Interference Random Music Talk Part XI: Buttmeat Rides Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see such a ringing endorsement. I'm really backed up on new music, mostly out of laziness, but it's near the top of my itinerary.

I think that you were one of the assholes trying to get an opinion from me on the new Do Make Say Think, too. Well, fuck you, if so, because I actually like it. Awesome stuff. Sounds to me unlike any of their other records, primarly because I was able to get through it without falling asleep or grabbing wildly for one of the KC Accidental EPs. Really, really, really fucking good. Probably gonna go see them at Schubas, in a few weeks.

...but, please, do not let that distract you from the Real Estate LP, which is amazingly good. Seriously. Or, well, as serious as I can be after a scant three spins. Could outstay its welcome, in a week, but I reckon that it'll be one hell of a fuckin' week, even if that's how it all goes.

I actually picked up Real Estate and the Little Dragon albums earlier this week thanks to the reviews on THE FORK!

Haven't listened to either yet.

Guess who's going to be directing the next Academy Awards telecast?

Yep, our very own Cockish Hamilton!

Hey, if it keeps him away from Shuttlecock projects, fine with me.

Of course, I just learned today that Winner is getting promoted for the Best Original Song category (for the film Brothers) in this year's awards race , so he may wind up directing one of their performances anyway...

Of course, I just learned today that Winner is getting promoted for the Best Original Song category (for the film Brothers) in this year's awards race , so he may wind up directing one of their performances anyway...

I remember that song being pretty bad. Half-baked, with some seriously clunky lyrics and an intro sounding exactly like the intro to Viva La Vida.

Yuck. I might have to track it down and give it another try.

I remember that song being pretty bad. Half-baked, with some seriously clunky lyrics and an intro sounding exactly like the intro to Viva La Vida.

Yuck. I might have to track it down and give it another try.

That's pretty much how I would describe it verbatim.

This reminds me of how I feel every time a newer Simpsons episode is nominated for an Emmy. A once great institution turning in shit and getting lauded for it.

...and yet it's still better than The Cocks That Built America.

I posed a question in the Serves of Ascent thread in The Place That Shall Not Be Named, but it was ignored by the posters so they could continue discussing (off-topic) the Christian intent of Boner's lyrics. :rolleyes:

I'll repeat it here for the more discerning crowd: If Winner goes the distance and actually manages to secure a Golden Globe and/or Academy Award nomination or even a win, how will this effect the future of the song? Will it be left alone, with the thought that it was obviously good enough to garner that level of attention? Or will they want to work on it again to make sure a definitive version that meets their standards is the one that's available for posterity?

Will they feel compelled to put it on Serves of Ascent, or will the fact that it's already been around for so long and will have been heard everywhere convince them to just leave it off and save it for the next Best Of?

It's an interesting situation, as it was something Beano was really behind and was upset the band abandoned it to focus on crap like Cock Crazy and Stand Up Referee, then left on Linedrive because the band didn't want to mess up Corbijn's project, probably not thinking of the soundtrack situation.

Of course, for all we know, the band HAS tinkered with it already and a new version will be in Brothers once it appears.

It's a new film by the Irish director Jim Sheridan, who did In America, My Left Foot, and In the Name of the Father. Stars Tobey Maguire, Natalie Portman and Jake Gyllenhaal.

And has taken the whole "give away too much in the trailer" phenomenon to the next level.

I think that you were one of the assholes trying to get an opinion from me on the new Do Make Say Think, too. Well, fuck you, if so, because I actually like it. Awesome stuff. Sounds to me unlike any of their other records, primarly because I was able to get through it without falling asleep or grabbing wildly for one of the KC Accidental EPs. Really, really, really fucking good. Probably gonna go see them at Schubas, in a few weeks.

Yeah, that was yours truly. Honestly, I haven't even had much of a chance to listen to it yet. Let's chalk that up to the same laziness keeping me from diving in Bear in Heaven and Real Estate. Enjoy the show. I saw them in 2006 and it was all kinds of awesome.

As for all this "Winner" talk, I don't have much to add, but it really is weird for a song considered "incomplete" to be making the awards rounds. It doesn't bode well for its eventual inclusion on Serves of Ascent, but they allegedly have enough material to make a proper album without it anyway. But yeah, maybe the version in the film is a different one than that in Linedrive*. Either way, I liked the song more than a whole lot of No Net.

*I'm reminded of the story of NSW shouting "LINEDRIVE SUCKS!" in Chicago. Good times.

Even with the downtime, the lack of activity here is depressing.

I'm liking this new Little Dragon a lot. Anyone else check it out?

Also, proposed nicknames for Bjork:

1. THE 'JORK!
2. THE BIJ!
3. THE GUDS!
4. THE DOTT!
5. THE SWAN!

We need consensus.

I love calling her Ba-jork, so I'd have to support THE 'JORK! We just have to make sure it doesn't get confused with THE JERK!

jerk.jpg

She's a WILD AND CRAZY GIRL!!

I blame the lack of response to my NSW joke on the recent power outage.

A shame, because I thought at least Muldfeld would come in here and protest.

She's a WILD AND CRAZY GIRL!!

I blame the lack of response to my NSW joke on the recent power outage.

A shame, because I thought at least Muldfeld would come in here and protest.

I blame how you've infected the forum with your filth-flarring-flarring-filth.

His return has made me very happy. The best part being when he said he didn't believe someone's performance by how they coughed, or some shit like that. Surreal.

Time for some bulletpoint:

Bjork hates these cans!

I'm liking this new Little Dragon a lot. Anyone else check it out?

Haven't listened to it, but I loved them opening for TVOTR.

I like THE JORK! for Bjork. Lance certainly need to chime in, though. That's his gurl.

The Palestine joke was quality.

Re: Muldy. I loved him saying Mad Men isn't political enough for him.

THE JORK! is looking for a special purpose.

Time for some bulletpoint:

Bjork hates these cans!

Haven't listened to it, but I loved them opening for TVOTR.

I like THE JORK! for Bjork. Lance certainly need to chime in, though. That's his gurl.

The Palestine joke was quality.

Re: Muldy. I loved him saying Mad Men isn't political enough for him.

Is Mad Men not politically enough for the Political Club?

Yeah, classic. And then Deep defends it!

Also really, REALLY liking that Real Estate album.

That made me even happier.

I'll have to check out Real Estate as well.

Wow, incredible performance. I loved how Stipe just sat down and watched Peter Buck's solo. "Country Feedback" is one of my most loved R.E.M. tracks, and I was always bummed they didn't play it in St. Paul or Chicago last year. Thanks for sharing, GAF. Also, your avatar is awesome; The Wire's one of my favorite shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom