Quit Pooping!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dismantled

Blue Crack Addict
Any helpful tip on how to stop a dog from pooping on a carpet? I've tried the usual .......nose in it...spanking.....yelling......nothing works:mad:

:lol: Wow, I gotta say I'm a little relieved that this is what the thread turned out to be about.

Is the dog a puppy or an elderly dog? My dog, before we put her to sleep last month :(, was 17 and kind of lost control of her bowels so there was nothing we could really do.

It's been a LONG time since I've dealt with a puppy. But, when it comes to potty training a human... when you see [the dog] starting to poo take him immediately outside... even if it's mid-poo. :huh:

There are training pads you can buy - you lay them on the floor and encourage the dog to use them. Once they have been trained on them inside the house you move the pads outside to transition the dog to do their business outside.

Its between a puppy and a dog........the problem is he is a rescue from a shelter, when we got him he never did this, its a new thing and we have had him for 4 months now.
...He is so quick about it too......he bolts for the carpet and is done before I even get there
.....and you know what makes me so mad...I will walk him outside forever...then take him and and he will run for the carpet and poop.:mad: :mad: :mad: :madspit:

...sorry about your dog:( My cat was the same age and he died last month also:sad:

Dismantled said:
...He is so quick about it too......he bolts for the carpet and is done before I even get there
.....and you know what makes me so mad...I will walk him outside forever...then take him and and he will run for the carpet and poop.:mad: :mad: :mad: :madspit:

That little bastard! Hmm... it could be a territorial issue at this point. My dog never did it when she was able but when we'd move houses she'd instantly pee on the carpet in every room. :rolleyes: Moron.

Maybe he's rebelling?

Keocmb said:

That little bastard!

Maybe he's rebelling?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...he just did it while I was typing and i just took him out!!!! Little Bastard has become his nickname!! HA HA HA

We love him to death and he is the cutest dog and would never do anything to hurt him but I could skin him right now. We joke about it...we say if he does it once more we are going to skin him...make a rug and then we will POOP ON IT!

Excuse me while I go pick poo off my rug......

Don't spank him or rub his nose in it!!!!! :no: :sad:

My chocolate lab was a grown dog when we got him, but he was used to living in the country where he was able to roam free...he wasn't used to being a house dog. Therefore, there were some accidents.

Things have gotten better though. We let him outside often, and we have a set feeding time once a day. I have read that you should expect a dog to have to dump about 8 hours after eating, so keep that in mind when feeding him (if I'm wrong about that fact, someone please correct me...I'm not a dog poo expert! :lol:).

If there is an accident, we speak sternly to him so that he knows we are upset with him. Instead of hitting him or rubbing his nose in it, I like to ignore him. I think that it's just as painful yet not nearly as cruel. He just looks so heartbroken when I ignore him. After about an hour or so, we go back to things as usual...for his sake and ours (we feel bad having to ignore him, but we can't just do NOTHING about it...he needs to know his behavior was wrong).

Good luck! :wave:

He won't let me ingore him.....he insits on attention by jumping in my lap.....( he is 50 lbs....shepard/beagle mix..not light) or following me around, getting in the way....arghghghg. Thanks for the info though. I thought about crating him when he does it, would that work? We desperatley try to train him to be a good dog, but nothing works.

I think perhaps when he was a puppy he was neglected and he had to do his 'business' on the carpet. Dogs will become conditioned and used to, erm, certain enviroments and textures to do that stuff. Sounds like he might be regressing for some reason. Has there been alot of activity or stress around the house lately? Family gatherings or working long hours or something.

Please don't rub his nose in it. :sad: Unless you catch him in the act and manage to distract him with a yell or something...he won't be able to make the connection after the fact.

Let him outside more. I hate to say it, but I will never have another dog in the house. My dogs I had never stopped pooping, though one would only poop in the same spot every time (in front of the TV) 5 cats are less trouble inside than one dog IMO. I found out the only way to stop them was to let them out more. But this doesn't stop my brother's dogs. He has a doggie door out onto the deck and his dogs, ages 6 and 7, always poop and pee inside anyway and always have :sigh: Good luck. Please don't hurt him or take him to the pound. As frustrating and gross as it is, it is just poop and it can be cleaned up. He's a living creature with feelings.

Maybe try crating him at night and then letting him outside first thing in the morning.
Do you have a fenced in yard where he could walk around freely? Some dogs that I've been around don't like to go poo if they are walking on a leash, they hold it until they can walk around freely. :shrug:

I used to dogsit a 115 lb dog that NEVER wanted to go when I let him out. I'll let you imagine what it's like to have a dog of that size go in the house......Anyway, in the yard, he seemed to only poo in a few spots where he could smell himself, so I'd take the milkbones and throw one in the back where he liked to poo to get him back there. As he'd sniff out the milkbone, he'd sniff his scent and then poo! :shrug: At night I kept him in the basement so that if there was an accident, it would be on cement and not carpet.

U2Kitten said:
Please don't hurt him or take him to the pound. As frustrating and gross as it is, it is just poop and it can be cleaned up. He's a living creature with feelings.

AHHHH no I would never hurt him or take him to a pound....thats where we got him in the first place!

One of the first things you'll want to do is effectively remove all
odors from areas where she has had an accident. A dog may be
triggered to urinate indoors by the smell of the spot where he
previously went. A dog's sense of smell is 200 times greater than a
human nose!

Two well known products that are good odor neutralizers are Nature's
Miracle Stain & Odor Remover, and Un-Duz-It. Vets can also recommend
efficient products.

When cleaning up accidents in your home, Do not use ammonia-based
products, as their odor resembles urine and may draw your dog back to
urinate in the same spot again.

When outside choose the spot were you want her to do her business
carefully and she should be taken out on leash to the same designated
spot each time.

This is not walk time or play time; stand in approximately the same
spot and wait for your dog to eliminate. If she does, praise her
enthusiastically. Don’t immediately rush back into the house with her.
Because she will learn to hold on and not eliminate so that she can
get more time outdoors. Instead walk a few minutes or give her a
minute or two of playtime.

When she has successfully peed and pooped outside, don’t fully clean
up the spot, but leave a trace of urine or feces to provide a scent
that will remind her what she is supposed to do there.

There may be an occasional accident in the house. If there is one
don’t hit, don't yell, and don't rub her nose in it.

Dogs cannot make a connection between your punishment and earlier behavior.

The result of hitting, yelling and punishment will eventually lead to
her being afraid of you. Just clean up the mess without making a
fuss, and apply one of the odor eliminators/neutralizers.

If you actually catch your dog in the act of eliminating inside the
house, interrupt her and take her outside to the proper place (without
harsh words or punishment). If she eliminates outside, praise her.
Remember to be patient, some dogs take longer than others to
housebreak.

Learn to use the same simple words for accidents and for praise.

"Nah nah" or "No", for accidents.

"GOOD GIRL" or "GOOD DOG" or "GOOD (name)" Praise with joy and
enthusiasm in your voice. Smile!

Eventually you can get her to go on demand, by teaching her simple
words for elimination. "Go Potty", "Go Poop", "Make Pee".

If you are consistent, watchful, and use the crate, a dog can usually
be housebroken in couple of weeks.

So it sounds like the same thing that goes for cats goes for dogs - punishment doesn't work b/c the animal can't associate the punishment with the bad behavior (for example, squirting cats when they scratch furniture only makes them remember they will get squirted if they go by that spot, NOT scratching is bad and they shouldn't do it). Looks like praise and consistency are key.

THanks everyone........

poop update......we pulled up the carpet and that has seemed to solve the problem....we cleaned it but it seems we couldn't get the smell out
.....more later.....

I'm sorry dismantled. I'm glad you won't do that but you'd be surprised at all the people who do :( There was a story in my paper that says the biggest problem with the overcrowding of the pounds around here are no longer pups and kittens because no one spayed or neutered, but full grown pets, even purebreds, being turned over for minor behavioral problems like pooping and barking! One person gave them their cat because he wouldn't stop sleeping in a chair! Other people give them up when they move, or just plain get tired of them. The shelters are trying to encourage helping people with their problems, or telling them to find out ahead of time of a pet is welcome before they move, or not taking an animal if you aren't ready for a LIFETIME commitment. Too many people treat pets as temporary toys they can just dump when the novelty wears off or trade in for a more interesting breed the next time a movie comes out. That's another thing, everyone wanted dalmations because of 101 Dalmations, then dumped them for Golden Retrievers because their kid wanted 'Air Bud' and stuff like that. It's heartlessness and ignorance and it makes me so sad. Sorry for the rant.

Yeah U2kitten I know and I am not suprised at the bad treatment of animals. Both my dogs have come from shelters. My first is a husky/lab/beagle whatever mix...the nicest sweetest dog in the world, never does anything wrong and the pound was going to put him down for no reason!!!!
People can be really sick sometimes, I hate people that abuse animals. To me they are no better than some piece of trash that should be thrown out.
All the animals in the world need a Bono to speak for them and stop cruelty against them.

Dismantled, it makes me glad to read that you got your pet from a rescue shelter. There are so many animals that are given up for selfish human reasons and by you adopting the furball literally gives him a second chance at life. So many just go for the expensive puppies from breeders...I can tell you've got a big heart! :hug:

Any pics of the little terror by the way? :wink:

starsgoblue said:
Dismantled, it makes me glad to read that you got your pet from a rescue shelter. There are so many animals that are given up for selfish human reasons and by you adopting the furball literally gives him a second chance at life. So many just go for the expensive puppies from breeders...I can tell you've got a big heart! :hug:

:up: Ditto! I got my first cat from the lab a my school and they get them from local shelters. My second cat I got at Petsmart, but the store only hosts local shelters and rescue missions, they don't sell kittens for profit, so she was really a rescued kitty. Although I don't have anything against breeders either (professionals I mean, not those horrid puppy mills!). Some people need to have dogs with specific characteristics or like the assurance that the dog has a healthy lineage. For example, someday I'd REALLY like a german shepherd b/c they're just intuitively working dogs that are extremely obedient and loyal when trained correctly. My uncle has always bought expensive labs, but he's a DNR officer and needs an extremely well trained, well behaved dog to help him on the job. He also uses them to retrieve while he's bird hunting. Someday I'd also like to train some Paws for a Cause puppies, although I'm a little worried I'd get too attached.

You can find all sorts of wonderful pets in a shelter. I actually think they are grateful for it also. I feel so bad for all of them....just thinking abou t them sitting in there little cages waiting for someone to come take them home....the sad thing is some of them never get to go home:(
That is why I support and buy all my stuff from stores like PetSmart.....they don't sell cats and dogs, they are big into adoptions. I don't support the skanky pet stores who buy dogs from puppy mills. Although its hard....they are living little fuzz balls also that need a home.
Sorry I don't have any photos of him at the moment, but if you can imagine a german shepard...with a beagle head and shrunk down to below knee level.....thats him!

Death to puppymills!!!:madspit:

THis is something I think is worth fighting for, we need to start a club or something.....no a gang...a gang is much more scary than a club...........

Dismantled said:
Death to puppymills!!!:madspit:

THis is something I think is worth fighting for, we need to start a club or something.....no a gang...a gang is much more scary than a club...........

Personally, I see no reason for pet stores to be allowed to sell cats and dogs. If you want a cat or dog, either pick one out at a shelter (or through a store that works with a shelter, like Petsmart or Pet Supplies Plus) or go to a private reputable breeder. There's a petstore 45 minutes away that I like and I considered getting a kitten there, but one day the door to the back was open and I saw a caged adult female calico. I'm assuming they just keep her in the back and use her to constantly deliver litters. :(

Bring em' down!!! I did once.......this really sleazy pet store opened near my house when I was in high school. Anyway my best friend and I went in there once and couldn't believe what we saw!!! It was horrible....first of all it was like in a run down nasty store front.....there were puppies for sale and thier eyes were NOT EVEN OPEN YET! There was kittens crammed into small cages...like 7-8 in a small cage and no litter box and nothing was cleaned for weeks it seemend. Poor rabbits in urine soaked litter and sores on his feet...birds with half its feathers missing. I was horrified and had to do something about it.
ONe call to a Animal Humane league and that place was history! Actually we called, the next day the people running the place took off leaving all the animals behind. But luckly they were saved.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Personally, I see no reason for pet stores to be allowed to sell cats and dogs. If you want a cat or dog, either pick one out at a shelter (or through a store that works with a shelter, like Petsmart or Pet Supplies Plus) or go to a private reputable breeder. There's a petstore 45 minutes away that I like and I considered getting a kitten there, but one day the door to the back was open and I saw a caged adult female calico. I'm assuming they just keep her in the back and use her to constantly deliver litters. :(

Hmm, I've heard some bad stories about Petco, but they don't sell dogs. I do however, work a pet store, and we do sell puppies, but we only get them from U.S.D.A inspected and licensed private breeders.

There is more regulation, as stores, at least in my state, have to abide by laws concerning the sale of dogs. Also, some people want puppies that are purebred, with papers, can't always get that from shelters. That, and pet stores sell puppies because there is a demand for it, unfortunately that's a reason.

It's not fair to assume why the cat was back there, was to breed kittens. Could be to quarantine it from other animals, it could have a medical condition, and is back there so kids won't tease it and rile it up. We try to find homes for people who abandon their older cats, or can't keep their kittens cos their cat got pregnant. The kittens get vaccinated, de-wormed, (which they don't always get when just given away). We do sell them, but figure, people will take better care of something they paid for, rather than were given for free, which is why we then sell the kittens.

Similar principle with puppies. If someone pays $1000+ for a puppy, they're least likely to give it up to a shelter, abandon it, than if someone gave away puppies for free. That's not necessarily true, people can adore a dog if they got it for free, but there's so many dogs in shelters, you wonder about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom