Comet 3D/Biela (lost) Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
I think what this fundamentally comes down to, beyond just ludicrous match-ups that would get laughed at if somebody randomly started a Rejoice vs Numb thread on EYKIW, is that I don't think sudden death head-to-head rounds are a good idea.

Considering this requires many numbers of rounds as it is, with a huge number of songs, and a significant amount of time needed for each round due to the members of this online community being scattered across the world, it's difficult to create World Cup-styled rounds for literally hundreds upon hundreds of songs without this survivor taking a couple of years. So, sometimes sudden death, you know, uh, makes sense. This way, while not yielding an ideal "Top 64 Songs, In Order" style list, will be efficient enough to get the best of the best to the final rounds. And that's what we want.

coolian2 said:

Where's your sense of adventure?

I don't wanna reply to this in the thread it's in in IQ but my response is:

Sense of Adventure is what I named the fetus I had to abort the last time I used a 15 year old condom.

Screwtape2 said:
ooh, i thought they'd just be showing a dvd. now i have no clue what they're showing :scratch: and i'm too lazy to turn on the tv as i can't remember what channel vh1 classic is, and my tivo doesn't like cooperating with my receiver now that i had to get a new one :mad:

KhanadaRhodes said:
urine appreciator, i just wanted to chime in and say i think the whole march madness idea is a good one :up:

not that my opinion was required or desired, but you know.

I'm already making under the table bets on it. My George Mason pick is Teenage Wildlife.

by the way i just wanna add that i think it is really important everybody ends their posts with their initials or names. sigs are overrated people. so is that whole identification block on the left of your post. if you don't sign everything you type, how the hell am i supposed to know who is typing it?

mia

phillyfan26 said:

Considering this requires many numbers of rounds as it is, with a huge number of songs, and a significant amount of time needed for each round due to the members of this online community being scattered across the world, it's difficult to create World Cup-styled rounds for literally hundreds upon hundreds of songs without this survivor taking a couple of years. So, sometimes sudden death, you know, uh, makes sense. This way, while not yielding an ideal "Top 64 Songs, In Order" style list, will be efficient enough to get the best of the best to the final rounds. And that's what we want.

But that's not what I'm saying at all, and I don't know where you dragged World Cup style rounds from.

Why not divide your 64 songs into eight groups of eight? It avoids the sudden death issues.

KhanadaRhodes said:
ooh, i thought they'd just be showing a dvd. now i have no clue what they're showing :scratch: and i'm too lazy to turn on the tv as i can't remember what channel vh1 classic is, and my tivo doesn't like cooperating with my receiver now that i had to get a new one :mad:
no wonder i don't recognise this. i gave in and turned it on, it's brand new. i didn't know they'd recorded a new concert.

unico said:
by the way i just wanna add that i think it is really important everybody ends their posts with their initials or names. sigs are overrated people. so is that whole identification block on the left of your post. if you don't sign everything you type, how the hell am i supposed to know who is typing it?

mia
yeah i agree. should i use my initials or my name though? for now i'll use my initials.

mcd

Axver said:
But that's not what I'm saying at all, and I don't know where you dragged World Cup style rounds from.

Why not divide your 64 songs into eight groups of eight? It avoids the sudden death issues.

I had thought you'd compared it to the DI playlist groups.

What "issues" are there with sudden death?

KhanadaRhodes said:

yeah i agree. should i use my initials or my name though? for now i'll use my initials.

mcd

hmm, it is a tough call, isn't it? see my name has 3 letters, so either way requires the same amount of effort. except for the days when i forget my middle name.

mia

Screwtape2 said:
In my perfect world my George Mason is I'm Deranged. It is a crime that Outside only gets one song.

I listened to the first half of it today. It's pretty good. Not up there with most of his 70s stuff, but a good album, and a very good flow and concept.

phillyfan26 said:

I had thought you'd compared it to the DI playlist groups.

What "issues" are there with sudden death?

I compared it to DI only in the sense that in DI, we have to a point moved away from sudden death because we agree it doesn't work.

Grouping songs like in Survivor as it currently operates gives all but one song at least two chances. Basically, compare eight songs in a group of eight to eight songs in four sudden death match-ups. In the former, only one song doesn't get a second chance. In the latter, four songs are cut just like that.

unico said:
hmm, it is a tough call, isn't it? see my name has 3 letters, so either way requires the same amount of effort. except for the days when i forget my middle name.

mia
true. for me, my name is longer. but not by much. katie...mcd...both require minimal amounts of effort. i think i'll stick with mcd since they can also be used as roman numerals and the company i work for is changing its name BACK to our old roman name we used pre-merger. you know, to celebrate. or something. :nerd:

mcd

Screwtape2 said:
The one called Skins something. This isn't too bad either. When does it come out?
oh yes, skin divers. or skin diver, i dunno. it's been out for a while :lol: i think it came out in october? november? i can't remember. i don't really like the album all that much, but usually their songs sound better live anyway.

mcd

KhanadaRhodes said:
here's something only dr. dré will know/appreciate: i have just realised i hate the version of carried away on frenzy. it's too...echoey?

Really? I don't think I have a preference. I really like the song no matter what version. It should've made the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom