I'm Breaking Out and I Need Some Help - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2007, 01:39 AM   #16
The Male

Local Time: 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Ready
radiohead
He needs OK Computer. Now.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:41 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:24 PM
but he needs to avoid Kid A. It's a terrible, over-rated, useless album of recorded sounds.

clap trap. Tride and true clap trap.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:42 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:24 PM
I'm going to have to voice my disagreement with Brau this one time (gasp, have I ever done that before? ).

Kid A is one of the best albums of the decade. But DONT start out with that album. You could start out with OK Computer I suppose, but it's far from being their best album. I'd reccomend The Bends (aka Best Album of the 90's).
Old 02-11-2007, 01:46 AM   #19
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I'm going to have to voice my disagreement with Brau this one time (gasp, have I ever done that before? ).

Kid A is one of the best albums of the decade. But DONT start out with that album. You could start out with OK Computer I suppose, but it's far from being their best album. I'd reccomend The Bends (aka Best Album of the 90's).
I disagree with both of you in some form.

1. Kid A IS worth getting, and it's a great album, and you should not pick it up first. But you should pick it up at some point. (And remember to listen to it at least 50 times before you make an opinion on it...it's a grower.)

2. OK Computer is their best album by a mile. Bends is great, but most of it sounds like extremely-inspired post grunge to these ears. You still need it for Fake Plastic Trees, anyway.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:47 AM   #20
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64

Midnight Oil
Fave albums: Blue Sky Mine and Diesel & Dust
I'm quite partial to 10-1 myself. Short Memory, Read About It, US Forces, and Power And The Passion are incredible.

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

He needs OK Computer. Now.
No, no he doesn't. Terrible claptrap. The only decent song that band's done is Electioneering. Oh, and Idioteque. I don't know why this forum seems to think Radiohead are the zenith of music.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-11-2007, 01:49 AM   #21
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

No, no he doesn't. Terrible claptrap. The only decent song that band's done is Electioneering. Oh, and Idioteque. I don't know why this forum seems to think Radiohead are the zenith of music.
Because they are.

Don't listen to Axver...he's in the small minority that hates pre-Kid A Radiohead.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:51 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Radiohead is currently the best band of their time, and dare I make the following comparisons, like The Beatles were for their time, Led Zeppelin was for their time, U2 was for theirs, etc.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:52 AM   #23
The Male

Quote:
Radiohead is currently the best band of their time, and dare I make the following comparisons, like The Beatles were for their time, Led Zeppelin was for their time, U2 was for theirs, etc.
You can dare. The comparisons are definitely correct.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:56 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

You can dare. The comparisons are definitely correct.
I consider them one of the great stories of wasted talent in rock history. A complete tragedy. So much promise and genius followed by so much self important, head up ass, tuneless music.

A sad, sad story.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:58 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Anyway. For some more specific reccomendations I shall list my personal "Album of the Year" for the past 5 years. All are DEFINITELY worth checking out:

2006: The Crane Wife - The Decemberists

2005: Come On Feel the Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens

2004: Funeral - The Arcade Fire

2003: Hail to the Thief - Radiohead

2002: Sea Change - Beck
Old 02-11-2007, 01:59 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

I consider them one of the great stories of wasted talent in rock history. A complete tragedy. So much promise and genius followed by so much self important, head up ass, tuneless music.

A sad, sad story.
Can I give you a hug?

It's extremely self-important, but it's not tuneless, and it's also incredibly amazing. I wish you liked it. But that's just one of the pitfalls of personal taste. Oh well.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:00 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Can I give you a hug?

It's extremely self-important, but it's not tuneless, and it's also incredibly amazing. I wish you liked it. But that's just one of the pitfalls of personal taste. Oh well.
You call it a pitfall, in this case, I consider it a benefit.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:01 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Old 02-11-2007, 02:02 AM   #29
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

A sad, sad story.
That's how I feel about part of Amnesiac and most of HTTT. (Kid A felt that way too at first, but now I think it's great...all of it)

The rest is mindblowing, really.

And now...LP7 is coming.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:22 AM   #30
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:24 AM
You Radiohead fans are a laugh, truly. You're a good source of comedy on these forums. Radiohead are a joke. There's a difference between innovating and sticking a fork up your arse, twisting ten times, and calling it innovative. Radiohead are very firmly in the latter camp, and have a virtually unlistenable strangled cat- er, I mean, singer to boot! On a more positive note, quality bands like Agalloch and Orphaned Land are in the former camp, that of actually being innovative, though I wouldn't be in a hurry to recommend Agalloch or Orphaned Land to most posters here.

One band I adore who would perhaps be more appealling to people here, especially those who worship Pink Floyd songs such as Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Echoes, and the entire Animals album would be Pure Reason Revolution. Their album The Dark Third is a masterpiece - and if you get the US edition, track down the song The Twyncyn/Trembling Willows from the UK edition online, because it's the best song they've made (conversely, if you get the UK edition, go find Nimos And Tambos from the US edition as it's their second or third best song behind Goshens Remains, which is on both editions).

Oh, and I don't know how anyone could dislike Split Enz. Quirky, original, unique, artistic, and with a great sense for melodies and hooks.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog