May 7, United Center in Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dizzy said:
I thought Larry forgot the lyrics during Elevation too, but I don't think he was supposed to sing the entire thing. You know how some back up vocals only sing parts/words in the song? I think that's what he was doing. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I thought it was. :wink:

Oh, you're totally right! He didn't actually mess up the song at all or something--I just thought it was so silly to see him on the screens for the whole arena to see with that same look we always get on our faces when Bono either changes the lyrics or fucks them up, mid-song; that, "Oh, shit...I better just keep opening my mouth to make it look like I know what's what...!" It was funny, but I thought it maybe a bit unprofessional. Certainly didn't make or break the show, as Larry's not the lead-singer and "Elevation" has been tepidly-received all tour, anyway (at least by a number of us...the crowds LOVE it).

Oh, and KUEFC...

Sorry for having an opinion. I'll do my best to satisfy your tastes, from now on. I forgot that U2 could do no wrong or never have pretty good/okay shows as opposed to spectacular/life-changing/perfect ones. Keep it real.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed in the show, definately my least favorite of the shows that I have seen live (about 10 shows since ZooTV, and at least one of each tour in that time - mind you that a disappointing U2 show is still better than about anything else I can think of to do for 2 1/2 hours). The show started off a little poorly, but got way better as the night went on...

- I thought that LAPOE was a poor opener for the show, it does not have the same energy as some of the past openers such as Elevation and Zoo Station. Not really a song to get the heart pumping. (though I did like the flashlight elipse lap entrance)
- Vertigo and Elevation, as some others have said, sounded off to me and were less energetic than they should have been, they almost sounded perfunctory, played because they had to play them
- An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart, though a beautiful song was a bit too slow considering the previous songs weren't that great - even Bono laid down for a full minute
- City of Blinding Lights was pretty good, things started to pick up
- Miracle Drug was fine (not a big fan of the song generally)
- SYCMIOYO was solid
- New Years Day - here the show picked up a lot of steam and I thought that from here through SBS and Bullet was the energy that I had hoped for (though Bullet also didn't sound great to me)
- Running to Bad to Pride to Streets to One - AWESOME! This was a great run of songs! From New Years through One, I was very pleased with the show and it made up for what I though was a poor first few songs
- Zoo Station and The Fly were pretty good, though they sounded a bit too military march-y to me (if that makes sense), like Larry broke out the drum kit from War, and less Achtung-y like I am used to
- Mysterious Ways was very good
- All Beacuse of You - ROCKED!
- Yahweh - this was the one new song that I thought sounded much, much better live, it really took on new life for me live
- '40', very happy to hear it close out a show again, great song, love the one at a time exit off stage, and it is a great feeling for the crowd to stand there and sing without any music

Anyway, my thoughts, overall it was not as good as I hoped, but from about the 30min. mark on it was really a great show. Hopefully I'll see some of you tonight and Thursday!

Here's my "400 word or less" (not easy) review that may never show up on u2.com...

Went to concert as observer-protester. # 111 in the GA line. With chalk, used 16 sq. feet of sidewalk: "Businessmen they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth/ None of them along the line know what any of it is worth. - Dylan." Cameraman interviewed me. ‘Told him that I wrote on u2.com for 3 years, but they banned me. I ended up a third body back from the rail, near center. ‘Got to see my lyrical twin - yet spiritual opponent-at-the-present.‘Held back from celebration for reasons of protest. Bono pointed to his headband (with false religious symbols on it) and said, "Read my lips! Jesus, Jew, Muhummad - the same!" I put on MY headband, thinking “This is what I have been born for.” It says "1 TRUTH". Yahweh has one Son Jesus; always works through one organization of humans at a time, and has only one body of truth. I pointed to it, motioning, "Read this!!!" ‘Gave "EVERYTHING YOU KNOW IS WRONG" the “thumbs down.” Sang "In a locust wind…” back at Bono, with a passion. ‘Gave "Hallelujah" during the UN part the stop/cut gesture. ‘Shook my head "NO" during Yahweh - because he insists on exclusive devotion through his spirit and one truth. ‘Showed the camera guy my headband on the way out. ‘Went to Peace Museum. Enjoyed U2’s green guitar. (I had written a “peace” song about a “Little Green Guitar Man” on their website.) ‘Saw Lennon's guitar too. ‘Touched the glass over Bono's handwritten lyrics. ‘Pulled a Bible from my purse; showed a person there Psalms about “making melody” to Jehovah - how we need to TELL EVERYONE we can about his ways of PEACE. He invited me to submit my songs/poems. ‘Talked to others too, about how music can be a powerful way to reach people’s hearts. ‘Listened to a Nagasaki A-bomb survivor speak about agonies he went through. He said WE MUST TELL EVERYONE how important peace is. ‘Raised my hand afterwards, referring to the “Sunday Bloody Sunday” lyrics on the wall saying, "Wipe your tears away." ‘Explained that Revelation 21:3,4 promises God will soon do that for people here - his Kingdom WILL bring permanent peace and healing to this earth. It’s the sure hope. WE MUST TELL EVERYONE. (Matthew 24:14) For songwriters, too, such truths are the most important messages that can be conveyed. It’s urgent - "Give peace a chance."

The longest review ever

This is going in my LJ, so there's some inside jokes and personal notes in it, but hopefully you can understand most of it, should you choose to read such a long thing.

We sat down around 7:15...we were in the upper level, but I was surprised at how well we could see. It was an arena, obviously, not a stadium, so we could easily tell who was who and what was going on. We were on the side of the stage which I thought was great. I prided myself in the fact that I had almost every song they played over the loudspeakers on my iPod (yea, I'm a geek, and fuckin' proud of it, bitches.) White Stripes -Seven Nation Army, The Strokes - 12:51, Television - Venus, The Libertines - Can't Stand Me Now, The Killers - Mr. Brightside, Modest Mouse - Float On, David Bowie - Rebel Rebel, The Velvet Underground - Rock 'n Roll, Interpol - Obstacle 1, and Coldplay - Clocks... I'm pretty sure that's it (tho not in order). There were one or two songs I didn't know.

Kings of Leon came on around 7:30 I think and played about 45 minutes...they were alright, but everyone was there for U2 (though at that point the arena was only half-full, it was packed by the time U2 came on) so as far as I was concerned anyway there were just delaying the main event. Plus they didn't seem very into it (except the bass player. He was really good and really energetic and such). It's like, c'mon guys, you're opening for U-fuckin-2. I can mathmatically (or at least logically) prove your lives are going downhill from this moment on (until the next time you open for U2, anyway), so you could at least TRY to pretend you're SLIGHTLY stoked.

Close to 9:00 Wake Up by Arcade Fire came on the loudspeakers...lights went down, everyone stood up, that voice started ("Everyone. Everyone. EVERYONE!"). People began cheering like mad as that grimy, industrial guitar started...the world's greatest band had arrived.

1. Love and Peace or Else - Dark stage. The band came out with spotlights; Larry and Bono were at the tip of the ellipse. What a way to start the show! Such attitude. The band played it perfectly, of course. I thought I was going to die after the bridge when Bono sang "Where is the love? Where is the love...LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE AND PEACE!" He fuckin' held that note FOREVER, and his voice was so DEEP and POWERFUL. It was back to the strength of the bloody Joshua Tree! Edge's solo was great, and Bono played drums...he continued the beat for I'd say at least four measures after the song was over.

