Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows discussion ***SPOILERS!!!*** - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2007, 12:17 AM   #301
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Guys, the Chris Columbus movies really do suck. They lost their novelty for me after their 2nd viewings.

Azkaban and Phoenix are the only good standalone films in the series. The rest is for nostalgic value/hardcore fans that don't give a shit.

/bold statement of the day
UNGH! Fuck you, LMP won't do what you told him!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 01:02 AM   #302
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

UNGH! Fuck you, LMP won't do what you told him!!!
UNGH! is right muthafucka.

hustle n' flow.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:29 AM   #303
Refugee

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Ok, kiddies, let's just everyone...(Jason Isaacs voice) calm down, shall we? *Grabs the toffee Poppycock and settles down for the show*
Old 08-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #304
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Poppycock is the greatest word of all-time.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 AM   #305
Refugee

Wonder who invented it. The word, I mean. I presume you know of Poppycock the popcorn!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #306
War Child

Gotta love Britslang!
Old 08-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #307
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 03:53 AM
Poppycock is certainly not modern slang - it's an old-fashioned word. Not used that much any more - all very Enid Blyton

Means the same as balderdash or piffle, which are also quality words
Old 08-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #308
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

and tomfoolery, hogwash, and chicanery.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:58 AM   #309
Refugee

And "wotcher"? That's the BIG mystery for me in HP. What does that mean???! Wasn't it Cockney slang 80-90 yrs ago or so? (Of course "cockney" isn't used much anymore either--I think the last time I read it describing someone was Johnny Rotten?)

And some of the British foods. What's treacle tart taste like? Is chocolate gateau another word for chocolate eclair? Is porridge oatmeal?`etc.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:13 AM   #310
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Wotcher = like 'hello'. Although I've always seen it spelt 'Wotcha'

According to http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...sages/549.html

Quote:
: Origin of the word 'Cheers'
: By Cloudesley, with an assist from Oxford's J.H.Marshall of OWLS

: In the medieval times 'cheer' meant face and by that expression or mood. Although the phrase "makien cheres, & wrenchen mis hore" (making cheers, & wenching miss whore)was written in 1225 ad. By the mid fourteen hundreds the phrase "what chere be with you?" was a common greeting. At this time 'chere' also began to mean good humour. It wasn't until 1919 that "cheers" was written a salutation before a drink. The custom of touching glasses is recorded in the 'Oxford English Dictionary' from at least 1820
: (the 'Regency' period) as something done by fashionable English gentlemen when drinking together.

So it might originally be another version of 'cheers!'

Or it could be a contraction of 'what you doing?'

It's one of those phrases that's hard to find the etymology for. People certainly don't say it in my neck of the woods - Nottinghamshire, but they might still say it down London way. Any Londoners around here?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:19 AM   #311
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
And "wotcher"? That's the BIG mystery for me in HP. What does that mean???! Wasn't it Cockney slang 80-90 yrs ago or so? (Of course "cockney" isn't used much anymore either--I think the last time I read it describing someone was Johnny Rotten?)

And some of the British foods. What's treacle tart taste like? Is chocolate gateau another word for chocolate eclair? Is porridge oatmeal?`etc.
Cockney isn't an archaic word - it's a word used to describe people born traidtionally within hearing range of the Bow Bells (i.e. the bells of St Mary-le-Bow church in Cheapside in the City of London). But more recently it's begun to mean East Londoners generally. There's still plenty of Cockneys around!

Porridge is, I believe, what you guys call outmeal - ie. breakfast made by adding milk or water to oats and cooking it. Treacle tart tasts like....treacle tart! hard to describe. It's a treacly sticky topping on top of a shortcut pastry base. Chocolate gaeteau is nothing do to with eclairs - it's basically just a posh chocolate cake.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:58 AM   #312
Refugee

Ok....thanks Bammo....though you didn't answer my question on where "Wotcher" came from....

and I just want to share:

ONE PART OF MY DREAM HAS COME TRUE:

*NEWS FLASH* JOHN WILLIAMS IS DOING THE SCORE FOR "DEATHLY HALLOWS'!!! It's been confirmed on Aint It Cool News....he gave a talk at Berkshire Uni and basically confirmed it.

I had a supreme geek moment and literally jumped up and down reading this today.....I figured that since David Yates is confirmed for Film 6 and Yate's composer is the esteemed Mr. Hooper....(nd all around decent bloke, but nothing brilliant..he had some inspired flashes in OOTP though..such as the Possession scene at the end...) Williams thought that he'd better rush to get his paws on Film 7 before Hooper or someone else claimed it. Really, there are only 2 people IMO worthy to do the music for DH..Williams, and failing that, Howard Shore. Ennio Morricone would have done a fantastic job if he were still with us but sadly he isn't, and Hans Zimmer could have done a passable job, BUT...

it's not just that at 75 Mr Williams in his dotage is still better than most people out there,-- (consider his "throwaway" scores: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade--specifically the Grail Theme; Jurassic Park; Hook; War of the Worlds; Superman; the themes for Tom Riddle in the first 2 HP fims, as well as the Sirius Black theme; these, IMO, are his "fragments" and "lesser" work, but oh, how great!) --he "made" the HP Brand. The first 3 films are his and the Films 4 and 5 have a token nod to his work, out of the composers' respect. For him not to comer back and "claim" what he begun would be unthinkable.

With him doing the scores for Indy 4 (due out next yr--forget that the title and closing cues will likely be the same, just sitting in a theater listening to a CONTEMPORY RECORDING SESSION of him conducting that theme--the throught is already sending a corkscrew up my spine) and Spielberg's "Lincoln" in 2009, and now DH in 2010 to look forward to, it will be a wonderful time for film music. I can't help feeling a little sad though. The man *is* 75....and while he is in great shape, he'll be close to 80 composing for DH. I can't help feeling we'll be experiencing the last of his great work. Hopefully he'll be like Christopher Lee but you never know.

I can hear it now...Mr Williams, Sir, we *NEED* a motif for Snape (just as there was sort of one for Sirius in POA), something that'llmake you weep as he dies; we need a rousing score for the Battle of Hogwarts; we need a Ginny/"family"/"love"/"Death" theme to be played alternately when a) Harry sees the Doe (oh wait, that's Snape's theme!); when Dobby dies; when Harry walks through the forest to his "death" (I "heard" a JW score through that whole soggy chapter!), and a more lyrical, poetic alternate of that for the Epilogue; we need to retun to the great tragic choral work he did so well in Star Wars, esp in TPM and ROTS....oh wait, I'm geeking out.....just happy...(goes off to put my JW Compilation on the headphones)
Old 09-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #313
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I know I'm terribly late to the party but I swear I've been reading as fast as I could. And read two books between this one and half blood prince...

Anyway, I liked the book and am actually amazed that Rowling somehow found a good way to land this plane and wrap the whole thing up decently. The last sentences were so sad to read, though. But I do feel like I've finally closed a chapter with reading these books.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #314
Refugee

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Another latecomer here. I started reading the books after unwillingly seeing Order Of The Phoenix in July. I'm now about 1/4 through The Deathly Hallows. Sadly, that's probably the most reading I've ever done in my life, but also some of the best reading.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #315
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Queen Bee
Snape went to the good side (Hogwarts, etc.) because he was all emo that Voldemort killed Lilly Potter.

Anyway, finished the book yesterday (or rather, in the night of Friday on Saturday). Was quite coincidental that, when Harry goes to the Forbidden Forest to get killed, it was about 4 AM in the book. And at my place too.

Good book.

BTW, those page numbers are all way off. The book only has 607 pages (Bloomsbury UK First Edition).