PLEBA Misc News and Articles #4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah try the book store, Barnes & Noble carries it here. They carry about 5 different international versions of Vogue. But they told me they only get 3 copies in from each country. And there are 3 different covers this month! I checked like 10 stores and none of them got the Bono cover, until I finally found 1 copy in the last store I went to. It was my last hope and they had it! :lol: Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I didn't even start to look.

U2 Among America's Favorite Music Artists

(RTTNews) - U2 came in at number two on a poll of America's favorite musical artists.

According to a Harris poll, the Irish rockers came in only behind Celine Dion, who took the number-one spot. Elvis Presley and the Beatles were tied at number three. Tim McGraw, Lady Gaga, George Strait, Rascal Flatts, Alan Jackson and Frank Sinatra rounded out the top ten.

The online poll was conducted in March, with 2,230 adults participating.

In the same poll, U2 was named the favorite band of Republicans, while Dion took the prize for Democrats. Independents preferred the Beatles.

U2 were also preferred by rich people, with the band topping the list for those with a household income of $75,000 or more. The Beatles were the pick for those making less than $35,000. Celine Dion was the favorite for the middle income groups.

Mrs Bono on how fashion can save the world

The U2 star’s wife, Ali Hewson, is determined to shrug off the sackcloth image of ethical fashion. Now she has extra backing

It’s not like doing an interview in Carnaby Street or Hoxton. To reach this particular fashion hot spot, I took two planes — to Amsterdam, then Entebbe — drove north for five hours to the world’s most malarial zone, home to outbreaks of ebola and civil war, and rattled for a further 90 minutes, along deeply pitted roads, till the van could go no further.
Climbing out, I nervously descended a sheer cliff, then hacked through the bush to find... not Mr Kurtz, the elusive genius of Conrad’s Heart of Darkness, but Ali Hewson, sitting in the golden sunlight of the late afternoon beside a stunning waterfall, surrounded by hair and make-up, stylist, photographer and assistant, marketing director, new chief executive and at least a couple of unspecified others from her New York PR firm, one of them armed with machetes.
Oh, and a couple of topless models. Hewson, the glamorous figurehead of the ethical fashion movement, but also a mother of four, asks mildly why the models must be topless, only to be told that the idea came from her husband. Bono, U2’s singer (real name Paul Hewson), is not present, but had given instructions that the pictures be as sexy as possible, to avoid the slightest danger that the ethical clothing produced by their company, Edun, might appear too worthy to wear.
Ethical clothing: this dismal, reproachful term has been kicking around for some time, but since Edun sold a 49% stake to the fashion conglomerate LVMH last May, it has definitively gone mainstream. But what exactly does ethical mean? Organic? Fairtrade? Off-white and itchy? I’m hoping that by following Hewson round in Uganda, I may find out — and discover whether it can really be good business. I’ve been sent because I had the folly to write a book about my own struggles with wholesome clothing — spurred by climate change, recession and general what’s-it-all-about angst — concluding that the best way to avoid exploiting the planet or other people, and to stop worrying and enjoy the moment, was to make my own clothes, preferably using local materials, right down to a pair of Y-fronts that I crocheted out of nettle. It was fun, but I grant that most people won’t do the same, so the clothing industry still has a future.
Hewson, 49, is pretty, with terrific skin, and in good shape thanks to a regime that includes yoga (“but not ashtanga, which did for my knee”). Compared with other rock-star wives you could mention, she’s unassuming and good-natured. She talks enthusiastically about livestock at her home in Dublin — they’re about to install beehives — and the miracle of watching plants grow from seed (which makes her believe there is “a higher intelligence”). And she dips constantly into her handbag to supply all around her with bug spray, oatcakes, pumpkin seeds and dried pineapple. Not for nothing did Bono, who met her at school, write a song about Ali called The Sweetest Thing.
Ever since Live Aid in the 1980s, the Hewsons have been committed to tackling global poverty. In 2005 they decided to set up Edun. By then, Bono had engaged with governments and finance at the highest levels. “But we wanted to see how things function on the ground,” Hewson says, “and put our money where our mouths were.”
Africa should not merely wait for handouts, they felt, but establish a sustainable, self-propelled escape from poverty and assorted trouble through trade. Edun would help to bring that about by providing a reliable market for raw materials such as cotton, as well as encouraging others to trade with Africa. “Few understand that fashion is so powerful,” she says. “It is not superficial, as so many think. It has the ability to change lives and lift millions out of poverty.” In other words, the ethical focus was people, rather than the planet — although, as we’ll see, the two are connected.
The company’s good works have been impressive, and not only in Uganda, which Hewson is visiting for the first time. Until recently, the north of the country was regarded as a no-go zone. For a decade, about 2m people were stuck in displaced person’s camps, chased there by their own government lest they were harbouring rebels in their mud huts. Many had cattle stolen by government troops and children abducted by rebels. After relying on UN handouts for so long, many more became lazy. Others were psychologically shattered by conflict. A small minority kept the farming spirit alive by sneaking off to walk mile after mile under the equatorial sun to cultivate hanky-sized corners of their neglected land for food. These impressive individuals have been selected by Edun as “lead farmers” in each village.
After the fashion shoot, Hewson’s sizeable entourage travelled to one village to meet the farmers who supplied a decent cotton crop last year. Everyone present made a speech, even me. It was desperately moving — I don’t mean my speech — but I worried that our visit may have given false hopes. The sheer novelty of seeing so many white people in their village, where none had been before, struck them as terrifically auspicious.
As well as helping farmers to grow cotton, Edun wants to buy them engines to process their own harvest, separating the cotton lint from the seeds, which are a valuable source of edible oil and cattle feed. We also visited a school where Edun is working with a local NGO to provide scholarships and fund structural improvements. Another project it is investigating is how to provide nets to save lives in a part of Africa where people are bitten, on average, 1,571 times a year by malarial mosquitos.
Has Edun ever set a limit to the scope of its good works? “No, there was no limit,” Hewson says, with a mildly sheepish expression that acknowledges this mission creep might have been unbusinesslike. Alas, they failed to put similar efforts into the fashion end. Though given slack by an industry eager to see it do well, by common consent Edun’s designs left a lot to be desired.
The Hewsons were effectively pouring money into helping Africa, but their chosen vehicle — a fashion label — obstinately refused to establish itself as a business, until a fortuitous meeting a couple of years ago. Ali and Bono were having lunch with friends and discovered, among the other guests, Bernard Arnault, chairman and CEO of the fashion conglomerate LVMH. Bono asked his advice — and now Edun is part of the LVMH stable of luxury brands, standing alongside Céline, Louis Vuitton and Dior. Arnault acknowledged Edun as a pioneer, and said that LVMH shared its “vision and ethical values”, and was committed to advancing them further.
One of Arnault’s first moves was to install a tough new CEO, Janice Sullivan, who has worked for DKNY and, most recently, CK Jeans. A ballsy American, very much focused on fashion, she has come to Uganda with Hewson to ask the difficult questions. In a cotton field, she wants to know how much smaller the yield is when you farm organically; later, she asks what kind of premium is payable for organic cotton. The answers, although hedged with qualification, allow her to conclude that organic can conceivably turn a profit.
Are the Hewsons happy to have given up so much control to a conglomerate that has not, hitherto, been particularly well known for its ethical stance? They are, Hewson says, because they spent two years negotiating a contract that enshrines everything they stand for in the company’s constitution: specifically, respect for the people who make the clothes, the communities they live in, the materials they use and, ultimately, the consumer.
All that remains is to get the design right. In January, Edun appointed a new creative director, the Paris-based, Irish-born designer Sharon Wauchob, to give a cool coherence to the clothes.
The day before we leave, over breakfast of powdered coffee and plastic toast at the best hotel in town — little better than a run-down British youth hostel — I ask Hewson if she shouldn’t be helping her neighbours closer to home.
Forget Ugandan cotton, what about Irish linen? That, too, had a strong tradition once. Why not set up a factory in Ireland? She thinks carefully before replying: “We live in Ireland, and it’s given us a great life. It’s tough in Ireland, but it’s much tougher here.”
Then the tough cookie from LVMH cuts in. “Her job is not to open factories,” Sullivan tells me firmly. “I want Edun to be a big brand, extraordinarily successful.” She stops, smiles, carries on. “The more successful we are, the more people we can help.”

