Coldplay X&Y: Best U2 record U2 never made. I miss U2 - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2005, 06:54 AM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by datatyme
In fact, I was willing to risk hell to listen to U2 back then. The southern Baptist church I went to taught that listening to music which didn't glorify Jesus in every song was a sin -- U2 was my escape route from organized religion.
Dude, Bono is probably higher on God's list than most baptist preachers.

Quote:
Originally posted by datatyme
Don't forget, 20 years ago, some said that U2 copied The Police, and that Bono sounded like Sting. Has anyone said that in 15 years?

Really? I'm older than you and I don't remember any police comparisons or sting comparisons. In fact, I thought that sting began copying bono's look/image around 1987 during the "nothing like the sun" period.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:00 AM   #167
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

here's the thing after listening to coldplay some more:

they don't REALLY sound like u2; I only hear it hear and there in a guitar lick now and then. but then, I could say than about 50 or 60 bands out today. the guitar is the most obvious similarity.

the bass sounds like a bass, and it sounds good.

the drums don't sound like larry....however, the drummer has got to get off of the "clocks" drum pattern; he uses it alot. stop.

chris martin.......there are no comparisons to bono. if he didn't make them himself, I'd probably never even think of it. he doesn't sound like him in the least.
really, he owes ALOT to thom yorke and so does the rest of the band. they really are much closer sounding to radiohead ala "the bends" than anything u2 has done.

imo.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #168
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:06 PM
I'd actually say they sound more like current Radiohead than Bends era Radiohead, minue the electronica stuff of course. Johnny Greenwood was an absolute animal with his guitar on the Bends.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
I'd actually say they sound more like current Radiohead than Bends era Radiohead, minue the electronica stuff of course. Johnny Greenwood was an absolute animal with his guitar on the Bends.

yeah, I was thinking more of the acoustic guitar stuff though.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:44 AM   #170
The Fly

What was the magazine that just had Chris Martin quoted in saying something like:

"We want to write the best songs and take out U2"? What a jackass thing to say.

Also, the new video (speed of sound) looks like a Pop ripoff with the video screens.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:18 AM   #171
Refugee

Local Time: 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevateandy
What was the magazine that just had Chris Martin quoted in saying something like:

"We want to write the best songs and take out U2"? What a jackass thing to say.

I think most people here conveniently forget that Bono has always made these kind of comments. He even stated that October was going to top Sergeant Peppers. Ambition is great. Coldplay love U2, but healthy competition is a good thing. U2 and REM vocally competed with each other in the early '90's and both bands made great albums.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:06 AM   #172
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:06 PM
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, but today's New York Times completely craps all over Coldplay, calling them "the decade's most insufferable band". Ouch!!

Strange, but for some reason, that makes me smile.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:59 AM   #173
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:06 AM
Coldplay isn't U2. Coldplay isn't Radiohead.

But boy some of the new Coldplay songs are blowing me away.

White Shadows, Fix You, Talk, Twisted Logic. They all have a WOW factor of One million.

A band who puts the pursuit of brilliance over anything and they certainly achieve that brilliance. I admire that.

Personally, I love Martin's vocal, butt I can understand that it is a voice that one may not be able to develop an appreciation for.

For me, it is mindblowing, and so is X and Y.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:18 AM   #174
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:06 PM
I watched the live thing on MTV2 last night and I liked it. I don't think Coldplay has the power to ever induce a rabid level of fanship in me, maybe because Chris Martin just isn't edgy enough or his voice and stage presence don't excite me or whatever, but those were good songs I heard last night.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:55 AM   #175
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I watched the live thing on MTV2 last night and I liked it. I don't think Coldplay has the power to ever induce a rabid level of fanship in me, maybe because Chris Martin just isn't edgy enough or his voice and stage presence don't excite me or whatever, but those were good songs I heard last night.

I watched this last night too and I thought it was pretty good. I liked the songs better played live than the album versions I heard. They played "What if" and then later when they played "Fix You" I thought they were playing the same song again , the two songs are very similar.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:01 AM   #176
ONE
love, blood, life

"X & Y" is enjoyable, but it doesn't blow me away. But when I'm in the mood to listen to Coldplay, it usually means I'm in the mood to listen to something I identify as "mainstream." They do mainstream music pretty well, considering I have a general disdain for anything "mainstream."

Melon
Old 06-06-2005, 11:57 AM   #177
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
I will stick to listening to Parachutes.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #178
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by dipster

I watched this last night too and I thought it was pretty good. I liked the songs better played live than the album versions I heard. They played "What if" and then later when they played "Fix You" I thought they were playing the same song again , the two songs are very similar.
They both start off slow and then take off around the halfway point. So they are stylistically similar but sound nothing at all alike.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:29 PM   #179
War Child

On first listen, it sounds intriguing: the Edge-like guitars, the soaring choruses, etc. but repeated listens reveals the huge cracks: the extremely banal and cliche ridden lyrics (as deep and original as 5th grade poetry - how can they be this bad?), the repetitive nature of the arrangements (every song with heavy synths, falsetto, and guitar ripped off from The Edge).

It's basically soft-core indie rock drained of any color or personality. perfect for washing dishes to....and soon to be heard in every department store and soccer-mom SUV in the country. everything sounds so pristine and stylish, but it just left me cold and bored.

Coldplay might sell more albums than this U2 this year, and be the critics' darlings, but, from an artistic standpoint, they will never reach U2.

By the third album, U2 were writing songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, etc.

Martin is writing songs like "Fix You," with shit lyrics as followsthis is not even the worst of it actually):

when you try your best but you don't succeed
when you get what you want but not what you need
when you feel so tired but you can't sleep
stuck in reverse

and the tears come streaming down your face
when you lose something you can't replace
when you love someone but it goes to waste
could it be worse?

lights will guide you home
and ignite your bones
and i will try to fix you

high up above or down below
when you're too in love to let it go
but if you'll never try, you'll never know
just what you're worth

and ignite your bones

So, Bono, don't worry....your band's crown will not be taken away by the likes of Martin. Not with the crap he is writing.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:55 PM   #180
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by purpleblackeye
On first listen, it sounds intriguing: the Edge-like guitars, the soaring choruses, etc. but repeated listens reveals the huge cracks: the extremely banal and cliche ridden lyrics (as deep and original as 5th grade poetry - how can they be this bad?), the repetitive nature of the arrangements (every song with heavy synths, falsetto, and guitar ripped off from The Edge).

It's basically soft-core indie rock drained of any color or personality. perfect for washing dishes to....and soon to be heard in every department store and soccer-mom SUV in the country. everything sounds so pristine and stylish, but it just left me cold and bored.

Coldplay might sell more albums than this U2 this year, and be the critics' darlings, but, from an artistic standpoint, they will never reach U2.

By the third album, U2 were writing songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, etc.

Martin is writing songs like "Fix You," with shit lyrics as followsthis is not even the worst of it actually):

when you try your best but you don't succeed
when you get what you want but not what you need
when you feel so tired but you can't sleep
stuck in reverse

and the tears come streaming down your face
when you lose something you can't replace
when you love someone but it goes to waste
could it be worse?

and ignite your bones

high up above or down below
when you're too in love to let it go
but if you'll never try, you'll never know
just what you're worth

and ignite your bones

So, Bono, don't worry....your band's crown will not be taken away by the likes of Martin. Not with the crap he is writing.
The lyrics to Fix You seem very cliche but he is singing about his daughter and I think the extreme simplicity is done on purpose. I believe it is actually a very powerful song emotionally. Bono has been striving to write more emotional, simplistic lyrics with the last two albums but has been unable to write anything this powerful, with the possible exception of Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own.

Tags
coldplay