Santiago Setlist Watch and Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
theu2fly said:
MOTD... was it full or just a snippet?

Full, just by Bono and Edge with Edge playing a charango, a traditional South American instrument. If you look it up on Wikipedia, you'll see it resembles a small guitar or ukulele.

56943912.jpg

I tried opening the links with a little help, but my WMP keeps freezing. I saw 10 seconds of COBL, and that was it. But thanks for trying to share zoofred!

you did have to add .m p g (no spaces) to the web addy

It was amazing!!!
I was with Pepokiss and i saw Dallas with a Charango in his hand after WOWY, i told him and he obviously didnt believe me but it was a Charango, the people went bananas (well, to be honest the whole show the crowd was amazing...) and they started this very emotional version.

The MOTD full version was just like the The Joshua Tree tour version... i didnt want that, because the 98 we already got it...

el_milagro said:
It was amazing!!!
I was with Pepokiss and i saw Dallas with a Charango in his hand after WOWY, i told him and he obviously didnt believe me but it was a Charango, the people went bananas (well, to be honest the whole show the crowd was amazing...) and they started this very emotional version.

The MOTD full version was just like the The Joshua Tree tour version... i didnt want that, because the 98 we already got it...

Now, keeping in mind I haven't watched the Santiago DVD in ages, but in 1998, wasn't it like Wake Up Dead Man on the Mexico DVD with just Bono singing and Edge on guitar?

In any case, after reading the Wikipedia page about the charango, I can't wait to see video of this performance! Is the charango used in Argentina too? Because I wonder if U2 will play the charango or full band version in Buenos Aires.

el_milagro, just out of curiousity, did you hear the band play anything else at the soundcheck?

As I said earlier in this thread, I love soundchecks. It's really interesting to hear what the band do when there's no-one watching.

DignityPassesBY, i was just reading back through the thread, and you said you were from Newcastle, whereabouts.... im sitting at my computer in Elermore Vale as we speak!

A very boring soundcheck:

-Vertigo
-I Will Follow (thanks GOD it wasnt played)
-SYCMIOYO
-LAPOE
-MOTD Full Band

Bono wasnt at the soundcheck...

el_milagro said:
A very boring soundcheck:

-Vertigo
-I Will Follow (thanks GOD it wasnt played)
-SYCMIOYO
-LAPOE
-MOTD Full Band

Bono wasnt at the soundcheck...

Ah, so just an instrumental soundcheck by the other three? Heh, I think it's funny that you don't want to hear I Will Follow, just because of my own attitude on it: I want to hear it once, but then I'll be happy if I don't hear it at all again! I'm happy to see U2 hasn't forsaken Boy completely, though - that soundcheck gives me hope that we'll get The Electric Co. down here. :drool:

And no soundcheck with MOTD is truly boring. :wink:

Axver said:

Now, keeping in mind I haven't watched the Santiago DVD in ages, but in 1998, wasn't it like Wake Up Dead Man on the Mexico DVD with just Bono singing and Edge on guitar?

In any case, after reading the Wikipedia page about the charango, I can't wait to see video of this performance! Is the charango used in Argentina too? Because I wonder if U2 will play the charango or full band version in Buenos Aires.

AXVER, there's a Santiago DVD??? Do you know where I can get it online or any other way? :drool:

Oh, and the charango is used in most of the Andean countries of South America (including Ecuador, which is where my family is from and where I wish I was right now :sad: ...but that's another story)

[Wikipedia Rocks! :rockon: ]

el_milagro said:
And let tell you: Franz Ferdinand is a huge preshow band!!!!

I don't really like their studio stuff, but I'd rather them over Kanye West. :sigh:

I posted a couple of videos from Chile today on page 3 here, in the second one about the ceremony that the above pic is from you can hear what a charango sounds like...

el_milagro said:

Thats odd because other sites are reporting that Mothers was acoustic like it was during Popmart not full band like the Joshua Tree tour. :hmm:

I heard they were going to use the sheep for an Encora of VERTIGO, rather than singing "Oh, oh, oh" they were supposed to use "Bah, ah ah, bah ah ah"

chiso said:

AXVER, there's a Santiago DVD??? Do you know where I can get it online or any other way? :drool:

Oh, and the charango is used in most of the Andean countries of South America (including Ecuador, which is where my family is from and where I wish I was right now :sad: ...but that's another story)

It was a proshot concert from the Popmart tour, last time they were down there. Not an official release, but still excellent. Check u2torrents.com

Blue Room said:

Thats odd because other sites are reporting that Mothers was acoustic like it was during Popmart not full band like the Joshua Tree tour. :hmm:

I think he was talking about the pre-show soundcheck, the MOTD that they went through then was full band, but they were acoustic in the actual show.

01. City Of Blinding Lights
02. Vertigo
03. Elevation
04. Until The End Of The World
05. New Year's Day
06. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
07. Beautiful Day
08. The First Time
09. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10 Love And Peace Or Else
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Bullet The Blue Sky
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. One

17. Zoo Station
18. The Fly
19. Mysterious Ways
20. With Or Without

21. Mothers Of The Dissapeared (acustica solo Bono y Edge, Edge playing the Charango)
22. Yahweh
23. All I Want Is You

source : u2mexico forum

chiso said:

TVN in Chile (the people who were going to broadcast today's show and may still do so at a later date) broadcast the 1998 show on television and that's where the DVD comes from. I think a couple of versions of different quality have been torrented on U2Torrents.com.

I'm sure you could get a copy by trading with someone. It's not rare. :)

(I honestly can't remember if I have it on DVD. I definitely have it on VCD, but now that I think about it, I can't remember if I ever did get a DVD upgrade ...)

i'm really digging 'all i want is you' as a closer. that's top notch stuff right there.

Zoomerang96 said:
i'm really digging 'all i want is you' as a closer. that's top notch stuff right there.

I'm kind of surprised they hadn't used it as a closer until now. Closing a show with AIWIY played with a full orchestra would be quite the conclusion.

Hi, after a few hours, I'm writing this...

- there WAS a Satisfaction snippet in The Fly
- Edge played Charango, quite good too
- after "mothers", there was Yahweh.... and BONO FORGOT THE LYRICS.... after Edge made a 2nd attempt for him to start.. nothing happened, then he said "take this hand"... but like the 2nd verse..., he laughrd, and so did we
- at the end, the oppened a bottle of champaigne.... I don't know

I'm falling asleep here, so bye

PS: for Mysterious Ways he pulled up 2 girls (I know them both), they stayed for WOWY and both had a make out sesion

on the soundcheck, I'm sure I heard a little bit of Electric co

and FULL MOTD was amazing... like in 87, with synths and things like that, guitar, and everything but it didn't happened

Back
Top Bottom