Another NFL Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got Philk? said:

Can I come? :wink:

Messner's on Southport! Be there! I believe zoney and I ate there when he visited a while back. Food is fantastic.

Anyway, I did think that Tillman looked a little cautious. The defense was hot and cold yesterday. I'm worried about the run up the middle and the short pass. I'd like to see Todd Johnson in more instead of Chris Harris. The Bears kick off coverage was suspect as well.

That all being said, I can't wait for Sunday! :hyper:

WildHoneyAlways said:

Messner's on Southport! Be there! I believe zoney and I ate there when he visited a while back. Food is fantastic.

Anyway, I did think that Tillman looked a little cautious. The defense was hot and cold yesterday. I'm worried about the run up the middle and the short pass. I'd like to see Todd Johnson in more instead of Chris Harris. The Bears kick off coverage was suspect as well.

That all being said, I can't wait for Sunday! :hyper:

I agree with everything you said. It almost seems like when we commit to the pass, we commit deep, but don't have our bases covered on the short dump passes at all. And they gain 8-9 yards every time. And then I nearly have a heart attack! They can't do this to me much longer.

And Deuce looked great against Philly. We will need to focus a great deal on him. I really do think we will win this game though. I think that first game was the "hump" we had to get over so to speak. It's all uphill from here boys! Or ladies...:sexywink:

Man the chargers got Robbed!!!! The officials call unsportsman like conduct on the Chargers, but when the patriots did the same to Rivers, no call.

Try this and see what you get:

http://playoffs.nfl.com/bandwagon/

I did it and picked the Colts, and it's supposed to find you another team to root for, but it kept going and going and finally froze on Tom Coughlin's head, then started over again but never finished. I tried again picking the 49ers since they're not in the playoffs but it did the same thing. I guess it doesn't have another team for me. I wonder if it would work for anybody else. Somebody please try it just for fun.

It worked for me. I'm supposed to root for the Colts...:tsk: Tom Brady baby. that's all I have to say. Go Blue!

It asked me, "where would you rather go, the zoo? or a museum? I said zoo, he said, "What are you, 8? :lol:

YES! I did it again and it said the Patriots!

Last edited:
Thoughts on this weekend:

- Man, did I ever call the Indy-Baltimore game or what? "Indy doesn't stand a chance, unless this game somehow turns into a field goal battle."
- Not going for it on 4th and 15 in the playoffs with 2 minutes left and down by 3 is unacceptable. It's the PLAYOFFS. I don't think Andy Reid realized that. This is the first time I've ever wanted him outright fired. You don't give the ball to a team that's been running all over your defense all game and bet you can stop them. Even Art Shell isn't that stupid.
- Can we PLEASE shut up about Hurrican Katrina during Saints games? It was bad, and the team winning is good...we realize this. You dont have to remind us every time Drew Brees takes a snap: "And Brees throws the ball through the end zone, oh what a fantastic story for New Orleans!"
- A Pats-Colts AFC Championship and a Bears-Saints is the very last thing I was hoping for. Now we won't hear anything but Peyton and Katrina and Rex Grossman for the rest of the week. :yuck:
- That being said, I have no idea who to root for from now on. I can't cheer for the Patriots - I'd stop watching football before that would ever happen. But I can't root for Peyton Manning in the playoffs. That's like rooting for Barbaro to win the 2007 Kentucky Derby. Cheering for the Bears is no good either, since they don't deserve to be here in the first place (a QB has never been more aptly named for his playing style than Grossman). And I want New Orleans to lose so I don't have to keep hearing about god-damned Katrina.

This is like picking your favourite infectious disease and rooting for a pandemic.

So, I'm going to hop on the Saints bandwagon, simply because it's the lesser of all evils, and only based on the fact that keeping New Orleans in the national eye might FINALLY get something done in that city to help it rebuild. I know I'm going to have to listen to "this is such great healing for the city of New Orleans" bullshit for the next three weeks, but at least somebody might pay attention to the Lower 9th Ward if they stay in.

But probably not. Kanye West was right, after all.

Think about it, these are our possible superbowl matchups:
- Chicago vs. Indy
- Chicago vs. New England
- New Orleans vs. Indy
- New Orleans vs. New England

God damn, these playoffs suck. :|

ETA: and now I have to change my avatar, three weeks before I was planning on it. :sad:

Originally posted by Hewson
Have we learned nothing from history? The team and the city already planned the Superbowl parade! Are you shitting me? They actually had said it makes sense for the team to fly home after the game and have the parade on Monday the 5th in the afternoon. Before stepping on the field. That disresepects not just the Pats, but the Colts, Bears and Saints as well. Smart move.

That was stupid, and bad luck! Never count your chickens or count on anything in football. Seattle probably ruined what luck they had when one of the players said because of the Romo fumble they were a 'team of destiny.' You NEVER say it. You can think it, you can feel it, but the minute you say it, it's over.

I don't think any of the teams left are 'of destiny', they all got there because they played hard and deserved it. (I do like teams of destiny too though!)

DaveC said:
Cheering for the Bears is no good either, since they don't deserve to be here in the first place (a QB has never been more aptly named for his playing style than Grossman).

For the love of crap the team was 13-3! Now 14 -3. You, a Philly fan of all people should not be talking about a team that shoudn't be in the playoffs. But you know what, obviously BOTH teams deserved to be in the playoffs since they were both there at the end of the season.

I just can't help be think this every time I hear someone bashing Grossman. This was his first full season. He was essentially a rookie this year. If any other rookie or even 2nd year qb had a season like his, we would be praising him and saying..."Oh, he's the next (insert qb great here)!"

How come nobody's saying anything about the Chargers not deserving to be in the playoffs? Seems to me like they would be the biggest disappointment of the year. Yet, all I hear is "Grossman will fail." or "The Bears are a joke".

Look who's still playing. Not the pre-season picks of the Panthers, Giants, or even the Chargers. Nope, but the Bears are still there.

Hewson said:

ftw!

i really see the Pats-Colts game being the "Wrath of Khan" game.

Sure Indy's a more complete team than New England (Khan can essentially kill a 50 year old Kirk)

But the Pats have been in this position before, and have owned the Colts in the playoffs before (Kirk ships Khan out to Ceti Alpha V)

But now the game is in Indy and in a dome, which could spell disaster for Brady (the new Reliant vs. the aging Enterprise)

I see this game going to the end, and the Pats win because of Brady's experience and composure, while the Colts lose because they have Peyton Manning and he's going to be late for a commercial taping.

Justin24 said:
Man the chargers got Robbed!!!! The officials call unsportsman like conduct on the Chargers, but when the patriots did the same to Rivers, no call.

i hope youre not pointing to the time where rivers spiked the ball and got touched and proceeded to fall back on his ass 30 yards back. he barely had a hand landed on him and completely tried to fake a call to get 15 extra yards.

LemonMacPhisto said:

But now the game is in Indy and in a dome, which could spell disaster for Brady (the new Reliant vs. the aging Enterprise)

Well you know how many times Brady has lost in a dome before?! Umm...never.

I enjoyed this weekend. With the exception of the Balty/Indy game I thought it was just fun to be a football fan. I think if a team scored nothing but field goals in a playoff game they should be disqualified for next season. That game was lame.

DaveC said:
Thoughts on this weekend:

-Cheering for the Bears is no good either, since they don't deserve to be here in the first place (a QB has never been more aptly named for his playing style than Grossman).

So because Grossman is mediocre everyone should ignore the play of Jones, Benson, Tommie Harris, Robbie Gould, Devin Hester, hell, special teams in general, Mark Anderson, Urlacher, and even Berrian and the defense's ability to create turnovers? Whatever. I am in no way saying the Bear are perfect but to say they don't deserve to be in the playoffs is just asinine.

Think about it, these are our possible superbowl matchups:
- Chicago vs. Indy
- Chicago vs. New England
- New Orleans vs. Indy
- New Orleans vs. New England

God damn, these playoffs suck. :|

Bitter much?

And I happen to think the second option would make for a great rematch. :wink:

StlElevation said:

i hope youre not pointing to the time where rivers spiked the ball and got touched and proceeded to fall back on his ass 30 yards back. he barely had a hand landed on him and completely tried to fake a call to get 15 extra yards.

That was the worst fake I'd seen since the UNC Tarheels basketball players of the Michael Jordan era used to do it all the time to draw charging calls (and they usually got them :mad: )

Guess it must be just my computer then. Or they know I don't really want to change teams. Anyway it's kind of lame anyway. Thanks to y'all for trying it.

