are merely remaining unchanged from the last (already owner-friendly) CBA. Others aren't exactly generous: One of the league's biggest concessions to date has been its willingness to create a "make whole" fund that would help ease the transition down to a 50/50 revenue split from 57/43 — meaning the NHL has grudgingly agreed to pay some, though likely not all, of the salaries it contractually owes.

Disinterest/Decertification/whatever.

Maybe we'll see a 50-game season.

Maybe we wont see hockey till 2014.

Who knows.

This season is probably down the toilet, but the 2013-14 season looks possible. I don't think the league could survive a year and a half of no hockey.

Andy Scott ‏@Andy_Scott15
A few trusty sources saying NHLPA - NHL deal will be announced tomorrow..... #FinalStretch #AboutTime

But then again Alan Walsh said there was a huge setback so who knows what to believe.

Well just understanding Fehr, he's a fucking pest who will keep on asking for a little more at the last minute. So... don't expect this to end any other day than the last day or two before that deadline, for better or for worse.

Team USA defeats Team Sweden for gold at the Juniors!

Rocco Grimaldi scores 2 and Vincent Trochek scores the third in a 3-1 victory.

Huberdeau shines and appears NHL ready in the tournament.

Grimaldi looked phenomenal despite being severely undersized and missing a full season last year at such a young age.

All Panther prospects, bright future in our books!

Tentative deal reached between the NHL and the NHLPA, looks like hockey is back everyone!

(but let's not assume until they've got the schedule set)

Sounds like after meeting each other half way a million times and budging in both directions the final give-in was on the NHL's end. Cap to $64.3 mil.

Yay. I don't really see the sense in starting up a season at this point, but whatever. I'm glad for NHL hockey to be back again, even though this whole lockout has pissed me off to no end.

Yay. I don't really see the sense in starting up a season at this point, but whatever. I'm glad for NHL hockey to be back again, even though this whole lockout has pissed me off to no end.

It'll sure help all the franchise and stadium and tv employees earn a paycheck.

It'll sure help all the franchise and stadium and tv employees earn a paycheck.

Yes, plus all of the restaurant and bar employees in NHL cities.

Yes, I'm absolutely happy for those people and businesses who have been affected by the lockout. They didn't deserve that to happen, so I'm glad they'll be getting work and business again.

I meant it more personally. I'm just disillusioned and frustrated.

I don't blame you on that one, Thora, a lot of people are. Usually, though, after a few games, most fans come back into the fold...love of the sport overrides other considerations...sadly.

Back
Top Bottom