Album Recomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dalton said:

Good selection. I have all your mainstream albums, but I will check out a few of the "left" of center albums.

Keep em coming....

Pfft!!!! Thanks for completely blowing off all of the rest of our lists, Dr. Jerkenstein!!!!

:angry:

I just bought something yesterday that's been on my wish list for years:

Urban Hymns by The Verve

I love it so much already I can hardly stand it.

After briefly reading over this thread I think that my list is going to stand out a little from the rest. I’m not going to bother to break things up into unknowns or knowns because different people are exposed to different music. Also, please excuse my capital letters, I am typing this in MS and the red lines annoy me. Trust me, I do in fact hate capital letters.

In no particular order:

Stone Temple Pilots – Purple
alt.rock
An absolute classic of the 90s hard rock scene. I don’t care what you think about Velvet Revolver, because this album is the best thing Scott Weiland ever did. (His solo album is quite interesting though.)
Highlights include: Vasoline, Interstate Love Song, and Big Empty

Ours – Distorted Lullabies
goth.alt.rock
Gnecco’s voice is a perverted combination of Jeff Buckley, Marilyn Manson, Bono, and Thom Yorke. Dark and mysterious rock’n’roll.
Highlights include: Fallen Souls, Sometimes, and Here Is The Light

Jeff Buckley – Grace
alt.rock
Wow. Just wow. It’s too bad that Jeff died so young.
Highlights include: Last Goodbye, Grace, and Hallelujah

Marilyn Manson – Mechanical Animals
alt.rock
Don’t laugh. It’s a great album. Manson takes a left turn after Antichrist Superstar and turns out a very unique album.
Highlights include: Great Big White World, The Speed of Pain, and Coma White

Tool – Aenima
alt.metal
A masterpiece of alternative rock, pure and simple. MJK is one of the best vocalists and most intriguing lyricists around.
Highlights include: 46 and 2, Eulogy, and Aenema

Guster – Keep It Together
alt.pop
What pop rock ought to be. The band adds a member, expands its instrumentation, and delivers. Look for their new album in the spring of 2006.
Highlights include: Diane, Come Downstairs And Say Hello, and I Hope Tomorrow Is Like Today

Jimmy Eat World – Futures
alt.rock.emo haha
I hated Bleed American but JEW totally won me over with this album. Great songs and great production. One of the best albums I’ve heard in a long time.
Highlights include: Kill, Polaris, and 23

Peter Gabriel – So
alt.pop.elec
I don’t really know what to say about this one. A total classic from the 80s. Everyone should own this album.
Highlights include: Red Rain, That Voice Again, In Your Eyes

Third Eye Blind – Out Of The Vein
alt.rock
You probably remember them for such hits as Semi-Charmed Life and Deep Inside Of You, but the band’s most recent effort is by far its best to date. Catchy alternative rock never sounded so good.
Highlights include: Faster, Danger, and My Hit And Run

Toad The Wet Sprocket – Dulcinea
alt.rock
Ah Toad, a fond memory of the early 90s. Dulcinea is their best effort in my opinion and is a wonderful addition to any music library.
Highlights include: Fly From Heaven, Windmills, and Stupid

I’m having second thoughts about a lot of what I included in this list so I’m going to hurry up and post this before I start arguing with myself. I may not be an indie-hipster but there are some good albums on this list that I don’t think anyone has mentioned.

nice. :up:

i hadn't thought about toad in years, until you brought it up in the other thread. i actually bought 'dulcinea' when it first came out. i believe 'windmills' was the song i liked on it as well. i hate to say, i have no idea where that cd ended up. :reject:

nice to see you included interstate love song, peter gabriel's 'so' :drool:, and you know i'm a sucker for 'futures'.

and i'm still working on hearing guster, i swear!

lmjhitman said:
nice. :up:

i hadn't thought about toad in years, until you brought it up in the other thread. i actually bought 'dulcinea' when it first came out. i believe 'windmills' was the song i liked on it as well. i hate to say, i have no idea where that cd ended up. :reject:

nice to see you included interstate love song, peter gabriel's 'so' :drool:, and you know i'm a sucker for 'futures'.

and i'm still working on hearing guster, i swear!

i'm glad i earned a thumbs up from you, my love. i think my list is a little more mainstream than the others here. i purposely left out the classics as well (beatles, stones, zep).

you would be doing yourself a favor to go dig up dulcinea. :D what a great album! i love glen phillips.
also liz, i really think you would like Ours. i don't know why but it's something i can picture you enjoying. check out a song or two if you can - realize, sometimes, here is the light, and leaves are all good introductions. they're a band i just got into again recently after letting their 2 albums collect dust on the shelves. i love when that happens.

the list was pretty hard to do. here is a little addendum (did i spell that right?):

pearl jam - yield
r.e.m. - monster
superdrag - last call for vitriol
eminem - the eminem show
nine inch nails - the fragile
a perfect circle - 13th step
red hot chili peppers - blood sugar sex magik

lol, it's hard to stop!

i'm off to go listen to the sigur ros leak. :drool:

hmmm, you're not the first person to recommend ours to me. i'll put them on my list as well.

