MLB Hot Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Intriguing deal, but I don't think Baltimore will do the three-way unless they're really in rebuilding mode. Given that they just signed Ramon Hernandez to a sizable contract, I don't think they are. It'd have to be Tejada for Manny straight-up.

And with the way the offseason is going for the Red Sox, I wouldn't be surprised if Nomar ended up as the new Sox 1B, 3B or LF.

Last edited:
pub crawler said:
Miguel Tejada wants out of Baltimore. Hmmmm... Cabrera for Miggy. :wink:
Sure, thats an equitable trade, the O's will jump all over it. Then the Rally Monkeys can trade Ervin Santana to the Mets for Pedro Martinez, and follow that up with Adam Kennedy to the Yankees for Alex Rodriguez.

As for Nomar, the O's have made a 1 year, $4million offer to him, which could pave the way for a Tejada trade if the O's think Nomie could still handle SS, though I suspect they're looking at him for 3B.

Lets see Nomar...1 year, $8Mil last year with the Cubs, best(only) offer so far for 2006 1 year, $4Mil...I guess the Red Sox offer in spring training 2004 of a 4 year, $60Million extension was in fact "insulting and below market value", eh.

Wow, you know you must suck when you get ripped in an obituary:

Ray King ripped in fan obituary

Mrs. Eckert was a member of Zion United Church of Christ, Millstadt, Ill., Zion Women's Fellowship, VFW Post 7980 Ladies Auxiliary, Millstadt, Ill., an avid Wednesday night bingo player at VFW, when she was younger and playing softball she led the league in batting, she made several quilts, enjoyed cooking and baking and she was a big Cardinals fan, she was glad to see Ray King traded.

JUST SAY NOMAR
By GEORGE KING

December 13, 2005 -- Three years ago the odds of Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and Nomar Garciaparra together in the Yankees' infield were as long as a Beatles reunion.

Today, it's moving toward even money. That's because the Yankees are considering signing the 32-year-old Garciaparra to play first base.

While GM Brian Cashman and agent Arn Tellem refused to confirm or deny an offer has been made by the Yankees to Garciaparra, several industry sources indicated an offer has been made.

The World Champion Chicago White Sox have traded for Javier Vazquez, adding pitching power to a starting rotation that included four pitchers with double-digit wins last season.

The Arizona Diamondbacks will send Vazquez to the White Sox, ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick confirmed Wednesday.

In exchange, Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez, reliever Luis Vizcaino and outfield prospect Chris Young will be sent to Arizona.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
The World Champion Chicago White Sox have traded for Javier Vazquez, adding pitching power to a starting rotation that included four pitchers with double-digit wins last season.

The Arizona Diamondbacks will send Vazquez to the White Sox, ESPN.com Insider Jerry Crasnick confirmed Wednesday.

In exchange, Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez, reliever Luis Vizcaino and outfield prospect Chris Young will be sent to Arizona.

I'm not quite sure what to think of this trade yet. This gives the White Sox 5 solid starters (Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Garcia, Vasquez), which might be the best rotation in the majors right now. And they also have Brandon McCarthy, who I was hoping to see as the 5th starter next year.

I don't think they are done making moves, and Chicago radio is already reporting they've made an offer for Miguel Tejada. They also need bullpen help. It should be interesting to see what happens.

i am thrilled that vasquez is on the white sox and not the mets.

and also...

although every bad pitcher that goes to chicago turns into a cy young candidate lately, national league pitchers going to the american league tend not to work so well. especially mediocre national league pitchers who go to the american league.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-12-14-whitesox-dbacks-vazquez_x.htm

According to this article, the Diamondbacks have agreed to pay $8 million out of the remaining $23 million in his contract.

That means the White Sox are paying under market value for him, so that makes me feel better about the trade. I am concerned about how poorly he pitched in the national league last year (in the pathetic NL West, no less!). But if Don Cooper can turn Contreras around, I'm fairly confident that he can do the same with Vasquez. Besides, it's not like the White Sox are relying on Vasquez to be their ace- he's basically the 5th starter as things stand right now! I think most teams (including the Mets) would kill to have Vasquez as a 5th starter.

Numb1075 said:
i think every just about every team needs bullpen help
ph_150037.jpg

Ray King
ph_118986.jpg

Jose Mesa
ph_150118.jpg

Brian Fuentes
ph_425835.jpg

Chin-hui Tsao
ph_233694.jpg

David Cortes

The Rockies will have a decent bullpen, and in the NL West, that is all they need!

Uh oh, it's that time of the year again. We're gonna hear how great the Rockies are going to be for the next five months, right?

But then come April, silence...

Which happens to be the last time you posted in an MLB thread.

:hmm:

:wink:

phanan said:
Uh oh, it's that time of the year again. We're gonna hear how great the Rockies are going to be for the next five months, right?

But then come April, silence...

Which happens to be the last time you posted in an MLB thread.

:hmm:

:wink:
touche:wink:

however, after june first the rockies had the best record in the nl west. if they get out to anything close to a decent start this year, they could be in the pennant race most of the summer.

i hold no pie in the sky hopes of doing anything too big like last year. however, just like the second half of last year, the rockies will be fun to watch, and a tough team to play. they never seemed to be out of games, just unable to pull out close ones. so maybe now that they have some guys in the pen to set up for fuentes, they can actually get some of the close ones.

i predict we win 80 games this year. and in the nl west, that could be enough to win the division.

ph_150037.jpg

Ray King Predicted 2006 ERA: 8.95
ph_118986.jpg

Jose Mesa Predicted 2006 ERA: 7.66
ph_150118.jpg

Brian Fuentes Predicted 2206 ERA: 11.44
ph_425835.jpg

Chin-hui Tsao Predicted 2006 ERA: 17.31
ph_233694.jpg

David Cortes Predicted 2006 ERA: 77.94

Status
Not open for further replies.