LemonMacPhisto said:

because they have Peyton Manning and he's going to be late for a commercial taping.

If he loses again this time, I don't think anyone's going to want him to do any more commercials.

"A large luxurious mustache surrounding ones mouth is called a mustachio" That was fun although I got the Colts as well:angry:

I am sure this is another NFL sceme to get people to root for Indy:eyebrow:

Mustachio....HA

U2Kitten said:

If he loses again this time, I don't think anyone's going to want him to do any more commercials.

He could not possible be in any more...there is no more ad space left in the breaks that he is not in. "DECAF....DECAF..."

Words cannot express how sad it is to be a Chargers fan today. :sad: Once again, the Chargers figured out a way to break my heart. The worst part about it is that we really were the better team, we beat ourselves with so many stupid mistakes. I was surprised that the Patriots did not look as good as expected. But it wasn't Marty's fault - honestly, the players made so many dumb mistakes, it was the players fault.

Oh, and I am sorry to all the Pats fans on this board, but your representatives at the game yesterday were a bunch of classless, foul mouthed pieces of crap. After the second time I went to the ladies room and heard a bunch of Pats women call the Chargers fans a bunch of "cun%$, bitches, etc", for no reason other than the fact we were waiting in line to use the bathroom, I totally lost all respect for the Pats fans. This was after having to sit by a bunch of Pats fans who were insanely drunk and obnoxious, and who were eventually thrown out of the game for staring a fight with a woman (these were men Pats fans who started a fight and tried to hit a woman, I kid you not).

The Pats fans made the Raiders fans look like they had gone to charm school. I have been to hundreds of NFL games and never seen fans like this. Even against the Raiders, whose fans are known to lack class. It was unbelievable.

But, when I saw what the Pats players did after they won the game, I kind of understood it all - the no class thing starts at the top and trickles down, apparently.

Sad, because I am sure the majority of the Pats fans do no behave like this. It sucks when you are a sore loser, but its even worse when you are a sore winner.

Good luck to all the other teams still in it!! I hope we see a Colts-Saints matchup at the end.

Kinsa said:

But, when I saw what the Pats players did after they won the game, I kind of understood it all - the no class thing starts at the top and trickles down, apparently.

Being in SD, obviously you are aware of the comments made by your team, most specifically Mr. Merriman over the past 2 weeks, correct.

Now put 2 and 2 together and you'll see why some Pats players did the Merriman Roid dance after beating the Chargers and rendering that juiced up loudmouth ineffective for 60 minutes.

Hewson said:
Being in SD, obviously you are aware of the comments made by your team, most specifically Mr. Merriman over the past 2 weeks, correct.

Now put 2 and 2 together and you'll see why some Pats players did the Merriman Roid dance after beating the Chargers and rendering that juiced up loudmouth ineffective for 60 minutes.

Honestly, if you are defending the Pats and their actions, then you are exactly the kind of Pats fan I am talking about. If you HONESLTY think the Pats looked good yesterday, then good luck to you.

Last edited:
Kinsa said:

So does Merriman have that dance copyrighted or something? Why would anyone be offended over some people making fun of a stupid dance to begin with?

Kinsa said:

Honestly, if you are defending the Pats and their actions, then you are exactly the kind of Pats fan I am talking about. If you HONESLTY think the Pats looked good yesterday, then good luck to you.
Great assumption to make from 3,000 miles away over a computer screen.
Whats that say about you?

Kinsa said:

But it's okay when Merriman is a jagoff?
I'm just checking because his behavior has been suspect for quite some time.

ljclary said:

Well you know how many times Brady has lost in a dome before?! Umm...never.

I enjoyed this weekend. With the exception of the Balty/Indy game I thought it was just fun to be a football fan. I think if a team scored nothing but field goals in a playoff game they should be disqualified for next season. That game was lame.

Yeah, forgot to change that, my bad.

Last edited:
WildHoneyAlways said:

But it's okay when Merriman is a jagoff?
I'm just checking because his behavior has been suspect for quite some time.
Thats a great point... I guess San Diegans and Charger players don't like the taste of their own medicine (which must be sour graped flavor).

What kind of celebration do we think Merriman would have done had the Chargers won?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom