Is the forum worth a reasonable monthly or yearly fee? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
View Poll Results: Would you be willing to spend $3/month OR $24/year (or similar) on this place?
Yes 47 53.41%
No 41 46.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2002, 07:14 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:13 AM
Normal

Well, I don't know anything about the legal issues that melon brought up, but I would be willing to pay a monthy/yearly fee. But like others have mentioned, I think this would discourage newbies and cause problems. I hope we don't have to resort to that.

Old 08-06-2002, 07:16 PM   #62
She's the One

Local Time: 08:13 PM
I was thinking about this on the way to get dog food; what about banned members? Not band members, but those who shoot off their mouths one too many times. If they were paying members, they might get touchy about their membership fees. melon has brought up legal points, and this may add to that discussion. A banned person may want to cause more trouble and start being a shit about getting fees back, or pro-rating them or something troublesome.

I like the idea of voluntary donations, something along the lines of PBS, but with an end in sight!

Old 08-06-2002, 07:17 PM   #63
MacPhisto's serving wench

Local Time: 11:13 PM
Today I gave $3.00 to a homelss man on the street of T.O.

Why do I tell you this? Not be/c I want a congratulations or medal, but b/c I don't know if I can justify spending $24 for an internet forum. I suppose, in the end, this place means I lot to me, and thus I would pay....(I mean, I justify a new pair of shoes), but I agree: it would scare of the new ones.

There are times, months, when I post/lurk A LOT. Now, this summer, I'm lucky if I'm on once a week. I'd prefer the omnthly fee. I can tell you now that during exam time (alas, I am a poor student) I won't be on at all. I'd hate to see this place go down, but I'm not quite sure where I stand. I'm sorry (I'm a Libra - I never make up my mind).
Old 08-06-2002, 07:20 PM   #64
Dub
The Fly

Local Time: 09:13 PM
I agree that payment should not be mandatory as that would limit the diversity on this site, but I also hope there are enough people who frequent this forum who can afford to contribute and they will make up for the ones that can't. I know I haven't posted much, but have lurked for ages and I do not mind putting in a little more than "my fair share" in order to keep the integrity and diversity of this forum. I don't know if this will upset anyone and I certainly don't mean to belittle or simplify the cause, this is purely a metaphor - but it's kind of in the same spirit as "Drop the Debt" - if the ones who can afford to donate give generously, the one's who can't will benefit and ultimately everyone wins.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:28 PM   #65
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I like the idea of voluntary donations, something along the lines of PBS, but with an end in sight!
Sorry I couldn't help but giggle at the thought of PBS Pledge Drives (no offense to PBS - I love PBS)...something along those lines may work.

maybe we can have a bake sale? sorry jk
Old 08-06-2002, 07:28 PM   #66
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
I'm only thinking outloud here... for now... and would really like to get everyone's opinion/feelings on this
I think we need to remember that Elvis is only considering this and by the looks of the way the donating is going I dont think this site will end up being a paying one.

I personally would not like to see that happen, even though I would pay, but I understand and agree with others views about what would happen if it did turn out to be a paying site.

Lets not get our knickers in a knot.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:36 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

This is just a little add in for those who want to make a donation but do not have credit cards. I used my bank check card on PayPal to make my donation. Most banks have them if you ask about them. At the places I have banked in the past they are free but some charge you a one time fee for the card of like a dollar. I buy stuff on line and in stores and it is like a plastic check. If you have a checking account the money you spend comes out just like that but you can use it online as well. Basicly a credit card linked to your checking account. I don't know if I explained that well enough. If anyone is interested PM me and I will explain better if I can, and like I said Elvis I will try to help more when I can.

another footnote. If you did do the membership thing and were afraid of scaring off newbies another idea may be to give a free trial membership so they could check the site out and see what it is all about. you know like the crack dealers on the street. First ones free so they get hooked then charge them. Just a suggestion.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:36 PM   #68
Refugee

I have no problem donating to something I spend so much time on. If it means keeping it alive!

