Album Recomendations - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2005, 03:25 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:18 PM
Album Recomendations

Ok, so I have a substantial gift certificate to my favorite music store that I need to use soon before it expires. I need some help picking some music.

I need your list of 10 great albums to buy. 5 albums that are more mainstream - bands that a lot of people would recognize their names instantly (please no U2, Radiohead, Oasis, Coldplay, etc.) and 5 albums that are more obscure.

please include a description of the albums - what kind of music is it? who would you compare them too?

I have a very eclectic taste (country AND western even.... ), so feel free to add any type of music to the list.

Thanks for the help and remember, "Friends don't let friends listen to shit music...."

Old 08-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 07:18 PM
I'll be back. Expect me to bring the goods (anything less than the best is a felony).

Old 08-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

do you want new stuff? old stuff? what?

Old 08-02-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
I'll be back. Expect me to bring the goods (anything less than the best is a felony).

Love it or leave it you better give way...

thanks man - I was counting on you.

lmj - old stuff is fine if it is classic and you expect I don't have it. Thanks,
Old 08-02-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

i'm off to work on my assignment.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:08 PM   #6
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:18 AM
hmm ok

5 Mainstreamish

Absolution by Muse

Used to be heavily compared to Radiohead but personally i think Muse are better, really they are not that much a like to Radiohead, they have a lot more ambition to big, thus their music is very epic and driving, excellent rockers and their quieter ballad type moments are haunting to say the least. Absolution is a Rock Opera in the truest sense, lovely string accompaniments, while Matt Bellamy (lead singer) switches between lead guitar and his grand piano..its thrilling and beautiful ride

Best Tracks: Time is Running Out, Hysteria, Butterflies and Hurricanes

Smile by Brian Wilson

The masterpiece that was 40 years in the making...showing all of Brian Wilson's genius (formerly of The Beach Boys), glorious harmonies galore, with changed arrangements to Good Vibrations (how it was meant to sound).....really its just a beautiful album.

Beast Tracks: Good Vibrations, Surfs Up, Heroes and Villains

Supergrass selftitled

Its just a brilliantly fun album from the get go...not sure who i could compare them to...britpop they be but they survived it, just good fun, Gaz Coombes is a very cool lead singer to.

Best Tracks: Moving, Pumping on Your Stereo, Mary

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips

Psychadellic bubblegum pop..is whats comes into my head...definitey a trippy album but very well crafted songs and just , well i love it

Forever Delayed by the Manic Street Preachers

Its a best of but its all i have, but it is brilliant...some very visceral punk rock moments, to more epic grand songs...but a rockin' band they are and forever shall be..i love the Manics

5 Obscurer albums

Faded Seaside Glamour by Delays

Southampton bands debut...if you like wonderful melodies and harmonies then you will love them, they take a bit of influence from the Finn Brothers mainly Crowded House side of things, they have a cover of I Got You and they are a stomping live act...saw them in a tiny tiny venue and they blew my mind...love them and probably my favourite of the newer bands about, their keyboardist has stated that their new album will piss all over their debut...and with their last single release with the new song Lost in A Melody they look set to do so...their debut even though soon to be eclipsed is wonderfully melancholic, taking you on a cruise and trips to faraway lands.

Best Tracks: Wanderlust, Hey Girl, Nearer than Heaven

Absent Friends by The Divine Comedy

Genius this guy is pure genius....brilliant lyrics, great sense of humour, brilliant voice and Irish oh yeh he is also smaller than Bono...basically Neil Hannon (he is The Divine Comedy) is like Frank Sinatra on drugs with a full guitar band and orchestra backing him...supreme songwriting indeed. You will love it because i say so

Best Tracks: Absent Friends, The Happy Goth, Our Mutual Friend

Kasabian self-titled

Primal Scream/Stone Roses influenced band or dance rave rock as i call it....its got real attitude and another brilliant live act, blasting away all your cares.

Best Tracks: Cut-Off, LSF (Lost Souls Forever), Reason is Treason

Welcome to the North by the Music

Not to everyones taste but a great rock band in my opinion, its what 80s hair metal should have been like...no shit solos...just great danceable rock outs (some Stone Roses influence again but rockier) so some grunge influence too....an album that sadly did not perform well when released..help it perform now.

Best Tracks: Freedom Fighters, Breakin', Bleed From Within

Sunlight Makes Me Paranoid by Elefant

If you know Interpol...well imagine Interpol in pink and you are half way there to understanding this band..same styling of music except infinitely more poppy and not in a bad way...just great music and with a guitarist named Mod well how can you resist?

Best Tracks: Make Up, Bokkie, Love
Old 08-02-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks LJT,

I have all the mainstream albums you listed, but only Kasbian of the rare ones. I will have to check the other four out.

THanks much
Old 08-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
Thanks LJT,

I have all the mainstream albums you listed, but only Kasbian of the rare ones. I will have to check the other four out.

THanks much
no problemos tis my pleasure*bows*...definitely check out Delays and The Divine Comedy albums...i would not give them up for anything in the world.....just wondering whereabouts are you from? It makes it easier to decide what you have heard of or not...Europeans would probably consider Kasabian more mainstream music now as such because they are pretty well known where in the states they are still very much unheard of.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Right now I am in Michigan in the US, but I spend a considerable amount of time abroad.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:24 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah Neil Hannon AKA The Divine Comedy worth checking out. Get their 'Best of' first. I command you to.

Also:

Mainstream:

(1) Gram Parsons Double CD Best of Collection (Country/rock)

(2) Modern Classics - Paul Weller (Rock)

(3) Best of John Lee Hooker (Blues)

(4) The Sound of the Jam - 25th Anniversary Edition (Rock)

(5) Porcupine - Echo and the Bunnymen (Rock)

Non-mainstream:

(1) Future Sound of London - Dead Cities - an excellent ambient/experimental album

(2) Best of The Associates - early '80s experimental pop duo.

(3) Sunny Border Blue - Kristin Hersch (singer song writer, ex-Throwing Muses)
Old 08-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #11
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Yeah Neil Hannon AKA The Divine Comedy worth checking out. Get their 'Best of' first. I command you to.
the A Secret History Of...is good, still better to get the albums i reckon and i think Absent Friends is a better beginners album....everything in general by him is excellent though.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:18 AM
If you like piano blues, try get some James Booker.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Mofo, Heartland, Joyful, Zoom, Cujo, EP, don't be bitches - answer the question.

This thing is burning a hole in my pocket ... and if its burning that way, you know my ass is on fyyyyyiiiirrrrrreeee!!11!!! (If you read that last part with Little Richards voice it will be a lot more fun).
Old 08-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:18 PM
Whoa, ok! I'll give it a whirl. Be right back!
Old 08-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:18 PM
MAINSTREAM (or my idea of mainstream, at least...):

1. Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cold Roses
Nice country-esque double album with some beautiful, poignant songs on it. The Cardinals are a talented group of musicians. Great lyrics in places.

2. Bubba Sparxxx - Deliverance
Not sure if you listen to rap or not, but this is my favoritest rap album of all time. Very little rapping about hos and drugs, lots of rapping about life in the dirty South. Cool fiddles and other southern touches (including an appearance by an Atlanta choir) make this a unique rap album.

3. Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible or Lifeblood
I put them under mainstream because of their popularity everywhere but the U.S. Currently my favorite band. If you buy The Holy Bible, you will get a very raw rock album. No love songs, just lots of calling life as it is in all its harsh beauty. Lifeblood is their most recent album. Lots of sweeping sounds and reflective lyrics. I truly believe everyone should own something by Manic Street Preachers.

4. Stereophonics - Language. Sex. Violence. Other?
Another great Welsh band, much more popular in the UK than here. This is their latest album. A straight ahead rocker, lots of energy, great vocals and guitars.

5. My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge
I was so pleasantly surprised at how good this album is. They're considered screamo by the mainstream press, I suppose, but there is no denying that this album has some terrific songs on it. Very rocking, creative lyrics and song titles. I love listening to this album LOUD. Highly recommended.

OBSCURE:

1. M.I.A. - Arular
She's becoming a lot less obscure now that this album is starting to take off. This album is a cool blend of electronic beats and M.I.A. singing and rapping in a refreshing London accent. It is so much fun to listen to.

2. Hope of the States - The Lost Riots
Another European band. This album is considered apocalyptic by a lot of people. I guess I could see how it makes you feel better about the end of the world. Some heartbreaking, beautiful songs that are sad and uplifting at the same time. Check the thread on them around here for more impressions.

3. Har Mar Superstar - The Handler
A balding, overweight white guy rapping and singing so smoothly, pimp flutes playing in the background and women saying they want to have his babies. Har Mar knows what he is doing and does it well. This album is crazy in all the right ways. I can't think of who I would compare it to! I guess it's a little rap, a little dance, a little R&B, but all done up well.

4. Federico Aubele - Gran Hotel Buenos Aires
An Argentinian guitarist whose music is produced by some of the top players in the electronic scene, D.C.-based Thievery Corporation. Gorgeous Spanish lyrics sung over a tapestry of guitar and tight beats. You can't beat it for something new to listen to.

5. Tiesto - just about anything by him, but especially the In Search of Sunrise series
I put this under obscure because the average American knows jack about trance music. Tiesto is the number 1 ranked DJ in the world several years running, and he definitely deserves it. I love listening to trance while working and driving because of the positivity and the energy it gives me. Definitely worth looking into, and I'd recommend Tiesto highly. (Although anything by Armin Van Buuren will also do ya just fine!)