March 26, Los Angeles Dress Rehearsal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it was awesome ! first of all, bono tore his face off and lo and behold he is an alien. the typical scary lizard type (not t5he passive friendly looking type with big heads)

then bono gave the american government a book in his language. the title tanslated to "how to serve man".

unfortunately, after loading up the crowd, a team of code crackers raced to the ship in desperation, as they found out the book was really a cookbook.

lucky for me though, I didn't really feel like goign for a ride because i figured if the ship travelled near the speed of light, there would be enormous time dilation and i might return to earth years later.

True story
I never lie.

Hank

I heard they didnt play any songs, just changed their clothes a bunch of times.

But Bono wore his little black dress and looked dazzling, while Larry definitely hated his Dior gown because it made him look frumpy.:wink:

Now that was fuckin brilliant! I didnt think I was going to get there in time. I had to work until 3:00. I was told it was going to start at 4:30 and I got there with minutes to spare. There was around 200 people waiting to get in. Met up with Pubcrawler and we waited around for about an hour or so. Then this guy came out and said we had 3 minutes to take our cell phones back to our cars, get back and we would be let in. I didnt think I would make it in time so I found a couple who were parked close and gave them my phone - Thanks Kevin & Kim. We all went in - contest winers to the right - Gate crashers to the left. We were all at the sides - Up to 300 people now. The floor was empty.
I see a thread on the setlists page with more info.
WTF - Bono on drums????
Thanks also to u2rulesmyworld for keeping me updated as I was driving up.
Hey - the price was right - The cheapest concert I have ever been too.
Almost as good as a Saturday afternoon at Old Traford ;-)

Well, I went and I was a little disappointed to be honest. The show was too similar to the Elevation tour for my liking. The Elevation shows were good but I expected U2 to be at least a little more ambitious this time. I'm holding out some hope that maybe they didn't want to show their entire hand during a rehearsal show. Maybe that's the case.

Anyway, I'm too tired to post a complete blow by blow, but highlights for me included Love & Peace Or Else, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, 40. Pride sounded great. So did Zoo Station. I also liked the understated version of Stuck In A Moment they played tonight.

Lowlights included: City of Blinding Lights opening the show. It's just not an exciting enough song to kick off a show. As mentioned above, fairly boring staging & lighting. Also, the Human Bill of Rights thing went on forever. I don't know if we have to have every word of that read to us, but if they are going to insist on it, at least put some interesting images up on the video screen.

Every tour there's some song from the newest album that I think they should play and that inevitably doesn't make the cut (not regularly anyway). For PopMart, it was Do You Feel Loved. Last tour it was Kite. Looks like this time around it's going to be Crumbs From Your Table. I was very disappointed not to hear that song. That said, it was a free show so I'm certainly happy I went. They played what appeared to be a full concert. I talked briefly afterwards to a guy who seemed to be in charge of getting fans from the busses to the arena and back. Anyway, he said they had been told that U2 was going to start the show at 5 pm and that they were only going to play for 45 minutes. So that was nice that they treated us to the whole thing. He called it the first concert of their Vertigo tour at one point. That got the crowd going.

Anyway, that's all I got for now. I'm too tired to write coherently. I apologize for any run-on sentences, dangling participles or other grammatical errors contained above.

Off to bed now...

thanks for putting me down and now im in a bad mood:mad:

nikko if what you said is true then it sounds like a booring show?

maby they should get in some screens or dancers to spice it up!

some setlidt...really looking forward to seing them... 4 Boy songs!!!

Setlist:
City of Blinding Lights
The Electric Co.
An Cat Dubh
Into The Heart
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Elevation
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Yahweh
Bullet The Blue Sky / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
Running To Stand Still
Zoo Station
The Fly
Vertigo / Stories For Boys (snippet)
encore(s):
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One
All Because Of You

Eliv8 said:
Almost as good as a Saturday afternoon at Old Traford ;-)

So you like them prawn sandwiches I see...

Next season Mick McCarthys Redn' White Army are gonna eat Roy Keane for breakfast and nick all 6 points of you lot!

Every tour there's some song from the newest album that I think they should play and that inevitably doesn't make the cut (not regularly anyway). For PopMart, it was Do You Feel Loved. Last tour it was Kite. Looks like this time around it's going to be Crumbs From Your Table. I was very disappointed not to hear that song. That said, it was a free show so I'm certainly happy I went. They played what appeared to be a full concert. I talked briefly afterwards to a guy who seemed to be in charge of getting fans from the busses to the arena and back. Anyway, he said they had been told that U2 was going to start the show at 5 pm and that they were only going to play for 45 minutes. So that was nice that they treated us to the whole thing. He called it the first concert of their Vertigo tour at one point. That got the crowd going.

[/B]

Kite was played on most of Elevation wasnt't it?

JulioArca said:

Kite was played on most of Elevation wasnt't it?

Hmmm...could be. I saw them play three times on that tour though, each in a different city, and they didn't play at any of the shows I attended. Could have been just my bad luck.

The dress rehearsal - gnarly as hell

It was fucking amazing. I just got home literally. I flew out on Thursday from Philadelphia and got into LA and just took it easy with some longtime friends, smoking copious amounts of weed and listening to the Arcade Fire and going to some old haunts before the show last night.

Finally yesterday arived, unshaven, going on virtually no sleep, me and my friend Elisha stumbled onto the U2 show that we knew was going on but couldnt find where haha. Were pointed in the right direction by some great gals and made our way to the front as only we can.

If you were there you may have seen me, I was loud, obnoxious and a geniune fun lad. The dark glasses were very rockstarish of me.

Bono is the no longer the Fly, MacPhisto, whatever, he's now the D&G Pimp and Jay-Z or some other rapper should bestow him that as his ghettofab title. The glasses, the killer leather top. He looked and played the part of the coolest mother fucker in rock to a tee. It was a no frills, no bullshit approach by the entire band.

COBL was intense, the old stuff a thrill and the entire arrangement with about 500 or so people (my estimation) in attendance was jacked up. It was unreal just being there. I wanted to stay and go down to SD for tomorrow but I just couldnt fit it with work and crap. Ah well, still have my shows in May.

The stage was nothing totally out of the ordinary really. I was expecting more to be honest with the build up, however it was by no means a let down. The opening was just stunning. The lights and the sound and ambiance was almost overwhelming.

It was a shock hearing some of the old tunes. I have never heard any of that stuff live other than on bootleg. It was definitely a fans show. The band were having a blast too which was a great sight to see, no matter how often you do.

Went to an afterparty last night which was cool too, didn't get to meet any of the band members :-( but I did have a convo with a member of the crew which was interesting to say the least. The best quote was that this was the tip of the iceberg. This show is going to evolve as the tour goes on.

One bad thing - the bill of rights thing during RTSS, total drag and killed the momentum. Was built back up fairly quickly but it was definitely the low point. Bah.

That sounds absolutely amazing. So many songs I can't wait to hear from that setlist. I'm intrigued by how Yahweh is going to sound, I'm sure I read somewhere that Adam Clayton said the band were really looking forward to doing that one live, yet one guy said it was terrible. Any opinions on how Yahweh sounded? Is Love and Peace or Else as good live as has been made out? I can't wait to hear that, I love it recorded.

Back
Top Bottom