Best of REM 1988-2003 is absolutely atrocious - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2007, 11:10 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:44 PM
I really like it, I just wish they had a REM collection of all their hits from all the years. Great collection but they didn't include "It's the End of the World as We Know it," because it was prior to 1988.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:58 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:14 AM
I don't understand why it doesn't include their entire history. Their best stuff was before 1988, IMO.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

You guys realize that they released a best of compilation for their earlier years last year, right?

It's called 'And I Feel Fine....The Best Of The I.R.S. Years 1982-1987'.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:32 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
You guys realize that they released a best of compilation for their earlier years last year, right?

It's called 'And I Feel Fine....The Best Of The I.R.S. Years 1982-1987'.

I have both compilations. I like them, although I must admit as well that there are clearly some songs missing from the second one.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:18 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Hey, that's my version of the compilation you're talking about!

Old 09-09-2007, 05:02 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:44 AM
The compilation did the job commercially, but yeah it is lacking (not as much as U2:90-00 though).

Animal and Bad Day are good tunes.

Reno should be on there.....ripper of a tune.

But not Nightswimming, Country Feedback.

Kenneth is arguably REM's best song post-Out Of Time.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:39 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
I don't understand why it doesn't include their entire history. Their best stuff was before 1988, IMO.
R.E.M. signed to another label (Warner Brothers) in 1988. Hence this compilation starting in 1988 and the other one (the I.R.S. years one) covering the period 1982-1987.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #23
45:33

Local Time: 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by powerhour24
Oh and What's The Frequency, Kenneth is an amazing song...how the hell do you find it annoying?
The vocal... combined with that bloody ringing guitar... Horrible.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:10 AM   #24
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:44 AM
Oh, come now, What's The Frequency has some of the best sounding guitar in any REM song. I find it very addictive.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #25
War Child

I also think that Kenneth is one of the best tunes.
That reversed guitar solo is just

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. I just to listen alot to Monster , one of their best albums.
Circus Envy and You are really underated.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:14 AM
Quote:
R.E.M. signed to another label (Warner Brothers) in 1988. Hence this compilation starting in 1988 and the other one (the I.R.S. years one) covering the period 1982-1987.
Oh, whoops, I forgot about that. I think I even have the IRS Years hanging about somewhere.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:33 AM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
The vocal... combined with that bloody ringing guitar... Horrible.
The vocal?????? Stipe is only one of the greatest vocalists ever! And that guitar is, like Axver said, dizzyingly addictive! I love Monster! It may even be in my Top 3 REM albums. To each their own I guess.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Though I loved both Automatic and Out of Time, when I first heard the opening of Kenneth on the radio when they debuted the single, I was overcome with joy (and relief). That song, that album, and that tour kicked some serious ass.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:21 AM   #29
War Child

Local Time: 05:44 PM
'Reno' was a hit single outside of the US. Top 20 (?) in the UK, and top 30 in Australia... It's a top song and deserves to be there. I'm more annoyed by the lack of 'Lotus'... but oh well.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:44 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Lotus makes me want to cut off my ears. Its video makes me want to pull my eyes out with toothpicks.

I think the newer (older) compilation covered the IRS years pretty well. No complaints as it was the best possible way to represent R.E.M.'s wide range of groundbreaking recordings, even if it wasn't the exact Top 21. Although it's kind of annoying not having "Harborcoat" (my absolute favorite).

Because it says "Best Of", I'm not going to go digging through chart history for hits. Let's just try to figure out what a damn R.E.M. compilation of the era SHOULD look like. Honestly, the real problem is that any single cd-set of this era will fall short because there's far too much to cherry pick from.

Let's start with Green. That album's cool for about a second. If you hadn't hear the IRS stuff, it'd seem like a forty minute life changing epiphany, but instead it feels like watered down versions of what they'd already done. "Stand" is practically "Shiny Happy People" territory...I even think the latter is less corny, but neither certainly deserves to be here. "Orange Crush" is a concert staple, a historical piece from right around the time Alternative stations started popping up everywhere in the US, etc.....I don't even know if it's a Top 50 R.E.M. track, but it certainly warrants inclusion. I'd almost desire for "World Leader Pretend" to be included (mostly because it would make Green useless), but there's just not enough space.

Out Of Time was pretty overrated at the time and underrated now. "Losing My Religion" is a no-brainer even if overkill has lessened it's impact by about, I dunno, 100%? "Me In Honey" is pretty class, so are a few others, but "Country Feedback" is a damn standout that should have been relegated to the following album where it would've fit in much better (And made the purchase of this one less enticing)...

The next record is one of six undisputed masterpieces from this band and the only one on Warner Bros. You could chuck any four tracks from it onto a disc and they'd be stronger than the other selections, but I think Mike got it right.

Except, he needed to add "Drive"...what? Five choices from a single album in a compilation that's supposed to span seven? Remember that this is a BEST OF.

Monster is everyone's favorite R.E.M. album when they're like ten. Then it's the worst when your emotions develop beyond warm feelings for Mac and Cheese. "Kenneth" can't be ignored along with "I Don't Sleep, I Dream"...the latter could have been slightly rearranged, chucked on New Adventures and it would receive much more love.

New Adventures was the last gasp of breath the band had before they died in the desert that it took place in. I'd go with "How The West Was Won", "Bittersweet Me", "Undertow" and "Electrolite"....loves me some Patti Smith, but "E-Bow" isn't as great as it's said to be. Don't get me wrong, flawless track, but not of the upper echelon of classics from this era. And there's many, even if most of the albums suffer from filler.

Except there's not too many on Up....you'd think a band capable of "Daysleeper" or the shameless Brian Wilson rip that is "At My Most Beautiful" would be also capable of creating an album that doesn't put me in a coma fifteen minutes in.

And the one after was nearly as boring, but also featured two fine singles. You know what they are.

1. Orange Crush
2. Losing My Religion
3. Everybody Hurts
4. Drive
5. What's The Frequency, Kenneth?
6. Imitation Of Life
7. At My Most Beautiful
8. How The West Was Won And Where It Got Us
9. Bittersweet Me
10. Undertow
11. Electrolite
12. I Don't Sleep, I Dream