I really do not like the idea of mandatory payment, or membership so I hope all those who browse here frequently can pony up a few measly dollars. There are certainly more important causes to support, and I'm sure there are those of us that do just that. But this place is a connection to a lot of other things-

If it were mandatory, I know I wouldn't visit. I just think that's lame.

Old 08-06-2002, 07:50 PM   #69
Refugee

((deep))

Wow. deep, thank you! You didnt have to do that though.
lol, for once in my life I feel speechless!

I will eventually donate some money but this time of the year is the worst in ways of my money. I have to use my little allowance to use for school (my school always finds things for us to pay for at the start of the year) and for birthdays. I don't know whos bright idea it was in my family to have almost everyones birthdays in december.
Atleast next summer I'll be 16 so I can get a job at at a music store near my school.

My mom just had a money-raising idea. She said maybe we could try to get U2 to donate an autographed shirt or something that we could put up on ebay. I think the donations idea is good for now though.

Again, thanks deep.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:34 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

Lets not get our knickers in a knot.
Dammit! I'm horrible with knots!

Sicy, a little help please?
Old 08-06-2002, 08:35 PM   #71
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikal

Dammit! I'm horrible with knots!

Sicy, a little help please?
Cookie!!!!! You saucy little manwhore!!!

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-06-2002, 10:06 PM   #72
Blue Crack Distributor

you learn something new everyday

Quote:

Inactive accounts DO NOT affect bandwidth or space... they just sit there. lol.
Okie dokie, at least we know the answer to that now!
Old 08-06-2002, 10:20 PM   #73
Creator of the Blue Crack

OI!

Ok... like Sicy said that I said (got that one?)....

I only posted this to stir ideas... to help people realize that this place is anything but free for me to run....

Personally, I do not like the idea of a pay site... and I do not think it will come to that... so long as constant progress is made with the doantions...

Here is how I figure it.. if we get an average of $14 in donations, per day, we'll be set!

In the last month there have been more than enough ACTIVE registered members that if everyone contributed $1 per month we'd be way ahead of the game. Keep in mind, that when you donate $1 via PayPal... we will only see about 65cents of that, as PayPal charges a processing fee both flat rate and percentage (so when only $1 is donated at a time, we lose the largest percentage per donation - which sucks... so if you can, donate a bit more. (ie. $1.35 will end up being around $1, where as a $2 donation will end up being about $1.64).

Now some may ask.. why only $1 when you had mentioned $2-3 before?

Simple... if it stays as a donation based site, I have little to no administration to do! If it becomes a pay site however, accounts would have to be tracked and accounted for, Interference.com would have to be filed as a business, and taxes would have to be paid (as melon mentioned). So... I do NOT like the idea of having it become a pay site.... EW.

Now... if you can't afford to help out, then maybe ask a friend to donate for you... it's only a dollar... it supports our community... it keeps future threads like this from appearing... and it keeps me focused on improving the site, instead of annoying all of you with trying to get donations
FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:34 PM   #74
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Keep in mind, that when you donate $1 via PayPal... we will only see about 65cents of that
which is why i plan on donating via snail mail.

"Because a senator - a politician - a person - who can let hang in mid-air the prospect that she might just be sticking around in part, just in case the other guy gets shot - has no business being, and no capacity to be, the President of the United States." -- Keith Olbermann
Old 08-06-2002, 10:36 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think the donation campaign is the best choice, but I also feel that people's inability to donate/reasons for not donating should not be second-guessed. I am not trying to take any steam out of the campaign, it's just some of the posts seemed a bit pointed (isn't this a "what do you think" thread anyway?).

My concerns about it being a pay site are the ones that Martha, Deep in HELL and Melon brought up, especially what Deep said about teenagers not having access to credi/check cards; I didn't have one until my senior year in college.

All of that being said, I enjoy this forum and have gained a lot from it and have no problem making a donation myself.

~U2Alabama