American Idol 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is that ridiculous getup Sanjaya is wearing? Send him home for fashion crimes. :tsk:

I have to say, Phil almost made me like that song "Missing You."

Almost.

What was that song that Chris (or as I like to think of him, Sluggo Timberlake) sang?

Hmm, Sundance in the final slot. I'm waiting to be impressed.

I love how the judges like to put the singers back in their boxes. "Man, I wish you would do you beatbox thing." "I miss the crooner Nick with the smokey voice." "Where's the bluesy Sundance?"

I realize that might be what they do best, but it cracks me up the way they sometimes want the singers to try something new, lest they get boring, but as soon as they do, they want to shove them back into their little boxes.

Singers! STAY IN YOUR BOX!

JCOSTER said:
He made me laugh when he said, "I luv puppeeees.":laugh:

:lmao:

Same here. Yes, Simon was mean, but you have to admit it was funny when he said that.

I was on both sides of the issue here. Yes, it was nice to have a dedication, but American Idol might not be the place to do that when your life is on the line and when you should be belting out songs. In all honesty that was a very weak song he did. There were others that did a much better job than him. There's a time and a place for ballads/dedications, and that wasn't the time.

Thank the Lord I missed the first hour! Dateline Predator was a lot more interesting. :lol:

But tomorrow night, I will watch all the women. :up:

I like this guy :drool:

nicholas_pedro.jpg

:lmao:

Thought the guys were better this week than last. Of course, that's not necessarily saying much.

Still liked Blake and Chris. Sundance was much better than last week and picked a great song to do. Liked Chris too. But I think Sanjaya's performance was :yuck: and Brandon's was very weak & boring (Time After Time).

AI Recaps-February 27th
Top 10 Guys

Ryan claims it’s personal tonight. The guys are probably licking their wounds after being beat by a bunch of girls last week, and they need to bring it.

But first there is a bit of business to attend to. AI decides to claim Jennifer Hudson as one of their own, and congratulates her for her Oscar win. Hmm, is Taylor going to have to broker peace in the Middle East to get some recognition from the powers that be?

Tonight’s theme is Hallmark card, and the guys are dedicating songs to the people who inspire them.

Phil Stacey (Missing You)-Phil dedicates this song to his command unit. Well, we all know that dedicating this song to his wife, the woman who gave birth to his child while he was auditioning for AI is asking way too much. I’m not impressed with Phil’s interpretation of this song. Paula claims that people love his tone, but I’m not a fan. He sounds too guttural to me, like he’s singing from the back of his throat. Still, he gets a tongue bath from the judges.

Jared Cotter (Let’s Get it On)-Jared dedicates Marvin Gaye’s iconic baby-makin’ song to his parents. That skeeves me out so much that I can’t even pay attention to his performance. However, I find his voice too sharp in parts, and Simon is spot on. Jared’s performance is very “Love Boat.” He really does come across like cruise ship entertainment.

Sanjaya Malakar (Steppin’ Out)-Sanjaya dedicates this song to his late grandfather. And he’s obviously wearing grandpa’s favorite hat. Sanjaya is still too hesitant and nervous on stage. Paula uses 374 words to say she doesn’t like Sanjaya’s performance. As talented as he is, he’s just too unready for this show. However, due to the lightening-fast text messaging fingers of today’s tweeners, I wouldn’t be too surprised if Sanjaya stays. The pages of Tiger Beat always have a place for non-threatening, non-sexual cute boys.

Chris Sligh (Trouble)-Chris dedicates his performance to his wife. Remember when Taylor sang this song last year? Yeah, good times, good times. Chris sounds wonderful and I really liked his performance. Other than rushing in some parts, Chris’ voice was top notch. And apparently he did not refer to his “Book of Snark” before he performed; he didn’t make a snippy joke at Simon’s expense.

Nick Pedro (Fever)-In lieu of being home for Valentine’s Day, Nick sings this song to his girlfriend. He also boy bands this Peggy Lee classic for all it’s worth. Vote for Pedro? Is that saying even relevant anymore?

Blake (Virtual Insanity)-Once again, Blake sings outside the AI box and chooses a Jamiroquoi song. Though I’m not a fan of the dancing and hand gestures, I really liked his performance and how different it was from last week, especially with the scatting/beat boxing. Blake proves he can sing different genres of music. He’s going to be interesting to watch during the theme weeks.

Chris Richardson (Geek in the Pink)-Chris dedicates this song to his grandmother, aka Big Mama. I’m rather put off by the suggestive songs the contestants are dedicating to their parents and grandmothers. What kind of “Flowers in the Attic” relationships do these people have? Though it appears that Chris is one of the chosen ones by the judges, I’m not feeling this guy. I don’t regard his nasally voice and K-Fed mannerisms on stage to be that impressive.

Brandon Rogers (Time after Time)-Dedicating this song to his grandma, Blake surprises me with a song choice that I’d never thought he’d make. I thought it was very brave of him to do a song so unexpected. I’ve loved this song ever since Cyndi Lauper made it a hit in the 1980s, and Brandon didn’t disappoint. Simon may of complained that it wasn’t an over the top show stopper, but sometimes subtlety and nuance can be welcome relief from all the “in your face” performances.

Sundance Head (Mustang Sally)-Sundance sings this song for his new baby boy. Finally we get the Sundance that made many of us love him at his audition. This is exactly the kind of music Sundance should be singing. He brought so much soul and grit to his performance, and he really hit the glory note. He deserves to stay.

Some of the guys stayed consistently good, and some guys were far improved over last week. And some guys are on thin ice. And we also learned something new tonight. Simon likes puppies. I’m sure the girls will bring out the puppies when they perform.

:lol: @ "Flowers In The Attic relationship"-I read all those books :shifty:

I liked Chris with Trouble-but why would you do a song that Taylor had done and know that your version would be compared? It's not as if Ray doesn't have other songs, he has two CD's out.

Golightly Grrl said:

Jared Cotter (Let’s Get it On)-Jared dedicates Marvin Gaye’s iconic baby-makin’ song to his parents. That skeeves me out so much that I can’t even pay attention to his performance.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one! :lol: I called my dad (he watches AI as well) and said, "No offense, but that is the LAST song I'd dedicate to you." He thanked me. :lol:

Golightly Grrl said:
Chris Sligh (Trouble)-Chris dedicates his performance to his wife. Remember when Taylor sang this song last year?

Yes...:drool:

I'm glad Sundance picked a more bluesy song to sing, but honestly, Mustang Sally is about the safest, easiest song he could have chosen.

He hasn't won me back yet.

:tsk:

tell me, are they just keeping these not talented skinny white girls around for their looks?

yes, Antonella, i am looking in your direction.

Zoot! :shame: :giggle:

Melinda was farking amazing. I didn't think Lakisha was as great as last week but she still did well. Gina didn't do the best, but I like her and hope she continues on. Jordin was wonderful as well.

Well, I missed most of the show. First I had a friend call, then I was chasing baby around on the floor, and then I had to give him a bath. By that time it was 8pm, and I missed the first hour.

From what I saw Jordin, Lakisha, Melinda, and Stephanie can all stay. The rest of them need to pack their bags and just go home.

And why is Antonella still around? Wasn't it her that has X-rated photos on the net? :tsk:

The disturbing thing is that on dialidol.com, Antonella shows as being #3 behind Melinda and Lakisha :shocked:

I think Antonella and Lesie should go home. Followed by Alaina and Haley. The rest should be the top 6:
Gina, Lakisha, Melinda, Jordin, Stephanie and Sabrina

Melinda was da bomb tonight!

I guess AI feels sorry for her that her friends revealed those pictures. And Frenchie wasn't considered as hot, so there you go perhaps. If Antonella continues that show loses all credibility in my eyes-just because a bunch of horny guys in basements vote for her doesn't mean she should stay. Her comment that Simon was wrong about Jennifer Hudson too was so arrogant-does she really think she is as talented as her? :lmao:

AI Recaps February 28th
Top 10 Girls

Last week we were treated to several stand out and memorable performances by the ladies. Will they continue the streak, or will it be the boys’ week to shine?

But first some fashion commentary. Ryan is wearing a subliminal shade of lavender. Randy’s shirt hurts like a hangover. Paula is channeling Ann Romano on “One Day at a Time.” And Simon is Simon, not the guy to give out fashion advice, but will anyway. On to the show.

Gina Glocksen (Alone)-Gina dedicates her song to her boyfriend. Looking like a prom queen at Hot Topic High, she sings a Heart song. She doesn’t embarrass, but she can’t compare to the inimitable Ann Wilson. However, I do like that she’s singing a rock song. It’s more her style.

Alaina Alexander (Not Ready to Make Nice)-Dedicating her performance to her mom, Alaina sings a Grammy-winning Dixie Chicks’ song. Well, I’m not ready to make nice, either. Alaina is clearly out of her element and comes across amateurish in both her voice and her stage presence. She took all the anger and intensity out of this song. It’s like she’s ticked that she can’t get a table at Applebee’s.

LaKisha Jones (Midnight Train to Georgia)-Dedicating tonight’s performance to her grandma, Lakisha proves that last week was not a fluke. Girl can sing! Finally the show is gaining some steam. LaKisha can belt but she has good control over her voice. She isn’t just loud and all over the place. Plus she connects with the lyrics, which is a good thing. I love how this shy, unassuming woman becomes such a powerhouse the moment she hits the stage.

Melinda Doolittle (My Funny Valentine)-Melinda is the Oprah, and her two best girlfriends are her Gayles. I love how Melinda begins this song. She sounds so sultry and smoky. I just adore this girl’s voice. It comforts me like my favorite cashmere sweater. I wasn’t too crazy about the belting at towards the end, but that could be because I’m used to this song being song in a softer way. However, glory notes get the votes, and I’m sure Melinda will get plenty. She deserves them.

Antonella Barba (Because You Loved Me)-Antonella dedicates this song to her brother. She has one of the weakest voices in the competition, very pitchy and not very much in control. She can’t do the Celine-like melisma. Plus her stage presence is just not there. It’s like she wants to be famous without all the work. And I did not like the snotty look on her face when the judges were critiquing her. And what was up with the Jennifer Hudson remark? Antonella is not worthy to polish Ms. Hudson’s Oscar.

Jordin Sparks (Reflection)-Jordin also dedicates her song to her brother. I like her, but I can feel her youth. She does have a wonderful voice, but her performance is so high school talent show. Sometimes I wish this show would raise the age limit. However, Jordin will survive and may surprise us during theme nights.

Stephanie Edwards (Dangerously in Love)-Looking elegant in a champagne colored evening gown, Stephanie dedicates this to her parents. I wasn’t too crazy about this performance. It was like Stephanie was channeling Beyonce instead of putting her own stamp on it. But Stephanie does have a wonderfully sophisticated way about her and I look forward to her singing different songs in different genres.

Leslie Hunt (Feelin’ Good)-Grandpa gets a dedication from Leslie. Anyone who sings the Nina Simone version of this song is all right by me. I love that Leslie sings songs away from the Celine, Whitney, Mariah, Beyonce universe. And her voice is so warm and comforting, yet she can still belt. However, I’m afraid she may get lost in the shuffle. I hope she doesn’t. She’s different and quirky.

Haley Scarnato (Queen of the Night)-Haley dedicates her performance to her fiancé. Haley may claim she’s the Queen of the Night, but she’s more Queen of the Prom. I like Haley and she’s a good singer, but she’s so theme park, Disney character, cruise ship entertainment. It’s as if she has no discernable soul. I can’t see her surviving, but I’ve been surprised before.

Sabrina Sloan (All the Man That I Need)-Sabrina’s grandmother gets a dedication, and once again, we get a Whitney song. Could we please retire the Whitney song? Sabrina has a great voice and she did a wonderful job, but I wish she would have sung something different. I’m starting to get bored.

Judging the guys from Tuesday and the girls from Wednesday, I’d say they are running neck and neck. Both nights had clunkers, stand outs, and “whatevers.” Results should be interesting. And Kellie Pickler will be joining us. I can’t believe I’m say this, but I actually miss her a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom