COBL and SYCMIOYO the new live Classics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKirch73

The Fly
What does everyone think about this? Out of the songs from HTDAAB played on tour thus far, which are destined to be known as U2 greats as far as live songs go. My votes go to COBL and SYCMIOYO. Vertigo is a lot of fun but is just a bit off in terms of greatness.

I would vote for Love and Peace over COBL - I think that it is such a powerful song live (which is not to say that both will not stand the test of time).

Another vote for Love and Peace. Like SYCMIOYO but still can't stand that AOL man (with the cap) walking on the curtains. Blah.

And Miracle Drug hasn't lived up to its initial album greatness....at least not yet.

COBL has that great opening but it too hasn't been fully developed for greatness yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by greatness. I thought Walk On was the king of all songs during the last tour, but they don't seem to be interested in playing it anymore.

The most likely carryover from HTDAAB onto the next tour would seem to be Vertigo.

I still don't like SYCMIOYO very much and I will néver think of this song as a U2 classic! I can understand that this song brings emotion's to some people (and Bono of course). But just the music (without the lyrics) this song is nothing special! Nothing like true U2 classic songs like Stay, One or Bad...

cleazer said:
I'm not sure what you mean by greatness. I thought Walk On was the king of all songs during the last tour, but they don't seem to be interested in playing it anymore.

The most likely carryover from HTDAAB onto the next tour would seem to be Vertigo.
imo i always found walk on slightly flat live,

just me i guess

Walk On was without a doubt the most emotional song of all... Chills down my spine when I watch the Boston DVD... The ending with the hallelujah's... Absolutely amazing!

Love and Peace is a great song but in the 2 shows I saw it in at least it just didnt have the "experiance" feel that COBL did. I know that is completley personal but I do feel however that COBL has a better chance of being a long time setlist favorite over love and peace. Also I am rethinking Somtimes you can't... Another wonderful emotional song, but I think it may posses a fifteen minutes of fame quality with the partnering of the passing of Bono's father. Will always be emotional for people but not to the same level in the future. I also agree that Miracle Drug had a lot of potential but was a bit of a dissapointment as far as the live version goes. I am thinking the true dark horse coming out on the third leg is Fast Cars!!!

lol just kidding

I see Please replacing Bullet for the European Leg (at least i hope)

I agree that COBL and SYCMIOYO are the new classics of the first leg. Love and Peace was amazing, but I didn't feel as much energy as during COBL. Miracle Drug has also been getting much better of a reception than I expected it to, so I think that's also a tune that may be in U2's setlists for a long time.

All Because of You, despite being a single, doesn't seem to have much staying power to me. Maybe it's because it's probably one of my least favorite tracks on the album?

Overall, I was really impressed by how the new album sounds live. Now if they'll just start playing Crumbs and A Man and A Woman, it'll be the perfect setlist :wink:

i'm really dissapointed in COBL live. i love the song, but it just doesn't seem to go off yet. i believe it will, it just hasn't yet. we'll see again in the fall i guess (yes, that was the royal we).

hopefully these rehersals between legs get the band more hyped. i liked how they changed up walk on with the hallelujahs, as the song evolved......

maybe something will happen with one of these new songs!!

i can't wait until they perfect original. it's such a classic, that and miracle drug are unreal.

Back
Top Bottom