Martin: 'Coldplay's The Best Band In The World' - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-26-2005, 07:18 PM   #61
Refugee
 
Infinity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,188
Local Time: 10:43 AM
Who would win in a fight, Chris Martin or Liam Gallagher?
__________________

__________________
Infinity is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 07:18 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,443
Local Time: 05:43 PM
At least some people will get off Bonos case for being the one that is pompus now but not too many
__________________

__________________
Yahweh is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 07:41 PM   #63
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Denver,CO
Posts: 1,388
Local Time: 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
Who would win in a fight, Chris Martin or Liam Gallagher?
Liam, no contest. And we would still have no idea what the f**k he was saying after either...
__________________
cmb737 is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 07:45 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Bono's shades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The back of beyond
Posts: 5,038
Local Time: 12:43 PM
I didn't know that Bono had made that statement during the Boy era about thinking U2 had the stuff to be as great as the Beatles until years later when they had indeed become one of the biggest and greatest bands of all time, so it's easy for me to let that one slide. Part of me thinks I should give Chris Martin the benefit of the doubt, but it's hard to do. Maybe it would be easier if Coldplay had even a little bit of originality or charisma. I don't think U2 was at their peak during the Boy era by any means, but they certainly had a great live act and tons of fire and energy.
__________________
Bono's shades is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 07:52 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 01:43 PM
I think best band in the world varies for each person. For some people it's U2, others it's Coldplay, and for others it's someone else (I fall in the "someone else" category, in case you wondered. ). That's the beauty of music. There's something great (even the "best") for everyone.
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 08:10 PM   #66
Refugee
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,089
Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox
Yeah they are the best band in the world at the moment...

Theres tons of great bands around at the moment, you probably don't dig deep enough..as for Coldplay, they're terrible, I can't believe after all your ranting at U2's "safeness" you acknowledge the masters of MOR as the "best band in the world"!


__________________
Sleep Over Jack is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
sue4u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Posts: 6,628
Local Time: 12:43 PM
Whichever interview I saw it in, maybe the ABC U2/tour with Diane Sawyer, but Bono said there are some really good things coming up in rock & roll they (U2) going to be a part of it..
Or something like that.
Point is - the biggest band in the world is not going away anytime soon and the competition is getting really good.
I say more power to Cold Play, Killers, Green Day, and multitudes of others I haven't gotten around to listening too- even Keane. Keep it coming, the battle is on for the greatest of something other.
Works for me
__________________
sue4u2 is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 08:36 PM   #68
The Fly
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 261
Local Time: 05:43 PM
Coldplay v u2:

-Bono v Chris Martin: how can we make a comparison? Bono is so much cooler, and a middle class apologist.

-The Edge v their lead guitarist: Edge will take all before him.

-Adam Clayton v their bassist: Clayton is the jazz, soul man. Coldplay have some decent basslines, but nothing as distinctive as Clayton's.

-Larry Mullen v their drummer: well, Mullen is just a warhorse and looks great!

So- winners as individuals and team. There is only 1 u2- coldplay can try but ain't got the goods.
__________________
lrcllb is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 08:47 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
blueeyedgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bottom of the earth
Posts: 6,774
Local Time: 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
the killers nor franz do anything for me either, it seems like yet the continuing phase that started with the strokes, hives, vines..young blokes ripping off music before their time
Yeah, like U2 weren't, in their early 80's phase, not accused of ripping off bands like Television, Echo and the Bunnymen, Gang of Four and were actually considered to be a Division 2 band, compared to the Bunnymen and Joy Division.


Edit cos just remembered Bono liked to compare what U2 could achieve to bands like the Who. Now I like the Edge but he sure ain't no Pete Townshend! You want charisma! Pete's got it in bucketloads!!!!!
__________________
blueeyedgirl is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 09:04 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,459
Local Time: 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lrcllb
Coldplay v u2:

-Bono v Chris Martin: how can we make a comparison? Bono is so much cooler, and a middle class apologist.

-The Edge v their lead guitarist: Edge will take all before him.

-Adam Clayton v their bassist: Clayton is the jazz, soul man. Coldplay have some decent basslines, but nothing as distinctive as Clayton's.

-Larry Mullen v their drummer: well, Mullen is just a warhorse and looks great!

So- winners as individuals and team. There is only 1 u2- coldplay can try but ain't got the goods.
how can anyone ever argue with this?

the facts speak for themselves. well played.
__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 09:13 PM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
sue4u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Posts: 6,628
Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl


Yeah, like U2 weren't, in their early 80's phase, not accused of ripping off bands like Television, Echo and the Bunnymen, Gang of Four and were actually considered to be a Division 2 band, compared to the Bunnymen and Joy Division.

Edit cos just remembered Bono liked to compare what U2 could achieve to bands like the Who. Now I like the Edge but he sure ain't no Pete Townshend! You want charisma! Pete's got it in bucketloads!!!!!

They weren't accused of ripping off band such as these because Bono has actually said they were influenced by some of these groups.

Pete Townsend and Larry are two totally different types of drummers and Larry has always said he doesn't have the formal training that alot of drummer's do.
But damn, he does do a hell of a job for what he does know.
Needless to say it's served him & U2 well..
__________________
sue4u2 is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 09:35 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2


Pete Townsend and Larry are two totally different types of drummers and Larry has always said he doesn't have the formal training that alot of drummer's do.
But damn, he does do a hell of a job for what he does know.
Needless to say it's served him & U2 well..
Pete Townsend's a drummer?

I thought he was a guitarist.

Now Keith Moon was a drummer....
__________________
indra is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 09:39 PM   #73
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Denver,CO
Posts: 1,388
Local Time: 10:43 AM
Blinded by the light....
__________________
cmb737 is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 09:40 PM   #74
Refugee
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Denver,CO
Posts: 1,388
Local Time: 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2
Pete Townsend and Larry are two totally different types of drummers
this is classic. the entire debate summed up into one sentence. Jimi Hendrix didn't have that much training as a drummer either...but look what he did.
__________________
cmb737 is offline  
Old 05-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life
 
MrBrau1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Verplexed in Vermont
Posts: 10,436
Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cmb737
Blinded by the light....
Wrapped like a DOUCHE in the middle of the night.
__________________

__________________
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
MrBrau1 is offline  
 

Tags
coldplay

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com