Saitama IIi Setlist Watch and Party, Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vertigo x2 second night Manchester rocked like bloody fuck.First night Bono says "...so what's it to be Larry?" Larry starts playing 40 then goes into Vertigox2 Bono laughs.......

bgmckinney said:
Interesting there would be such a u2-metal overlap. I mean, I know it's not huge, we're talking a small percentage of the forum, but still - obviously some people here are big fans of both. Interesting dynamic. I wonder if it has something to do with the element of theatricality (I don't mean that pejoratively) and emotional intensity...

For me, it's the technical proficiency. I am not a metal fan, per se, but a progressive rock fan who delved into progressive metal and suddenly found himself savouring the wider metal world from a back door. I don't like much of the often immature, juvenile metal that people think of when they first think of metal; I tend to go for the more obscure bands, the ones with insanely intricate songs and very proficient musicianship. I am especially a fan of atmospheric metal and progressive death metal.

I guess this begs the question as to what I'm doing here. U2 were one of my first musical loves, long before I got into metal, and I've never moved away from them, especially not their eighties work. Even more than technical proficiency, I highly value atmosphere. U2's eighties stuff has that in bucketloads. Metal bands such as Agalloch and Orphaned Land have it in bucketloads. And U2 also know how to write a well-structured, intriguing song, so that also explains why I like them, as well as melodic rock bands such as Crowded House.

I understand the other side of the argument though. I'd prefer Vertigo and OTH over Vertigo x2...even if OTH isn't U2's best ever song. :reject:

maycocksean said:
Aii, don't rub it in. Truth be told I'd have been happy just to see Saitama II (and it would have fit better with my schedule since I still wouldn't have missed any more work) in addition to Saitama 1.

Personally, I think you won with Saitama I: debut of WITS and the best song selection out of all of the Japanese shows: I Will Follow, The First Time, Walk On, Bad, One Tree Hill to close. :drool:

Alisaura said:
I'm not a metal-head by any means, but I certainly love some of it.
Does Tool count as metal? I love Lateralus, but their earlier albums are a bit much for me. And I haven't got the latest one.

Tool tend to count as metal, there's a bit of a debate about whether they're prog metal or not, though they seem to have a much broader appeal than your average metal band. I haven't really jumped on the Tool bandwagon myself, but they do have some great songs.

maycocksean said:
Yeah, I gotta hit the hay as well.

Thanks for a great evening all! I'll definitely check in on the Hawaii setlist party even if it's already over by the time I can get on the computer.

Take care! :wave:

Have a good one! I've always enjoyed your posts on FYM but I don't think I've ever really gotten to know you outside of there. It was cool to have you around for this party. :)

gmc said:
So Axver,was it a good show for the Science Of Snippetry?

Heh, not just yet. I imagine there were more snippets during the show than what we currently know, though!

Axver said:

For me, it's the technical proficiency. I am not a metal fan, per se, but a progressive rock fan who delved into progressive metal and suddenly found himself savouring the wider metal world from a back door. I don't like much of the often immature, juvenile metal that people think of when they first think of metal; I tend to go for the more obscure bands, the ones with insanely intricate songs and very proficient musicianship. I am especially a fan of atmospheric metal and progressive death metal.

I guess this begs the question as to what I'm doing here. U2 were one of my first musical loves, long before I got into metal, and I've never moved away from them, especially not their eighties work. Even more than technical proficiency, I highly value atmosphere. U2's eighties stuff has that in bucketloads. Metal bands such as Agalloch and Orphaned Land have it in bucketloads. And U2 also know how to write a well-structured, intriguing song, so that also explains why I like them, as well as melodic rock bands such as Crowded House.

Interesting. I don't pay too much attention one way or another to intricacy, as I don't think it has much to do with rock and roll. Jazz and "classical" music operate on such a higher level of sophistication than rock that I can't see any band nearing that standard - pop music is just a different kind of creature altogther. I do understand what you mean about atmosphere, though. In the HTDAAB-release era Bono gave an interview in which he talked about the fact that U2 songs contain glimpses of so many different worlds. I don't remember his exact words, but it was something like - you're walking down a rainy city street, but then in the distance, down an alleyway, is a glimpse of sunset sky, and somewhere else a saxophone comes through an open door. I was quite excited to hear him say that because I'd thought the same thing for years. Contrast that with, say, Radiohead or Metallica, who are at once more musically intricate and highly atmospheric, but who create the same atmosphere with each song...
Anyhow, I'll have to give a listen to some of those bands.

Out Of Control,The First Time is just a suprise as bringing back Vertigo x2.Looks Kite as flown into the breeze,pity........

gmc said:
Looks Kite as flown into the breeze,pity........

I think there are two reasons for Kite's absence from Japan:

1. Roofed stadium. Bono can't really fly and release the kite.
2. The song just didn't sound as good without Tim Moriarty on didgeridoo.

Axver said:

Maybe I was standing in the wrong spot (okay, two wrong spots), but I don't recall actually hearing the didgeridoo at all. Might have to listen to Melbourne 1 again...

need... sleep... :yawn:

bgmckinney said:

Interesting. I don't pay too much attention one way or another to intricacy, as I don't think it has much to do with rock and roll. Jazz and "classical" music operate on such a higher level of sophistication than rock that I can't see any band nearing that standard - pop music is just a different kind of creature altogther. I do understand what you mean about atmosphere, though. In the HTDAAB-release era Bono gave an interview in which he talked about the fact that U2 songs contain glimpses of so many different worlds. I don't remember his exact words, but it was something like - you're walking down a rainy city street, but then in the distance, down an alleyway, is a glimpse of sunset sky, and somewhere else a saxophone comes through an open door. I was quite excited to hear him say that because I'd thought the same thing for years. Contrast that with, say, Radiohead or Metallica, who are at once more musically intricate and highly atmospheric, but who create the same atmosphere with each song...
Anyhow, I'll have to give a listen to some of those bands.

I guess, for me, I like to know that a band are skilled at what they do, whether it's being very talented and proficient musicians (Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree), or masters of creating soundscapes (U2, Agalloch), or adept at melodies and intelligent song structure (Crowded House, The Chills). So I'll appreciate everything from the sweeping landscapes of Where The Streets Have No Name to the pure technical intricacy/insanity of anything by Spiral Architect.

And, heh, I think you may just have placed the finger on why I've never really gotten into Radiohead or Metallica. What I love about a metal band such as Orphaned Land is that in one song, a sandstorm from the Sahara is blinding your vision, while in another, a dove is flying with a leaf in its mouth as a new hope dawns.

But if you were to narrow me down to one genre, I am a prog fan. Whether that's the classic prog of Pink Floyd, the modern prog of Pure Reason Revolution (I can't praise these geniuses enough!), or the prog metal of Circus Maximus, I'm happy. The metalhead side of me is an offshoot of that. I'm certainly not the stereotypical metalhead. I'm a nerd. I've got the thick glasses, I savour academic pursuits, my hobbies are railways and setlists, and, well, look at my signature here! People tend to expect me to like classical music. They're usually rather surprised to learn that I'm quite keen on metal.

Axver said:

I think there are two reasons for Kite's absence from Japan:

1. Roofed stadium. Bono can't really fly and release the kite.

I tend to think after OTH they realized how good that song it is, but decided it was too similar in mood to work with Kite.
At Saitama I, the sequencers start the intro to OTH, and the audience erupts. Bono says "This is a song - " and then he stops. "Wow," he says, after a pause. "God bless you." He was obviously taken aback by the reception the song was receiving. He gave up on the introduction and started singing.

Alisaura said:

Maybe I was standing in the wrong spot (okay, two wrong spots), but I don't recall actually hearing the didgeridoo at all. Might have to listen to Melbourne 1 again...

need... sleep... :yawn:

At the Brisbane rehearsal, my flatmate and I had a hard time picking up the didgeridoo. We only really picked it up at the end. At the shows though, I was obviously much closer and had my earplugs in - I swear by good quality earplugs as the way to get much better sound at concerts.

I do feel, however, that the didgeridoo was more something you noticed when it wasn't there rather than when it was. By the Melbourne shows, I was taking it for granted. But in Auckland, to me, its absence was very noticeable and the song didn't sound as good, as fully fleshed out.

Man, I have so much work today, just popped in to take a look at today's setlist, thanx for all the infos. Great to see OOC back, the ending with Vertigo is a real surprise to say the least, but I so wish they would bring Kite back or end with 40, it's the perfect song to end the show. I wish everyone who is going a great great time in Hawaii and a wonderful concert.

In my humble opinion, one of the worst setlists of the tour. No One Tree Hill, Kite, Love and Peace, Zoo Station, only one single song that hasn´t been played on the previous two nights.
I was hoping that they finally did get rid off the Vertigo2 mess, but I was wrong.

The Out of Control addition was nice, though.

I´m just nostalgic of the last-night-in-the-city party setlists which almost every time brought in a new wonderful surprise.

Chicago IV: Until the End of the World for the first time on the tour, Vertigo for the first time opening, Bad for the first time closing...
Boston III: Who´s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Dublin III: Amazing setlist with all the 1st leg rarities back (Gloria, An Cat Dubh, Original of the Species, Bad, 40...) plus the longest U2 show ever
Amsterdam III: Miss Sarajevo, Original of the Species electric
Toronto IV: Discotheque, Eddie Vedder on stage

Yes, I´m sure the performance was great (the Sydney, Melbourne I and Tokyo I bootlegs are very good), but in terms of mixing, this was a missed opportunity.

Axver said:

The best you can hope for is a different snippet, really.

Isn't the intro at least different ? So far everytime it was played 2x , the intro was dif.

I.E.: In Milan , the 1st one comes with the live 8 intro , with Bono on

' Hello Hello ' , Adam and Larry jamming .... Edge keepin sustain

On 2nd : Larry does the classic drum , the intro is shorter , no Bass , No Edge sustaining

I don't think this is bad setlist, they had Out of Control and Bad plus the two new singles back to back in the encore. Still I don't appreciate the ending with Vertigo, it should be something else. And I am not happy with the total absence of LAPOE this days.
But then again, I am not at these concerts and I am sure people who were there were enjoying a great show.
I hope there will be some surprises at the Hawaii show and maybe the longest setlist ever.

I would have opted for a setlist like this;

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo / Reprise
3. Elevation
4. Out Of Control
5. An Cat Dubh / Into The Heart
6. Beautiful Day
7. Angel Of Harlem
8. Fast Cars
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10. Bad / Ruby Tuesday (snippet)
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday
12. Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
13. Running To Stand Still
14. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
15. Where The Streets Have No Name
16. One

encore(s):
17. Zoo Station
18. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
19. With Or Without You
20. All Because Of You
21. Window In The Skies
22. Walk On

Vertigo x2 is "okay" but obviously removes another song from an already short set.

Vertigo closing is awesome. I think all stadium shows should close with Vertigo... nothing quite like the energy it provides. It tends to be the better version of the two as well (unless it is the extended Vertigo #1 with the stories for boys :drool: )

Last edited:
interesting... very interesting... Out Of Control :hmm:

Vertigo x2 may be fun and end the show on a high energy note. Only downside like thelaj said is that it removes another different song from the setlist. I'm still hoping for One Tree Hill in Hawaii...

Back
Top Bottom