Arriving somewhere... but not here - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2008, 06:22 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:15 AM
Listened to Arriving Somewhere on this thread's recommendation, my first ever lsiening to a Porcupine Tree track. Pretty stunning song, I adore the vocal and the chiming guitar reminds me of Gin Blossoms, though I doubt I could ever warm to that wee passage of metal, kinda ruins the atmosphere for me.

Gonna listen to Lazarus now, see if it lives up to this thread's hype. What others songs are regaarded as PT classic?

Old 01-19-2008, 11:17 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

Which one has more atmospheric soundscapes like Arriving Somewhere?

You know, I was thinking about it this morning... I know the reason why I'm head over heels in love with this song. It reminds me of the Unforgettable Fire... the song. Both are atmospheric, have a steady beat throughout and are just gorgeous!
Neither In Absentia nor Deadwing have many pieces that I would categorize as atmospheric. Arriving Somewhere happens to be the longest song between both of those albums and therefore is expansive enough to have atmospheric qualities. A couple of songs come close, such as Gravity Eyelids, but it's not on the level as Arriving Somewhere. The closing song on In Absentia, Collapse The Light Into Earth, is absolutey stunning, however.

As a whole, I prefer In Absentia over Deadwing, although they are both pretty damn even.

The newest album, Fear Of A Blank Planet, is excellent, and contains another long song in the same vein as Arriving Somewhere. It is called Anesthetize. It also has a build up beginning that really takes off in the middle portion. But the best part is the last five minutes or so. They harken back to their old days when they sounded like Pink Floyd...

Old 01-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
Listened to Arriving Somewhere on this thread's recommendation, my first ever lsiening to a Porcupine Tree track. Pretty stunning song, I adore the vocal and the chiming guitar reminds me of Gin Blossoms, though I doubt I could ever warm to that wee passage of metal, kinda ruins the atmosphere for me.

Gonna listen to Lazarus now, see if it lives up to this thread's hype. What others songs are regaarded as PT classic?
Reminds you of the Gin Blossoms? Not even close.

Lazarus should be more your cup of tea.

I'm thinking you should check out the Stupid Dream album, which was made before any metal influences began to creep into their music. It's probably their most accessible album from a casual listener's perspective. It's got excellent numbers such as Even Less, Piano Lessons, and Stranger By The Minute.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
The closing song on In Absentia, Collapse The Light Into Earth, is absolutey stunning, however.
On my copy, that's the third to last song. There are two songs after it called Drown With Me and Chloroform.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Ah, you have the special edition version with the bonus tracks.

Drown With Me in particular is excellent.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:15 PM
Woohoo!!!! AutoTune and pinch harmonics and power chords oh my! Revolutionary!
Old 01-20-2008, 02:26 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Old 01-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #23
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:15 PM
If you like Arriving Somewhere and Pink Floyd, chances are The Sky Moves Sideways is an album you should really listen to. More recently, I'd probably give the nod to Deadwing - I'd say other songs on that album have similarly strong atmospheres, e.g. the title track and the closer.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-21-2008, 10:10 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know if I'd agree about the title track being "atmospheric", but I did forget about Glass Arm Shattering at the end. Beautiful tune.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:15 PM
Can someone link me to a couple tracks from these guys? I'd like to give 'em a chance, considering all the musically sane people on here that praise them
Old 01-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #26
The Fly

I think Deadwing is more atmospheric than In Abstentia. I was just listening to In Abstentia on my way to work this morning and I find I skip a few tracks here and there on that album. But I never skip any tracks on Deadwing.

Someone had mentioned that Porcupine Tree sounds a bit like Unforgetable Fire U2. I think that is very true. I swear Glass Arm Shattering could be a U2 song. Anyway, I love "Arriving Somewhere...". Its just a great song!!

I don't know that I would recommend Stupid Dream as a place to start for their atmospheric stuff. Its a good album, but a bit more poppy - I think.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

My recommendation for Stupid Dream wasn't for atmospheric stuff. It was based on intedomine's comments regarding the dislike for the progressive death metal sequence in Arriving Somewhere, and how Stupid Dream might be a better album for him to check out.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #28
The Fly

^
Sorry Phanan,

I just read the replies to this topic quickly at work to get the gist. I always try to help out whenever there are Porcupine Tree questions.