(RTTNews) - U2 came in at number two on a poll of America's favorite musical artists.

According to a Harris poll, the Irish rockers came in only behind Celine Dion, who took the number-one spot. Elvis Presley and the Beatles were tied at number three. Tim McGraw, Lady Gaga, George Strait, Rascal Flatts, Alan Jackson and Frank Sinatra rounded out the top ten.

In the same poll, U2 was named the favorite band of Republicans, while Dion took the prize for Democrats. Independents preferred the Beatles.

U2 were also preferred by rich people, with the band topping the list for those with a household income of $75,000 or more. The Beatles were the pick for those making less than $35,000. Celine Dion was the favorite for the middle income groups.

:hmm: Very interesting statistics, and not actually what I would have expected.

And Celine Dion...that's so random!!! :lol: But it's very cool to see this about America, at least represented by however many people they surveyed.

Favourite band of republicans?! o___O:|

Bono's throwing a secret birthday bash in New York! I bet that's why he had to catch a flight when he was in Toronto yesterday, maybe he had the party last night

By Melanie Finn

Saturday May 08 2010

He may seem like an ageless rock rebel -- but U2 frontman Bono will celebrate his 50th birthday this weekend.
And the charity worker is intent on doing his best to ensure it's an occasion to remember by throwing a birthday bash for his closest family and friends.
The Dublin-born singer, who turns 50 on Monday, is hosting an intimate party for dozens of his nearest and dearest at a top secret location in New York this weekend.
He and his chart-topping bandmates Adam Clayton, the Edge and Larry Mullen have been working in the States for the past few weeks as they gear up for the next leg of their U2 360 tour, which is set to kick off in Salt Lake City on June 3.
"Turning 50 is a big event for anyone, let alone someone as iconic as Bono, so it's going to be like an impressive event which will see him pulling out all the stops," said an insider.
"All his family are flying over from Dublin for the event and many of his famous pals will be there to help him celebrate, as it's not every day you celebrate the big five-oh."
His musician pal Gavin Friday marked his milestone birthday with a VIP bash in New York's Carnegie Hall last October and if his party was anything to go by, Bono's will be even more memorable.
The pair have been best pals for more than three decades and share a similar circle of friends in their tight-knit circle -- many of whom will also be at the singer's bash.
Attendees at Friday's star-studded event included Hollywood bombshell Scarlett Johansson alongside Courtney Love, toothless hellraiser Shane MacGowan and Christy Turlington with hubbie Ed Harris.
Also spotted was Johnny Ronan, Robbie Fox, businessman Oliver Caffrey, Dunnes Stores heir Andrew Heffernan and former manager of Hothouse Flowers Robbie Wootton.
Speaking previously about getting older, Bono said he didn't mind the ageing process as it was a natural part of life.
"I do like it. I think when I'm 60, I'll finally be cool," he stated.
Earlier this week Bono pre-record a special tribute to his late pal Gerry Ryan.
He had hoped to fly back home to attend the Clontarf funeral but travel chaos from the Icelandic volcano put paid to his plans.
Instead, he performed a special version of With or Without You, which was received by RTE on the morning of the funeral.
The packed congregation listened as told them: "Calling from New York on the Ryan Line. The Ryan line's still open."
At the end of his emotional performance, he added: "Goodbye Gerry, see you down the road."

Bono interviews Obama for the Africa Century Globe edition

A sneak peek at our special Q&A that will appear in full on Monday
Globe and Mail Update Published on Sunday, May. 09, 2010 5:05PM EDT Last updated on Sunday, May. 09, 2010 6:01PM EDT

During the Africa Century guest edit on Saturday, Bono said he was meeting U.S. President Barack Obama at the White House recently, and had his upcoming stint at The Globe in mind. “Obama was walking out the door of the Oval Office and I said ‘by the way...’ Poor guy,” Bono said. The meeting prompted the following exchange.
Here’s one of the questions; for the complete interview come back Monday.
Bono: What’s your most vivid memory from your last trip to Africa?
President Obama: Stepping off the plane in Accra [capital of Ghana] and being met not just by the sitting President, John Atta Mills, but also by the political opponent he very narrowly defeated in Ghana’s last hard-fought but peaceful and fair election. Their presence there together was such a powerful symbol of Ghana’s pride in its own democracy. Governments that are accountable to their citizens, and that accept the important role of peaceful opposition parties, are essential ingredients of any solid and sustainable development plan, and to any effort to build lasting peace and stability

Ode to Bono at 50

Maybe there's something to Bono's God complex after all?
He's the world's biggest rock star in the world's biggest rock band. He's been superheroic in using charm, tact and the rare bipartisan politics in raising millions in the fight against global AIDS and extreme poverty.
But that, ladies and gentlemen of the congregation, is nothing compared to today's deifying feat, as Bono thwarts sociological stigma and the very tenets of the space-time continuum …
… and turns 50 years old.
Yep, a half-century ago, in the Rotunda Hospital in Dublin, Paul Hewson was born, presumably with really cool specs on.
It says a lot about popular culture, and our world in general, that the most virile celebrity in all the land is 50 years old. Heck, the second-most virile is that unfairly handsome rake George Clooney; he's 49. And don't forget Madonna is 51.
For all the nattering about Young Hollywood — your Lindsays, your Mileys, your Biebers — the core of respect, of energy, of ol' fashioned sex appeal currently resides with the Gray Hairs.
(By the way, the fact that I just turned 40 has nothing to do with this hypothesis. Nope. Nada.)
Bono, in many respects, has never been more potent, more Bono-ish, than he is right now. U2's frontman can still sing for sure, that low repentant moan still as vital as his high holy falsetto. And when they want to, the Irish lads can still slay an arena. Most concerts are a party, a night out; U2 shows are an event, the highs of which are life-affirming.
Never mind that, had Bono been born in Dublin, Ohio, he'd officially be eligible for the AARP.
In a large sense, Bono turning the Big Five-Oh is a cause for celebration. However, in assessing the state of rock 'n' roll, it's a bit troubling. U2's last few albums, especially 2009's No Line on the Horizon, have been decidedly so-so, a handful of hits and a whole lot of same-sounding filler.
But more than that, U2 is a rarity, a rock band that also acts as great equalizer. You can be a country fan, a rap fan, a classical fan — but everyone is a U2 fan. As Bono and his mates get older, so does the notion of rock 'n' roll as uplifting communal uniter.
But enough of that.
Let's celebrate, shall we?
Crank Achtung Baby. Donate money to the One charity. Wear your sunglasses inside the house.
Happy 50th, Bono.
It's a Beautiful Day, indeed

lol I'm a Gleek too (me and my sister go nuts every tuesday night :)) but I can't stand people singing U2 songs who aren't U2, lol im just crazy like that :lol::D
(I did love Glee's Madonna episode...funny stuff!)

Bono Turns 50

U2 frontman BONO is celebrating his 50th birthday on Monday (10May10), marking a career which has taken him from early rehearsals in a pal's kitchen to international rock star, leading campaigner on humanitarian issues, and Nobel Peace Prize nominee.
The singer formed U2 in 1976 after answering an advert for musicians posted by drummer Larry Mullen, Jr., joining him, guitarist The Edge, and bass player Adam Clayton for auditions in Mullen's kitchen.
He is now one of the most famous and iconic frontmen in rock - and to celebrate his landmark birthday, WENN has collected 10 fascinating facts about Bono.
- Born Paul David Hewson, the rocker's nickname derives from the Latin word "bonavox" - meaning "good voice".
- His various humanitarian work around the globe and his efforts to raise awareness of Aids in Africa earned him the Nobel Peace Prize's Man of Peace title in 2008. He was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2003.
- His favourite food is fish and chips, and his favourite drink is Jack Daniels or tea.
- Bono is a keen chess player, falling in love with the game at the age of 12 after he became "fascinated" with its grandmasters.
- In 2007, he was given an honorary knighthood by Britain's Queen Elizabeth II for his tireless campaigning.
- The singer's trademark sunglasses are not just a rock 'n' roll fashion statement - his eyes are over-sensitive to light.
- Bono has enjoyed several forays into acting - he had small roles in Million Dollar Hotel and Across The Universe.
- During U2's Zoo TV Tour in the early 1990s, Bono's onstage alter-egos included The Fly, Mirror Ball Man, and Mr. MACPhisto.
- Bono and his U2 bandmates were nominated for a Best Original Song Oscar in 2003 for the track The Hands That Built America, which featured on Gangs of New York - but lost out to Eminem's Lose Yourself, from the movie 8 Mile.
- He has collaborated with a huge range of artists in his career - including Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Cash, Jennifer Lopez, Frank Sinatra, and Luciano Pavarotti.

It's a beautiful day as Bono turns 50

Irish rock star Bono is celebrating a major milestone today, his 50th birthday.
Paul David Hewson was born in 1960 and became famous more than 18 years later under his stage name, Bono, as the front man for U2.
Bono has spent many of his years as a campaigner against poverty, disease and AIDS.
But when he's not on stage, or saving the planet, he's the father of 4 kids, and husband to Ali Hewson, who he met at school.

Bono attends charity gala in New York

NEW YORK, May 6 (UPI) -- Rock icon Bono attended the American Ireland
Fund's 35th anniversary New York gala, which raised $3 million for
Irish and Irish-American projects Thursday.

The U2 front man joined former President Bill Clinton, Mayor Michael
Bloomberg and 1,300 members of the Irish-American business, political
and arts communities at the event at Manhattan's Lincoln Center.

"Despite the economic downturn on both sides of the Atlantic, this
year's special anniversary gala -- one of the largest annual events of
its kind among the global Irish Diaspora -- surpassed the American
Ireland Fund's target of $2.5 million," organizers said.

"One of the big disappointments of my young life was when the piano
was taken from my grandmother's house," Bono told the crowd at Lincoln
Center. "Luckily for me, I went on to a school with a strong music
facility. As a band we believe music tuition should be available to
anyone who wants it. It greatly benefits the individual, which in turn
benefits the country. We hope the National Music Tuition Program will
inspire Ireland's young musicians, who might not otherwise get access
to such valuable teaching."

Proceeds from the gala are intended to benefit a range of projects
across Ireland as well as in the United States. The first two checks
cut on the night, for $500,000 and $200,000 respectively, were for the
Music Network in Ireland and the Forgotten Irish in New York,
organizers said

Bono & Bob Geldof answer some questions put to them by The Globe and Mail

A ‘sacred promise’ to the poor, a pressing challenge to Canada - The Globe and Mail

africa-nolen10nw_635281gm-a.jpg

Stephanie Nolen

Globe and Mail Update Published on Sunday, May. 09, 2010 11:04PM EDT Last updated on Sunday, May. 09, 2010 11:53PM EDT

Gentlemen, since we announced that you’d be guest-editing an issue on the future of Africa, we’ve been deluged with sharp comments from readers who want to know why we’re asking two white European rock stars about the future of Africa and not, say, Africans. What would you tell them?

Bob Geldof: We don’t, in any way, claim to be spokesmen for Africa. That would be insulting and absurd. In both our cases we’re interested in the issue of poverty. It seems to both of us to be an odd discrepancy, especially when the world, though it doesn’t appear to be right now, has never been richer.

Bono: Absurdity is the word I’d use.

Geldof: In 2005, we [were part of a group who pushed to] focus the G8 on delivering a doubling of aid to Africa and total debt cancellation by 2010. [Since then we have] dogged the G8’s footsteps to do what they said they would do. We believe that when a politician makes a promise to the poorest people of the planet it’s an almost sacred promise because it’s a promise from the powerful to the weak, from the rich to the poor and if you fail to keep it then there are horrendous consequences … so we asked an English paper, Could we edit one of their editions? They agreed. [It became] a tradition. The Japanese, the Italians, the Germans have allowed us to take the major paper of record and allowed the two of us to focus for just one day on one of the great problems of the 21st century, poverty.

Bono: What we try to do, because we come out of pop culture, is take the issues that are so often obfuscated with arguments at a very high level for and against aid and we try to make them more accessible for people and to just … to remind people there are some very achievable goals here.

I do accept the rather cringe-worthy photograph that often accompanies our work where you have rich rock stars next to the most vulnerable people in the world, we are sometimes embarrassed by this juxtaposition but if that’s what it takes to divert attention to the arguments then I’ll put up with the embarrassment.

Geldof: The longevity of our interest might give us a shred of cred, you know, I mean we’ve been doing this a long time.

Bono: Can I also point out, in the end, luminous – or loony [nods at Geldof] – personalities won’t rule the day. Social movements are what it takes to change things and the reason why it’s important that we in the North take an interest in this is that it’s decisions north of the equator that heavily impact the lives of the most vulnerable. We’ve learned this from bad trade agreements to the unfair debt cancellation agreements and lack of access to drugs you can find in any drug store.

Canada is not isolated from that and these decisions taken in offices and in government here really affect real men, women and children. They have names. They’ve got aspirations. And the more you meet them the more you can’t deny them. Our job is to help people to meet them through our conversation, through editing The Globe and Mail, so that if there is somebody with the strength of will and purpose who is ready to do the unpopular thing at home – because clearly building a school in a constituency in Ottawa or in Quebec will earn you more votes than building one in Malawi – we will be wind at your back, if you take that on.

It’s 2010: what’s the status on the commitments you received from G8 leaders five years ago?

Geldof: It’s looking pretty good, you know. Within nine months of Live 8, we had total debt cancellation.

Bono: These complex issues like debt cancellation, I think we helped to make them popular and then the people who got out on the streets and who got active and got busy now can point to real results, such as 42 million children in school. This actually makes two points. One, that it’s possible to change the game north of the equator. Two, that African leaders can make good with where they put their money.

Geldof: In 2002, only 50,000 [Africans] at the epicentre of the AIDS pandemic could get [antiretrovirals] because there were no drugs available and they had no money to pay for them. Within three and a half years, there were 3.7 million people getting them for free. That’s staggering. And ordinary people achieved that by their concern and activism.

I get the impression you’re feeling somewhat let down by Canada, in terms of its G8 commitments.

Bono: You know, I was the person going, “the world needs more Canada” and just as we were saying that [in 2003] Canada sort of seemed to narrow its ambition for what was possible in the development agenda. And maybe we got that wrong. Maybe we were too stringent. Maybe we were too harsh in our criticisms of people who are truly elected representatives and we’re not.

And what we have got to do now is to try and reconnect those dots and have Canadian people say, left or right, this mustn’t be held hostage by all corny politics. Just say, this is who we are as Canadians. [Foreign aid] is a tiny, tiny percentage. [Canadians can say] we’ve done so well because of good leadership. We haven’t suffered the market meltdown. But there’s another kind of meltdown, which is the moral sort of abdication – and that has repercussions.

What would you say Canadians, people in the developed world, perhaps don’t realize about Africa?

Geldof: That it’s strategic.

Bono: That’s it, exactly.

Geldof: There’s a new perspective looming up. There’s a different world emerging. China is one part of it, but Africa’s going to have strategic importance. The politicians keep seeing it through the old prism of “it’s our obligation to give them aid,” and we’ve got to change that.

Some of our readers are going to look at this issue and say, “But we did so much: debt cancellation; increased aid. You can buy an iPod now to raise money for ARVs. But Africa’s still a disaster.”

Geldof: When someone says we’ve done this and we’ve done that and nothing’s changed … they are wrong, all of those things worked and were excellent but the amount was ultimately so tiny and the problem of human suffering is so vast.

Bono: [Interrupts] No, but it is changing. It’s a completely different landscape. In the next five years, malaria will almost be chased off the continent, the dreaded Anopheles mosquito that kills two and a half thousand kids a day in Africa. We’re winning and energy moving forward is attractive.

How has your engagement with Africa, with poverty, changed over the years?

Bono: A lot of people realize that the real way out of poverty is never aid. It’s commerce. I didn’t get into becoming an activist thinking like that but I’ve learned that. It’s quite sad that I, as an activist, who came to this preferably prepared to be on the barricades with a handkerchief over my nose, [laughing] have ended up now myself aroused by the sight of cement mixers, the roads being built.

Geldof: Ultimately, they will get out of this condition through trade but for that, you need to build coherent institutions and that will require Africans themselves building them and that requires civil society and that requires people alive and being able to gather together. And that’s what aid does, it stabilizes the situation at a very low level, basic agriculture, basic health and basic education.

In 2002, Bono, you and I had a conversation in Uganda, you had just come from Soweto where you met a man named Jonah, who, you said, “looked like more of a rock star than I ever will.” His wife had died of AIDS, he had nearly died, before he got the drugs through a Doctors Without Borders project. And he had fallen in love with someone new. You told me how he told you, “What do I do? I can share the drugs with her and we both die slowly. I can give her my drugs and then both of my children lose their last parent. Or I can keep the drugs and lose the love of my life.” And you told me how haunted you were by his situation.

Bono: It’s extraordinary to think back to that conversation. It really was not that long ago. The change is extraordinary.

Thinking back to Jonah, considering the progress – is there a person who stands out for you the same way now?

Bono: In March, I went to a clinic in Kenya, a Project Red clinic, and I met this woman and her kid Timothy. He was 4 but he looked 2. And she was distressed and I said, “What’s going wrong,” and they said, “Well, Timothy is in a bad …” and I said, “What’s the problem,” and they said “Well, he’s got a complication and we don’t have the drugs for him.” This is one of our clinics! And [the nurse] said, “Well, actually they’re expensive drugs and they’re not [available here].” And I said, “Hold on, they must be available somewhere.” And he said “Well, we can’t buy them.” So I said, “I’ll fucking buy them, just get me them.” So we went and bought the drugs and came back to the hospital. But the kid’s dead. Timothy. And when we’ve met him … And then I just thought, Timothy: the name means “Honour God,” but I thought I would honour Timothy. Because that’s who we work for actually.

Stephanie Nolen was The Globe’s Africa bureau chief from 2003 to 2008 and is the author of 28: Stories of AIDS in Africa.

50 Things to Love About Bono on His 50th Birthday

@U2, May 10, 2010
By: Matt McGee and staff

While working on this essay last week, I had managed to list about 40 to 45 things to love about Bono when it occurred to me that I should get some input from the rest of the @U2 staff. I sent out an e-mail without sharing the list I'd already put together and invited the gang to make some suggestions for things I shouldn't forget to include.

Within a couple of hours, I had more than enough suggestions. Too many! That's a testament to who Bono is and what he stands for. It's also proof that this will be an easier essay to write when he turns 100 years old. But for now, Bono's only celebrating his 50th birthday.

50 Things to Love About Bono

So, in the same way that we honored Adam Clayton at 50 years old two months ago, we're proud to present 50 Things to Love About Bono on His 50th Birthday.

1. His voice.

2. "Chune" -- the way he says "tune."

3. His ultra-high platform shoes, or perhaps the insecurity they seem to represent.

4. The goofiness and neediness that prompted all those stage-climbing episodes in the early 1980s.

5. That he got the Pope to wear his shades. http://www.flickr.com/photos/atu2com/53605797/

6. His "F**k the revolution" rant from Rattle and Hum.

7. He still has 44 years until he looks like this. http://www.atu2blog.com/bono-94/340/

8. He never actually looked like this. http://www.atu2blog.com/that-70s-bono/260/

9. His willingness to have real conversations with fans in one-on-one settings, and that he seems to actually relish those conversations. http://www.atu2blog.com/you-and-bono-alone-in-a-restaurant/2005/

10. His head.

11. His heart.

12. His faith.

13. The way he waves at himself like a goofy kid during "Where the Streets Have No Name" on the Zoo TV: Live From Sydney video.

