Computer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYbrowneyedgirl

Acrobat
I'd like to delete as much web content off my hard drive as possible. Stuff like sites I've visited, pictures I've looked at, etc. I know how to delete history, temporary internet files and cookies. Am I missing anything else? What are cache folders? I've always heard that everything you delete off your computer is not really deleted, that it can be restored.

Any info./help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

dipster said:
I'd like to delete as much web content off my hard drive as possible. Stuff like sites I've visited, pictures I've looked at, etc. I know how to delete history, temporary internet files and cookies. Am I missing anything else? What are cache folders? I've always heard that everything you delete off your computer is not really deleted, that it can be restored.

Any info./help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

"Cache folders" are the Temporary Internet Files. There is also a very sneaky "CONTENT.IE5" folder that is a subfolder of Temporary Internet Files that has some material in it. Also, delete stuff in the "Temp" folder.

I can get into more detail later, as long as you tell me what version of Windows you are running.

Melon

Re: Re: Computer question

melon said:

"Cache folders" are the Temporary Internet Files. There is also a very sneaky "CONTENT.IE5" folder that is a subfolder of Temporary Internet Files that has some material in it. Also, delete stuff in the "Temp" folder.

I can get into more detail later, as long as you tell me what version of Windows you are running.

Melon

I have Windows 2000 Professional Edition. I work in a small office and we are on a network. The reason I'd like to clean everything off is that I'm getting a new computer and my current computer will be going to someone else. It's not that I've looked at really bad web sites, it's just that I'd be embarrassed if anyone found out about my U2 obsession and occasionaly, I also like to look at houseplan web sites.

Thanks for your help!

Alright, well, windows is easy enough.

Find files/folders: Search for *.tmp, TEMP. Delete em.
Since youre using windows 2000 prof. I assume youre using Internet Explorer. So, on the subject of Temporary internet files. Delete everything but the folder itself, if you have windows explorer available, itll show you all the files rather than just a finite number of jpgs, gifs, and cookies. Delete them all, despite the warnings about things not functioning properly. Microsoft just sucks. Delete all your cookies too, you wont be needing those anymore.

If you can download programs onto this computer, I strongly suggest AdAware, available at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Get the RefUpdate too, so that you can find even the most recent spyware/hidden cookies and such.

Beyond that, my only other suggestion is to format the harddrive, reinstall the OS, the business package, and all the drivers for mouse and keyboard and printer and network and such. That however is time consuming, I guess it all depends on just how clean you want this drive.

Back
Top Bottom