:sexywink:

Mainstream:

Queen: A Night At The Opera. 1975.

Yes. It has "Bohemian Rhapsody." Yes. It has "You're My Best Friend." Those 2 tracks are reason enough for any self respecting rock fan to own this album, but wait, there's more! "'39" is an acoustic folksy romp with Brian May on vocals. "Death On Two Legs (Dedicated To...)" is classic Queen. "The Prophet's Song" is 8+ minutes of rock, with an extented vocal bridge that border on insane. "Love Of My Life" is a beautiful piano ballad, that became a concert staple. "Seaside Rendezvous" is Quen in ragtime mode. No other rock record made covers this much ground. Musical precision, passion, melody up the wha-zoo. Why doesn't everyone have this record? The world would be a better place.

Neil Young, Harvest. 1972.
Harvest might be the perfect album. I really can't give this album a propper review cause I've been listening to it since I was born. Dad loves it. "Heart Of Gold", "Alabama", "Old Man", "Out On A Weekend", Harvest." You probably already have this album. And if you don't, why? You can usually get it for $9.99.

Left Of Center:

The Verve- A Northern Soul. 1995.

The first record showed so much promise (A Storm In Heaven, 1993.) And this one delivered on it. Song structures were more deliberate, but the noise was still there. Lots of noise. The acoustic ballad "On You Own" was the first single off this album, and really showcased the band as a songwriting unit. The opening track from the album, "A New Decade", 3 chords never sounded this good. Screaming guitars. "No Knock On My Door" is more of the same good stuff. "This Is Music" follows the same route. Forceful, grooving. "A Norther Soul" sees a retun to more psychedelic territory from album #1. And "History" is a pleading acoustic ballad that foreshadowed what was to come on the next record.

...more later:p

Last edited:
Sounds like you already have a large collection, and I honestly haven't heard a lot of newer stuff (or some older for that matter). Many of these bands are all foreign to me :reject: So while I will leave out my obvious choices (Black Crowes, Midnight Oil, Elvis Costello, Audioslave), I just remembered an older indy title that I really liked, and may have to pull out of the closet:
Sugar - Copper Blue

I originally bought it for the song 'Helpless', but I really enjoyed the whole CD (Bob Mould's band, formerly of Husker Du)

oh, and Traffic - Low Spark of High Healed Boys :drool:

HeartlandGirl said:
lmj and mofo should be album reviewers! What vocabulary! :up:

I'm glad y'all put Death Cab and Bjork on there. I considered them and would also endorse the purchase of anything by them. Like mofo said, 'Homogenic' is great. I'd also give big ups to 'Post.' 'Dummy' by Portishead and 'Antics' by Interpol also rate highly in my book. Y'all are some awesome music fans! :hug:
:ohmy: how did i miss this post? thanks HG! :hug:

i considered the shins, but knew it would be on mofo's list, and big time props to you for including hope of the states and mcr. :drool: and yeah, i put the arcade fire in the mainstream group, thinking that everyone on a U2 board must know who they are by now, even though they technically may not be mainstream.

but hey, it was good times coming up with the list, although typing it out took a lot longer than i'd care to admit. glad you enjoyed it! i am loving reading what everyone else considers to be the essential cd's in their collection.

and JintheB, i hope to see your list as soon as you're feeling better! :up:

Might I recommend some good dutch music (will probably fall into the 'obscure' category):

Nits - I like the live double CD (called Nits). Very original, laid back music

Urban Dance Squad - Killer band. Hard guitars with hard raps (with a dutch accent, but I really can recommend this). Their albums vary a lot. The oldest "Mental floss for the globe" is a more mellow kind of album. "Persona non grata" is probably the best known of the lot with tracks like "good grief" and "demagogue". The last I've heard of them "Planet Ultra" has some strong tracks as well. "Life 'n perspectives of a genuine crossover is somewhat less inviting to listen to (in my opinion of course). I'd suggest you go with either "Mental floss for the globe" or "persona non grata".

When I think of more I'll call back in

buy japan: gentlemen take polaroids. it's an awesome album and you'll love it, i swear. i guess it would fall under obscure because most people haven't heard of them. they broke up over 20 years ago.

another good one (if you can find it in stores) is stimulator: stimulator. they're a great up-and-coming band. i saw them open for another band a couple weeks ago and had the opportunity to meet the band. they're awesome.

u2popmofo said:

- Bjork - 'Homogenic' or 'Greatest Hits'
Such a unique voice and style, such great music. Everyone needs to have some Bjork in their collection. The greatest hits is an extremely good place to start, but if you dont like compilations 'Homogenic' is probably my favorite album at the moment.
the head when I first heard it, amazing.