As soon as LAPOE ended, I thought, okay, they're gonna do Sunday Bloody Sunday next. I'd been paying attention to the setlists and I had some bootlegs, so I totally knew what was coming. Except I didn't because they didn't go into SBS at all (they'd done this before at Seattle 1 at least, but I hadn't seen that setlist.)

2. Vertigo - Vertigo second song in! As much as I love the polit-rock set, I thought it was cool that U2 decided to just completely change their setlist order. And you really can't go wrong with an entire arena of people shouting "UNO! DOS! TRES! CATORCE!!!!" Bono sang the verses a little off-beat (intentionally I presume, he likes to play with rhythms and such) so it sounded a little odd, but once the band hit the chorus it was gold. Total crowd singalong, jumpalong. They didn't do the Stories for Boys bit, but they did extend the song as they always do. The stage lights were crazy! Red around the ellipse and some crazy shit came down on those beads of light. It was so cool.

3. Elevation - This is a song that a lot of people despise. And while it's true that it's a little low on the list of Brilliant U2 Songs, live it ROCKS. The whole arena was singing "WOOOOHOOO" (though Bono was singing too. He was hittin those falsettos like mad, yo!). In fact, we were singing along to the entire song... "a MOLE! diggin in a HOLE! diggin up my SOUL! now goin down EX-CA-VA-TION! i and i in the sky you make me feel like i can fly, so high, EL-E-VA-TION!" The best part was when the band kicked in and everyone was jumping and it ruled. Anyone that wants to remove Elevation from the setlist probably hasn't seen Vertigo Tour live yet... it's one of the more interactive songs and definitely high-energy. I thought it was better than Vertigo, myself.

4. An Cat Dubh - This was great... I've really come to appreciate the Boy album as of late, and this made me love it even more. They played it better than they ever have before (but besides this tour, when have they played it? Axver, info? I'm pretty sure they weren't doing it past War tour, and that was '83... talk about a welcome comeback!). It was very moody, with blue spotlights on the band members... toward the end, when the singing part was finished, Bono slowly went down on the ellipse and took a nap or something. Seriously, he laid down and didn't move until it was time to sing Into the Heart. I thought maybe he died or something.

5. Into the Heart - Essentially an extension of An Cat Dubh, but technically a song in itself... beautiful. Bono "woke up" and got up to sing his part obviously. Everything was perfect.

6. City of Blinding Lights – Wasn’t expecting this one so soon, I thought it’d be somewhere in the encore… the lights on this were amazing. The light curtains became a city in motion, essentially. It was especially cool during the bridge when they had Chinese (or Japanese, whatever) writing changing on the light curtains. It’s hard to describe but those who have seen it know what I’m talking about. The chorus was a perfect punch-along and the drums at the end of the song were especially good.

7. Beautiful Day – The band NAILED this one. Bono was falsettoing like mad!! I couldn’t believe he went so high on the re-e-e-EACH me part. Probably the first highlight of the show (with many more to come!) The end of the song (the slow part) was extended and they did a snippet of Blackbird…very, very cool.

8. Miracle Drug – Bono talked for awhile before the song (as he usually does), something about Chicago being a city of the future (I cheered even though I don’t live there :p). He also mentioned that Coldplay was in the arena…well, Mr. Martin, I hope you were taking good notes, because you’ve got a long way to go to become “bigger than U2.”

There were one or two false starts, but I hardly even noticed, just problems with the pre-recorded thing I guess. One the song took off, well, it took off! Edge’s solo was heavenly and he sang his verse perfectly from what I remember. The blue lights going around the ellipse were way cool.

9. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own – Wow. This was brilliant (and I love hearing songs in album order! That’s so cool!). The four split-screens were all different angles of Bono (who, I may add, looked incredibly good…honestly, when he takes off his sunglasses, he looks ten years younger! I kept thinking he looked like he did during ZooTV!). There was this walking man that would move from light curtain to light curtain. The whole song was sung well (some people said he hit a sour note, but I didn’t notice), especially the falsetto chorus, and “can you hear me when I….SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING” practically brought me to tears. I’d say it was the best Bomb track they did and highlight number two for me.

10. New Year’s Day – This song really made me miss my cell phone, because my cell phone had a New Year’s Day ringtone, and so hearing the intro to New Year’s Day reminded me of my ringtone, and that dumb bitch Dean Wright should give me back my cell phone because a cell phone is a dangerous thing and this is the twenty-first century, BITCH. And she’s just jealous that she didn’t see U2 on May 7th in Chicago and hear my ring tone except not a ring tone. Dumb bitch.

If the show wasn’t already awesome (which it was), then this is when it really started to pick up. Adam walked around the ellipse (which he did a lot during the show – at least three times I’d say!) and the song was played perfectly. My favourite part was clapping all fast during the bridge right before “I…will be with you again…” Bono sang NYD with gusto I haven’t heard in awhile.

11. Sunday Bloody Sunday – I loved the LAPOE-SBS-BTBS trio, but I have to say SBS sounded really good after NYD, too (and the crowd sure went wild!). This was one of the best versions I’ve heard in a long time! It was full of energy and the bridge was extended for an extra long time, but done so well as Bono was singing most of the time as opposed to giving some really long speech. At first he was singing a snippet of some song I didn’t know…it was really pretty, whatever it was. Then he did the coexist thing (Jesus-Jew-Mohammed-same? Something like that. He was pointing at the religious symbols on his bandana which rules and makes me think “NINJA BONO!!!” along with that jacket which I think rocks even though a lot of people say it’s fugly), then “NO MORE!” which totally rules to shout along to, then back to the actual song (“wipe your tears away…”). Sunday Bloody Sunday has always been one of my favourite U2 songs and I thought it had a lot of vigor Saturday night.

12. Bullet the Blue Sky – Overall good, I’d say. Edge’s solo was good but not nearly as good as, say, Phoenix 2 (based on the bootleg, obviously). I love the bits of “Johnny Comes Marching Home.” They’re very eerie. Probably the best part of this song was when Bono got on his knees, blindfolded, hands up. Talk about total HOTNESS. Then when he was walking toward the mic blindfolded with his hands out, slowly feeling for the mic… I liked that.

13. Running to Stand Still – Fucking gorgeous. Bono held some notes on harmonica for a really long time at the beginning of the song… he also had a guitar, I’m assuming he had one during the other shows too but I could never really hear it on the bootlegs. Obviously he didn’t play a whole lot but I could hear when he did. He even played a little “lead” part (very quietly, of course). He didn’t do the “still running…” part but he did do the hallelujah’s. Very, very well done.

At the end of the song they played that “nine minute human rights video” which was actually about a minute long. I thought it was cool, kinda unnecessary but whatever, U2’s always gotta make a point about something.

14. Bad – Oh. My. Fucking. God. This was probably the best part of the entire show. As soon as that synthesizer or whatever started, I screamed my lungs out (I felt a little out of place ‘cause I started screaming before most other people…). Bono gave a little speech about how the song had lifted many people, some of which were no longer with them, some who hopefully were… talked about getting the monkey off your back…and then when they actually did the song. Man. Just thinking about it gets me teary eyed, I’m dead serious! Infuckincredible. Bono sang it the best I have ever heard. He held those notes forever, and his voice was so deep-throated! He sounded so amazing!! And of course the band has this song down perfectly. Nice bridge with a snippet of “In the Garden” again (though before that he was whispering something, I don’t know if that’s part of the song or…?) My only complaint is I really, really wish the song would fade into Streets like it did on Elevation, because THAT was amazing… but this version of Bad was better than any I’ve ever heard. Just…wow. And the ending was really tight, it’s just that Bad lends itself so well to a fade-in.

15. Pride (In the Name of Love) – Like New Year’s Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride had an enthusiasm it hasn’t had in awhile. Edge’s solo may have been slightly off or something, but maybe I’m just crazy…regardless, Bono was actually SINGING the whole thing, and singing it well. The best part was doing the “Oh-oh-oh-oh’s” during Bono’s small little “speech” about Dr. King and well after the band had basically stopped playing… Bono prompted us to keep singing… it made for a really, really good transition to Streets. It seemed to go on longer than any of the bootlegs I’d heard, making a better build-up.

16. Where the Streets Have No Name – Honestly, I think it’s basically impossible for the band to mess this one up. The African flags coming down were really, really cool, but the best part was without a doubt the build-up during Bono’s “journey of equality” speech and then the final “release” when the whole band kicks in and it’s just heaven. One of the best parts of the show…I was jumping up and down like crazy, but who wasn’t?! The lights were AMAZING during this… I know there was at least one point (it was either what I was just talking about or toward the end when Bono explodes into the African chanting and the “Loooooooooooooooooooooooove”. Maybe both) when the house lights came on and it was so, so, SO beautiful. Streets was nothing short of rapture.

17. One – The two greatest songs ever written, back-to-back? I can dig it. Bono’s speech before One seemed short, but maybe that was just me. He talked about how politicians are getting bored of him (“They’re not the only ones…Bono gets bored of Bono sometimes”) and such. I love hearing that man talk. I love it even more when he sings, though, and he did well on One, and he also let the audience sing a line or two (of course we were singing along to the whole song). The screen was really, really cool… it was just Bono, but made out of little white pixels (kinda like the Popmart screen). Except, it zoomed in on the white pixels and they were actually faces of people (presumably from earlier before the band started), then it zoomed back out into Bono…I’m not sure how the fuck they managed that, but that was probably the coolest effect of the whole show, and it went perfectly with the song. Edge’s extended solo at the end was beautiful…I was a little disappointed that Bono didn’t do the extra verse but it was still really, really powerful with the “ooooooooOOOOOooooOOOOoooooh’s” at the end. What a perfect song.

The band went off-stage for the first encore… and before they launched into their Achtung set (though technically you could include One in that, but whatever) they brought back the lemon-boy!!!! With the slot machine and the little Zooropa alien lemon thing…it was so fucking awesome! I don’t know why but I really, really loved that part of the show…it made me nostalgic for a tour I was never at. Then when all four slots were the lemon it was like “What’s up? What’s up?” So cool. I want one.

18. Zoo Station – Holy Bono babies, U2 fucking NAILED this song! The lemon-boy slot machine really set the mood for me, and then the BRILLIANT intro (those drums. Those DRUMS!) and Bono prancing out in that sexy, sexy military-like outfit (god I love that hat. And Bono in it. And, well, Bono.) His stage presence during Zoo Station was incredible. He was marching and had the confident swagger of the ZooTV days…not to mention the fact that he got all the words right! I didn’t hear a single mistake! I’m so proud of him :D He sang with a deep-throated Zoo voice, too. The audience was chanting along with “It’s alright, it’s alright…” and Edge was walking around the ellipse and his solo at the end was great and really the whole song was flawless. Based on the bootlegs I’d heard, much as I liked the song I honestly thought it might get dropped… no way it’s getting dropped now. It was actually one of my favourite parts of the whole concert!

19. The Fly – Well this was nothing short of “brilliamt” (which is better than brilliant, I’ll tell ya that). Before Bono kept repeating the phrase “We do the show, we do the business, but this is not show business” or something like that, which was a little weird but totally set the mood. U2 got the intro perfect and Bono got almost all the words right, I think he maybe messed up once but it wasn’t too noticeable and didn’t throw off the song or anything. The lights during the song were like the ZooTV screens, flashing the different sayings (beLIEve, Everything you know is wrong, ect.), which was another nice throwback to ol’ Zoo tour. It was kinda hard to read what they were saying from my angle at least, but it still ruled. Edge ROCKED his solo and the third “Loooooove…” was perfect with Edge going totally crazy. I think the best part, though, was the ending, which was tighter than any version I’ve heard. Rock ‘n roll perfection.

20. Mysterious Ways – I was kinda hoping for Until the End of the World, but my disappointment was short-lived… totally groovy song, great performance. Adam was on the ramp again. During the bridge before Edge’s big slide-in solo, Bono gave Adam a hug. It was really sweet (and hot, duh). Then when Edge came in they did a bullfight, I guess you could say… Bono motioned Adam his way and kinda “led” him back to stage. It was totally hawt and the band rawked this song up, yo.

After MW they left stage again before coming back for the final encore.

21. All Because of You – Now there’s some rock ‘n roll! No Bono sex noises though. In my Seattle 2 bootleg there were totally some really really hot Bono sex noises, but none this performance. Oh well, the band still rocked!

22. Yahweh – I’m still a little lukewarm on the acoustic version (and I really wanted to hear Original of the Species), but it’s really starting to grow on me… it’s very intimate. The band members made their way one by one to the center of the ellipse during the song, and of course Larry did the synth. And man is that boy skinny. There was something very moving about the entire arena singing “Yahweh, Yahweh…”

23. 40 – There is no other song to end the show, in my opinion. I love it. I love how Adam and Edge trade instruments and I love Larry’s awesome drums that start the song (Bono: “Drum solo!”) and the blatantly spiritual lyrics (even though I’m not religious at all) and of course the fact that it’s THE audience singalong. After the verses (which, by the way, are basically from the psalm 40… so yes, Steven, U2 ARE smart enough to write about Bible verses, so don’t be dumb), Bono took a spotlight and shined it around the audience…it was kinda like doing the wave, you’d put your hands up when the spotlight was on you…I loved it. Then he left, then Adam left, then Edge, then Larry had the beat almost stop…then he started it over again, then he left… one of the most uplifting parts of the show was exactly after the entire band had left. The whole audience continued singing “How long to sing this song?” and we even started synchronized clapping…we were singing for at least five minutes after the band had left, ‘til whenever the lights came back on. I almost thought the band would come back out! It was a really, really amazing moment for me…a reminder that I am a part of something much bigger than myself.

Some general notes:

- Bono had his shades off for about half the show! It was nice, especially compared to the San Diego show where he had his sunglasses on for basically the whole concert…Bono looks so much younger without his shades, and it somehow makes the show seem more intimate and legitimate.

- After Bono, I’d say Adam was the liveliest and most audience-interactive…he was walking around the ellipse a whole lot, more than Edge even. At one point Bono was randomly like “Sexy man!”

- The B-man interacted with the band a lot; especially Adam…he also interacted with the audience of course. He tried to get everyone involved in the concert somehow. I noticed whenever he was on the ellipse he kept singing to our side (I was on stage left).

- Speaking of the audience, damn what a crowd! The crowd was singing along to every song and cheering and jumping and just in general everyone seemed to be really, really into it. Except this one lady next to me. Her husband or boyfriend or whatever was obviously a big fan, I talked to him for awhile, and he was into it…not really jumping around insanely like I was but he was singing along and at least stood up almost the whole time…this dumb bitch was standing next to me, completely expressionless, during the first few songs, then she SAT DOWN for the rest of the show. What a dumb hag. That guy probably bought her a $90 ticket and she sat down the whole time without even a mild interest in what was going on. He needs to dump her sad ass and go out with…well, anyone else there, because the crowd was GREAT. Really, really GREAT.

- No one got pulled up on stage… I’m not really disappointed, just mildly surprised.

- U2 is without a doubt the best fucking band on the planet!!!!

Sooooooooooooooooooo… that ends my long-ass review of a bloody brilliant concert. After the show, Alec and I tried to stalk the band, but to no avail… I was trying to find some crazy-looking PLEBA girls or something that looked determined, but all I found was two sad-looking girls that said people that worked for the UC said the band had already left. We didn’t know what hotel they were staying at and we were fairly tired, so we gave up… as Alec said, “Oh well, that’s what Cleveland is for.” Now I can’t bloody wait ‘til December 10th!

Second thing I do (everyone knows the first thing you do after de-planing) when I get to Midway is pick up the dailies to read the reports from Saturday. They're both pretty scathing, but this is the lesser of 2 evils. --Anu

U2's march of the tired warhorses hamstrings fine ensemble e
Chicago Tribune, 09/05/2005

by Greg Kot
The corporate juggernaut that is U2 takes over Chicago this week with four sold-out shows at the United Center in-between singer Bono's latest efforts to save the world. These efforts would have been enhanced Saturday by a concert that relied less on U2's past and more on songs that haven't overstayed their welcome.

On opening night, Bono lamented that a decade ago he would place calls to the White House in the midst of the band's "Zoo TV" tour, but they went unanswered. "They take my call now," he said, and the audience cheered. He went on to urge the audience to text-message his Unite Against Poverty organization which is designed to pressure politicians to follow through on the United Nations' goal of cutting world poverty in half by 2015. It was yet another example of the rock concert as political advertisement, following closely on the heels of last year's Bruce Springsteen-led Vote for Change tour that aimed to oust George Bush from the White House.

U2's gambit will no doubt engender a lot of eye-rolling from those who have grown tired of Bono's increasingly high celebrity-activist profile. But the singer's social activism also had musical relevance, as it provided the thematic backbone to U2's current tour. During a sequence of songs including "New Year's Day" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" that addressed how religion continues to become an excuse for violence, he donned a scarf adorned with religious symbols and declared, "Jesus, Jew, Mohammed is true."

The scarf became a blindfold on "Bullet the Blue Sky," which segued into the Civil War anthem "When Johnny Comes Marching Home." It was a bit of Bono-esque theater, part hokum but all heart.

For anyone who has felt anything for the band since it made its Chicago debut more than two decades ago at the Park West, the do-gooder self-righteousness is part of the package. It's driven as much by ambition and ego as it is social and artistic reasons, and sometimes it works spectacularly: "Zoo TV," unanswered White House phone calls and all, remains a landmark of multimedia arena rock.

My quibble is not with the motive so much as with the execution. Things got off to a rocky start a few months ago, with a bungled ticket sale that brought a public apology from drummer Larry Mullen Jr. at the Grammy Awards, and again from Bono during Saturday's encore.

The tour follows the release of the band's latest studio album, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," but doesn't really make a case for it. Though the album is strictly U2-by-the-numbers, a retreat back to its early '80s sound, the stage is the true measure of the quartet's songs.

The band was in fine form: Bono brought a new sense of nuance and phrasing to his singing, the Edge delved into blues by way of Jimi Hendrix during his guitar solo on "Bullet," and Mullen and bassist Adam Clayton remained implacable guardians of the Big Beat. Little wonder the "Atomic Bomb" tracks came on strong at the United Center, with a tambourine-inflected "All Because of You," a luminous "City of Blinding Lights" bathed in confetti, and especially a hymnlike "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own," with Bono paying tribute to his late father while pacing the walkway that ringed the elliptical stage. Here was U2 at its best, shrinking a stadium to a living-roomlike level of intimacy.

But at least half the show was consumed with a run through U2 warhorses that were already starting to sound exhausted on previous tours: "Pride (In the Name of Love)," "Where the Streets Have No Name," "One." Save for the belly dancer missing in action from "Mysterious Ways," this was tired nostalgia, apparently to sate customers who shelled out hundreds of dollars for tickets.

It appears U2 is falling into the same trap as the Rolling Stones: Charging big money for a stadium show obligates the band to turn into a hits jukebox. But especially in a city such as Chicago, where U2 has been embraced like few other bands, the quartet can afford to take more chances. The promise of U2 has always been big music tied in with conviction, imagination and innovation. Now the band sounds like it believes less in its ability to surprise and dazzle with its new music, and more in the necessity to recycle its past. If that trend continues, U2's avid concern for social justice won't be enough to keep it relevant.

When I started using the term "Bonophobia" a while back, this is what I had in mind. This may be the most mean-spirited, axe-grinding, vicious rant of the official press so far. I just love how he says he's just a disappointed fan at the end. Disappointed fans don't get comps and write reviews for an audience easily in the millions. 'Professionals' should have *some* obligation to be somewhat . . . "decent" in their damnation. In some cities, newer groups really court the critics. What young band would invite this grouch to listen to a show?

The Rev. Bono
Chicago Sun-Times, 05/09/2005

by Jim Derogatis
The Rev. Bono

May 9, 2005

BY JIM DEROGATIS Pop Music Critic

Wearing a mock fascist uniform and goose-stepping around the oval catwalk jutting from the stage at the United Center on Saturday, the first of U2's four sold-out shows here, Bono repeated an odd little chant during an encore of "Zoo Station": "We put on a show / We do the business / But this is not / Show business."

Yes, it most certainly was, and it was every bit as phony, bombastic and manipulative as a Britney Spears concert, the Republican National Convention or a televangelist's miracle-working dog and pony show.

As a fan who's seen the group a dozen times and who ranks 1992's Zoo TV tour on the short list of the best concerts I've ever experienced, U2 has never seemed as pointlessly pretentious and preachy.

The group scrolled the text of the first few articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adopted by the United Nations in 1948, over its giant video screens and encouraged concertgoers not to flick their lighters but to hold up their cell phones, then text-message their contact info to the band's hunger-relief charity program. This assumed, of course, that people had money left to donate after spending as much as $168 plus service fees for U2 concert tickets.

Bono did his famous crucifixion moves, as well as dropping to his knees and striking his familiar "hands bound above my head" pose. This time, he gave the latter a new twist, sporting a blindfold to evoke images of the prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison.

The 45-year-old front man's hubristic sins went on and on -- there was a facile routine about how Christianity, Judaism and Islam are all "true" (with Buddhism and other religions conspicuously absent from the list), speeches about how "we" can end poverty in Africa, and boasts about how world leaders take his calls. Still, while he was the most obnoxious presence, it would be wrong to single him out as the only offender.

Guitarist The Edge, bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr. gave their silent approval while providing the music that served as background and afterthought for all of this speechifying, and they did so in a rote, autopilot fashion that created a disturbing contrast between the impassioned windbaggery and the passionless rock 'n' roll.

The songs from last year's "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" gained nothing and only seemed more contrived in concert. "Love and Peace or Else," which opened the show; "Yahweh," the penultimate track before the encore; "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own," the song that pays homage to Bono's departed dad, and "Vertigo," the hit brought to you by Apple's iPod -- all were rote, leaden, formulaic imitations of sounds that U2 has done much, much better in the past.

This especially was evident as the new material was juxtaposed with undeniable classics such as "An Cat Dubh," "New Year's Day" and "One," which retained their inspired brilliance no matter how much pomposity surrounded them, providing the evening's few highlights. As for the nadir, it came midway through the two-hour set with an especially soggy four-song montage of "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "Bullet the Blue Sky," "The Hands That Built America" and "When Johnny Comes Marching Home."

If you missed the point, it was this: AMERICA'S WAR IN IRAQ IS BAD. But ever the politician averse to alienating any demographic, Bono, sporting a stars-and-stripes leather jacket as one of several costume changes, followed that none-too-subtle declaration by reminding us to "support the troops."

With the exception of its startlingly innovative Zoo TV tour and its "Achtung Baby"-era shift toward postmodern irony and fearless reinvention, this band always has had a problem with grandiose flag-waving -- literally. During my first U2 concert in 1981, I rolled my eyes when Bono hoisted a giant white banner. And as documented by the concert films "Live at Red Rocks" (1983) and "Rattle and Hum" (1989), speeches and chest-thumping theatrics always have been part of the show.

The difference is that the music was once fresh and powerful enough to make even the most over-the-top gestures seem justified. "We're greedy, and we want to push boundaries," Mullen told me in an interview two weeks ago, as if one justified the other. At this phase in U2's career, minus the boundary-pushing, it's hard to see past the greed.

The majority of people at the United Center, it should be noted, seemed thrilled with Saturday's performance. I'm not attempting to change their minds or invalidate their experience, but to pose the question of whether U2 lived up to its own potential. In the end, this is just one disappointed fan's review, and as stated in Article 19 of the U.N.'s Universal Declaration of Human Rights: "Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression."

U2 performs at the United Center again tonight, Tuesday and Thursday. On Saturday, its set began at 9 p.m., following a mediocre opening performance by the Kings of Leon, New Wave Southern rockers who simply aren't ready for the arenas.

Thank you for having the guts to keep my post up - for allowing that free speech. The other two biggest U2 fan sites are not as open-minded, especially the $$$ first one. Thanks.

The most accurate review ever

AtomicBono said:
This is going in my LJ, so there's some inside jokes and personal notes in it, but hopefully you can understand most of it, should you choose to read such a long thing.

We sat down around 7:15...we were in the upper level, but I was surprised at how well we could see. It was an arena, obviously, not a stadium, so we could easily tell who was who and what was going on. We were on the side of the stage which I thought was great. I prided myself in the fact that I had almost every song they played over the loudspeakers on my iPod (yea, I'm a geek, and fuckin' proud of it, bitches.) White Stripes -Seven Nation Army, The Strokes - 12:51, Television - Venus, The Libertines - Can't Stand Me Now, The Killers - Mr. Brightside, Modest Mouse - Float On, David Bowie - Rebel Rebel, The Velvet Underground - Rock 'n Roll, Interpol - Obstacle 1, and Coldplay - Clocks... I'm pretty sure that's it (tho not in order). There were one or two songs I didn't know.

Kings of Leon came on around 7:30 I think and played about 45 minutes...they were alright, but everyone was there for U2 (though at that point the arena was only half-full, it was packed by the time U2 came on) so as far as I was concerned anyway there were just delaying the main event. Plus they didn't seem very into it (except the bass player. He was really good and really energetic and such). It's like, c'mon guys, you're opening for U-fuckin-2. I can mathmatically (or at least logically) prove your lives are going downhill from this moment on (until the next time you open for U2, anyway), so you could at least TRY to pretend you're SLIGHTLY stoked.

Close to 9:00 Wake Up by Arcade Fire came on the loudspeakers...lights went down, everyone stood up, that voice started ("Everyone. Everyone. EVERYONE!"). People began cheering like mad as that grimy, industrial guitar started...the world's greatest band had arrived.

1. Love and Peace or Else - Dark stage. The band came out with spotlights; Larry and Bono were at the tip of the ellipse. What a way to start the show! Such attitude. The band played it perfectly, of course. I thought I was going to die after the bridge when Bono sang "Where is the love? Where is the love...LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE AND PEACE!" He fuckin' held that note FOREVER, and his voice was so DEEP and POWERFUL. It was back to the strength of the bloody Joshua Tree! Edge's solo was great, and Bono played drums...he continued the beat for I'd say at least four measures after the song was over.

As soon as LAPOE ended, I thought, okay, they're gonna do Sunday Bloody Sunday next. I'd been paying attention to the setlists and I had some bootlegs, so I totally knew what was coming. Except I didn't because they didn't go into SBS at all (they'd done this before at Seattle 1 at least, but I hadn't seen that setlist.)

2. Vertigo - Vertigo second song in! As much as I love the polit-rock set, I thought it was cool that U2 decided to just completely change their setlist order. And you really can't go wrong with an entire arena of people shouting "UNO! DOS! TRES! CATORCE!!!!" Bono sang the verses a little off-beat (intentionally I presume, he likes to play with rhythms and such) so it sounded a little odd, but once the band hit the chorus it was gold. Total crowd singalong, jumpalong. They didn't do the Stories for Boys bit, but they did extend the song as they always do. The stage lights were crazy! Red around the ellipse and some crazy shit came down on those beads of light. It was so cool.

3. Elevation - This is a song that a lot of people despise. And while it's true that it's a little low on the list of Brilliant U2 Songs, live it ROCKS. The whole arena was singing "WOOOOHOOO" (though Bono was singing too. He was hittin those falsettos like mad, yo!). In fact, we were singing along to the entire song... "a MOLE! diggin in a HOLE! diggin up my SOUL! now goin down EX-CA-VA-TION! i and i in the sky you make me feel like i can fly, so high, EL-E-VA-TION!" The best part was when the band kicked in and everyone was jumping and it ruled. Anyone that wants to remove Elevation from the setlist probably hasn't seen Vertigo Tour live yet... it's one of the more interactive songs and definitely high-energy. I thought it was better than Vertigo, myself.

4. An Cat Dubh - This was great... I've really come to appreciate the Boy album as of late, and this made me love it even more. They played it better than they ever have before (but besides this tour, when have they played it? Axver, info? I'm pretty sure they weren't doing it past War tour, and that was '83... talk about a welcome comeback!). It was very moody, with blue spotlights on the band members... toward the end, when the singing part was finished, Bono slowly went down on the ellipse and took a nap or something. Seriously, he laid down and didn't move until it was time to sing Into the Heart. I thought maybe he died or something.

5. Into the Heart - Essentially an extension of An Cat Dubh, but technically a song in itself... beautiful. Bono "woke up" and got up to sing his part obviously. Everything was perfect.

6. City of Blinding Lights – Wasn’t expecting this one so soon, I thought it’d be somewhere in the encore… the lights on this were amazing. The light curtains became a city in motion, essentially. It was especially cool during the bridge when they had Chinese (or Japanese, whatever) writing changing on the light curtains. It’s hard to describe but those who have seen it know what I’m talking about. The chorus was a perfect punch-along and the drums at the end of the song were especially good.

7. Beautiful Day – The band NAILED this one. Bono was falsettoing like mad!! I couldn’t believe he went so high on the re-e-e-EACH me part. Probably the first highlight of the show (with many more to come!) The end of the song (the slow part) was extended and they did a snippet of Blackbird…very, very cool.

8. Miracle Drug – Bono talked for awhile before the song (as he usually does), something about Chicago being a city of the future (I cheered even though I don’t live there :p). He also mentioned that Coldplay was in the arena…well, Mr. Martin, I hope you were taking good notes, because you’ve got a long way to go to become “bigger than U2.”

There were one or two false starts, but I hardly even noticed, just problems with the pre-recorded thing I guess. One the song took off, well, it took off! Edge’s solo was heavenly and he sang his verse perfectly from what I remember. The blue lights going around the ellipse were way cool.

9. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own – Wow. This was brilliant (and I love hearing songs in album order! That’s so cool!). The four split-screens were all different angles of Bono (who, I may add, looked incredibly good…honestly, when he takes off his sunglasses, he looks ten years younger! I kept thinking he looked like he did during ZooTV!). There was this walking man that would move from light curtain to light curtain. The whole song was sung well (some people said he hit a sour note, but I didn’t notice), especially the falsetto chorus, and “can you hear me when I….SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING” practically brought me to tears. I’d say it was the best Bomb track they did and highlight number two for me.

10. New Year’s Day – This song really made me miss my cell phone, because my cell phone had a New Year’s Day ringtone, and so hearing the intro to New Year’s Day reminded me of my ringtone, and that dumb bitch Dean Wright should give me back my cell phone because a cell phone is a dangerous thing and this is the twenty-first century, BITCH. And she’s just jealous that she didn’t see U2 on May 7th in Chicago and hear my ring tone except not a ring tone. Dumb bitch.

If the show wasn’t already awesome (which it was), then this is when it really started to pick up. Adam walked around the ellipse (which he did a lot during the show – at least three times I’d say!) and the song was played perfectly. My favourite part was clapping all fast during the bridge right before “I…will be with you again…” Bono sang NYD with gusto I haven’t heard in awhile.

11. Sunday Bloody Sunday – I loved the LAPOE-SBS-BTBS trio, but I have to say SBS sounded really good after NYD, too (and the crowd sure went wild!). This was one of the best versions I’ve heard in a long time! It was full of energy and the bridge was extended for an extra long time, but done so well as Bono was singing most of the time as opposed to giving some really long speech. At first he was singing a snippet of some song I didn’t know…it was really pretty, whatever it was. Then he did the coexist thing (Jesus-Jew-Mohammed-same? Something like that. He was pointing at the religious symbols on his bandana which rules and makes me think “NINJA BONO!!!” along with that jacket which I think rocks even though a lot of people say it’s fugly), then “NO MORE!” which totally rules to shout along to, then back to the actual song (“wipe your tears away…”). Sunday Bloody Sunday has always been one of my favourite U2 songs and I thought it had a lot of vigor Saturday night.

12. Bullet the Blue Sky – Overall good, I’d say. Edge’s solo was good but not nearly as good as, say, Phoenix 2 (based on the bootleg, obviously). I love the bits of “Johnny Comes Marching Home.” They’re very eerie. Probably the best part of this song was when Bono got on his knees, blindfolded, hands up. Talk about total HOTNESS. Then when he was walking toward the mic blindfolded with his hands out, slowly feeling for the mic… I liked that.

13. Running to Stand Still – Fucking gorgeous. Bono held some notes on harmonica for a really long time at the beginning of the song… he also had a guitar, I’m assuming he had one during the other shows too but I could never really hear it on the bootlegs. Obviously he didn’t play a whole lot but I could hear when he did. He even played a little “lead” part (very quietly, of course). He didn’t do the “still running…” part but he did do the hallelujah’s. Very, very well done.

At the end of the song they played that “nine minute human rights video” which was actually about a minute long. I thought it was cool, kinda unnecessary but whatever, U2’s always gotta make a point about something.

14. Bad – Oh. My. Fucking. God. This was probably the best part of the entire show. As soon as that synthesizer or whatever started, I screamed my lungs out (I felt a little out of place ‘cause I started screaming before most other people…). Bono gave a little speech about how the song had lifted many people, some of which were no longer with them, some who hopefully were… talked about getting the monkey off your back…and then when they actually did the song. Man. Just thinking about it gets me teary eyed, I’m dead serious! Infuckincredible. Bono sang it the best I have ever heard. He held those notes forever, and his voice was so deep-throated! He sounded so amazing!! And of course the band has this song down perfectly. Nice bridge with a snippet of “In the Garden” again (though before that he was whispering something, I don’t know if that’s part of the song or…?) My only complaint is I really, really wish the song would fade into Streets like it did on Elevation, because THAT was amazing… but this version of Bad was better than any I’ve ever heard. Just…wow. And the ending was really tight, it’s just that Bad lends itself so well to a fade-in.

15. Pride (In the Name of Love) – Like New Year’s Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride had an enthusiasm it hasn’t had in awhile. Edge’s solo may have been slightly off or something, but maybe I’m just crazy…regardless, Bono was actually SINGING the whole thing, and singing it well. The best part was doing the “Oh-oh-oh-oh’s” during Bono’s small little “speech” about Dr. King and well after the band had basically stopped playing… Bono prompted us to keep singing… it made for a really, really good transition to Streets. It seemed to go on longer than any of the bootlegs I’d heard, making a better build-up.

16. Where the Streets Have No Name – Honestly, I think it’s basically impossible for the band to mess this one up. The African flags coming down were really, really cool, but the best part was without a doubt the build-up during Bono’s “journey of equality” speech and then the final “release” when the whole band kicks in and it’s just heaven. One of the best parts of the show…I was jumping up and down like crazy, but who wasn’t?! The lights were AMAZING during this… I know there was at least one point (it was either what I was just talking about or toward the end when Bono explodes into the African chanting and the “Loooooooooooooooooooooooove”. Maybe both) when the house lights came on and it was so, so, SO beautiful. Streets was nothing short of rapture.

17. One – The two greatest songs ever written, back-to-back? I can dig it. Bono’s speech before One seemed short, but maybe that was just me. He talked about how politicians are getting bored of him (“They’re not the only ones…Bono gets bored of Bono sometimes”) and such. I love hearing that man talk. I love it even more when he sings, though, and he did well on One, and he also let the audience sing a line or two (of course we were singing along to the whole song). The screen was really, really cool… it was just Bono, but made out of little white pixels (kinda like the Popmart screen). Except, it zoomed in on the white pixels and they were actually faces of people (presumably from earlier before the band started), then it zoomed back out into Bono…I’m not sure how the fuck they managed that, but that was probably the coolest effect of the whole show, and it went perfectly with the song. Edge’s extended solo at the end was beautiful…I was a little disappointed that Bono didn’t do the extra verse but it was still really, really powerful with the “ooooooooOOOOOooooOOOOoooooh’s” at the end. What a perfect song.

The band went off-stage for the first encore… and before they launched into their Achtung set (though technically you could include One in that, but whatever) they brought back the lemon-boy!!!! With the slot machine and the little Zooropa alien lemon thing…it was so fucking awesome! I don’t know why but I really, really loved that part of the show…it made me nostalgic for a tour I was never at. Then when all four slots were the lemon it was like “What’s up? What’s up?” So cool. I want one.

18. Zoo Station – Holy Bono babies, U2 fucking NAILED this song! The lemon-boy slot machine really set the mood for me, and then the BRILLIANT intro (those drums. Those DRUMS!) and Bono prancing out in that sexy, sexy military-like outfit (god I love that hat. And Bono in it. And, well, Bono.) His stage presence during Zoo Station was incredible. He was marching and had the confident swagger of the ZooTV days…not to mention the fact that he got all the words right! I didn’t hear a single mistake! I’m so proud of him :D He sang with a deep-throated Zoo voice, too. The audience was chanting along with “It’s alright, it’s alright…” and Edge was walking around the ellipse and his solo at the end was great and really the whole song was flawless. Based on the bootlegs I’d heard, much as I liked the song I honestly thought it might get dropped… no way it’s getting dropped now. It was actually one of my favourite parts of the whole concert!

19. The Fly – Well this was nothing short of “brilliamt” (which is better than brilliant, I’ll tell ya that). Before Bono kept repeating the phrase “We do the show, we do the business, but this is not show business” or something like that, which was a little weird but totally set the mood. U2 got the intro perfect and Bono got almost all the words right, I think he maybe messed up once but it wasn’t too noticeable and didn’t throw off the song or anything. The lights during the song were like the ZooTV screens, flashing the different sayings (beLIEve, Everything you know is wrong, ect.), which was another nice throwback to ol’ Zoo tour. It was kinda hard to read what they were saying from my angle at least, but it still ruled. Edge ROCKED his solo and the third “Loooooove…” was perfect with Edge going totally crazy. I think the best part, though, was the ending, which was tighter than any version I’ve heard. Rock ‘n roll perfection.

20. Mysterious Ways – I was kinda hoping for Until the End of the World, but my disappointment was short-lived… totally groovy song, great performance. Adam was on the ramp again. During the bridge before Edge’s big slide-in solo, Bono gave Adam a hug. It was really sweet (and hot, duh). Then when Edge came in they did a bullfight, I guess you could say… Bono motioned Adam his way and kinda “led” him back to stage. It was totally hawt and the band rawked this song up, yo.

After MW they left stage again before coming back for the final encore.

21. All Because of You – Now there’s some rock ‘n roll! No Bono sex noises though. In my Seattle 2 bootleg there were totally some really really hot Bono sex noises, but none this performance. Oh well, the band still rocked!

22. Yahweh – I’m still a little lukewarm on the acoustic version (and I really wanted to hear Original of the Species), but it’s really starting to grow on me… it’s very intimate. The band members made their way one by one to the center of the ellipse during the song, and of course Larry did the synth. And man is that boy skinny. There was something very moving about the entire arena singing “Yahweh, Yahweh…”

23. 40 – There is no other song to end the show, in my opinion. I love it. I love how Adam and Edge trade instruments and I love Larry’s awesome drums that start the song (Bono: “Drum solo!”) and the blatantly spiritual lyrics (even though I’m not religious at all) and of course the fact that it’s THE audience singalong. After the verses (which, by the way, are basically from the psalm 40… so yes, Steven, U2 ARE smart enough to write about Bible verses, so don’t be dumb), Bono took a spotlight and shined it around the audience…it was kinda like doing the wave, you’d put your hands up when the spotlight was on you…I loved it. Then he left, then Adam left, then Edge, then Larry had the beat almost stop…then he started it over again, then he left… one of the most uplifting parts of the show was exactly after the entire band had left. The whole audience continued singing “How long to sing this song?” and we even started synchronized clapping…we were singing for at least five minutes after the band had left, ‘til whenever the lights came back on. I almost thought the band would come back out! It was a really, really amazing moment for me…a reminder that I am a part of something much bigger than myself.

Some general notes:

- Bono had his shades off for about half the show! It was nice, especially compared to the San Diego show where he had his sunglasses on for basically the whole concert…Bono looks so much younger without his shades, and it somehow makes the show seem more intimate and legitimate.

- After Bono, I’d say Adam was the liveliest and most audience-interactive…he was walking around the ellipse a whole lot, more than Edge even. At one point Bono was randomly like “Sexy man!”

- The B-man interacted with the band a lot; especially Adam…he also interacted with the audience of course. He tried to get everyone involved in the concert somehow. I noticed whenever he was on the ellipse he kept singing to our side (I was on stage left).

- Speaking of the audience, damn what a crowd! The crowd was singing along to every song and cheering and jumping and just in general everyone seemed to be really, really into it. Except this one lady next to me. Her husband or boyfriend or whatever was obviously a big fan, I talked to him for awhile, and he was into it…not really jumping around insanely like I was but he was singing along and at least stood up almost the whole time…this dumb bitch was standing next to me, completely expressionless, during the first few songs, then she SAT DOWN for the rest of the show. What a dumb hag. That guy probably bought her a $90 ticket and she sat down the whole time without even a mild interest in what was going on. He needs to dump her sad ass and go out with…well, anyone else there, because the crowd was GREAT. Really, really GREAT.

- No one got pulled up on stage… I’m not really disappointed, just mildly surprised.

- U2 is without a doubt the best fucking band on the planet!!!!

Sooooooooooooooooooo… that ends my long-ass review of a bloody brilliant concert. After the show, Alec and I tried to stalk the band, but to no avail… I was trying to find some crazy-looking PLEBA girls or something that looked determined, but all I found was two sad-looking girls that said people that worked for the UC said the band had already left. We didn’t know what hotel they were staying at and we were fairly tired, so we gave up… as Alec said, “Oh well, that’s what Cleveland is for.” Now I can’t bloody wait ‘til December 10th!

For the first time in 14 shows, I went to this concert by myself. I got a great seat off of Ticketmaster Friday at about 2:00 AM. I was on the road less than 8 hours later (long drive). Being by myself was an experience...it allowed me to focus completely on the band and the music and Bono's singing. This review here, this is what I remember of the show. I don't mind that others were disappointed or didn't like the band's political/religious messages. I just had a totally different experience than most of the folks who have submitted a review, until I read this one. I won't repeat what I agree with, except to say that Bad was simply the best live performance of any song, ever. Yeah, it's my favorite, but this one was really special. Before the song, Bono said "This song is about letting go of what you don't need in your life...kinda like getting that monkey off you're back. So whatever's got you by the throat, whatever's choking you, or got you by the tail, or got you by the balls...whatever it is, let it go..."

That was the perfect lead in to what for me was the perfect song played that night for very personal reasons.

Atomic Bono, thanks for the long review and I'm glad that someone else saw the concert the same way I did. I truly loved every minute of it.

Chicago 5/7 **read** reviewing the reviews!

I love all of you! You are such die hard, dedicated fans! i would not call all of you objective, but i have enjoyed reading your reviews of all the Chicago shows.. here is mine, get ready for some serious name dropping/bragging..

After being in GA for both nights of San Jose shows and brushing up against Sean Penn (he was exitting the show at the same time i was exitting the bathroom) and almost getting run over by Steve Jobs and his children enroute to the soundboard.. (actually almost run over by stadium security that formed a circle around him, his kids, and his personal security).. i was ready for a great show, and had anticipated seeing some celebs..

We (me and childhood friend from CA Chris) arrived @ the United Center after a day of heavy drinking that started when Chris ordered a pitcher of bloody mary's via room service @ the Hard Rock Hotel (hung w/ keyboard player from 9 inch nails @ 300 am that morning @ lobby bar) and a fun afternoon on Rush street. We were dissapointed that there were only a handful of U2 fans @ Finn Mc Cools, but not as dissapointed as we were that Spanish Chestnut blew his 3 furlong lead @ the KY Derby (laid 100$ on him @ absurd odds). We hopped out of the cab at the UC and were @ Band Will Call within 5 minutes. there were several hippster mid-30's types in front of us, most of whom it turned out had no tix waiting for them.. our tickets and Ellipse wristbands were found instantly, we were so stoked!

KOL was opening w/ Molly's Chambers as we were walking down to get our tix/wristbands checked for 4th time. Living in Nashville most of the year I am very familiar w/ Kings, and would call myself a fan.. i hung w/ them briefly after SJ II show and even got into the private party @ Pagoda w/ Matthew Sunday night (saw Edge in a deep convo w/ Lars Ulrich in the corner, while Lars bodyguard/buddy was sizing me up and later asked me how much i weighed.. wierd) no Bono Adam or Larry though.
KOL is more cool and charasmatic than talented, more original than polished. I enjoy their energy and their short hooky "southern garage rock sound".. they have evolved into a great live act. the Nashville music scene has not embraced them the way they should, but you can add Ryan Adams and Josh Rouse to that list...(great artists!!)
i introduced myself to Betty Ann (their mother, who got a Happy Mothers day shout out from Caleb) she was awsome.. very sweet and proud of her boys. KOL has honed their live act and in my opinion was much more well recieved in Chicago, most people dont get them, concert goers in SJ actually booed them both shows.. Between Bono and Edge hand picking them as their opening act, and the fact that they headline in Europe i hope America catches on soon.

U2 came out smoking.. the "in between music" is amazing, Wake Up by the Arcade Fire being the highlight! then the spotlight lap by the band (the ellipse is not packed so you can move freely) i told Betty Ann and her crew to anticipate the drum being put on the near tip of the circle (I should not have ruined the suprise.. and how quickly and subtly does the roady get the drum out there?) Love and Peace was on! the crowd went crazy as Bono put a hurting on the solitarty drum.. bad back? i didn't notice during the show, but in hindsight he did not move around as much as in San Jose, luckily he spent a lot of time on the front-right part of the ellipse, which was near where we were standing..
everyone has said U2 butchered Vertigo, i didn't notice, it was not the most climactic version they have played, but it seemed clean.. Elevation was seemless, i remembered Bono was going to set us up with the addtional verse before the band ripped into the music.. Miracle Drug was also seemles, Bono just got a little long winded and had Edge delay the intro.. they hardly started it over in my estimation. the other highlights of the show were defintiley Sometimes, Bad and Running.. "hale hale, halleiluah" amazing!! no added verses to the One, a little dissapoirted and embarrassed because i began to belt out "you hear me coming love" and was 2 verses deep before i realized Bono had not joined me.. my personal fav was the goosestepping/police hat wearing Bono on ZOO and The Fly..
Lowlights: Sycophants ignoring the show and taking camera phone pics of the chisled face Gwenyth (very defined features, i was about 10 feet. real dissapointed in her entourage of blondes.. good style, good hair, but not cute).. Gwen was singing along with every word of ZOO, FLY an MYST Ways.. Chris was posted up behind her, in a black hooded sweatshirt (hood was up the entire time) he was also really into the show, jumping and singing along.. i got a very cool vibe from him.. he obviously is on another level artisically, but did not seem cocky or arrogant. i did not approach either of them, not because of what had to be stadium security, this dude looked like the old man @ the bar/golds gym type.. i was actually embarrassed for a few girls that had migrated around us during the show.. they were almost invading Gwen and Chris privacy turned all their attention to taking pics of them and standing over thier shoulders.. Gwen made an exit after Myst Ways, Chris stuck it out chanting along w/ a great version of 40.
wow.. i ran out of gas.. my review was more of KOL and opening events leading up to the show, and less of U2.. they were amazing again.. people are always going to say "this show was better/not as good as that show" the fact is, there are high points and lowlights to every show.. the crowd and the energy/passion of the band make the experience.. U2 was passionate and energetic. i will say the crowd was better on 5/7 than both nights in San Jose.. as an outsider to Chi town, you all rock!

Geoff

On May 7th, I set forth for what I was sure would be one of the best days of my life. I had been preparing for my favorite band’s show, U2, since January 29, when I stood all morning in line at the ticketmaster booth to get 2 General Admission “on the floor” tickets. I put on my homemade “Vertigo” shirt and picked up my girlfriend and at about 8:00 in the morning we left for Chicago.

We arrived at around 11:30 at the General Admission line and found out that we were the 248th and 249th people to do so. We set down camp and prepared for a long day of anticipation and waiting. As we waited for the concert to start, I went around and interviewed many of the huge U2 fans (some of who had been waiting in line since 10 A.M. the previous day). Excitement was in the air. I got to interview ruffian, ally, chizip, and the crazy guy with "Vertigo Tour Central" written on his Van. One of the best parts of the whole experience occurred when a person filming for the official tour DVD, interviewed me and Celeste talking about U2, showing off our homemade shirts, and singing “Vertigo”.

Before too long, we were let in to the arena. Me and Celeste weren’t beeped in but we got a great position outside the ellipse, edge-side, about 6 rows away from the walkway. After a so-so opening act performance of hillbilly rockers “Kings of Leon”, U2 started.

Our first glimpse of the band was them walking around the ellipse with spotlights shining at the crowd as the opening notes to the song “Love and Peace” played. I couldn't believe I was seeing the band so close up, it was a euphoric experience. The band had some noticeable trouble with "Vertigo" and was in an interesting fetal position for alot of "An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart" Then came my girlfriends favorite part of the performance, “City of Blinding Lights” which gave us a complete sensory experience the lights and confetti mixture are incredible.

"Beautiful Day" really got the crowd into the performance, everyone was estatic during that song. "Miracle Drug" had Bono talking about how Chicago was the city of the future. The performance was probably the best I had heard of it ever, Edge's solo was incredible. “Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own” sounded much better to me than it did the second night, Bono held "the note" for a very long time, his voice was on. "New Year's Day" sounded much better than I expected it to and really really had the crowd going crazy. Me and my girlfriend did a semi-slow dance to "Running to Stand Still".

Then came “Bad.” I started screaming because I didn't expect it at all, and Bono gave a speech about "hope" and "getting the monkey off your back". His voice sounded incredible, especially on the high notes. During “Where the Streets Have No Name”, Bono came right over to where I was and started singing. I was jumping up and down too much to get any pictures tho. My girlfriend said she nearly started crying during "One", it was an emotional experience.

The Zoo TV threesome was completly awesome, I had never heard of the slot machine opening to Zoo Station and it was really cool, seeing Edge in the smoke approaching us was a definte highlight, and I was able to shoot a few great pictures.
I've always loved U2's spiritual side, so it was very fitting for me for U2 to end with three of their most spiritual songs. Yahweh was especially great and Bono adlibbed a few lines about chicago at the end -- "take this windy city, ..... "take this cities heart, don't let it break". Very Intimate. During 40 the crowd continued to sing “how long to sing this song” for probably five minutes after the band left the stage. Amazing!!!

I could hardly drive home I was so excited about what I had experienced, and I know I will remember it forever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom