June 18th London - Twickenham Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One amazing show

Absolutely stunning. Knocked Elevation Tour on it's ass. Good support from Doves and Athlete, but there really is nothing like 70,000 people cheering when the boys took to the stage. Now I have seen it, I can say that nothing has lost energy. Every song was powerful and the stadium loved every bit of it. The screen was immense. A lot taller than PopMart but not as wide, the b-stages were really well used. Adam went out about three times, Edge made about 7 or 8 trips, Bono spent a fair bit of time out in the crowd also. There were no surprises or new songs thrown in tonight but considering it was broadcast live, I was more than happy with what they played. Got full band versions of All I Want Is You and ISHFWILF which the crowd loved, COBL and LAPOE were amazing, Pride into Streets worked a treat, and there were some great moments during Mysterious Ways with Edge and a Handycam! Graphics and light show were unbeleivable and it really didn't dent the show while it was still light as the lights were so powerful but as it turned to dusk, the show kicked into a new gear. It was my wife's first time seeing U2 and she was gobsmacked. As Bono said "sexy London Town". He was right!

Firstly I should say that last night was my first ever U2 concert, being a young but dedicated and obsessive fan, and so I have nothing to compare it to except other bands.

And to briefly do just that, I have to say it was (of course) the best 'gig' (how about blinding stadium rock show) I've ever been to (Beating Muse at V2004).

To begin with, the support act suprised me. I didn't realise Doves were appearing too. Made a perfect day even better.

The show really rocks. I've been downloading shows and following setlists but nothing compares to the real thing. From Vertigo and I Will Follow through to Beautiful Day (first 7 songs) the pace doesn't let up.

Then they give us two fantastic (and rare on this tour) songs in Still Haven't Found and AIWIY, before telling us we're going "live to the BBC" ("all I want is.... yoooo-oooouuu").

Witnessing a very active and very cool Adam is musical history (lol), with Bono laughing and hailing him as a "local" guy to the delight of the crowd as Clayton played alone out on one of the B-Stages.

It just gets better and better - COBL introduces the enormous Popmart style wall of light and we get a handful of songs from HTDAAB.

Miracle Drug is perhaps the weakest song of the set but still very very good.

Love and Peace has the comic drummer-Bono, which is almost cringeworthy. I think his drum has a mic on it now? It seemed to be Bono playing, not Larry.

Sunday Bloody Sunday was awesome. Not a favourite album track of mine, it became one of the more memorable songs of the night. The screen really starts to impress during Bullet.

Running to Stand Still is Joshua Tree era-esque and the Declaration of Human Rights doesn't kill the momentum as I thought it would.

Pride and Streets as individual songs were so good I cannot describe - you can imagine. However, it was the link that let it down. I read elsewhere that it didn't work in Manchester as the crowd stopped singing the "oh-oh-oh-oh"s. This was the case here. Bono had to really force it through, but there were a few moments of almost awkward silence when the segue completely broke down. It didn't really matter to me so much, but to people who have witnessed Running to Stand Still-Streets, Please-Streets, Bad-Streets and AIWIY-Streets links would probably be quite disappointed.

The phones/lighters/cameras effect during One is stunning.

Having never been to the Achtung/Zoo-era shows the encore was a great taste of this, with Bono as the police officer (or whatever uniform it is), the amazing light show and combination of Zoo Station-Fly-Mysterious Ways. The volume was turned up here and these three really took the show to new heights. The word-based video for the Fly is very impressive and Mysterious Ways is, of course, unbelievably funky. The girl pulled on stage appeared terrified, but it really added to the song.

As the band moved into Yahweh without going off stage for a 2nd encore Bono explained that they were working to a "strict curfew". This received the booo's of the crowd, and Bono commented that the rugby don't "get this kind of shit".

The band have been criticised for playing Vertigo twice in the set, and to be honest I probably would have wept with joy and died happily if they'd closed with a 10-minute rendition of Bad, but the 2nd Vertigo really REALLY rocked Twickenham. I couldn't hear my own screaming of the words.

I had ridiculously high expectations of the band. I knew fairly well what the setlist would be. I knew all the little things, vocally and physically, Bono and the others would do during the show. It's sad, I know, but having never had the chance to see them I get obsessive lol.

Having said that, they met and exceeded every expectation. I don't know how it compares to other fan experiences and I would love to know, but personally it was the best gig (or whatever) I've ever been to.

Fantastic,back of the sitting area the crowd was dissapointing,it was so hot I think a lot of people were just exhausted before they got in,

The setlist-pure amazing,I could not have asked for more,RTSS FANTASTIC,two vertigos were great,SYCMIOYO was a lot more emotional then id ever heard before,streets and Sunday blew me away,they were on top form,Im not sure if ive heard Bono ever sing better,the drum part was so funny,the ligh show was perfect

10 out of 10 just wish the crowd was more active,irs a little off putting when people are sitting down throughout the whole thing,wasnt to impressed with the way the crowd was all going of to get drinks ALL the way through it,with that being said I enjoyed it greatly

Where were you sat sam? Back of the top tier?

I was in section 34, at the back of the lower tier (east stand), and the crowd was v good there, nobody sat down or left throughout.

I was exhausted, and Athlete did their best to put me to sleep, but I soon woke up again :rockon: lol

June 18th

Being up in the stands gave me a chance to cool down, thank god. Twickenham - a tough venue to get to and even harder to get away from!

As for the show, I liked the way is really rocked at first - Vetigo, I Will Follow etc, before the more mellow stuff. However, the whole thing was undermined by the quality of the sound - Edge's guitar needed to be turned up and it was hard to hear Bono. Streets was great, but again the sound did not help. Zoo Station was just an inaudible rumble.

Daylight undermined the visual side of things as well, as I think they would admit themselves if one is to believe Willie's diary on the official U2 site. Overall, I am glad I went but U2 should do themselves and their fans a favour and stay indoors.

Back
Top Bottom