14. The way he struggles to remember his own lyrics. http://www.atu2blog.com/bono-forgetful/400/

15. His recital of the John F. Deane poem, Driving to Midnight Mass. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwiOBFaC6oo

16. His successful marriage.

17. He has a cool wife who'll interrupt a private walk with her man to take pictures of him with admiring fans. http://www.atu2blog.com/ali-would-you-mind-taking-a-photo/646/

18. The lyrics of "Running to Stand Still." http://www.atu2.com/lyrics/songinfo.src?SID=336

19. His willingness to stick his neck out about things that matter to him, even when he knows it makes an easy target for people to chop off.

20. He's the only rock star who might really, actually, seriously, be able to save the world. http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020304/story.html

21. The Fly. And MacPhisto, of course.

22. He does a pretty good Luciano Pavarotti impression. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euGFdZ5UUuI

23. The way he gets inside the songs when U2 performs live. http://www.flickr.com/photos/pleeker/57936913/

24. Great one-liners like "The latest and greatest in software, hardware and men's wear."

25. His never-ending ambition.

26. His never-ending loyalty to friends, forming a "band of brothers" not only with Edge, Adam and Larry, but also with pre-U2 friends like Gavin Friday and Guggi.

27. The hug he gives to Graceland Tour Guide Girl in Rattle and Hum while selling her on the idea of letting his friend, Larry, sit on Elvis' Harley.

28. His performance in the video for "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjtWlulx3eA

29. His lyrics for "The Fly." Well, his lyrics for all of Achtung Baby, actually. Except maybe "Wild Horses." But 11 out of 12 are golden. http://www.atu2.com/lyrics/songinfo.src?SID=385 http://www.atu2.com/lyrics/tracks.src?VID=18

30. He has a way with ladies (of the cloth). http://www.flickr.com/photos/atu2com/3757289288/

31. My wife wants me to include his wink to the camera in the middle of Rattle and Hum. And his stare at the camera during the "One" music video -- the one where he's singing in the bar. She also mentioned something about a bubble bath photo. I assume you girls know what she's talking about?

32. What other rock star has been suggested as replacements for the pope and the president of the World Bank? http://www.atu2blog.com/bono-the-first/17/
http://www.atu2.com/news/editorial-bono-for-the-world-bank.html

33. Dude has mad hops. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dreadfuldan/402029274/

34. The leg kick that opened up all the shows on the Zoo TV tour.

35. He has a strong sense of self, as evidenced by how he described himself to Michka Assayas a few years ago:

"I'm a scribbling, cigar-smoking, wine-drinking, Bible-reading band man. A show-off [laughs] ... who loves to paint pictures of what I can't see. A husband, father, friend of the poor and sometimes the rich. An activist traveling salesman of ideas. Chess player, part-time rock star, opera singer, in the loudest folk group in the world."

36. He's a pretty good writer, and I'm not talking about song lyrics with this one.

37. His commercial voiceover skills, especially on the recent ESPN/FIFA World Cup TV spot. http://www.atu2blog.com/bono-voices-espn-fifa-world-cup-commercial/2534/

38. All the promises he makes from ... one album to the next.

39. His penchant for public graffiti, like on the faces of celebrity posters or public art. http://www.atu2blog.com/bono-step-away-from-the-sharpie/416/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5qinlKbVOc

40. "The leap" at Live Aid.

41. He delivers some mean speeches. Just ask Frank Sinatra and the NAACP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdRk2oo3jRg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6P6v4bNxJQ

42. His performance in the video for "The Sweetest Thing."

43. Nobody, and I mean nobody looks better wearing a green guitar. http://www.flickr.com/photos/atu2com/3921698400/in/set-72157622359625886/

44. And who else can rock a silver suit from head to toe quite like he can? http://www.flickr.com/photos/atu2com/3756507498/

45. You can bring him home in cookie or olive oil form. http://www.atu2blog.com/i-can-now-confirm/229/ http://www.atu2blog.com/a-taste-of-bono/1189/

46. That silly drumming he did on the Vertigo Tour. http://bonodrumming.com/

47. The way he seems to be summoning the Spirit with that guttural bellowing that precedes "Streets" on the U2 Go Home: Live From Slane Castle video.

48. His sense of justice.

49. His tireless passion to do well by the world's poor and sick.

50. He's a hero to a lot of fans, but he knows who the real heroes are. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tofubeast/228400965/

Happy birthday, Bono!

(c) @U2, 2010.

50 Things to Love About Bono on His 50th Birthday

http://www.atu2.com/news/50-things-to-love-about-adam-clayton-on-his-50th-birthday.html

Bono's Top 10 Humanitarian Moments
BY LISA GERMINSKY | MONDAY, MAY 10, 2010 11:00 AM ET

Happy birthday, Bono! We can't wait to see what you do in the next 50!

We will be forever indebted to the U2 frontman for his musical contributions alone, so it's hard to come up with an appropriate thank you for all the humanitarian work Bono has done over the years. As one of the most influential activists of our time turns 50, we pay tribute with a top 10 list of his humanitarian moments — and there are many to choose from.

1. Band-Aid - Among Bono's earliest philanthropic endeavors was his participation in Bob Geldorf's Band-Aid, production of "Do They Know It's Christmas Time." The supergroup benefited relief efforts for the famine in Ethiopia. The 1984 single was among the music industry's first and most memorable collective philanthropic efforts.

2. DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa) - The first Bono/Bobby Shriver collaboration. The nonprofit was founded in 2002 in partnership with Jubilee 2000. DATA would later become part of the ONE Campaign.

3. Conspiracy of Hope Tour - In 1986 Bono joined Sting, famous for his advocacy for Amnesty International, on a tour benefiting the organization. If you were old enough to go to concerts, you remember that scoring a ticket to these shows was no small feat.

4. ONE - Founded in 2004 with a vision to end extreme poverty and hunger, ONE is now 2 million strong and affecting social change in over ten areas of need including HIV/AIDS, education, debt cancellation, maternal and child health and water and sanitation.

5. Product Red - Perhaps Bono's most widely recognized contribution is his work with Product Red. The revolutionary initiative has successfully harnessed the power of branding and consumerism for affecting social change.

6. EDUN - Before the launching the fashion line with wife, Ali Hewson, and designer Rogan Gregory, mainstream consumers knew little about "clothing with a conscience." Through the creation of eco-friendly designs, EDUN strives to bring fair trade to Africa, instead of simply, aid.

7. TED Prize - In 2005, Bono became one of the first recipient's of the TED Prize. The honor grants one wish to each winner. Not surprisingly, Bono used his wish to help ONE and efforts in Tanzania.

8. Vanity Fair - In 2007 Bono stepped into the role of guest editor and helped publish the July issue called "The Africa Issue: Politics & Power." The magazine featured 20 different covers that month featuring a wide range of activists, politicians and celebrities and their work to help Africa.

9. Man of Peace - In December 2008 the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates bestowed the Man of Peace title on Bono for his extensive and influential humanitarian work.

10. Hope for Haiti - Bono joined forces with long-time bandmate and friend, The Edge, and Jay-Z and Rihanna on the Hope for Haiti Now album. The collaboration, “Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour),”

Bono's Top 10 Humanitarian Moments - Tonic

From Mr. Neil McCormick :cute:

Bono's Half Century

Today (Monday 10th) is Bono’s 50th birthday. The U2 singer has been on the planet for half a century, although for some it will probably seem longer. A band leader since he was 15, a rock star by the time he was 21, a global superstar at the age of 27, Bono has become one of the most ubiquitous celebrities on the planet, straddling the worlds of showbusiness and politics by the bridge of charitable activism.

Immediately recognisable by his trademark sunglasses and bullish Irish charm, Bono may be the most divisive, love-him-or-hate-him character in modern pop culture. For fans, and there are tens of millions of them, he is the greatest rock star of our age, a passionate heir to the pop art activism of John Lennon, leader of one the most extraordinary (and biggest selling) bands of our times. For his detractors, he is an egotistic pain in the neck, a God-bothering do-gooder always sticking his face where it doesn’t belong as a self-appointed, unelected, Messianic representative of the world’s poor, narcissistically boosting his self-esteem by hectoring and cajoling others to think of those worse of than themselves whilst hypocritically living the indulgent life of a super-rich, over-privileged tax dodger. I think that about covers it.

As a long-time friend and admirer, I have never quite understood why people get so upset about someone so obviously trying to do good, and indeed why people are so willing to ascribe negative values to transparently positive intentions. I have defended Bono before, which only unleashes ever increasing torrents of abuse. In my experience as a prolific music blogger, I have learned there are two things you cannot say without drawing the vitriol of poison posters: criticise Abba, or praise Bono.

It seems to me that this polarity of opinion regarding Bono has become so extreme, people no longer treat him as a human being. Rather he is a kind of idea of an image of a caricature of a caricature, and no matter what he says or does it will be twisted one way or another to serve pro and anti opinion of Bono, Saint or Devil.

The peculiar thing for me, of course, is that I not only know Bono, I’ve known him since before he became Bono. He wasn’t always a rock star, but he was always a complex, driven, passionate, mischievous but intensely well-meaning and essentially sincere character. He is a year older than me, and I always looked up to him and considered him a bit of a hero even in the corridors of a comprehensive school in Dublin. He was a nice guy then, and he’s a nice guy now. He’s married to his childhood sweetheart, our classmate Alison Stewart, which would be quite an achievement even if he weren’t a rock star with all the indulgence and privileges that career allows. Such is his media ubiquity, the modern Bono sometimes seems to know every significant figure on the planet, from popes to president to film stars and supermodels, but actually he still hangs out with a lot of the same friends he had back in those days. He’s fun to be around, clever and entertaining and a great includer, so that he draws people in, remembers peoples names, asks about wives and children, makes people feel that it is not all about him but about everyone present. And he’s such a passionate believer in the positive power of people to change the world that he is a hugely inspirational character to be around.

If he does seem a larger than life character it’s because he has allowed his extraordinary life to really fill him up. I love Brian Eno’s response when he was asked about Bono’s big ego. “Bono commits the crime of rising above your station. To the British, it’s the worst thing you can do. Bono is hated for doing something considered unbecoming for a pop star – meddling in things that apparently have nothing to do with him. He has a huge ego, no doubt about it. On the other hand, he has a huge brain and a huge heart. He’s just a big kind of person. That’s not easy for some to deal with. They don’t mind in Italy. They like larger-than-life people there. In most places in the world they don’t mind him. Here, they think he must be conning them.”
I remember the moment that inner rock star was unleashed, in the Mount Temple school gym, in Autumn 1976, when the band that would become U2 played their first show. He stood on a stage of school tables held together by masking tape and, as the band played Peter Frampton’s ‘Show Me The Way’, he picked up the microphone and started to stamp and roar. It was like an electric charge went through the room. The girls in the gymnasium actually started to scream. It was a transformative moment, no doubt about it. “It was really a feeling of liberation,” Bono told me once. “It’s like you’ve jumped into the sea and discovered you can swim. Everything changed for me, cause now I knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.”

And so Bono became a rock star. But he never stopped being himself. He’s fifty years old now, married with children of his own, a loyal husband, a good father, a genuinely nice guy. When I see him now, I can still recognise the boy in the man. I wish more people could see that. But, in thirty years of rock and roll, his detractors haven’t managed to bring him down yet. I’m betting he’s going to be getting on their nerves for a while yet.

That's a beautiful article by Neil :up:

Here's another great one from the Washington Post:

BONO AT 50: THE LEADER WE NEED
The Washington Post, May 10, 2010
By: Nancy Koehn

Today, Bono, the U2 singer, global activist and one of the most powerful leaders on the world stage, turns 50. At this important milestone, it is worth briefly taking stock of his journey thus far -- a journey of purpose, impact, passion, and humor. It is a path with lessons for leaders from all walks of life.
Let's begin by considering all the roads Bono (who was born Paul David Hewson in Dublin) did NOT take as he has traveled these last five decades. He has never been the CEO of a major company. He has never held public office or scored a big campaign contribution. He did not graduate from an elite university. He did not make most of his considerable wealth in the global equity or debt markets.
So what has Bono been up to that accounts for his enormous influence -- influence that extends from the 100,000-seat stadiums that U2 plays to the White House, Vatican, and Downing Street to debt forgiveness and medical aid to Africa? After all, he was not born with cash or connections. His father, Bob Hewson, who was a postal worker, used to tell him not to dream so he would not be disappointed. So how did a curious, restless boy whose mother died when he was 14, leaving him with what he later called a "God-shaped hole" at his core, become a leader who could convince Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Jesse Helms to increase America's aid to Africa more than fourfold, from around $2 billion in 2000 to $8 billion in 2009? Whose Global Fund has committed $19 billion to fighting AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria in 144 countries?
Bono's leadership journey has its roots in U2, the Irish band that he and several schoolmates, including Larry Mullen, Jr., David Evans (who later became known as "The Edge"), and Adam Clayton, founded in 1976. The story of U2's success is one of commerce as much as art. At its center is the creation and stewardship of a very powerful brand, a brand that, in the midst of an ongoing perfect storm of turbulence in the music distribution business, is still going strong around the world.
Another important part of U2's success has been the very profitable business model that the four musicians and their savvy manager Paul McGuiness have developed. It is a model that keeps evolving -- usually a step or two ahead of the gales of creative destruction buffeting the larger industry -- and one that has benefited from a lot of experimentation, ongoing reinvention, and a consistent willingness to challenge industry standards.
But brands and business models are only as good as the product and people behind them. The U2 team, including musicians, management, administrative staff and others, is a vibrant, highly productive organization focused on producing relevant, world-class offerings -- from CDs to stadium tours to films -- that sell briskly in virtually every market on earth. Worldwide, the band has sold more than 140 million records. Its 2005 "Vertigo" tour grossed $389 million, second only to the Rolling Stones for a single-tour gross.
Leading this enterprise has meant keeping the key team members motivated, engaged and growing -- as human beings as well as music makers -- for almost 34 years. Growing the organization four gangly teenagers -- who in 1979 had to sell one of their instruments in order to buy passage home after a short London tour -- to one of the most successful rock bands in history has demanded abiding faith, a steady stream of courage, huge reserves of personal energy, and a disciplined openness to the world as he continues to meet it.
From this solid foundation, Bono has acquired great agency. Not only money for himself and sway with his customers -- music fans of all ages, shapes and sizes -- but also extraordinary access to other movers and shakers as well as influence on a wide range of issues outside rock music. One of the most compelling aspects of Bono's leadership is how he has chosen to use the authority that has accompanied business success. He has decided, over and over again, to put his artistic, political, strategic, and spiritual muscle to work to alleviate suffering in the world's poorest countries.
He talks a lot about justice as animating his work and spirit. But this is perhaps too abstract a term for what Bono seems to be doing on a daily basis. One of the most important things he does every day is to keep educating himself on the people, economies, and pressing problems of developing countries. Many of the experts, including the developmental economist Jeffrey Sachs, have commented on how thoroughly the singer-turned activist does his homework.
A second, important part of Bono's days is leading a spectrum of organizations like the ONE campaign and RED that each advance his broader mission. This involves coordinating these groups and monitoring their progress. As of late 2009, the Global Fund had helped support antiretroviral treatment for 2.5 million people; helped provide 105 million HIV counseling and testing sessions; and helped finance 4.5 million instances of basic care and support services for orphans and vulnerable children. Bono's leadership also involves selling these organizations and their work to all kinds of stakeholders.
Amidst all this activity, Bono keeps turning his energy to making and distributing music. This is part poetry, part packaging for the band and himself (he once said he had to learn how to be a rock star), part dollars-and-cents, and part competitive drive. His work as a musician is as central to his humanitarian efforts as the money he helps raise or the politicians he wins over for debt relief. At the same time, his activism has become part of the U2 brand, animating the way that millions of people think about the group and their offerings.
Herein lie several lessons. First, all successful organizational leaders -- from presidents to police chiefs to CEOs -- wield power, often in excess of that granted them by their office. How such individuals decide, explicitly or not, to use this control is a question of grave importance for the world today. The most important problems confronting us now, including a precarious global financial system and an equally vulnerable environmental system, do not come in separate buckets labeled "business" and "public policy." These are challenges that are smashing through older boundaries and helping redefine organizational place and mission.
Second, as Bono seems to understand, these issues demand a new kind of leadership, one based not in aging hierarchies and status systems but in humility, an ardent desire to learn and a respect for the individuals that organizations serve.
Third, individual leaders have to keep getting right with themselves about their own path and impact.
Finally, effective leadership today demands a willingness to stay open, not only to one's own enterprise but also to the teeming global village around it. Bono, like Abraham Lincoln 150 years ago, has not let himself become isolated in an elite atmosphere. He has used his touring and travels as classrooms to help him understand the hopes, dreams and tribulations of his fellow citizens, whom he often calls his brothers and sisters. And he has used this knowledge to light his way, his music and his leadership.
Happy Birthday, Bono.
© The Washington Post Company, 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom