Comet 3D/Biela (lost) Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking about this thing mostly in terms of comparing it to March Madness, so work with me.

More or less, each album is a conference. Conferences with one song are the mid-majors and weak ones, so they will be seeded lower. The stronger conferences will get that into consideration, and the top song from a strong conference will get high consideration.

And to do this, you and I would be the "selection committee." And then we'll make LMP Billy Packer so he can bitch about the ACC (which will be played by ... Hunky Dory).

phillyfan26 said:
I've been thinking about this thing mostly in terms of comparing it to March Madness, so work with me.

More or less, each album is a conference. Conferences with one song are the mid-majors and weak ones, so they will be seeded lower. The stronger conferences will get that into consideration, and the top song from a strong conference will get high consideration.

And to do this, you and I would be the "selection committee." And then we'll make LMP Billy Packer so he can bitch about the ACC (which will be played by ... Hunky Dory).

Mike Kryzakeadksajfg would be Song for Bob Dylan then.

phillyfan26 said:

English, please.

Axver said:
So, I'm gathering by the way you're talking that these 64 songs are going into 32 head-to-head match-ups? Then the 32 winners into 16 head-to-head match-ups, and so on?

Sorry guys, but that's a daft idea.

:rolleyes:

Is there a Cricket Madness down there? This would make things much easier to explain.

Axver said:

English, please.

That's not en explanation for you, that's for Screwtape. You don't follow college basketball, so that wouldn't make sense.

In Australian terms, the idea is that we're picking 64 songs of Bowie's and putting them into a single elimination tournament. First round has 32 head-to-head match-ups. Second round has 16. Third has 8. Fourth has 4. Fifth has 2. Then the sixth is the championship.

phillyfan26 said:

I don't see how it gets any kind of worthwhile outcome. You'll end up with ridiculous match-ups.

To use U2 as an example, you'd end up with something like Rejoice vs Numb. What's even the point?

phillyfan26 said:

Okay then we just set it up ourselves on what we thought was popular. That works.

Axver said:

I don't see how it gets any kind of worthwhile outcome. You'll end up with ridiculous match-ups.

To use U2 as an example, you'd end up with something like Rejoice vs Numb. What's even the point?

But that's the beauty of it. Songs that would not normally have a chance get a shot to advance. For example, Luminous Times barely lost but it would get a shot to go far. If we did this with Pink Floyd survivor we would have a lot more songs having a chance.

Screwtape2 said:
Okay then we just set it up ourselves on what we thought was popular. That works.

Well, I don't think the sixth song of Ziggy should be higher than the first from Station to Station, for example. I think we should do seeding and then follow that up with the match-up making.

I do, incidentally, like the way you guys are running the album voting right now to get the 64 songs.

I just don't like what you do afterwards. I'm sure that could be done in a way that makes a lot more sense - though everything I can think of at the moment requires a switch at some point to voting for your least favourite, which I don't think is such a good move.

Axver said:

And that doesn't happen in other survivors?

Screwtape2 said:

But that's the beauty of it. Songs that would not normally have a chance get a shot to advance.

Yeah, but that happens in namkcuR's Radiohead Survivor format too, and it avoids ridiculous and essentially meaningless match-ups.

That's my problem. Two songs, head-to-head, is never as good as chronologically organised groups.

And while we're at it, I'll create locations for the match-ups just like the NCAA Tourney has, only they'll be Bowie related.

The Final Four has to be in Berlin, I imagine.

phillyfan26 said:

And that doesn't happen in other survivors?

I don't think to quite the same extreme. At least it has some logic to whatever bizarre rounds may occur. This is just the luck of the seeding.

Axver said:

Yeah, but that happens in namkcuR's Radiohead Survivor format too, and it avoids ridiculous and essentially meaningless match-ups.

That's my problem. Two songs, head-to-head, is never as good as chronologically organised groups.

But more people get exposed to his music and in the end it is a celebration of his genius and creativity. Two songs show off how inventive he really is.

Here's a wildly simplified example of what I'm getting at here. Basically, what makes more sense:

1980-83:
- I Will Follow
- Twilight
- The Electric Co.
- Gloria
- Rejoice
- Tomorrow
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- New Year's Day
- Like A Song

1984-89
- A Sort Of Homecoming
- The Unforgettable Fire
- Bad
- Streets
- WOWY
- One Tree Hill
- Heartland
- God Part II
- All I Want Is You

OR

I Will Follow vs ASOH
Twilight vs The Unforgettable Fire
The Electric Co. vs Bad
Gloria vs Streets
Rejoice vs WOWY
Tomorrow vs OTH
Sunday Bloody Sunday vs Heartland
New Year's Day vs God Part II
Like A Song vs All I Want Is You

Some of those match-ups are just baffling. I think the grouped version is far more logical and there is more basis for comparison between songs in the voting. I mean, SBS vs Heartland?! The Electric Co. vs Bad?!

Screwtape2 said:

But more people get exposed to his music and in the end it is a celebration of his genius and creativity. Two songs show off how inventive he really is.

And how does that achieve it any better than namkcuR's frankly far more logical seeded system does?

Axver said:
Here's a wildly simplified example of what I'm getting at here. Basically, what makes more sense:

1980-83:
- I Will Follow
- Twilight
- The Electric Co.
- Gloria
- Rejoice
- Tomorrow
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- New Year's Day
- Like A Song

1984-89
- A Sort Of Homecoming
- The Unforgettable Fire
- Bad
- Streets
- WOWY
- One Tree Hill
- Heartland
- God Part II
- All I Want Is You

OR

I Will Follow vs ASOH
Twilight vs The Unforgettable Fire
The Electric Co. vs Bad
Gloria vs Streets
Rejoice vs WOWY
Tomorrow vs OTH
Sunday Bloody Sunday vs Heartland
New Year's Day vs God Part II
Like A Song vs All I Want Is You

Some of those match-ups are just baffling. I think the grouped version is far more logical and there is more basis for comparison between songs in the voting. I mean, SBS vs Heartland?! The Electric Co. vs Bad?!

Those would be great matchups. It make everyone appreciate who different U2's best can sound like. It would be a real test of what is closest to everyone's heart. Those are damn fine matchups.

Axver said:

And how does that achieve it any better than namkcuR's frankly far more logical seeded system does?

Because when you have odd matchups you can appreciate how different these songs are and locate what it is about Bowie that one truly loves. The seeding will give chances to song that wouldn't normally have a chance. You'll see.

Screwtape2 said:

Those would be great matchups. It make everyone appreciate who different U2's best can sound like. It would be a real test of what is closest to everyone's heart. Those are damn fine matchups.

See, I think the only comparisons that make any sense there are Tomorrow vs OTH and NYD vs God Part II. The others are essentially meaningless "apples vs oranges" rounds that produce nonsense results.

Look at the 1980-83 section. All of those songs can be compared to each other. They fit together. They all belong in that context. Meanwhile, if you look at the match-ups, there isn't even any context. It's just a bunch of pointless song comparisons that somebody could have pulled out of their arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom