I'm Breaking Out and I Need Some Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyfan26

Blue Crack Supplier
As I've mentioned before, U2 is the primary focus of my music interests. I'm very one band right now. I feel the need to break out with a couple other groups and start listening to their stuff. I actually have an extraordinarily limited music knowledge. I've listened to very little Beatles or Pink Floyd, etc. I know I will probably hear recommendations for them and I probably will go through with those. But any other ideas from anyone?

(NOTE: I also listen to The Who, Bruce Springsteen, The Police, and Franz Ferdinand.)

Catherine Wheel :yes:

I LOVE Ferment, and Chrome (I'm listening to that right now :) ) and Adam & Eve are also faves of their's for me.

Not sure if all of these would interest you, but these are some of my favorite bands and artists that you should at least check out and decide whether or not you'd like to pursue them further.

R.E.M.
Radiohead
The Arcade Fire
Talking Heads
David Bowie
Beck
Bob Dylan
Sufjan Stevens
Wilco
Interpol
Daniel Lanois
Zeppelin
The White Stripes
Bjork
The Pixies
Prince
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
The Flaming Lips
Elvis Costello
Bright Eyes
Modest Mouse
Brian Eno
The Cure
The Decemberists

If you want specifics for any of the above, let me know and I'll reccomend a good album or song to start with. :) Have fun.

If you really want to branch out you might ask Interference to supply* you with examples from each genre. :shrug: Just a thought. You might end up liking some of the many genres that are out there.

*:shifty: Leave your e-mail address.

Last edited:
ok some of my faves are:
Heart (crazy on you is amazing)
Interpol
Jeff Buckley
The Rolling Stones
Prince
Led Zeppelin
John Lennon
Joan Jett
The Killers
Queen
Radiohead(but i don't know if that's your style)
Supertramp
The Tragically Hip:drool:x a million
Jimi Hendrix
Inxs(the old one)
Muse
Snow Patrol

:shifty:there we go

Porcupine Tree. Everyone needs some Porcupine Tree in their life.

Same goes for The Chills and Straitjacket Fits.

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty confident most U2 fans would really enjoy the melodic rock of Crowded House. Neil Finn has an amazing voice.

Check out the stuff in my submission for the Desert Island Game. There's some really good bands in there that you could sample.

Oh yeah, good idea Axver. Check out the Desert Island submissions. I think all the artists I listed are represented somehow on my list.

Lancemc said:
Oh yeah, good idea Axver. Check out the Desert Island submissions. I think all the artists I listed are represented somehow on my list.

You can't not find something new to enjoy from all the stuff that's been uploaded for the tournament.

Another recommendation would be Midnight Oil, great melodic and often political rock, almost an Australian U2 in that sense.

Axver said:

You can't not find something new to enjoy from all the stuff that's been uploaded for the tournament.

Another recommendation would be Midnight Oil, great melodic and often political rock, almost an Australian U2 in that sense.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :love: Midnight Oil
Fave albums: Blue Sky Mine and Diesel & Dust

may I suggest some Elvis Costello :flirt:

Depends what you are looking for. It it's classic rock, or something different...

but he needs to avoid Kid A. It's a terrible, over-rated, useless album of recorded sounds.

clap trap. Tride and true clap trap.

I'm going to have to voice my disagreement with Brau this one time (gasp, have I ever done that before? :shocked: ).

Kid A is one of the best albums of the decade. But DONT start out with that album. You could start out with OK Computer I suppose, but it's far from being their best album. I'd reccomend The Bends (aka Best Album of the 90's).

Lancemc said:
I'm going to have to voice my disagreement with Brau this one time (gasp, have I ever done that before? :shocked: ).

Kid A is one of the best albums of the decade. But DONT start out with that album. You could start out with OK Computer I suppose, but it's far from being their best album. I'd reccomend The Bends (aka Best Album of the 90's).

I disagree with both of you in some form.

1. Kid A IS worth getting, and it's a great album, and you should not pick it up first. But you should pick it up at some point. (And remember to listen to it at least 50 times before you make an opinion on it...it's a grower.)

2. OK Computer is their best album by a mile. Bends is great, but most of it sounds like extremely-inspired post grunge to these ears. You still need it for Fake Plastic Trees, anyway.

Lila64 said:

:yes: :yes: :yes: :love: Midnight Oil
Fave albums: Blue Sky Mine and Diesel & Dust

I'm quite partial to 10-1 myself. Short Memory, Read About It, US Forces, and Power And The Passion are incredible.

LemonMelon said:

He needs OK Computer. Now.

No, no he doesn't. Terrible claptrap. The only decent song that band's done is Electioneering. Oh, and Idioteque. I don't know why this forum seems to think Radiohead are the zenith of music.

Axver said:

No, no he doesn't. Terrible claptrap. The only decent song that band's done is Electioneering. Oh, and Idioteque. I don't know why this forum seems to think Radiohead are the zenith of music.

Because they are. :shrug:

Don't listen to Axver...he's in the small minority that hates pre-Kid A Radiohead. :shh:

Radiohead is currently the best band of their time, and dare I make the following comparisons, like The Beatles were for their time, Led Zeppelin was for their time, U2 was for theirs, etc.

Lancemc said:
Radiohead is currently the best band of their time, and dare I make the following comparisons, like The Beatles were for their time, Led Zeppelin was for their time, U2 was for theirs, etc.

You can dare. :up: The comparisons are definitely correct. :yes:

LemonMelon said:

You can dare. :up: The comparisons are definitely correct. :yes:

I consider them one of the great stories of wasted talent in rock history. A complete tragedy. So much promise and genius followed by so much self important, head up ass, tuneless music.

A sad, sad story.:sad:

Anyway. For some more specific reccomendations I shall list my personal "Album of the Year" for the past 5 years. All are DEFINITELY worth checking out:

2006: The Crane Wife - The Decemberists

2005: Come On Feel the Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens

2004: Funeral - The Arcade Fire

2003: Hail to the Thief - Radiohead

2002: Sea Change - Beck

MrBrau1 said:

I consider them one of the great stories of wasted talent in rock history. A complete tragedy. So much promise and genius followed by so much self important, head up ass, tuneless music.

Can I give you a hug? :hug:

It's extremely self-important, but it's not tuneless, and it's also incredibly amazing. I wish you liked it. But that's just one of the pitfalls of personal taste. Oh well.

Lancemc said:

Can I give you a hug? :hug:

It's extremely self-important, but it's not tuneless, and it's also incredibly amazing. I wish you liked it. But that's just one of the pitfalls of personal taste. Oh well.

You call it a pitfall, in this case, I consider it a benefit.:wink:

MrBrau1 said:

That's how I feel about part of Amnesiac and most of HTTT. (Kid A felt that way too at first, but now I think it's great...all of it)

The rest is mindblowing, really.

And now...LP7 is coming. :drool:

You Radiohead fans are a laugh, truly. You're a good source of comedy on these forums. Radiohead are a joke. There's a difference between innovating and sticking a fork up your arse, twisting ten times, and calling it innovative. Radiohead are very firmly in the latter camp, and have a virtually unlistenable strangled cat- er, I mean, singer to boot! On a more positive note, quality bands like Agalloch and Orphaned Land are in the former camp, that of actually being innovative, though I wouldn't be in a hurry to recommend Agalloch or Orphaned Land to most posters here.

One band I adore who would perhaps be more appealling to people here, especially those who worship Pink Floyd songs such as Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Echoes, and the entire Animals album would be Pure Reason Revolution. Their album The Dark Third is a masterpiece - and if you get the US edition, track down the song The Twyncyn/Trembling Willows from the UK edition online, because it's the best song they've made (conversely, if you get the UK edition, go find Nimos And Tambos from the US edition as it's their second or third best song behind Goshens Remains, which is on both editions).

Oh, and I don't know how anyone could dislike Split Enz. Quirky, original, unique, artistic, and with a great sense for melodies and hooks.

Back
Top Bottom