Seeing Bjork at Red Rocks was one of my all-time favorite shows. I can still get chills remembering "Bachelorette" with those powerful drums, strings, and bursts of flames onstage...it was astonishing. And me, cold and wet, and totally in awe in the 5th row. I went with no expectations and had my puny little mind blown to smithereens.

I think I love Homogenic and Post equally. Can't go wrong with either one.

The Cure - Disintegration as u2popmofo said.
It is a great album, even if you don't like The Cure :wink:
Plainsong is one of the best opening song for an album.

Chage&Aska - Very Best Roll Over 20th
A Japanese band. I think they are now more of a cash cow.
Their earlier music was fantastic though.
I think they are the first Asian artist featured in MTV Unplugged in New York.

I really don't know what is mainstream and what is "obscure"... so, I just picked 10 albums I enjoy...

:)

Red Sparowes – At The Soundless Dawn
Possibly my favorite album of this year, so far. Repetitive Post-Rock tunes without lyrics, guitars very close to a Stoner Metal sound. An amazing debut from this band. It’s a trip, you can see magic, beautiful places, you can feel something filling your lungs, it’s too much beauty.

Pelican – The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw
Doom Metal, Stoner Metal and (but of course) Post-Rock, another great release of this year. This is darker, even deeper than the Red Sparowes album. Every song is perfect, it has very well defined structures, these guys are great musicians.

Xiu Xiu – La Foret
Why not Fabulous Muscles or A Promise?, they are maybe better, but La Foret it’s more accessible, more melodic or something. Here, Jamie Stewart experiments with new sounds and styles, Muppet Face has the original Xiu Xiu sound, but Clover it’s a creepy but beautiful acoustic tune, Pox it’s more like a Space Rock, and Bog People it’s the climax… a cacophony with beauty and sadness.

Songs: Ohia – Magnolia Electric Co.
Some Folk. This band/guy is one of my new discoveries. It’s like Progressive Folk (if you like Sufjan Stevens, you may like Songs: Ohia). Has a Country vibe (because a recurrent pedal steel), but it’s more complex than that. Hold On Magnolia it’s a beautiful song.

Iron and Wine – Woman King EP
Possibly his best work, and it’s just an EP. I will always love his lyrics, he has an unique sensibility. Acoustic, intimate, warm Folk. I’m a big fan of this guy, so, what can I say?

Devendra Banhart – Rejoicing In The Hands
Ok, this is the last Folk album on this list. I like Devendra because his humor, that makes his tunes more playful, but still has the original feeling of Folk music. Nino Rojo, released the same year it’s also great, but this album has Fall, my favorite song by him.

Patrick Wolf – Lycanthropy
This kid (It's a kid! he's so young) sounds to me like Xiu Xiu but coherent, or something like that, it’s more melodic music, but synthesizers approximate him to Xiu Xiu. This is his debut, Wind In the Wires (released this year) it’s also good, but here you can listen his freshness, that catch you completely. A Boy Like Me is a perfect pop tune with ironic lyrics.

Deftones – White Pony
Someone called them sometime the Radiohead of Metal, I’m not sure of that. Yes, they experiment a lot in their area (Metal), just like Radiohead, but… I don’t like comparisons. Their first two albums are good, but you can’t find anything new in them, just powerful, brutal Nu Metal/Rap Metal/Whatever, here are more variety. Passenger reminds to Tool, Back To School is basically Defones making their Nu Metal music, Change (In The House of Flies) is awesome, slow and melancholic... and so on. Yes, it’s Nu Metal, but it’s good Nu Metal.

Jim O’Rourke – Insignificance
Maybe you know this guy because Sonic Youth, but his solo stuff worth a listen. Here there are Pop/Rock tunes with interesting structures, songs are like sonic implosions. Knocked down music and reconstructed again. And the lyrics are awesome (and funny sometimes).

Café Tacuba – Cuatro Caminos
Rock en Espanol. Café Tacuba is the best Mexican band and best band in Spanish (ever). In this album you can find some funny, dancey tunes like Eo (El Sonidero), with Latin rhythm, but also songs like Encantamiento Inutil, a beautiful, tender tune. They have everything.

Last edited:
Jack In The Box said:
I really don't know what is mainstream and what is "obscure"... so, I just picked 10 albums I enjoy...

:)
wow, great list JintheB!! :up:

looks like i have some investigating to do! i'll definitely check into red sparowes.

Back
Top Bottom