National Hockey League 2012-13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All games cancelled through November 1st.

Somebody please think of the children.

This is really meaningless because, as we all know, the NHL said in order to have an 82-game season, Nov. 2 is the last possible date when games can start. It would actually be newsworthy if they cancelled games through Nov. 15 or beyond.

Again, not sure why people expected the players to accept the owners' first offer in weeks, simply because they see that the NHL "conceded" to a 50-50 split. Negotiations don't work that way.

I still think this gets done by the end of this week, but it'll go down to the wire.

End of the week? Did you hear the latest negotiation tactic by the owners?

Scummy reaction. They've ignored counter proposals. Other than the owners' proposal, there's been very little negotiation or willingness to negotiate. I'll be damned if we have hockey in November, let alone December at this point.

Everyone's a greedy dickhead in this. It boils down to the simple refusal to negotiate. The only tactic being applied in this is the 'wait it out' one. The worst one. The one that makes the fans mad.

You're so witty and smart!

The NHLPA were the ones who had the ability to end this thing, and instead they stood with their demands. You're pro-player, I get it. You like the players, you feel like you have some reason to be on their side. Like they're your friend or something. Yay unions! Yay fight the machine!

I'm not pro-player, or pro-owner, I'm just not letting emotions dictate how I'm looking at this. The NHL's proposal this week was so transparent in its intent, I can't believe others didn't see it.

There's plenty blame on both sides, but I also don't feel that the players should have just accepted the first offer that was put on the table in weeks, simply because the owners "conceded" to a 50-50 split of revenue. Negotiations are give and take, and after the players took 36 hours to review the NHL offer and come back with a response, it took the owners minutes to shoot down the three NHLPA counter-proposals.

The players are concerned that existing contracts won't be honoured, and they have legitimate reasons to feel that way. Look at the epidemic of 6-year and plus contracts this summer, when it was widely speculated that owners would ask for 5-year maximum terms. Guess what, they did. Whether or not that's the case, the optics say that the owners negotiated in bad faith.

Let's be honest,here.The players also knew that the CBA was going to expire on september 15.They knew that by the owners first offer on july 13th,that there would have been a cut (or rollback) and that lenght of contracts was going to be to 5 years max.But you know what? the agents negociated those deals and players sign to 6 years + contracts even after the first proposal was present.Pretty hypocrite on the players parts to cry and demand respect of those contracts.

A second of all,players like Ovi and co who have flew overseas to play in Europe saying "I'm not gonna play for less for what i sign for" well guess what? they are playing for less in Europe right now of what they have sign with their NHL teams.

And again,if the richest league in North america (the NFL) don't give 50% to his players,there's no way in hell the poorest league of the major 4 is going to???.

And a "Small" detail,it was Goodenow,who offered that 24% roll back to the owners in the last CBA.

LUNEDEMINUIT said:
Let's be honest,here.The players also knew that the CBA was going to expire on september 15.They knew that by the owners first offer on july 13th,that there would have been a cut (or rollback) and that lenght of contracts was going to be to 5 years max.But you know what? the agents negociated those deals and players sign to 6 years + contracts even after the first proposal was present.Pretty hypocrite on the players parts to cry and demand respect of those contracts.

A second of all,players like Ovi and co who have flew overseas to play in Europe saying "I'm not gonna play for less for what i sign for" well guess what? they are playing for less in Europe right now of what they have sign with their NHL teams.

And again,if the richest league in North america (the NFL) don't give 50% to his players,there's no way in hell the poorest league of the major 4 is going to???.

And a "Small" detail,it was Goodenow,who offered that 24% roll back to the owners in the last CBA.

You cannot compare the NFL's split to the NHL's. We've been over this.

You cannot compare the NFL's split to the NHL's. We've been over this.

Fehr has stated that Bettman has brought up that fact at the negociation table...and the NBA figures as well.The owners will hammer that figure everytime they'll meet,like it or not,fair or not.

Brooklyn has even more Rangers fans than Long Island....for those who are hockey fands in that erea.2 more home dates for the blue shirts.

And yeah,it ain't gonna work,because they still have Charles Wang has the owner

Brooklyn has even more Rangers fans than Long Island....for those who are hockey fands in that erea.2 more home dates for the blue shirts.

I think that's probably a good thing. Even though home wont be inviting for the team, it'll still be inviting for the ticket sales.

Wang actually gives a shit about the Islanders. He tried many times to keep them on the Island, but couldn't get it done. The Isles have a 25 year lease at Barclays Center which starts in 2015. By that time, they could have a pretty good team in place.

Wang actually gives a shit about the Islanders. He tried many times to keep them on the Island, but couldn't get it done. The Isles have a 25 year lease at Barclays Center which starts in 2015. By that time, they could have a pretty good team in place.

I've got 4 words for you when it comes to Charles Wang:

Rick Dipietro /Alexei Yashin

Say what you want but my favorite Snow/Wang combination had to be drafting Calvin De Haan at #12.

Nothing screams stupidity like trading away like 4 picks in order to move up to the #12 spot to take a guy that was a late 1st/early 2nd round projection!

Say what you want but my favorite Snow/Wang combination had to be drafting Calvin De Haan at #12.

Nothing screams stupidity like trading away like 4 picks in order to move up to the #12 spot to take a guy that was a late 1st/early 2nd round projection!
De Haan is the NHL's Brandon Graham?

Yashin and DiPietro have nothing to do with poor performance...

You just don't give generational contracts to talent that's not generational.

Not to mention, in the case of Yashin, the Islanders gave up Zdeno Chara and (virtually) Jason Spezza to acquire him. Yashin is far more than just a lengthy contract.

De Haan is the NHL's Brandon Graham?

I guess the same concept, although nothing gets much worse than Calvin De Haan in terms of a bimbo move.

Calvin De Haan's official ranking going into the 2009 NHL Draft by the NHL Central Scouting was 25th.

The Islanders had the 26th pick, so as a super overreaction by Garth Snow, the Islanders traded away #26 (1st), #37 (2nd), #62 (3rd), #77 (3rd), #92 (4th), and #182 (7th) just to move up to #12.

That is to say... in the year that the New York Islanders had the #1 overall selection in the NHL Entry Draft and needed a serious rebuild and could've stockpiled tons of talent for their prospect pool, they traded away over half of their picks... to draft a guy who was prospected 1 draft position ahead of theirs.

They really wanted Calvin De Haan you see... for his average physical frame for a defender, his tendency for injury at a young age, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm just exaggerating the flaws of such a foolish move. De Haan is good talent, but why the Islanders would throw away such a good draft year for them in order to make a lateral move at best... blows my mind. There was nothing special about De Haan, and he wasn't going to be drafted any earlier than 20th. Especially when you look who the Islanders could've gotten at #12...

Zach Kassian
Dimitri Kulikov
Peter Holland
Nick Leddy
David Runblad
Tim Erixon
Jordan Schroeder
Marcus Johansson
Kyle Palmieri

Now I'm not to say that these guys will all be better than De Haan, but considering De Haan might've been had at 26 anyways, the fact that you could've had any one of those studs of players without chucking half of your draft picks away, or maybe even have had De Haan without chucking half of your draft picks away... seriously one of the worst draft-related moves I have ever seen.

The more i think of it,the more i have the impression that the players thinks the owners will never have the balls to cancel another season.That is why the league will most likelly the shot down the winter classic at the end of the week.Basically,the message Bettman wants to send with that goes a little like this:

"Guys!,we ain't bluffing.We want a 50-50 split at the beginning of the new CBA,not just gradually during the length of the term"

Any hope for the season start in December? I was looking forward to see Jagr play in Dallas. It was nice to see Jamie Benn play in Hamburg though.

Back
Top Bottom