7 November 2006 Brisbane QSAC Stadium - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > U2 Show Reviews
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ruffian
A friend of mine just emailed from Brisbane and said I could post his review of the show here. I didn't see the show, so these are not MY opinions. The friend who sent it has been seeing U2 since the 80's and went to lots of shows last year, so an interesting basis for comparison. Here goes:

I can easily describe their performance in one word: Rusty. They fucked up so many transitions. Came to a complete stop after SBS and Larry had to count them into Bullet. Bono's voice wasn't on, either. The crowd was also not nearly what we have come to expect. Only one Wow! after Streets, and that was from memory. Bono spent all of his time on the Adam runway. I got a rail spot about halfway back on the outside of Edge's side. Got there at 9:50 and was 426, someone told me, which sounds about right. Got a bit sunburned, which is fine. Setup outside was great. London-style zig-zag barricades set up to wait in. Lots of security personnel. Worked just great until the very last step, when they let us in, then it all fell apart. lol. Doors open, GO! Shirts are the same design but different dates. Some have all the dates, some Australia only. $45AUD. Kanye has a slightly different set up than last time and the reception for him was relatively quiet, too. The funniest part for me was at the end when the local guy next to me who had only seen them once before in his life turned to me and said "That was a bit rusty, wasn't it?" lol. Luckily not one person asked me what I thought of it, altho I heard some say it was awesome, so there is no way I would have rained on their parade. It was still a good show by all accounts, but by our standards it is the worst I have seen them play since the opener in Vegas in '97.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trayzee
Saw the show Tuesday Night and was fantastic, loved how they changed the set of songs for this leg of the tour and show actually sentimally reminded me of Zoo Tv and Elevation tour.
(With the background themes etc)
Loved how they had J howard up there on the screens and I was actually dreading the "MPH" speech but he was short and sweet with it.

Everyone was up and dancing by the 5th song (seeing a 60ish bloke dancin in the aisles was great.+ beach balls beeing thrown my way gave this show a feeling of unity

Loved the performance of Miss Sarajeo ( singing opera unreal!!)
Kite was fantastic and the releasing of a Kite .

Loved it when they sung Saints and was hoping for "Walk On" to be performed.

Personally I feel we would not have got a show with such energey and passion , if they had carried on the tour in March. Sure the show would have been good, Im glad they had the break.
Thought the mic was a little odd, but you are bound to have a few glitchs,
thats why being at the 1st show is sometimes the best.

If i had to complain it would have been about the security and seating, bloody shambles, considering I was there for a top price seat and they couldnt seat me , until seconds before the lads hit the stage . I was p****off with that. and i was there early,
and no bag checks either, if someone had wanted to do something really stupid , they could have wiped the place out.

Brilliant, Brilliant show and Im sure it will just get better & better.

How I envy you all in Sydney and Melbourne.
Have a brilliant time all!
SOUNDS AMAZING!!!! Congratulations to all who saw it!

Old 11-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:03 PM

well I barely wish to waste my time here with such horrid words displayed at the top of both these pages. It is someone's opinion and I respect their right to have one that is different to mine
but man I have just returned home from 6 of the most extraordinary days of my life. From start to finish I have met so many wonderful caring people, a high percentage of them Irish btw ( icing on my happy cake, one of them said I have a "beautiful voice" singing U2 songs on the bus, a Mercedes bus. another of my little dreams come true. I'd have preferred a sportscar , but a bus will do for now). Now to me that is a compliment of the highest order coming from an Irishman. So many new friends, maybe people I'll never ever see again, but the memory is precious.

Anyway, I had the time of my life and I owe it all to U2. Their music has seen me through thick and thin, extreme joy and extreme sorrow. Not once have they ever let me down. They lives have exceeded my wildest dreams...and it's not over yet!!!
Oi, why couldn't the Melbourne Cup have been run over a few more metres? I had Poprock for a win and I had Delta Blues in in the trifecta **blames Raf for Dolphin Jo...possibly maybe better)

As for the concert in Brisbane on Tuesday night, "more than words" except for welcoming them to my home, if for an ever so brief period of time.

Cooooooooooooooooooooooo-eeeeeeee

Come ye back
Please
Old 11-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:03 PM
PS: Bono did it again!! The storm-bringer.
When I first saw the in 1995, a huge electrical storm brewed up and the little town near to where i live ( 4 hours from brisbane) was annihilated by a tornado. Mr Hewson still owes me a church.

Hub now tells me there was a series of electrical storms here on Tuesday night. Fortunately no where near as violent as the '95 one.

You are a powerful man Bono and so is your band. I do believe someone up there likes you four. I know I do.

on the road again

Bono at my friend's house

a new friend at Bono's temporary house
Old 11-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

Old 11-09-2006, 09:12 AM   #21
Babyface

Local Time: 12:03 PM
actually i think i was polite, just hate seeing such negativity alot of people would love to be at these shows, sorry if i offended you personally but i am entitled to my say like everyone else, the majority of people liked the show and had only good things to say didnt they?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:20 AM   #22
Babyface

actually you are right lol, it just makes my blood boil when i read bad reviews, i will have to stop raising to the bait. anyway if i offended you i apologize. kaz666
Old 11-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by ruffian

Old 11-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

Old 11-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by kaz666
actually you are right lol, it just makes my blood boil when i read bad reviews, i will have to stop raising to the bait. anyway if i offended you i apologize. kaz666
i really don't mind disagreement! it's just that a bad review isn't "bait." It's just another opinion.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #26
Babyface

well like i said certainley didnt mean to offend anyone and i was gracious enough to apologize to you twice, if somebody had done that to me then i would have had the decency to accept their apology, you obviousley didnt want to do that, also may i explain that here in England even though we speak the same language, sometimes words are used to different effect ie 'rise to the bait' obviousley one of them, likewise 'shut up and enjoy the shows' is such an off the cuff remark can,t believe somebody would take an offence to that anyway. giving apologys like i did and accepting not or otherwise is universally the same. i certainley wont waste anymore time over this matter.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #27
Babyface

Local Time: 11:03 AM
It was my email to Ruffian that she posted and you all reacted to. I have no problems with what was said after it. I am a long time fan and after returning from the shows I have now seen them 70 times and that is the only perspective I can comment on it from. I stand by everything I said in my email. I would say that email was also sent to someone that has seen them many, many times and so I knew she would understand what I was talking about. As for the rest of you I can only say this: That was a rusty show and all the subsequent shows point that out. They were a noticeable improvement. I would never say the Brisbane show or any other show was 'bad' and I didn't say it was. U2 are a great band and they have a great show. All they need to do is come out and play it and it will never be bad. I said they sounded rusty and messed up quite a few times. They did. That didn't ruin the show for me or anyone else. There are subtleties that make certain shows stand out as better or worse only within that standard. I hope this clears this up for some, at least.