MLB Hot Stove Edition - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #151
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
And what's this I hear?

Steingrabber is toying w/ the idea of having A-Wad or Jeter play CF this year.
yea i heard that idea also... i would think jeter would adapt to center better... then move a-rod back to shortstop and pick up a solid third baseman like what they did in the mid 90s... the scotty brosios type.

it appears as if what king george the third promised... that he would leave brian cashman alone to do his job... is actually happening.

i don't know how long it'll last... but for now, all quiet on the south bronx front... which is shocking, esp. with the red sox and mets making a bunch of moves.

i've also heard that the yankees are committed to restocking their farm system... which would explain their lack of movement and the fact that they haven't tried to pick up any scraps off the marlins scrap heap... in years past they would have tried to get the entire marlins team. now they don't seem to even be attempting to get anyone... i.e. juan pierre, who would be a perfect fit for that ballclub and is exactly what they need... a young leadoff hitting centerfielder with speed and a high onbase percentage.

maybe this is cashman's way of testing his new found ammunity from the tampa faction of the yankee heirarchy. so far it's working... but i have my serious doubts as to how long until the boss decides to get involved.

the best thing cashman could do is to convince king george that the yankees are sliding down a slippery slope towards the bronx zoo of the late 80s and early 90s... where they got rid of all their minor leaguers for over-priced aging veterans with minimal success. not for nothing, with the pickup of a few solid players and perhaps another arm, the yankees roster as is should have no problem competing for the AL East title. so if they just ride out the wave, stay in contention for a few years while retooling their farm system... perhaps they could see a repeat of the late 90s yankees... which saw most of their key players come from within the system with just a few highered guns to fill in the gaps... instead of vice versa.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:10 AM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:46 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Cubs just signed John Maybry!!!!!!!!!! Just give us our World Series rings now. Maybry is the missing link. The final piece of the equation. THE CUBS WILL NOW BE UNSTOPPABLE.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:14 AM   #153
ONE
love, blood, life

i love listening to NY sports radio when they mention the "Tampa faction". it sounds so funny, like it's this conspiring, evil, clan....

Do any other teams have a "faction"? Like the Pittsburgh Pirates faction....
Old 11-29-2005, 11:00 AM   #154
Blue Crack Distributor

speaking of the pirates... mark cuban inquired about purchasing the team, but the owner said they were not for sale.

tis a shame... you know cuban would pump all of his resources into returning the franchise to it's once proud status. guess they'll just suck for another few years now.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
i love listening to NY sports radio when they mention the "Tampa faction". it sounds so funny, like it's this conspiring, evil, clan....

Do any other teams have a "faction"? Like the Pittsburgh Pirates faction....
The Sox have "trade Manny" and "keep Manny" factions going right now
Old 11-29-2005, 11:26 AM   #156
Blue Crack Addict

Cuban must have had an extra $112.00 laying around.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:43 AM   #157
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Actually Gordon has been decent the last few years, and if he's not with the Yankees anymore, that's what works for me.
gordon has been great... up until late august at which point he breaks down.

he consistantly gives up big hits in big games. i'd be more than happy if the phillies made him their new closer.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

So no one else thinks that the Maybry signing is just what the Cubs needed?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:32 PM   #159
Blue Crack Addict

well Mabry's .209 batting average in August and his .103 average in September sounds perfect for the Cubs
Old 11-29-2005, 04:48 PM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
well Mabry's .209 batting average in August and his .103 average in September sounds perfect for the Cubs

Well since the Cubs are usually out of the race by that time of the year it doesn't matter...

Old 11-29-2005, 04:58 PM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

thats why he's a perfect fit for the cubs
Old 11-29-2005, 05:02 PM   #162
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
thats why he's a perfect fit for the cubs

See why I hate you. See.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:13 PM   #163
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:46 AM
The Angels have apparently offered Konerko $60M for five years. I'm not too excited about the prospect of the halos giving him $12M per year.....but, they do really need a bat.

On another note, I think the Mets are taking a huge risk giving 34-year-old Billy Wagner $10.75 million per year for four freakin' years. That's too much for a pitcher this late in his career.

---------------------------
November 29, 2005 latimes.com : Sports Print E-mail story Most e-mailed Change text size

ANGEL REPORT
Team Increases Offer to Konerko
By Mike DiGiovanna, Times Staff Writer

The Angels remain in the hunt for free-agent slugger Paul Konerko and are believed to have bumped their initial four-year offer to the Chicago White Sox first baseman to five years and about $60 million.

Konerko, who hit .283 with 40 home runs and 100 runs batted in, is expected to travel to Anaheim this week to meet with Angel officials, and he could make a decision before next week's winter meetings in Dallas.

The only other teams alive in the bidding for Konerko are the White Sox, who are reluctant to go a fifth year but, according to a team source, would do so if Konerko receives five-year proposals from other teams, and the Baltimore Orioles, who are willing to add a fifth year to their initial four-year, $50-million offer but are still long-shots to sign Konerko.

If Konerko leaves Chicago, he prefers to play on the West Coast and spend spring training near his Scottsdale, Ariz., home.

Konerko is also said to be very fond of Angel Manager Mike Scioscia and coaches Mickey Hatcher, Ron Roenicke and Alfredo Griffin, all of whom have ties to the Dodgers, the team that selected Konerko in the first round of the 1994 draft.

The Angels have also discussed a possible trade for Boston slugger Manny Ramirez, but that appears to be on the backburner while the Angels focus on Konerko.

A successful pursuit of Konerko would probably push first baseman Darin Erstad back to center field and block the path of promising first baseman Casey Kotchman.

The White Sox say re-signing Konerko remains a top priority despite their recent trade for Philadelphia first baseman Jim Thome, who is already recruiting Konerko.

"I put a call into him this weekend, but we have not talked," Thome said in a Chicago news conference Monday. "I've known Paulie for a long time…. For me, I wanted him to know from my end to come back, please."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though the Angels don't plan to match the three-year, roughly $18-million offer the New York Mets gave to Bengie Molina, there is still a chance they could retain the free-agent catcher.

According to a source, the Angels will offer Molina salary arbitration in December.

If free-agent catcher Ramon Hernandez, who also received a three-year offer from the Mets, commits to New York first and Molina doesn't receive any other lucrative offers, Molina could accept arbitration and attempt to spin a lucrative one-year contract with the Angels into a two-year deal.

"The Angels are not out of it," said Alan Nero, Molina's agent. "They will remain in it as long as Bengie and I keep them in it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bo McKinnis, the agent for Paul Byrd, said the free-agent right-hander "definitely is still interested in the Angels, and [Angel General Manager] Bill Stoneman has let us know the Angels are still interested in Paul."

Byrd, who went 12-11 with a 3.74 earned-run average last season, has received two-year offers from the Orioles and Rangers, and the Angels appear willing to come up from their initial one-year offer…. The Angels extended the contracts of Roenicke (bench coach), Hatcher (hitting coach), Griffin (first-base coach) and Orlando Mercado (bullpen coach) through the 2007 season. Pitching coach Bud Black is also signed through 2007.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:57 PM   #164
Blue Crack Distributor

carlos delgado yesterday...

billy wagner today...

whom can tommorow bring to flushing?

Old 11-29-2005, 10:44 PM   #165
Blue Crack Addict

so having signed Wagner, Pedro, Beltran and trading for Delgado and possibly Ramirez in the past couple years will the Mets finally be able to buy their way past the Braves and their farm system?