2010 FIFA World Cup! Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be the first time I'll be experiencing the World Cup in a place where football is actually called soccer. I hope the atmosphere around here will be nice, though.

Not too excited about my Brazil, though, I have to say.

The defender who broke Drogba's elbow plays for Japan but was born in Brazil.

Not to start a conspiracy theory, but it sounds at least mildly suspicious that Brazil and Ivory Coast were in the same group, so called the "group of death"...

Of course I'm very biased, but I think that Robben, Van Persie, Kuyt and Huntelaar (as substitute) are no slouch either. With Sneijder, Van der Vaart and Affelay right behind them.

BTW, the goal by Bergkamp against Argentina has been chosen as the most beautiful World Cup goal by Dutch voters. :cute:
Second place was for Maradona's rush against England at WC 1986 and third was for Maxi Rodriguez against Mexico in 2006.
So Argentina is featured in the top three spots. :)

There's never a bad time to post this video.

YouTube - Dennis Bergkamp WK 1998 (Dutch commentary; Jack van Gelder)

Dennis Bergkamp is GOD

Also I hope John Terry gets injured as well so he can get lost - he is crap
I hope Drogba is ok, i want him to sort Portugal out

Sorry to hear about Drogba, Sports Illustrated just did a great piece on him a few weeks ago......

Yeah, I remember reading that piece about him and all the humanitarian work he does in Ivory Coast.

It's really damn hard to root for him though -- he's 6'2", 200 lbs, super strong, fast and talented, and yet he's probably the biggest diver and whiner in the game (for those who don't watch a lot of soccer).

Dennis Bergkamp is GOD

Also I hope John Terry gets injured as well so he can get lost - he is crap
I hope Drogba is ok, i want him to sort Portugal out
yeah no offence but John Terry looks like a bloke who's been in and out of the slammer since he was four years old. what a piece of scum.
The Giants win the pennant.

Sorry to hear about Drogba, Sports Illustrated just did a great piece on him a few weeks ago......
you're quite an avid reader of Sports Illustrated, were you ever involved in media or just appreciate good sports writing?
I know its from the 2006 World Cup qualifying, this is what happened when Australia won on penalties against Uraguay.

YouTube - aloisi penalty

that's fucking insane. great moment.

that's fucking insane. great moment.

I remember that moment so well. The following day the student teacher at my primary school was making fun of Uruguay with the "U-r-gay" thing. Which was pretty disrespectful, but I let it pass.

you're quite an avid reader of Sports Illustrated, were you ever involved in media or just appreciate good sports writing?

I have been reading SI since I was a kid. At one point, back in the day, I was reading SI, Sport Magazine, Inside Sports, The Sporting News, Baseball Digest, Football Digest and Basketball Digest, on top of all the books I read, etc. I even found time to play sports, too, go figure. :) Most of those publications are now defunct, but were fairly popular at the time.

My love of sports and my desire to follow a career path that would be about enjoying the job as opposed to just being lucrative lead me to the world of televised sports here in the States, which I did for 15 years or so before voluntarily leaving the business, perhaps just temporarily, back in September.

Sadly, the art of quality sports writing seems to be in jeopardy.

COBL, if you're ever bored and want to read some great pieces, check out SI.com and their vault, and search for articles by Gary Smith. He's the best, at least in my opinion. He tells stories, he's not about being smarmy or spreading rumors or indulging in lame conjecture or whatnot....he just paints pictures with his words. He's no James Joyce but for a sports writer, he's not too shabby. :)

I have been reading SI since I was a kid. At one point, back in the day, I was reading SI, Sport Magazine, Inside Sports, The Sporting News, Baseball Digest, Football Digest and Basketball Digest, on top of all the books I read, etc. I even found time to play sports, too, go figure. :) Most of those publications are now defunct, but were fairly popular at the time.

My love of sports and my desire to follow a career path that would be about enjoying the job as opposed to just being lucrative lead me to the world of televised sports here in the States, which I did for 15 years or so before voluntarily leaving the business, perhaps just temporarily, back in September.

Sadly, the art of quality sports writing seems to be in jeopardy.

COBL, if you're ever bored and want to read some great pieces, check out SI.com and their vault, and search for articles by Gary Smith. He's the best, at least in my opinion. He tells stories, he's not about being smarmy or spreading rumors or indulging in lame conjecture or whatnot....he just paints pictures with his words. He's no James Joyce but for a sports writer, he's not too shabby. :)

oh wow! :) i've been reading sports stuff here too, i read and have always read most sports publications i can my hands on, as well as the newspapers. sadly, and this is a major regret, i never played a game of Australian Rules Football, though it's always been my favourite sport and i currently write about it for newspapers and websites on weekends.

so you were a sports commentator? which sports? which channels? which leagues? were you a big name? why did you leave? sorry to bombard but i didn't know and i'm quite passionate. i'd love to do that some day but at the moment i'm struggling with drive and confidence.

quality sports writing that stands out from news is in dearth, i would agree.

i'll definitely check that website out!

oh wow! :) i've been reading sports stuff here too, i read and have always read most sports publications i can my hands on, as well as the newspapers. sadly, and this is a major regret, i never played a game of Australian Rules Football, though it's always been my favourite sport and i currently write about it for newspapers and websites on weekends.

so you were a sports commentator? which sports? which channels? which leagues? were you a big name? why did you leave? sorry to bombard but i didn't know and i'm quite passionate. i'd love to do that some day but at the moment i'm struggling with drive and confidence.

quality sports writing that stands out from news is in dearth, i would agree.

i'll definitely check that website out!

Ha, ha, I was not/am not a big name at all, good god no.

I was white collar, sat behind a desk, started as an intern and went from there.

If you like, I'll PM you tomorrow and elaborate on who I worked for, why I left, what I did, etc, do not want to bore everyone else in this thread/derail it.

Wanted to mention that ABC/ESPN finally wised up and hired guys like Martin Tyler to call the matches for them. In World Cup's past, we've been subjected to some shitty PxP choices. In fact, I think that Harkes is the only American amongst ABC/ESPN's broadcast teams. I hope Middle America can handle a non-American accent without losing their shit.

Ha, ha, I was not/am not a big name at all, good god no.

I was white collar, sat behind a desk, started as an intern and went from there.

If you like, I'll PM you tomorrow and elaborate on who I worked for, why I left, what I did, etc, do not want to bore everyone else in this thread/derail it.

Wanted to mention that ABC/ESPN finally wised up and hired guys like Martin Tyler to call the matches for them. In World Cup's past, we've been subjected to some shitty PxP choices. In fact, I think that Harkes is the only American amongst ABC/ESPN's broadcast teams. I hope Middle America can handle a non-American accent without losing their shit.

yeah that would be great :)

Wanted to mention that ABC/ESPN finally wised up and hired guys like Martin Tyler to call the matches for them. In World Cup's past, we've been subjected to some shitty PxP choices.

Thanks for that ABC/ESPN, Martin Tyler has called the past few World Cups for SBS in Australia. Now we miss out
cry.gif

yeah no offence but John Terry looks like a bloke who's been in and out of the slammer since he was four years old. what a piece of scum.

Someone on Pleba once said that they thought he looked like Bono. When I mentioned this to my mum she replied "he looks nothing like him, stupid". This is the same reply I got when I said that I think Hollyoaks Kieran Richardson who was in Dancing On Ice earlier this year looked like former Croatian international Dario Simic.

Other look-a-likes for these 2 include (Dario Simic)
Mark Owen from Take That
Damon Albarn from Blur and then the Gorillaz
Former Australian international Mark Bosnich

and for Bono:
Joe Pillatto from Day and Dawn of The Dead
Robert De Niro
Former Croatian international Mario Stanic

Currently watching the USA-AUS friendly being played in SA. This new ball flies like a golf ball -- it's pretty comical how badly players and goalkeepers are misjudging it in the air.

Arjen Robben is OUT injured as well now
Pulled hamstring in warm up game v Hungary

So no rio, drogba, mikel, robben, ballack and possibly Pirlo

If Robben is out The Netherlands don't have a chance.
Now only Rooney and Messi have to get injured.:wink:

If Robben is out The Netherlands don't have a chance.
Now only Rooney and Messi have to get injured.:wink:

I think Holland will be okay without Robben. If they lost Wesley Sneijder, then I'd write them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom